Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Post Costa Retires Mock

I still don't see a need to draft a C in this draft.  Costa was brought in for competition, not to start.  He was only a failsafe.  I'd keep my mock the same.  If it changes at all, it changes only to the extent that if we were going to draft an interior OL in the draft, it might be a guy who can move from G to C if necessary, but that was always a real possibility anyway.

The title is misleading. Explained it in my post to NewColtsFan.

But what you're essentially saying is that we can't keep two centers on the roster if their primary position is center or if they can't play any other position? Holmes can play guard, which would make him fit your criteria of being able to play multiple positions. Then he would be able to contribute on game days as a backup (together with Lance Louis) for both Donald Thomas and Hugh Thornton and as backup for Richburg (I expect him to win the job over Holmes). In other word Holmes would be just as valuable as let's say Nixon and Reitz, who can also only play two positions (G and T). Having a combination of a C/G and G/T is more logical than having two G/T players dressed on game days. Furthermore, there are bound to be injuries (maybe evenseason ending), which would make the Richburg pick seem logical.  We need quality depth, not just guys. If that takes a premium pick to create a competition which then breeds quality depth, then so be it. 

I saw the explanation. Fair enough. 

As for the rest of this post, you're trying to rationalize this idea, and it's just not working for me. Unless you see either Holmes or Richburg as a capable guard -- someone who can beat out the other backup guards on the roster and be on the 46 man game day roster -- then it's not logical to try to carry two young centers and get them playing time so they can develop.

The only real reason Holmes was on the roster as a backup center is because he was a young player, and he still hardly played. When openings came up at guard, he didn't get called in. He was essentially an emergency center, which is usually a spot given to a swing backup on game day. I just don't see it happening with Richburg, or any other center in the first three or four rounds, even if we trade back.

And it's not that I don't like Richburg (or Martin, for that matter). I just don't think it makes sense for us to draft a center early. I like Zach Mettenberger and Derek Carr as well, but drafting a QB makes no sense for us. I like a lot of the receivers and backs in the second to fifth round, but drafting a receiver doesn't make sense for us in that range. Same thing at offensive line. Now that we're apparently picking up the option on AC, it doesn't make sense to spend a high pick on any lineman, any position. Least of all, center.

I am fairly certain Donald Thomas played some center with the Patriots. If it came down to it, we could use Thomas at center.

I would not use a 2nd rounder on a center when we have Holmes.

Thomas is a big question mark at this point, because of his severe injury. Hopefully he's ready to go, in which case he can back up the center position. But I think we should have another option as well. 

I saw the explanation. Fair enough. 

As for the rest of this post, you're trying to rationalize this idea, and it's just not working for me. Unless you see either Holmes or Richburg as a capable guard -- someone who can beat out the other backup guards on the roster and be on the 46 man game day roster -- then it's not logical to try to carry two young centers and get them playing time so they can develop.

The only real reason Holmes was on the roster as a backup center is because he was a young player, and he still hardly played. When openings came up at guard, he didn't get called in. He was essentially an emergency center, which is usually a spot given to a swing backup on game day. I just don't see it happening with Richburg, or any other center in the first three or four rounds, even if we trade back.

And it's not that I don't like Richburg (or Martin, for that matter). I just don't think it makes sense for us to draft a center early. I like Zach Mettenberger and Derek Carr as well, but drafting a QB makes no sense for us. I like a lot of the receivers and backs in the second to fifth round, but drafting a receiver doesn't make sense for us in that range. Same thing at offensive line. Now that we're apparently picking up the option on AC, it doesn't make sense to spend a high pick on any lineman, any position. Least of all, center.

Imho it's still a valid way to use a 2nd or 3rd round pick. Our line was terrible last year. We'll be better off this year, but Donald Thomas has been quite injury prone and we still don't really know what we're going to get out of Thornton or Holmes. At this point they could both turn out to be good productive players for the next 10 years or they could just be busts. Reitz is a solid guy to have on the roster, I believe he should've started last season, but he's not exactly a high ceiling prospect of the future.

I don't know what our draft board looks like, but I'd advocate for something in the middle of a BPA and need based approach. I think our biggest needs for the immediate future are on the O-line and in the secondary. If at 59 the top players left on our board who are rated fairly similarly I'd want to go for either an O-lineman or DB. But if there's a guy who (on our board) is clearly better than the others I'd want them to pick that guy regardless of position (save for QB, K/P, and maybe TE). Best case scenario to me is that the guy who is the BPA fills a need.