Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mock Draft - Who to target in 2nd round

Doing a Mock draft and drafting for both the Colts and the Texans on another forum.  Can anyone give me a quick list of people that would fulfill needs that we could target in the 2nd round who has 2nd round talent.

I'm looking mostly at FS, CB, OLB, C, or G.

I will likely be on the clock on Monday or Tuesday.

Also noticing BTW that right now the Ravens are on the clock at 48 and Marcus Martin (C USC) and Jimmie Ward (S, N Illnois) are still on the board.  They are right now my top 2 candidates, but not sure either one will make it to 59.  I prefer Ward to Martin at the moment

Also if you think Martin or Ward arn't worth a 2nd round pick please let me know.  

If you are interested here is how things have played out thus far.

1. Houston Texans - Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Louisville
2. St. Louis Rams (from WSH) - Jadeveon Clowney, DE, South Carolina
3. Jacksonville Jaguars - Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M
4. Cleveland Browns - Blake Bortles, QB, Central Florida
5. Oakland Raiders - Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson
6. Atlanta Falcons - Jake Matthews, OT, Texas A&M
7. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Khalil Mack, OLB, Buffalo
8. Minnesota Vikings - Anthony Barr, OLB/DE, UCLA
9. Buffalo Bills - Greg Robinson, OT, Auburn
10. Detroit Lions - Mike Evans, WR, Texas A&M
11. Tennessee Titans - Taylor Lewan, OT, Michigan
12. New York Giants - Eric Ebron, TE, North Carolina
13. St. Louis Rams - Ha-Ha Clinton Dix, S, Alabama
14. Chicago Bears - Louis Nix, DT, Notre Dame
15. Pittsburgh Steelers - Justin Gilbert, CB, Oklahoma St.
16. Dallas Cowboys - Timmy Jernigan, DT, Florida St.
17. Baltimore Ravens - Marquise Lee, WR, USC
18. New York Jets - Brandon Cooks, WR, Oregon St.
19. Miami Dolphins - Zack Martin, OT, Notre Dame
20. Arizona Cardinals - Aaron Donald, DT, Pittsburgh
21. Green Bay Packers - Calvin Pryor, S, Louisville
22. Philadelphia Eagles - C.J. Mosley, ILB, Alabama
23. Kansas City Chiefs - Odell Beckham Jr., WR, LSU
24. Cincinnati Bengals - Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan St.
25. San Diego Chargers - Kyle Fuller, CB, Virginia Tech
26. Cleveland Browns (from IND) - Bradley Roby, CB, Ohio St. 
27. New Orleans Saints - Dee Ford, DE/OLB, Auburn
28. Carolina Panthers - Kelvin Benjamin, WR, Florida St.
29. New England Patriots - Jace Amaro, TE, Texas Tech
30. San Francisco 49ers - Jason Verrett, CB, TCU
31. Denver Broncos - Xavier Su'a-Filo, Guard, UCLA
32. Seattle Seahawks - Kony Ealy, DE, Missouri

33. Houston Texans - Carlos Hyde, RB, Ohio St.
34. Washington Redskins - Ra'Shede Hageman, DT, Minnesota
35. Cleveland Browns - Davonte Adams, WR, Fresno St.
36. Oakland Raiders - Stephen Tuitt, DT, Notre Dame
37. Atlanta Falcons - Derek Carr, QB, Fresno St.
38. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Eastern Illinois
39. Jacksonville Jaguars - Kyle Van Noy, OLB, BYU
40. Minnesota Vikings - David Yankey, OG, Stanford
41. Buffalo Bills - Austin Seferian-Jenkins, TE, Washington
42. Tennessee Titans - Ryan Shazier, OLB, Ohio St.
43. New York Giants - Jordan Matthews, WR, Vanderbilt
44. St. Louis Rams - Jarvis Landry, WR, LSU
45. Detroit Lions - Ed Stinson, DE, Alabama
46. Pittsburgh Steelers - Allen Robinson, WR, Penn St.
47. Dallas Cowboys - Scott Crichton, DE, Oregon St. 
48. Baltimore Ravens - Morgan Moses, OT, Virginia  

Note everyone but the person making the pick thought the Falcons selecting Derek Carr at 37 was silly.  

