Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How long will it take to get Peyton and the O back on track?

Zebra3

Once this CBA business is finalized and we get back to football, how long will it take to get the offense all back on the same page? I'm hoping that Peyton has been throwing the ball some in the off season, but unlike a normal off season, he has presumably not been practicing with his receivers. How long will it take them to gel?

That is the $64K question for all the teams. I would think with all the veteran leadership on the Colts things should come together pretty quickly. It will be a crap shoot for the rookies and the undrafted free agents though. I really thin that is where you will see some big gaps from prior years.

I think the receivers will be find but the O line will take a little time to get going. I would like to see the two rookies starting on the line along with Mac. and that G we drafted last year J Thomas this will add size and strength all around along with our blocking TE and a hard runner in the rookie running back should be a great O this year

With our offense being primarily vets we will be okay, the rookies on the line however will be bottlenecked from the lack of full offensive practice. Luckily there is a preseason to help that out as well though so I think we will be fine once green flag football starts(Yes that was a NASCAR joke haha)

yes Zebra3 i think they will be an improvement over last years less than 2 seconds. i think we need to start them early because they are the future. we have the best 2 de's in the nfl so they will get a taste of what their up against should know from pratice with these 2 if they can keep PM upright

yes Zebra3 i think they will be an improvement over last years less than 2 seconds. i think we need to start them early because they are the future. we have the best 2 de's in the nfl so they will get a taste of what their up against should know from pratice with these 2 if they can keep PM upright

Definitely! That 2 seconds last year was just downright brutal.

This stupid lockout out of all the things i care about, is going to affect the O-line first. We got two very talented Big Uglys, and Castonzo is going to start, but what about Ijalana. I don't think with this shorten offseason he will get the time to get ready for the NFL at all, at least in the RT posistion. He might be "ok" at guard, but this may mean that they will play less consistent and have to keep Diem around unless we replace him with CJ. Basically, it means that it will take more time for the O-line to gel...

This stupid lockout out of all the things i care about, is going to affect the O-line first. We got two very talented Big Uglys, and Castonzo is going to start, but what about Ijalana. I don't think with this shorten offseason he will get the time to get ready for the NFL at all, at least in the RT posistion. He might be "ok" at guard, but this may mean that they will play less consistent and have to keep Diem around unless we replace him with CJ. Basically, it means that it will take more time for the O-line to gel...

Before his surgery, Peyton had quite a bit of throwing time with receivers. O-line is a question as well as Peyton's recovery from neck surgery. Manning Passing Academy starts tomorrow in Louisiana, so we should get some reports as to whether/how well he's throwing.

Before his surgery, Peyton had quite a bit of throwing time with receivers. O-line is a question as well as Peyton's recovery from neck surgery. Manning Passing Academy starts tomorrow in Louisiana, so we should get some reports as to whether/how well he's throwing.

knowing Manning (well.. from a fan's perspective) he doesn't like showing off that much or giving the media stuff to talk about, i expect him to not throw that much at all, and might as well just let Eli demonstrate while manning recovers

I don't think it will take very long for the offense to gel. I know Peyton has those guys working out together anyways and Manning is famous for having the entire playbook memorized. He will be writing everything down for all of the offensive guys and making sure they practice game situations. One thing about this lockout is that coaches can't talk to players, but Manning knows the whole playbook, so he will be able to teach the rookies.

• Like 1

As long as it takes to get our offensive line straightened out.

I recall Bill Polian at one point very feverishly stating that you can't draft starting quality offensive linemen in the second half of the first round, and seeing the way we hid Jerry Hugehs last season (or whatever we did with him) I'm quite skeptical we'll even see our first two picks.

But that's ok, we've got ryan diem. :loco:

As long as it takes to get our offensive line straightened out.

I recall Bill Polian at one point very feverishly stating that you can't draft starting quality offensive linemen in the second half of the first round, and seeing the way we hid Jerry Hugehs last season (or whatever we did with him) I'm quite skeptical we'll even see our first two picks.

But that's ok, we've got ryan diem. :loco:

I think I remember reading that before too. It makes sense with Hughes because of Mathis and Freeney being pro-bowlers. No one is going to take out 2 pro-bowlers just to give a rookie some experience, that's what preseason is for. With that said, we are much thinner on our O-line than we are at DE, so I wouldn't be surprised to see Castonzo and/or Ijalana starting from day 1.

I think I remember reading that before too. It makes sense with Hughes because of Mathis and Freeney being pro-bowlers. No one is going to take out 2 pro-bowlers just to give a rookie some experience, that's what preseason is for. With that said, we are much thinner on our O-line than we are at DE, so I wouldn't be surprised to see Castonzo and/or Ijalana starting from day 1.

I dunno. Like I just posted in the Mathis thread, we were pretty awful at DE depth last season, and the few times Hughes DID make it onto the field, he looked alright.

We need those guys starting, but until I see it, I'll remain skeptical. Hopefully the release of Ryan Diem will put an end to my skepticism.

I think the Colts will be fine. Might take a week or two to get our high powered offense to start performing like they should. The OLine just needs to stay healthy and they will be an immediate upgrade from last year. We had so many people shuffle from position to position that no one could get any sense of continuity. I'm hoping we hit our stride at the right time next year...the last half of the season leading into the playoffs :-)

Probably much, much less time than it will take teams that don't have a future HOFer under center!

I think teams like the Colts, Saints, and Patriots will benefit greatly because of their QBs. The lost time will likely have much more of a negative impact on teams with first, second, and third-year guys. Even good ones, like Bradford and Sanchez.

• 10 years later...