Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jaguars offer Mack contract for five years [Merge]

Colts_Fan12

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

reporting hes guaranteed between 18-20 first 2 seasons and can void it after second season wow

NFL Media columnist Michael Silver reported that the Browns told Mack when initially slapping him with the transition tag that they wouldn't hold him hostage if he wanted to leave.

doesnt he want to leave why would they even tell him that and by slapping him with that tag there basically saying u aint goin to leave

I read around 9-10 million a yr with 22 guaranteed. Quote from article:

"At $9 million to $10 million a year, Mack would be the highest paid center by far, and he'd be making left tackle money. Browns seven-time Pro Bowler Joe Thomas averages $11.5 million a year, and has a base salary of $10.9 million in 2014."

That is a lot of  money to pay a C. I am glad grigs stayed out of that mess.

Question: if the browns match it does that mean he defaults into signing that contract with them? Or does he still have a choice when they match it? Basically what I'm asking is will he be forced into a contract with Cleveland if they match it.

Here's on scenario put forth by an agency not involved-

"Put together a two-year offer sheet for Mack that continues to reward him with the shockingly high salary of $10 million in 2014, and then, something like a base salary of $1 million in 2015 with a $15 million roster bonus due on the third day of the 2015 league year. That should more than do it."

"Then in 2015, just before the balloon payment, you redo the deal, turn it into a five-year extension, use that $15 million roster bonus as a new signing bonus (which prorates to $3 million a year for cap purposes), figure out base salary figures that work for all parties -- $8 million in total compensation a year is the current high for NFL centers -- and you've got yourself a long-term deal."

So if a team does this, or structures a long term deal with crazy front loading under the "Wink - Wink" understanding it would be re-done for the new team, but not the old should they match, then the Browns scream of foul will be trumpeted to Goodell and the league office. Mumbling about an under the table type poison pill, yada yada, breaking the Spirit and Intent of the no poison pill rule...

The the league will then have amended rules that an offer for transition tagged players must not be altered in future years at all, or until a certain percentage of the contract has run out. For either the offering team, or one that has matched the deal.

It'll be interesting to watch this one play out.  If I was Cleveland and was serious about keeping Mack, I would have ponied up the $11.6 million and put the non-exclusive franchise tag on him.  Then no matter what the Jags did creative contract wise, they'd lose two first round draft picks also.  As it stands, the Browns will receive no compensation.

Question: if the browns match it does that mean he defaults into signing that contract with them? Or does he still have a choice when they match it? Basically what I'm asking is will he be forced into a contract with Cleveland if they match it.

If the Browns match, Mack is forced to sign the Browns offer sheet, not the Jags.

I read around 9-10 million a yr with 22 guaranteed. Quote from article:

"At $9 million to $10 million a year, Mack would be the highest paid center by far, and he'd be making left tackle money. Browns seven-time Pro Bowler Joe Thomas averages $11.5 million a year, and has a base salary of $10.9 million in 2014."

That is a lot of  money to pay a C. I am glad grigs stayed out of that mess.

It could be even crazier in the details.  Those are being ironed out now and Mack is expected to sign it tomorrow. Then the Browns will have 5 business days to match.  Unless there is some crazy up front numbers and an under the table  "Wink - Nod" shady deal understanding, I still think Cleveland will match it.  And if it is the latter, there will be a protest from the Browns for the league to review the contract and void it.  But if so, I doubt it is voided, and extra rules will be put in place to deter restructures of transition tagged players contracts.  We'll soon see.

His agent is going straight to the agent hall of fame with that deal

It's not that much more than Ryan Kalil got. Basically a million more per year, three years later. That's pretty much inflation. The guaranteed money is reported as a little bit higher, but with Kalil's option bonus, his likely to be paid money was similar. He's also received an option bonus and a restructure bonus, so in three seasons, Kalil has made $30m. He restructured again this year, plus his salaries for the next three years, makes up the other $19m he's due. 

The best part about Mack's deal, as reported, is the opt-out after two seasons. If Cleveland does match, they can lose him after two seasons, and Mack gets his $18m. That's the real genius behind it, is that it keeps the pressure on the Browns to actually run their franchise competently. But it's still less than keeping Mack on the transition tag this season, then the franchise tag next season, by four or five million. Very favorable for Mack, but it's also easy to match for the Browns. Unless they are convinced that Mack is going to be a pain in the butt for the next two seasons, I expect them to push the button rather quickly.

Edit: To the bolded, my math was off. Somehow I saw 42 divided by 5 as 9.2. It's actually 8.4 So Mack's offer is less than $300k/year more than Kalil got. 

I assumed all along he would get a raise from Khalils contract for those exact reasons....inflationg and the salary cap going up. Aside from the opt out clause, which is annoying (thanks Jacksonville) it's a fair market deal, way, way less than people around here saying it was going to be 10 or even 12 million a season. 

It's not that much more than Ryan Kalil got. Basically a million more per year, three years later. That's pretty much inflation. The guaranteed money is reported as a little bit higher, but with Kalil's option bonus, his likely to be paid money was similar. He's also received an option bonus and a restructure bonus, so in three seasons, Kalil has made $30m. He restructured again this year, plus his salaries for the next three years, makes up the other $19m he's due. 

The best part about Mack's deal, as reported, is the opt-out after two seasons. If Cleveland does match, they can lose him after two seasons, and Mack gets his $18m. That's the real genius behind it, is that it keeps the pressure on the Browns to actually run their franchise competently. But it's still less than keeping Mack on the transition tag this season, then the franchise tag next season, by four or five million. Very favorable for Mack, but it's also easy to match for the Browns. Unless they are convinced that Mack is going to be a pain in the butt for the next two seasons, I expect them to push the button rather quickly.

Edit: To the bolded, my math was off. Somehow I saw 42 divided by 5 as 9.2. It's actually 8.4 So Mack's offer is less than $300k/year more than Kalil got. 

Indeed, there's nothing there that would scare the Browns off of matching that offer.  In fact, from my perspective, the Jags did the Browns a solid! Why?  the offer is 18 million guaranteed over 2 years and an opt out.  Judging by the 10 million transition tag, the Browns also appeared to be prepared to pony up the 12 million it would likely take to franchise tag him the following season.  That's 22 Million guaranteed over two years.  The Jags just saved the Browns four million over the same time span.  If the Browns do not match, they had no real interest in retaining him and was just driving up the cost, IMHO.

"Kevin Costner works fast" -random twitter guy

You know we just need to have Costa and Holmes get tough in a hurry.  I knew we would not get him....but always had just an ounce of hope.

Good to know Haslem was invited to the World premiere of "The Draft."  :)

I assumed all along he would get a raise from Khalils contract for those exact reasons....inflationg and the salary cap going up. Aside from the opt out clause, which is annoying (thanks Jacksonville) it's a fair market deal, way, way less than people around here saying it was going to be 10 or even 12 million a season. 

I think the idea of it being $10-12m/year was what it would have had to be in order for the Browns not to match. In this case, Mack's agent used the Jags to get what he wanted from the Browns anyways. I find it hard to imagine that the Jags really thought the Browns would decline to match this offer.

The opt-out clause keeps the pressure on the Browns, but I don't think it's that big of a deal. I think you have to view most contracts through a 2-3 year lens anyways.

If things stabilize for the Browns this shouldn't be a problem....but if Mack Pro Bowl's another 2 seasons and the Browns don't get their coaching/front office business settled once and for all....then it's easy to see Mack looking elsewhere, and he'll be untethered next time.

And you're right....Jacksonville set a fairly reasonable market price for the services of a Pro Bowl center.