Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Cassius Vaughn to Lions

So long Vaughn. I hope Sheldon Price is ready to go as far as depth! 

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/04/07/lions-sign-cassius-vaughn/

The Lions need plenty of help at cornerback, and they just got some.

Cassius Vaughn, a free agent cornerback who spent the last two years in Indianapolis, is signing with Detroit. It’s a one-year contract, according to Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press.

Last year Vaughn played in all 16 games, starting four, and had three interceptions and a forced fumble. He was a regular starter in 2012 and picked up an AFC Defensive Player of the Week award.

The Lions have struggled to find consistent, healthy starters at cornerback for years. Vaughn will join a cornerback corps that also includes Chris Houston,Darius SlayBill BentleyJonte Green and Chris Greenwood.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Popular Now

• Thread of the Week

• Topics

• But again - think about it... we are making comparisons with first ballot HoF and most of them played much different style than Stafford. Brady, Peyton, Brees, Rivers... ALL of them have a game that is heavily reliant on smarts and reading the game and skill. Those don't deteriorate with age. It's the physical ability that does, which is what Stafford is reliant on. Plus again... we are comparing with first ballot HoF... Stafford is not that. He's never been that. They can drop in level of play and still be good. Can Stafford suffer similar drop of play to what Rivers suffered over the last several years and still be anywhere close to average QB? I don't think so... 
    • Put simply....   Im just not sure the Colts have a lot of options.  Few are good, and they will all be too expensive.   Just as a trade up in the draft is no guarantee of success.   It’s all calculated risk.   I’m counting on Ballard to know far more than we do on this website.     All we can do is hope for the best.... 
    • I was talking about the 2015 DEN team. They were #1 in DVOA..:probably one of the better defenses in the past two decades.   TB was #5 in DVOA this year. I think that’s attainable for the Colts.   But this just speaks to how good a team has to be to jus to plug in a vet QB and compete for a SB. Even one as good as Brady.
    • I don't know how to describe Stafford. He's been durable for sure. He's also played through some injuries. But there is no way to predict how aging will affect his physical ability. You mention Brady and Brees and Matt Ryan but they are much different QBs, and they win in completely different ways to Stafford. Stafford is closer to big Ben and we've seen him deteriorate significantly in the last several years(some of it is injury related too). Think of other big armed QBs that relied heavily on that part of their game. Ben, Flacco... I guess Rodgers is the desireable path here, but again... Rodgers is a first ballot HoF and potentially the most talented QB in the history of the league. Stafford has never even sniffed that level of play to begin with. The worst Aaron Rodgers seasons blows Stafford's best out of the water. Notice that all the QBs you mentioned are QBs that have high level of processing the game(something that's not likely to deteriorate with time). Stafford is not at that level in this aspect, he relies heavily on his physical gifts to win. Also, all of the examples you give are of future first ballot HoFers(they have higher level of skill), while Stafford has never really played at that type of level... In other words - they have higher base level from which they can slide and still be good/playable QBs. This is not the case with Stafford.    And spinal fracture is not worrying for a QB going into his mid-30s? Like sure, I am not saying he will break down tomorrow. I think you can expect him to be good for the next year or two. I'm not sure you can expect much past that... it's really a coin flip IMO. 
    • Yeah...got my years mixed up. The defense that Manning. 
  • Members