Jimmie Ward, LaMarcus Joyner, Deone Bucannon, Terrence Brooks in that order.

In all the mocks I have done Joyner and Ward are gone in the first round or in the first ten picks of the second actually twice I have seen Tennessee take both of them Ward first then Joyner. That does leave Bucannon and Brooks their at 59 but I think Brooks is a better choice not only is he scored almost twenty prospects higher than Buccannon but he is also a FS where as Buccannon is a SS. Just my opinion but also in watching tape I was more impressed by Brooks but would take Buccannon if Brooks was not there for some reason. 

I think some of the players below would rank higher than the two guys you like, but this is your mock.  So, after your two guys I would have these guys next on your big board:

1)OLB Jeremiah Attachou 

2)  FS Terrence Brooks

3) OG/OT Brandon Thomas (may end up being an OT, but he'll be good at either)

4) C Weston Richburg

5) OLB Carl Bradford

6) OG Dakota Dozier (would be a bit of a reach here, but if trades are permitted, would be a solid pickup in the 75-80 overall range)

I like Brandon Thomas OG/OT as well as Ward, Joyner, Brooks if you want to go for a DB. I also like the aforementioned Richburg and Attaochu but I'd probably take one of the first 4 first for need. Dozier, Billy Turner, and Pierre Desir are good 3rd round guys if you trade back or if they're still there at 90.

I think some of the players below would rank higher than the two guys you like, but this is your mock.  So, after your two guys I would have these guys next on your big board:

1)OLB Jeremiah Attachou 

2)  FS Terrence Brooks

4) C Weston Richburg

5) OLB Carl Bradford

6) OG Dakota Dozier (would be a bit of a reach here, but if trades are permitted, would be a solid pickup in the 75-80 overall range)

I thought Ward was the #3 safety on the board and Martin the #1 C on the board?

As with Attachou would you say he's the BPA at this point?

Update: 

49. New York Jets - Troy Niklas, TE, Notre Dame
50. Miami Dolphins - Jimmie Ward, S, Northern Illinois
51. Chicago Bears - Kareem Martin, DE, North Carolina

Those picks happened over the weekend.  The Cardinals are on the clock at 52.  

So Ward is off the board.  Right now if it was me I'd be picking Martin if he's still on the board but I'm willing to listen to other ideas because I don't know a ton about all the college players out there.  There is only a few players I know much about.  

I thought Ward was the #3 safety on the board and Martin the #1 C on the board?

As with Attachou would you say he's the BPA at this point?

Oh, I was simply stating that some of the guys I listed, I would prefer to Ward or Martin.  For instance, I'd take Attachou over Martin and I'd take Brooks over Ward, but they are all good picks.  To me Ward is ranked higher than Brooks on many websites and some say he is the best cover safety in the draft, even as a SS.  I just personally likes Brooks a bit better (love his physicality, comparable cover skills, not as good of hands but that's coachable and at least you get the benefit of a deflected pass).  But you couldn' go wrong with either one.  As far as Martin, I like Martin better for the Colts than I do Richburg, so yeah, I'd rank him higher than Richburg.  That being said, I don't see us going for a C prospect in the draft's first few rounds and have assigned myself to the fact that we're not taking one based on a lot of what Grigson has said, which is why I'd take Attachou over Martin.

As far as BPA, I'll borrow from Superman above because that's exactly how I feel about it as well - Ward, Brooks, Attachou in any order.  They're all similarly ranked in my book, and i'ts a roll of the dice as to who actually ends up being the best prospect of the 3. 

Oh, I was simply stating that some of the guys I listed, I would prefer to Ward or Martin.  For instance, I'd take Attachou over Martin and I'd take Brooks over Ward, but they are all good picks.  To me Ward is ranked higher than Brooks on many websites and some say he is the best cover safety in the draft, even as a SS.  I just personally likes Brooks a bit better (love his physicality, comparable cover skills, not as good of hands but that's coachable and at least you get the benefit of a deflected pass).  But you couldn' go wrong with either one.  As far as Martin, I like Martin better for the Colts than I do Richburg, so yeah, I'd rank him higher than Richburg.  That being said, I don't see us going for a C prospect in the draft's first few rounds and have assigned myself to the fact that we're not taking one based on a lot of what Grigson has said, which is why I'd take Attachou over Martin.

