Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2014 NFL Mock Draft: Matt Miller's Updated 7-Round Predictions

I would take this draft. but no interior OL is a little rough to see, maybe flip Skov to a OG prospect.

Being a Badger fan, I am incredibly mixed about Dez.  He is extremely athletic, but all the games where we were beat deep, it was his side while he playing safety.  I would however take him in the 6th due to his physical tools alone.

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see Skov fall to the 5th...and I wouldn't take him if he were there.

Really?  I don't get why people are so down on Skov. I like him a lot but maybe I need to watch more of him.  A while back, Superman (I think) posted a thread about whether we needed a rangy/cover ILB or a thumper.  I hadn't given it much thought at the time but have read up a little bit more and given it more thought and as best I can tell, almost all of the ILB's we have currently are more in the range/cover mold.  The only ones I see that could possibly become the thumper type ILB are McNary and Muamba but I'm not holding my breath that either will become that type of ILB.  I think Skov could be the thumper ILB in the middle next to Jackson/Freeman.

Right now my preference for ILB, should we draft one, is Skov > Preston Brown > Max Bullough > Yawin Smallwood.  These are the ones I've watched the most.  

Really?  I don't get why people are so down on Skov. I like him a lot but maybe I need to watch more of him.  A while back, Superman (I think) posted a thread about whether we needed a rangy/cover ILB or a thumper.  I hadn't given it much thought at the time but have read up a little bit more and given it more thought and as best I can tell, almost all of the ILB's we have currently are more in the range/cover mold.  The only ones I see that could possibly become the thumper type ILB are McNary and Muamba but I'm not holding my breath that either will become that type of ILB.  I think Skov could be the thumper ILB in the middle next to Jackson/Freeman.

Right now my preference for ILB, should we draft one, is Skov > Preston Brown > Max Bullough > Yawin Smallwood.  These are the ones I've watched the most.  

Well, I've already made my distaste for this ILB class well known.  So my analysis of these players assumes we're talking abotu a 5th round, 26th overall selection by the Colts.   My problem with Skov is the same problem I have with Bullough, average to good instincts, but a liability in coverage and sideline to sideline tackling.  We run a lot of man, so that poses significant problems on 2nd/3rd down and mid-range to go.  At least with Bullough, you don't have the serious injury history.  And while in Bullough, you've got character flaws, I'll take his character issue (which I see as more of an isolated lapse in judgment than recorded pattern of mistakes) to Skov's knees. 

To me, the only two I'd consider taking is Brown and Smallwood.  They have a lot of the same deficiencies (speed, coverage, play recognition etc. - obviously not to an identical degree) that Skov and Bullough have.  But at least with Brown and Smallwood, their game tape looks faster than what their combine times would indicate.  Would I be satisfied with picking Smallwood or Brown in the 5th?  I guess, maybe.  But there's a number of guys that, if available, I'd rather take.

Well, I've already made my distaste for this ILB class well known.  So my analysis of these players assumes we're talking abotu a 5th round, 26th overall selection by the Colts.   My problem with Skov is the same problem I have with Bullough, average to good instincts, but a liability in coverage and sideline to sideline tackling.  We run a lot of man, so that poses significant problems on 2nd/3rd down and mid-range to go.  At least with Bullough, you don't have the serious injury history.  And while in Bullough, you've got character flaws, I'll take his character issue (which I see as more of an isolated lapse in judgment than recorded pattern of mistakes) to Skov's knees. 

To me, the only two I'd consider taking is Brown and Smallwood.  They have a lot of the same deficiencies (speed, coverage, play recognition etc. - obviously not to an identical degree) that Skov and Bullough have.  But at least with Brown and Smallwood, their game tape looks faster than what their combine times would indicate.  Would I be satisfied with picking Smallwood or Brown in the 5th?  I guess, maybe.  But there's a number of guys that, if available, I'd rather take.

I didn't look at any of their stats from timed drills but I don't think Skov plays slow.  The thing is that the things you're describing them as being deficient at are the things the range/cover ILB would be more responsible for.  The thumper ILB would be the more aggressive, take on blockers, blitz from the middle etc.  Many thumper ILB's aren't great in coverage.  Skov isn't great in coverage but I don't think he's as bad as some (not you, this is the first I've read of your opinion on him) make him out to be.  I would't want him in on nickel/dime packages but I don't think it would be the end of the world either if he were stuck on the field unable to be subbed out on a passing down here and there.  

