Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bruce Arians: QB class is nothing special

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Bruce-Arians-Rookie-QBs-dont-have-wow-factor.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

“I don’t know how many of them have a ‘wow’ factor, but there are some really, really good ones, guys that are going to play in the league for a long time,” Arians said. “I don’t see an Andrew Luck, a Ben Roethlisberger or Peyton Manning, but I do see some guys that are very capable of playing.”

I agree that there is no star quarterback in this class. Bridgewater, Manziel, and Bortles are all good but none of them can bring their team to the playoffs alone unless the team has a talent on both sides of the field (Texans, Bucs, Vikings). 

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Bruce-Arians-Rookie-QBs-dont-have-wow-factor.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

I agree that there is no star quarterback in this class. Bridgewater, Manziel, and Bortles are all good but none of them can bring their team to the playoffs alone unless the team has a talent on both sides of the field (Texans, Bucs, Vikings). 

Players of Luck, Manning and Roethlisberger ability are far and few between. I think one of the lesser known QBs coming out this season might become as good or better than the high advertised ones.

Out of the teams that has the most talent minus a QB, the Browns probably have the most talent, IMO on their roster. I could be wrong but if the Browns land a QB, more than anyone else, they could make the most noise out of all QB needy teams. The Texans would be next.

Arians is one of the few guys who keeps it real when it comes to the draft. He said the same thing last year. And he was right. I personally think Aaron Murray is the best kept secret of his draft. If he wouldn't have gotten injured and finished the season strong, I think he's a first round pick.

I'm driving the Logan Thomas hype train. I don't care what anybody says. Choo-Choo!!

Everyone likes someone.    And everyone doesn't like someone else.

We all see the same thing differently.

Me?    Not a Logan Thomas fan.    And I grant that he's the most physically talented QB in the draft.

But I'm very much not a fan of his.     If he goes to the right team with a good and patient coaching staff, then he might turn into something.     But if he goes to the wrong team,  then he'll disappear like so many other QB's who get drafted and don't turn into anything.     It's all about fit.....    he's got to go to the right team.

Everyone likes someone.    And everyone doesn't like someone else.

We all see the same thing differently.

Me?    Not a Logan Thomas fan.    And I grant that he's the most physically talented QB in the draft.

But I'm very much not a fan of his.     If he goes to the right team with a good and patient coaching staff, then he might turn into something.     But if he goes to the wrong team,  then he'll disappear like so many other QB's who get drafted and don't turn into anything.     It's all about fit.....    he's got to go to the right team.

FWIW Greg Cossell and a bunch of scouts have said that he's further along as a passer than Cam Newton was coming out of college. 

FWIW Greg Cossell and a bunch of scouts have said that he's further along as a passer than Cam Newton was coming out of college. 

Yeah.....   I did indeed see the Cosell story.....

Believe me, I'd love to talk to him about that view....    let's just say I respectfully disagree.

Maybe. IMO He needs to sit out for a year or two or he's going to bust spectacularly. He has a lot of talent tho. 

I completely agree with that.  I'm of the belief that all QBs need to sit out a year before they take the helm.  Only the once in a generation types can start immediately and succeed.  But even then, I'd prefer they sat a year. 

Out of the teams that has the most talent minus a QB, the Browns probably have the most talent, IMO on their roster. I could be wrong but if the Browns land a QB, more than anyone else, they could make the most noise out of all QB needy teams. The Texans would be next.

Famous-Browns-Jersey.jpg

For the record I think your right. . . but they will screw it up, because they are the Browns.  

I think Arians is right.....   there is no sure fire first round QB talent that you feel is going to lift his team to playoff level and make them an annual contender.    Not a franchise QB.

But,   wouldn't surprise me if one or two players can become pretty decent...   I'm talking Cutler level...  Romo level,  Dalton level.

And that wouldn't be too bad (although I'm not a Cutler fan...)    a guy you can win with....    but not a special QB.

So,  can Arians find one of those guys in the 2nd or 3rd round?    I suspect he can....

The thing now is that if a quarterback is not a Manning or a Ryan or an Andrew coming out then the media/analysts don't think he is good enough/doesn't warrant a high draft position. But maybe that's because of other positions shooting up draft boards and being more valuable...Idk. But you don't have to be a can't miss prospect in order to be the franchise QB.

I'm driving the Logan Thomas hype train. I don't care what anybody says. Choo-Choo!!

I swear he's almost a custom fit for Arians, so long as Arians isn't expecting an instant improvement. He fits the way Arians likes to call the game and he'd have Moore and Arians to mentor him.

I think he has some very serious potential in that offense. I'm a fan as well and I really hope he turns it on in the NFL.

The thing now is that if a quarterback is not a Manning or a Ryan or an Andrew coming out then the media/analysts don't think he is good enough/doesn't warrant a high draft position. But maybe that's because of other positions shooting up draft boards and being more valuable...Idk. But you don't have to be a can't miss prospect in order to be the franchise QB.

yea all a qb has to do is take care of the football and that makes them better than half the qbs in the league

When there is a special QB they are normally high picks with a lot of pub and more importantly teams try to position themselves to get one if they need one. Teams who need a QB are starting to pass on this years class of QBs by the sounds of it. That tells me Arains is right..