As far as BPA, I'll borrow from Superman above because that's exactly how I feel about it as well - Ward, Brooks, Attachou in any order.  They're all similarly ranked in my book, and i'ts a roll of the dice as to who actually ends up being the best prospect of the 3. 

My view on Martin BTW is that if Holmes wins the Center job then Martin can play guard and can basically be used as a swing man anyplace on the inside of the line.  I think this is important when you consider that everyone on the inside is a question mark.  Thomas because of injury, Holmes/Costa cause they havn't played much or recently.  and Thorton because he wasn't that good last season but we would expect him to improve.

I'll have to look at Brooks, is he widely considered a 2nd round pick?

Oh also trades arn't permitted.

My view on Martin BTW is that if Holmes wins the Center job then Martin can play guard and can basically be used as a swing man anyplace on the inside of the line.  I think this is important when you consider that everyone on the inside is a question mark.  Thomas because of injury, Holmes/Costa cause they havn't played much or recently.  and Thorton because he wasn't that good last season but we would expect him to improve.

I'll have to look at Brooks, is he widely considered a 2nd round pick?

Oh also trades arn't permitted.

Brooks is a 2nd-3rd round pick absent some self-implosion that will kill his stock, so there's a decent chance he'll be available.  As for Martin, I get where you're coming from and I don't think it's a bad idea.  It's a perfectly fine idea, I just don't believe that's the direction the Colts will go.  But I mean, what they would do and what we would do are often two different things.  I mean, in Dustin/Chad's Friday mock, I took Dakota Dozier in the 3rd, so...I'm obviously not against drafting an OL early in the draft lol.  I just don't know if I'd use our 2nd round pick for it, that's all.

Brooks is a 2nd-3rd round pick absent some self-implosion that will kill his stock, so there's a decent chance he'll be available.  As for Martin, I get where you're coming from and I don't think it's a bad idea.  It's a perfectly fine idea, I just don't believe that's the direction the Colts will go.  But I mean, what they would do and what we would do are often two different things.  I mean, in Dustin/Chad's Friday mock, I took Dakota Dozier in the 3rd, so...I'm obviously not against drafting an OL early in the draft lol.  I just don't know if I'd use our 2nd round pick for it, that's all.

1)OLB Jeremiah Attachou 

2)  FS Terrence Brooks

4) C Weston Richburg

5) OLB Carl Bradford

I agree with your board.

Regarding Brandon Thomas and Weston Richburg on your board, here is an article I'd like to share:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000339199/article/weston-richburg-brandon-thomas-could-start-as-rookies

I agree with your board.

Regarding Brandon Thomas and Weston Richburg on your board, here is an article I'd like to share:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000339199/article/weston-richburg-brandon-thomas-could-start-as-rookies

I'm on and off about Bitino.  Some days I like him, some days I don't.  I think of the 4 mentioned int eh article, he'd be my last choice.

BTW the idea behind this mock is mostly "what you would do" so I'm not so much concerned if the Colts will actually make that move or not.  I actually don't think they will.  

BTW the idea behind this mock is mostly "what you would do" so I'm not so much concerned if the Colts will actually make that move or not.  I actually don't think they will.  

Yeah, in that event, go with your gut.  Like I said initially, it's your mock.  If you like Martin,  by all means, pick him.  I mean, in the end, it's all just for fun.  But as far as BPA available, you're talking about a handful of guys - Martin, Brooks, Ward, Attaochu - that are all ranked around the same area.  So if you really can't decide who you like best, you're probably doing somethign right.  Problem with that is though, no matter who you pick, you're going to love and regret it at the same time. 

1)OLB Jeremiah Attachou 

2)  FS Terrence Brooks

4) C Weston Richburg

5) OLB Carl Bradford

I can agree with the first 2 picks on your board as options one and two, and while I like the idea of adding some depth to the offensive line, I just do not see the Colts going that direction in the 2nd round.

Lastly, and to the point I wanted to make, what do you see in Carl Bradford, especially above a guy like Marcus Smith? I've watched a lot on both guys and came away pretty unimpressed with Bradford.  So I just wanted to hear your opinion on him and then maybe I can go back and see what I missed.