Now I will fully admit I haven't read up a whole lot on Skov's past injuries.  However, if he's checked out and deemed 100% healed then I would definitely take him.  

I will say I disagree about Skov and Bullough's instincts.  I think that their instincts are their best assets, they just don't have the same level of athleticism of a Smallwood or Brown, and for a thumper ILB I'm fine with that because they shouldn't be asked to cover as much ground if they're on the field with D. Jackson or Freeman.

I didn't look at any of their stats from timed drills but I don't think Skov plays slow.  The thing is that the things you're describing them as being deficient at are the things the range/cover ILB would be more responsible for.  The thumper ILB would be the more aggressive, take on blockers, blitz from the middle etc.  Many thumper ILB's aren't great in coverage.  Skov isn't great in coverage but I don't think he's as bad as some (not you, this is the first I've read of your opinion on him) make him out to be.  I would't want him in on nickel/dime packages but I don't think it would be the end of the world either if he were stuck on the field unable to be subbed out on a passing down here and there.  

Now I will fully admit I haven't read up a whole lot on Skov's past injuries.  However, if he's checked out and deemed 100% healed then I would definitely take him.  

I will say I disagree about Skov and Bullough's instincts.  I think that their instincts are their best assets, they just don't have the same level of athleticism of a Smallwood or Brown, and for a thumper ILB I'm fine with that because they shouldn't be asked to cover as much ground if they're on the field with D. Jackson or Freeman.

Well, I don't think they have bad instincts, I did say they had average to good instincts.  They aren't elite or anything.  As far as a smash mouth ILB, they would be fine at that.  But you never really have a guarantee that a run down will actually be a run and vice versa.  I geuss my view on it is, I'd rather have an average run stopper up the middle who gives up a 4 yard run play, but doesn't give up the swing pass to the edge like Freeman than a guy who can get a 1 yard stop up the middle who gives up 5 of on the off tackle.  I know that's an overly simplistic way to view things, but with all the guys you have up the middle, I'd rather beleive that 7 guys in between the hashes can stop a run up the middle than single man-man coverage between an unathletic LB and a RB who can beat him to the edge.  The latter is the bigger threat IMO.

Well, I don't think they have bad instincts, I did say they had average to good instincts.  They aren't elite or anything.  As far as a smash mouth ILB, they would be fine at that.  But you never really have a guarantee that a run down will actually be a run and vice versa.  I geuss my view on it is, I'd rather have an average run stopper up the middle who gives up a 4 yard run play, but doesn't give up the swing pass to the edge like Freeman than a guy who can get a 1 yard stop up the middle who gives up 5 of on the off tackle.  I know that's an overly simplistic way to view things, but with all the guys you have up the middle, I'd rather beleive that 7 guys in between the hashes can stop a run up the middle than single man-man coverage between an unathletic LB and a RB who can beat him to the edge.  The latter is the bigger threat IMO.

That's the thing, the smash mouth ILB is the one thing we don't have that I would like to see us get.  You're right that a run down isn't always going to actually be a running play and vice versa, but chances are if it turns into a passing play then the smash mouth ILB would be blitzing, not covering.  As far as that goes, I think that Skov is a very good blitzer from ILB.  And I think I said before but just in case, I also don't think that Skov's coverage ability is so bad that we would be in major trouble if he were asked to cover from time to time.  He's by no means a coverage LB and I wouldn't put him in on sub packages (nickel, dime) or anything like that obviously.  Overall though I think that Skov could thrive in our defense.

That's the thing, the smash mouth ILB is the one thing we don't have that I would like to see us get.  You're right that a run down isn't always going to actually be a running play and vice versa, but chances are if it turns into a passing play then the smash mouth ILB would be blitzing, not covering.  As far as that goes, I think that Skov is a very good blitzer from ILB.  And I think I said before but just in case, I also don't think that Skov's coverage ability is so bad that we would be in major trouble if he were asked to cover from time to time.  He's by no means a coverage LB and I wouldn't put him in on sub packages (nickel, dime) or anything like that obviously.  Overall though I think that Skov could thrive in our defense.

Alright, I think you've convinced me to the point that I'll go back and watch Skov and re-evaluate as a 5th round prospect.  Before when I was evaluating ILBs, it was before the Jackson signing (which coincidentally I was hoping for as opposed to spending a then 3rd round on Skov where he was projected at the time).  I'll get back to you on this.

