Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Will Hill: Possible low risk, high reward signing?

Why not just explain your position. What makes him a better than mediocre safety?

QBs had the lowest passer rating in the NFL throwing at him (60.6) and he only allowed 186 yards into his coverage all season (bottom 5). He missed 1 tackle all year and only allowed 1 TD.

QBs had the lowest passer rating in the NFL throwing at him (60.6) and he only allowed 186 yards into his coverage all season (bottom 5). He missed 1 tackle all year and only allowed 1 TD.

Well, there you go.  The QB rating can pretty much be dismissed because that is a bogus stat for QBs let alone for defensive players.  The 186 yards, well I would hope he would be near the bottom, he only started 10 games, extrapolate that out over 16 games and it's 300 yards, where would that rank him?  I'm guessing about bottom 15.  The stats I've read from a Giants board said he missed 5 tackles all year.  And there is really no way to say how many TDs a defender gives up except in situations where he is one on one with an offensive player.  How many times did he mess up and was in the wrong position and a TD got blamed on someone else?

He is good against the run but just average against the pass.  His read and react is a bit slow at times especially when he has to make a decision between two offensive players in his zone.

And if he was a smart player that wasn't another bad decision from missing the year I'd say sign him.  But his play does not justify his risk.

Well, there you go.  The QB rating can pretty much be dismissed because that is a bogus stat for QBs let alone for defensive players.  

Well, that's just like, your opinion, man. Regardless of your opinion of passer rating, it still shows that QBs weren't efficient throwing at him. 

The 186 yards, well I would hope he would be near the bottom, he only started 10 games, extrapolate that out over 16 games and it's 300 yards, where would that rank him?  I'm guessing about bottom 15.  

Wrong and wrong. Hill played in 12 games total. Playing significant defensive snaps in both of the game he didn't start. His 186 yards in 12 games comes out to 15 yards per game. Extrapolated over an entire season is only 240 yards on the season, which still places him inside the top 5 for safeties.

The stats I've read from a Giants board said he missed 5 tackles all year.  

They're wrong. And even if that was the case, that'd still put him around 7 less than both Bethea and Landry. 

And there is really no way to say how many TDs a defender gives up except in situations where he is one on one with an offensive player.  How many times did he mess up and was in the wrong position and a TD got blamed on someone else?

You're right. All we can really look at is what actually occurred on the field. We have no knowledge of the playcall so all we can do is go by what happened on the field. 

Well, that's just like, your opinion, man. Regardless of your opinion of passer rating, it still shows that QBs weren't efficient throwing at him. 

Wrong and wrong. Hill played in 12 games total. Playing significant defensive snaps in both of the game he didn't start. His 186 yards in 12 games comes out to 15 yards per game. Extrapolated over an entire season is only 240 yards on the season, which still places him inside the top 5 for safeties.

They're wrong. And even if that was the case, that'd still put him around 7 less than both Bethea and Landry. 

You're right. All we can really look at is what actually occurred on the field. We have no knowledge of the playcall so all we can do is go by what happened on the field. 

If the Qb rating is not an accurate gauge of a QB's effectiveness then it cannot be an accurate gauge of a DBs effectiveness against a QB.

Significant action?  He didn't see the field against Chicago until late in the 2nd quarter The Minnesota game I will concede, it looks like he got on the field early in the 2nd.

LOL that they are wrong on their missed tackles but you are not.  And of course he had fewer, he played in fewer games.

And yup, stats can be manipulated and things like Qb rating against and missed tackles and TDs scored against are all open to manipulation.  The things that cannot are tackles (60 solo), INTs - 2, PDs -2. Penalties, FF - 2, TFL -1, QB hurries -1.  Now I will admit those don't tell the whole story but those numbers are those of an mediocre safety who seems to have some potential, that is somewhat to be expected he's only been in the league a couple of years.

Lastly, since you seem to want to compare him to Bethea fine, Bethea just signed a 4 year multi-million dollar deal based on his production.  Hill is about to be released because his production is not worth the headache to the team.

Archived