Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Andy's Colts Mock Draft 2.0

I like this one better than my first one. On a side note, have not been posting much lately, but will be posting more as we lead up to the NFL draft.

2nd Round – 59th Overall Pick

Terrrence Brooks – Safety – Florida State

The Colts need a safety very badly. Even Coach Pagano said that they’ll look to the draft for a safety. Brooks is a great “center-field-type” safety and can make plays in the running game. He would compliment Laron Landry very well. Brooks would start at safety from Day 1, and could be very impactful. We’ve seen the impact that good rookie safeties have on their defense (Vaccaro with the Saints and Reid with the 49ers to name a couple). Getting a safety early is a must for the Colts. 

3rd Round – 91st Overall Pick

Adrian Hubbard – Outside Linebacker – Alabama

The Colts have looked at Hubbard as a potential pass rusher, and they have even brought him in for an interview. Hubbard is a lean, athletic edge defender who could set the edge well and he could get to the quarterback. He also sets the edge extremely well, as well as the top edge defenders in the draft. He needs to continue to develop, but this kid has good potential and could be a good long-term answer. 

5th Round – 166th Overall Pick

Michael Schofield – Offensive Tackle – Michigan

Schofield proved to be a technically sound, solid right tackle for Michigan for the last couple of seasons. The Colts lack depth at offensive tackle, and could use a solid backup. Schofield can develop into a good backup that can remain on the team for years to come. 

6th Round – 203rd Overall Pick

Avery Williamson – Inside Linebacker – Kentucky

Williamson may be better suited for a 4-3 system, but has the athleticism and quickness to play the Mike linebacker spot in a 3-4. Williamson reacts quickly to things happening on the field and has the closing speed to make a play. He’s pretty good in coverage, and can stand up on the line of scrimmage and rush the quarterback (both seen frequently in the South Carolina game). Williamson is a good backup right now, but could get some starting time in the next few seasons (or if injuries arise). 

7th Round (from Baltimore Ravens) – 232nd Overall Pick

Bennie Fuller – Wide Receiver – Michigan State 

Fuller is a thick, athletic receiver who made some big plays with Michigan State this last season. When watching tape on his game vs Stanford, he showed good athleticism and reacted extremely well to balls coming his way. It was a good example of his abilities. He could be a good backup for the next couple of years (even put him on the practice squad) and could develop into a potential impact player. 

Not a fan of Hubbard. Watch him on tape and you will fall asleep

I've watched countless tapes/games of him, and I've come away impressed. He needs some development but the guy has very good potential.

Hubbard will probably be there in the 5th round.  DE's who may slip but may be able to play 3-4 LB are Marcus Smith, Demarcus Lawrence, and Trent Murphy.  I would look for Ed Stinson in the late rounds.  Other LB candidates: Jeremiah Attachou Round 2, Kyle Van Noy R2; others to watch for at Pick 166 Shayne Skov, Christian Jones, Preston Brown.  Some think Kareem Martin can play OLB. Nothing against Hubbard but I wouldn't take him in Round 3.

It is that Pick 90 that will determine whether Ryan Grigson succeeds in this draft.  It is rare for a starter to come from the bottom of Round 3, but this may be the year for it.

Hubbard will probably be there in the 5th round.  DE's who may slip but may be able to play 3-4 LB are Marcus Smith, Demarcus Lawrence, and Trent Murphy.  I would look for Ed Stinson in the late rounds.  Other LB candidates: Jeremiah Attachou Round 2, Kyle Van Noy R2; others to watch for at Pick 166 Shayne Skov, Christian Jones, Preston Brown.  Some think Kareem Martin can play OLB. Nothing against Hubbard but I wouldn't take him in Round 3.

It is that Pick 90 that will determine whether Ryan Grigson succeeds in this draft.  It is rare for a starter to come from the bottom of Round 3, but this may be the year for it.

I disagree on some of your projections. I'm hearing Van Noy may end up in the first. Skov in the 5th is pushing it, but most of all, Hubbard will definitely not be there in the 5th round. 

I don't disagree with your assessment of Hubbard's ability.  It is comments like the following from NFL.com's Nawrocki that make me think he may drop.  "WEAKNESSES: Lacks elite edge speed, burst and explosion. Does not make plays and too often disappears for stretches. Instincts are still developing -- can be lured by play-action and misdirection. Average career sack production (10 sacks). Has a quirky personality, inflated opinion of his ability and carries a sense of entitlement that could be difficult to manage and require a patient positional coach."  Of course, it only takes one team to like him and he does have ability.