I just do not see the Colts going that direction in the 2nd round.

Yeah, I agree with that. See my post, #16 above. 

Lastly, and to the point I wanted to make, what do you see in Carl Bradford, especially above a guy like Marcus Smith?

He's more explosive than Smith, IMO.  He may not be as natural a pass rusher as Marcus Smith, but he is still good at it, especially as a stand up edge rusher.  To me, if Smith projects as a better pass rusher, it's not by much.  The problem with both guys is that they have physical limitations resulting in them having trouble getting off blocks. 

One area that I will take Bradford over Smith anyday is defending the run.  He seldom gets blown off the ball, solid instincts, and has a nose for the ball.  He's not great in coverage, but if he were a Sam backer (which is where I'd put him), he wouldn't be in coverage often enough for it to really matter that much - and even then, he does well enough in coverage that he would win some matchups on occasion.  We're in need of guys that help us stop the run and that's been a major focus of this team this offseason.  Bradford fits that need better than Smith IMO.

for the record, I still would rather take Van Noy if he's there.  I used to want Bradford over Attaochu, but I'm slowing starting to change my mind the more of Attaochu's film I watch.

Yeah, in that event, go with your gut.  Like I said initially, it's your mock.  If you like Martin,  by all means, pick him.  I mean, in the end, it's all just for fun.  But as far as BPA available, you're talking about a handful of guys - Martin, Brooks, Ward, Attaochu - that are all ranked around the same area.  So if you really can't decide who you like best, you're probably doing somethign right.  Problem with that is though, no matter who you pick, you're going to love and regret it at the same time. 

I'm looking and it sounds to me like Attaochu is mostly a pass rusher?  If we got a guy like that where would we fit him in playing time wise with Mathis and Werner there as pass rushing OLB's?

Or can he set the edge in the Walden role?

I'm looking and it sounds to me like Attaochu is mostly a pass rusher?  If we got a guy like that where would we fit him in playing time wise with Mathis and Werner there as pass rushing OLB's?

Or can he set the edge in the Walden role?

When I first watched film on him, I didn't think he would be that good at setting the edge, but he has the frame to develop to put on more weight, so he could be able to set the edge well.  It really just depends on how well he progresses, but I think that his deficiencies are coachhable (right now, can't set the edge, doesn't show much discipline in the run game, could stand ti improve his recognition).  As far as physical attributes, he's got a good blend size, speed, and power that, as a package, is better than a lot of the other 2nd round tweeners a la Carl Bradford and Marcus Smith. 

If OLB Jeremiah Attachou is there I would grab him.... Christian Jones is another I/OLB I would look at ( His athletism is great )  I would alos look at FS Brooks or top CB because we don't know how long/ if Toler can play.

1. Jeremiah Attachou   OLB

2. Christian Jones        I/OLB

3. Brooks                      FS

4. SJB                           CB

5. Marcus Smith            OLB/de

I hadn't compared the two profiles. Not that it necessarily means anything, but Holmes was considered a better prospect a year ago. If he's healthy, he can be the guy. 

I hadn't compared the two profiles. Not that it necessarily means anything, but Holmes was considered a better prospect a year ago. If he's healthy, he can be the guy. 

thats what I saw Super... time will tell, but maybe our GM see's more in people than we do.. he also see's in the future.. ie building .. Holmes... Hughes...   I am way OK if Holmes or costa fixes the center position... I will throw this one out .. If we draft Bitonio with our forst pick... AC won't be re-signed ... even though most analysis say he will move to a Guard...   look at the great pick up of Nixon.. building... not sire if they are sold on AC and he is the old regime

FYI Martin was taken in the pick right before mine so I ended up selecting Jeremiah Attachu.

Thanks for the help, I'm not sure who I would have taken without your imput but I was considering looking into Joyner.  Although I suspect he would have been a reach.

I say since Brandon Thomas has just torn his ACL, if he is still there in the 5th, we pick him. Give him a year to rehab. and he would be a steal. He would have been 2nd to 3rd round, so I can see him falling to the 5th. In the 6th, take Colvin from OU. Same situation, but the later rounds are crap shoots, and to get to very good players who would have gone much higher, I would love.