Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dwayne Allen gets full medical clearance.

Dustin

Colts TE Dwayne Allen (hip surgery) said he's been cleared to participate in everything.

Allen is running around at this week's offseason workouts, catching some passes with no restrictions. It confirms Allen's proclamations from a month ago that his hip is back to "110 percent." Allen has the skill set to be an all-around beast and a major asset in the passing game -- especially if tight end-friendly special assistant Rob Chudzinski gains influence over OC Pep Hamilton.

Colts TE Dwayne Allen (hip surgery) said he's been cleared to participate in everything.

Allen is running around at this week's offseason workouts, catching some passes with no restrictions. It confirms Allen's proclamations from a month ago that his hip is back to "110 percent." Allen has the skill set to be an all-around beast and a major asset in the passing game -- especially if tight end-friendly special assistant Rob Chudzinski gains influence over OC Pep Hamilton.

I'm already on record as saying Chudzinski is the most important off-season addition the Colts have made.   I think he can help Pep in a lot of ways...

But  the idea that Chudzinkski being a tight end-friendly coach,  can help influence Pep on that concept is laughable.

Pep comes from Stanford....   the college program that often played 3 tight ends at the same time and NOT just in goal line or short yardage situations.    Played them on any down in any situation anywhere on the field.     Pep loves the tight end position.   He's got an idea of what to do with it.

Anyone know exactly what happened to his hip yet?

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2014/04/20/colts-te-dwayne-allen-road-recovery/7930055/

This is a long and sprawling article about Dwayne Allen. I learned some things about him, including the fact that he had surgery on BOTH hips. Still don't know exactly what the injury was, as it's not stated in the article (and I can't find it online anywhere). The most likely assumption is a torn labrum, given how the injury is described (he says his foot stuck, and his hip gave out). 

Edit: This article says it was a torn labrum, and that he had bilateral (both sides) hip surgery. http://www.fayobserver.com/sports/article_58de00c0-f916-5cd8-ad7d-6bbba5497602.html?mode=jqm

Dwayne said he was 100% about a month ago.  Then a few weeks ago he said he was 110%

So I guess this makes him about 120% ready to go?

Edit:  I should have read the IndyStar article first: " He's at "126.7 percent," he said, and he can't wait for Monday, when the team's offseason workout program begins."

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2014/04/20/colts-te-dwayne-allen-road-recovery/7930055/

This is a long and sprawling article about Dwayne Allen. I learned some things about him, including the fact that he had surgery on BOTH hips. Still don't know exactly what the injury was, as it's not stated in the article (and I can't find it online anywhere). The most likely assumption is a torn labrum, given how the injury is described (he says his foot stuck, and his hip gave out).

Edit: This article says it was a torn labrum, and that he had bilateral (both sides) hip surgery. http://www.fayobserver.com/sports/article_58de00c0-f916-5cd8-ad7d-6bbba5497602.html?mode=jqm

Hmm, after some searching It sounds like if it was in fact a torn labrum in his hip it's a tough recovery but once healed effectively should not slow him down any. In those articles it sounds like Allen could have possibly tried to play through it but made the right choice by getting it done! He looked at the glass half full the whole time which is great to see. Wish him the best this year! With both Allen and Fleener healthy out offense is a whole different animal.

55z0B.gif

I see many Pro Bowls in his future. You kind of realize now that his loss was equal or greater to the loss of Wayne because of how reliable he is. I think the monster is : Allen, Hilton, and Nicks. And Rodgers should not be underestimated, I still think about how he snatched that ball out of the air in the Kansas City game. He clowned that DB.

He had a video recently on the IndyStar and he said he feels 127% heathy

Here is the article and video: http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2014/04/20/colts-te-dwayne-allen-road-recovery/7930055/

Top scientists are hard at work trying to figure out where he gets the extra 27% and what exactly he uses it for. Dwayne Allen is a true modern marvel.