Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

is this wayne's last year as a colt

CR91

Maybe not so much worried about him getting fired as much as getting promoted.  Correct me if i'm wrong but wasn't he considered a possible candidate for a college HC position earlier this offseason.

Okay, I get your point. If Pep leaves, that would be an enormous setback no question beavis, but I am hanging my hat on the fact that Pep wants to see him blossom into both a great college & NFL player & that Mr. Hamilton played a crucial role in Andrew Luck's premier QB development in this league quite a feather in pep's resume cap. That's why I don't see him departing INDY. 

Besides, Pep & Andrew feed off each other & probably finish either other's game day sentences. When you have great chemistry with your QB, you stay put. Why leave the golden goose known as Luck? 

That is just an internet pic SW....Pops is tough as nails though.....he could really hit.  He taught me how to wrap up on a tackle.   :)

I gotta meet your Pops someday Brent. He sounds like a next door neighbor I had growing up rough around the edges whose bark was worse than his bite. But, if you respected him, he'd do anything for ya. And if I meet somebody & they act like a grouch, I chalk it up to just somebody not feeling well or having a bad day. No worries. When I feel lousy, I'm not very pleasant either actually. 

In any case, I have no doubt that your Pops was 1 tough hombre, but SW1 has known my share of gruff, gentle giants too. Send me a real picture of Pops would ya? Thanks. I wanna see what he looks like via email. If I do meet your Pops someday, I promise to be on my best behavior & not tick him off. SW1 can be well behaved once in awhile. LOL! 

Okay, I get your point. If Pep leaves, that would be an enormous setback no question beavis, but I am hanging my hat on the fact that Pep wants to see him blossom into both a great college & NFL player & that Mr. Hamilton played a crucial role in Andrew Luck's premier QB development in this league quite a feather in pep's resume cap. That's why I don't see him departing INDY. 

Besides, Pep & Andrew feed off each other & probably finish either other's game day sentences. When you have great chemistry with your QB, you stay put. Why leave the golden goose known as Luck? 

To be a head coach in the NFL.  I think we all know he would be gone in a heartbeat, and if this offense ends up being as electric as they can be than its a distinct possibility.

I think Reggie has maybe another two seasons after this one.  He was putting up big numbers before he got injured.  There hasn't been a slow down in his production by any means.  

I think he is working his tail off to get game-ready.  I think he wants to prove everyone wrong.

Great response Buck except for the last line. Oh, I'm not disagreeing with your coaching idea at all. Reggie would be a fantastic WR teacher, but most HOF athletes don't want to put in the long hours of watching tape once their careers as a star are over. They want to enjoy life, travel, eat out, & go to movies as a private citizen. JMO.

That may be, but there are also those HOFers like Elway & Ditka that can't seem to walk away from the

game...

Feb-Jun is a pretty long off season

To be a head coach in the NFL.  I think we all know he would be gone in a heartbeat, and if this offense ends up being as electric as they can be than its a distinct possibility.

I won't disagree with that beavis because head coaching opportunities are rare to come by, but I'd like see Pep get 2 rings in INDY before he makes that decision. It depends on if Pep wants the head coaching reigns or not. Some coordinators on winning clubs don't want to leave the comfort of an annual Playoff contender. Some guys like being a small fish in the pound as opposed to a killer whale in the vast ocean. 

I certainly wouldn't treat Pep's departure from LOS as inevitable or a foregone conclusion just a remote possibility. Nothing is written in stone here. 

Kevin Gilbride would still be the OC in NY if Tom Coughlin had not fired him. My point is some coordinators just like where they work & will never leave without being booted out of the NFL completely. 

I don't know if I'd agree with that assessment dgb because with the exception of Hilton & Fleener once Wayne went down our offense was never a well oiled machine anymore. Reggie going down increased his value to our franchise IMO. It didn't deplete or diminish it. Wayne's stock or value proliferated in terms of what his presence & production meant on 3rd down. 

The fact that DHB was not reliable in catching passes also validates how much Luck needed Wayne in crucial TD drives down the post season stretch. JMO. Not only that, Nicks only signed a 1 year deal with us. If he has a monster reception year, he will leave INDY & go for a king's ransom salary somewhere else next year. I don't see Nicks resigning with INDY after this season personally.

Lastly, this is really the 1st time Reggie been hurt & missed any significant field time. I'm not treating him like an old dead race horse whose best years are behind him because knees can heal up great. I'm living proof of that myself. Reggie could feel fresh, young, & healthy again. He's not done. Not by a longshot. 