Charlie Campbell of Walter Football projects Adrian Hubbard at Pick 170.  I would be very happy to pick him up at 166.  You too I'm guessing.

I would be happy with that.

However, most sites have going in the late 3rd round to somewhere in the late 4th round. 

Pagano had never said we are drafting a  S. “There are some great safeties in the draft,” Pagano said. “We have our board set, we’ll tweak it as we go through the month of April, go to pro days and gather information on the draft. We’ll see how the draft goes and how the board is once we get to our first pick. It’ll be nice to get a young one in the fold, but we’ll see how it goes.”

That is pretty much how you approach every position.It is certainly not saying we are drafting a S. I would be surprised to see Brooks  there at 59. I have seen him going as early as the end of day 1.

Delano Howell and Laron Landry are going to be our starting S's this year. I too think it would be nice to get one in the fold but I see that happening later in the draft. After Brooks their is no FS that warrants a 2/3 round selection. IF you want to look at hybrid S's maybe. I think that is why Coleman came to Indy in case one of the  S's we want is not there we have a plan B in place. Wouldn't surprise me to see him brought in anyway to push whoever we have at camp.

I would look at Ladler and Dontae Johnson of NCST in the 5th. I like Johnson a lot. Or Joyner Brooks's mate in the 2nd.

Pagano had never said we are drafting a  S. “There are some great safeties in the draft,” Pagano said. “We have our board set, we’ll tweak it as we go through the month of April, go to pro days and gather information on the draft. We’ll see how the draft goes and how the board is once we get to our first pick. It’ll be nice to get a young one in the fold, but we’ll see how it goes.”

That is pretty much how you approach every position.It is certainly not saying we are drafting a S. I would be surprised to see Brooks  there at 59. I have seen him going as early as the end of day 1.

Delano Howell and Laron Landry are going to be our starting S's this year. I too think it would be nice to get one in the fold but I see that happening later in the draft. After Brooks their is no FS that warrants a 2/3 round selection. IF you want to look at hybrid S's maybe. I think that is why Coleman came to Indy in case one of the  S's we want is not there we have a plan B in place. Wouldn't surprise me to see him brought in anyway to push whoever we have at camp.

I would look at Ladler and Dontae Johnson of NCST in the 5th. I like Johnson a lot. Or Joyner Brooks's mate in the 2nd.

Here is the problem with citing that you have seen player-X going as high as  (___) round.

The problem is that the draft has become so popular that most every website -- reputable or not -- is doing mocks.   They know they generate lots and lots and lots of clicks from draft geeks like us.

The problem is, most of the so-called Internet experts don't know what they're doing at all.   Garbage in,  garbage out.

So, while I'm sure you've seen Brooks going late in the first, and I wouldn't say it's impossible, I would say it's highly, highly unlikely.    I'm hoping the Colts can nab him at 59.     But I see him going somewhere between 33 and 55.    I don't see Brooks  reaching us.    My fear is that none of the 2nd round safeties reach us.   That's Brooks, Buchanon,  Ward, or even Joyner (no matter if you think of him as a safety or a corner)    I think it's more likely than not that they'll all be gone by the time we pick.

My fear is with only 2 safeties (HHCD and Pryor) as legit 1st rounders, the others will get snatched up in the 2nd before we can get to them.   I'm fearful the board does not stack up very well for what we'd like to do....   I worry we could get screwed before each of our picks this year....

God I hope I'm wrong about all this.....   I'd like nothing more than a legitimate quality safety to be there when we pick at 59.

I think Brooks could be close.  My best guess (which is probably worth what you paid for it) is that Brooks goes slightly before the Colts' pick (around #55 or so).  But, I think Joyner will be there.  Based on what I've heard about Grigson's preferences (game tape being more important than the underwear Olympics), I think he'd prefer Joyner anyway.  Joyner's going to go on my mock, though I'd rather have the speedier Brooks myself...

I don't disagree with your assessment of Hubbard's ability.  It is comments like the following from NFL.com's Nawrocki that make me think he may drop.  "WEAKNESSES: Lacks elite edge speed, burst and explosion. Does not make plays and too often disappears for stretches. Instincts are still developing -- can be lured by play-action and misdirection. Average career sack production (10 sacks). Has a quirky personality, inflated opinion of his ability and carries a sense of entitlement that could be difficult to manage and require a patient positional coach."  Of course, it only takes one team to like him and he does have ability.

I saw that a lot more with Carl Bradford than I did Hubbard.  In the videos I watched, Hubbard didn't make a ton of playmaker type plays but he seemed to always be around the ball and affecting the play.  He has great size for the position.  I don't know about the personality or alleged sense of entitlement but if those things are true then the Colts may opt to stay away from him.  I do like his potential though and would take him or Jackson Jeffcoat in the 3rd if we don't take an OLB in the 2nd.