Alright, I think you've convinced me to the point that I'll go back and watch Skov and re-evaluate as a 5th round prospect.  Before when I was evaluating ILBs, it was before the Jackson signing (which coincidentally I was hoping for as opposed to spending a then 3rd round on Skov where he was projected at the time).  I'll get back to you on this.

One other thing to consider...Superman has said before (I think) that he thinks Skov might be a better fit at SamLB in our defense.  He's also talked about Kyle Van Noy being a good hybrid type guy that could play ILB or OLB.  I think Skov (and Jackson Jeffcoat as well) are in that same mold.  They could play the thumper ILB or SamOLB.  Skov in particular though doesn't have the pass rush moves to play RushLB whereas Van Noy and Jeffcoat probably could.  

I couldn`t wait to get rid of Angerer and some want a Skov?

How about adding a player who is athletic enough to be a 3 down player and develope his smarts and tackling, Please! 

ok, let's go over this again.  First, our defense has 2 ILB's, not just one.  They have different responsibilities.  The one you're referring to would be the Freeman roll which may wind up going to D'Qwell Jackson.  Who knows, at this point, perhaps Jackson and Freeman are the 2 starting ILB's.  In fact, based on the current roster I think that's a given.  However, they're both similar types of ILB.  Neither are going to be the thumper.  The thumper ILB does not necessarily have to be as athletic as the other ILB because his responsibilities are not the same.  

If you don't think we have an ILB athletic enough to be a 3 down player then we would need an upgrade over Jackson/Freeman.  If you don't think Freeman is that guy then I have no problem with that.  He's been good but not really great.  However I could argue that a good part of the reason he has struggled at times is because he doesn't have the right type of ILB next to him.  If you think Jackson is going to be that guy then I would be prepared to be disappointed.

Back to Skov, I think he could be a playmaker at stopping the run and blitzing from the inside.  We do not currently have a beastly ILB like that.  Depending on how the board fell I would be tempted to take Skov in the 3rd...again, that's dependent on how the board falls.  If McGill, Jean Baptiste or another equally talented CB is still there then I definitely take them.  If a good OLB falls to our 3rd round pick then I would take that guy.  If all of those are gone then I would consider either Skov or Dion Bailey in the 3rd, or try to trade back for a couple of early 4ths and hope to be able to grab both of them.

One other thing to consider...Superman has said before (I think) that he thinks Skov might be a better fit at SamLB in our defense.  He's also talked about Kyle Van Noy being a good hybrid type guy that could play ILB or OLB.  I think Skov (and Jackson Jeffcoat as well) are in that same mold.  They could play the thumper ILB or SamOLB.  Skov in particular though doesn't have the pass rush moves to play RushLB whereas Van Noy and Jeffcoat probably could.  

Just to verify, yes, I do think that. Not a big fan of Skov period, but I'd prefer to put him at Sam rather than Mike or Will. 

Van Noy would be a very intriguing hybrid guy, if you want to have a sizable player in the middle, who can then push out to the Sam spot on passing downs. And Van Noy is excellent in coverage.

Just to verify, yes, I do think that. Not a big fan of Skov period, but I'd prefer to put him at Sam rather than Mike or Will. 

Van Noy would be a very intriguing hybrid guy, if you want to have a sizable player in the middle, who can then push out to the Sam spot on passing downs. And Van Noy is excellent in coverage.

I agree about Van Noy but we have to hope he falls to us in the 2nd to have a chance at him.  Now, I also think Jackson Jeffcoat could play that role and is also a better straight up pass rusher than Skov.  If we can't get Attachou, Van Noy or Marcus Smith in the 2nd then I wouldn't mind grabbing Jeffcoat in the 3rd....especially if that meant we got Terrence Brooks in the 2nd.

Superman, just curious, have you looked much at Jeffcoat?  Would be interested in your opinion of him.

Unfortunately I don't have names for each pick but I'd like to see a draft like this unless there is a no brainer Best player available.

2- Best Corner or Safety

3- Best Safety or Corner (Whichever we don't choose first)

5- Best Interior O-Lineman

6- Best Linebacker (Inside or Outside)

7- Best Interior O-Lineman

Again unless there are no brainer BPA's available at each spot, this is how I'd like the draft to look.