I don't understand the call for an OLB in this draft.  We got a 1st rounder last year who is still developing, and there is ample talent on the team (Mathis, Werner, Walden, Cam Johnson, Hickman) for this year.  The only other thing I would want is an heir-apparent for Mathis (Adongo is a long-shot, to say the least), but that's not going to happen without a 1st rounder this year.  OLB, ILB, WR, C, and maybe RB and DE/DT are all positions, IMHO, in which we've placed our bets.  This draft will be primarily about getting some more DBs with talent, and maybe adding a versatile OL and back-up NT.  That's where the needs lie, IMO.  Now, late in the draft (6th or 7th), I could see us going in almost any direction based upon which low-level player Grigson falls in love with...

I don't understand the call for an OLB in this draft.  We got a 1st rounder last year who is still developing, and there is ample talent on the team (Mathis, Werner, Walden, Cam Johnson, Hickman) for this year.  The only other thing I would want is an heir-apparent for Mathis (Adongo is a long-shot, to say the least), but that's not going to happen without a 1st rounder this year.  OLB, ILB, WR, C, and maybe RB and DE/DT are all positions, IMHO, in which we've placed our bets.  This draft will be primarily about getting some more DBs with talent, and maybe adding a versatile OL and back-up NT.  That's where the needs lie, IMO.  Now, late in the draft (6th or 7th), I could see us going in almost any direction based upon which low-level player Grigson falls in love with...

Because after Mathis, Walden and Werner, the rest are all major question marks.  And Werner isn't exactly proven yet either though I do think he'll develop into a heck of a player.  

Walden so far has done what he was brought in to do, but if we could get a player who can set the edge, drop into coverage from time to time AND be a better pass rusher then I have no problem upgrading that position.  Also, as of now, the only player we have on the roster that has decent experience at SamLB is Werner, and the original plan was for him not to play SamLB early on.  

Mathis is getting long in the tooth.  Who knows how much longer he'll be as effective as he is now?  Especially with speed rushers, once the drop off begins they tend to drop quickly.  

I know some like Hickman but I've never been all that impressed with him and would have no problem cutting him loose if an upgrade came along.  We have no idea what Adongo may or may not turn into.  

Plus, OLB/DE (pass rushers) are a premiere position.  If we wind up with "too many" (if there is such a thing) then we can look to turn around and trade one of them a little ways down the line.

The problem I have is that any OLB we draft would immediately fall into that "question mark" category of yours.  The choice is whether we should add additional players to that position or add to positions that are definitely short of talent (Safety, CB, and OG, primarily).  Slightly upgrading a potentially set position doesn't improve the team as much as dramatically upgrading a clear position of need.  Of course, if you don't feel the same as I do about the positional needs, then I understand you not agreeing with me...

The problem I have is that any OLB we draft would immediately fall into that "question mark" category of yours.  The choice is whether we should add additional players to that position or add to positions that are definitely short of talent (Safety, CB, and OG, primarily).  Slightly upgrading a potentially set position doesn't improve the team as much as dramatically upgrading a clear position of need.  Of course, if you don't feel the same as I do about the positional needs, then I understand you not agreeing with me...

a newly drafted player would become somewhat of a question mark but I also think there are degrees of question mark.  What I mean by that is I would say an OLB taken in the 2nd or 3rd round would be much less of a question mark than anyone we have behind Werner, Walden and Mathis.  I like Cam Johnson's potential, but he was a late round draft pick.  Studebaker has already been in the league for a few years so I would consider it unlikely that he's going to make any kind of huge improvement.  

I agree we could use an upgrade at S and I would definitely try to take one in this draft, but I don't think we should reach for one at our 2nd or 3rd round picks if the better players are already off the board.  

As for OG and CB...we could use some more depth at both positions and especially if a stud OG falls to us then I have no problem with that pick in the 2nd or 3rd.  However to take an OG at our 2nd or 3rd pick I think he should be good enough that we know he'd be a starter from day one because OL don't rotate nearly as much as other positional groups.  

For CB, I find it unlikely that any draft pick, no matter where he's picked, winds up as a day one starter.  At best I think a rookie CB could wind up at #4 on the depth chart by opening day, but I find it very unlikely that any CB drafted would immediately shoot past Toler or Butler to wind up at the #2 or #3 spot.  

So imo, I think a rookie pass rusher OLB/DE would get more playing time in rotation than a rookie CB would.