I agree the injury highlighted his importance but we've seen players that have been just as important to us like Dwight Freeney and others be let go...Peyton Manning and Marshall Faulk two ICONS and players that had a huge influence on our success were cut or traded etc...eventually we have to make way for other guys. I don't mind Reggie staying around but I think considering what we have to sign back his contract will be at the tail end of a lot of people that we will be doing...including Robert Mathis who is just as valuable to us. I will also say the further we got away and had time to adjust without Reggie we did do better....of course not as good as we could have been but certainly if we can have a replacement like Nicks or someone else it will make the loss of him to retirement or to another team worth it. That all said I see him having a much more limited role in our offense this year...and a drop off in production similar to kind of what we saw Pittsburg do in phasing out Hines Ward...its inevitable...even the great Jerry Rice eventually couldn't make a team...sorry I just see it differently..although I hope you are right.

wayne is in the last year of his contract. by next year's end I believe he'll be 36. will the colts resign him or is this the last year we'll hear the chant "reggie reggie reggie"

I personally think Reggie is a shoe-in to the HOF if he has 2 more 75+ reception seasons.  If he has one this year and seems healthy, I think he'll stick around for 1-2 more years.

If he retired today, he will get on some voting lists to the HOF but I doubt he'd make it in.  I know Reggie is a team-first player but I'd find it hard to believe if he has a big season this year and still feels good that he will hang them up at the end of season.

I think we've said this before... Oya.

There were those two mediocre QBs who didn't.

Signing one of those qbs would have potentially crippled the team for his remaining tenure, and no one knew if he was 100% healthy. Moving on from him was something that you hate to see, but was a smart move on both parts. Reggie's contract is not in that range...and the odds of him being able to walk away a Colt is good. The other guy I'm not so sure what the he and the team parted ways. I'm sure there will be someone who can fill in the missing info there.

Reggie goes at least two more agree think he will be fresh with time off as long as Nicks stays healthy and balls he can ease back in. It's amazing how far the medical rebuild on a knee has come.

87 will never play for another team and no one will ever wear that number there is only one 87. For me he is what the Colts are about when I think of the Colts 87 is the first person I think of

Reggie has stated he wants comeback player of the year, I give him the benefit of the doubt because he's earned it. He'll come back strong anyway, speed hasn't exactly been his bread and butter. He hasn't lost his route running ability.

He's torn his acl before so I think he has an edge compared to someone dealing with a first time injury. Reggie will be back for I'd guess minimum 2 years, max 3.

Signing one of those qbs would have potentially crippled the team for his remaining tenure, and no one knew if he was 100% healthy. Moving on from him was something that you hate to see, but was a smart move on both parts. Reggie's contract is not in that range...and the odds of him being able to walk away a Colt is good. The other guy I'm not so sure what the he and the team parted ways. I'm sure there will be someone who can fill in the missing info there.

Johnny U

Reggie has stated he wants comeback player of the year, I give him the benefit of the doubt because he's earned it. He'll come back strong anyway, speed hasn't exactly been his bread and butter. He hasn't lost his route running ability.

He's torn his acl before so I think he has an edge compared to someone dealing with a first time injury. Reggie will be back for I'd guess minimum 2 years, max 3.

I agree Reggie W. will play 2more years he is not going to hung it up after this season and possibly  3more years its possible

With all of the resignings the colts need to make over the next couple years, I highly doubt it. Unless Wayne is willing to accept a vet minimum or something around that just for the sake of preserving his career as a colt

I know who, but was trying to say I didn't know exactly why he and the Colts parted ways. Trying to post via the telephone makes for a few mistakes.

Irsay traded him away just because. No real reason.

My point was even the biggest two who were locked in for their career as one team didn't even get what they wanted. Nothing is guaranteed.

I just don't want a Steve Smith situation with Reggie. Reggie has bled blue and has done so much for this team. If he wants to play another few years fine. He took less to stay here when other players sprinted for greener pastures. Reggie loves Indy, and loves the horseshoe. I would hate to see him play his last snap anywhere, but here

I gotta meet your Pops someday Brent. He sounds like a next door neighbor I had growing up rough around the edges whose bark was worse than his bite. But, if you respected him, he'd do anything for ya. And if I meet somebody & they act like a grouch, I chalk it up to just somebody not feeling well or having a bad day. No worries. When I feel lousy, I'm not very pleasant either actually. 

In any case, I have no doubt that your Pops was 1 tough hombre, but SW1 has known my share of gruff, gentle giants too. Send me a real picture of Pops would ya? Thanks. I wanna see what he looks like via email. If I do meet your Pops someday, I promise to be on my best behavior & not tick him off. SW1 can be well behaved once in awhile. LOL! 

SW1 and behave should NEVER be used in the same sentence!!  :)

that would make your tackling already better in form than most NFL players lol.

One of the most frustrating things watching the NFL is the inability to tackle properly, I know much is made of not getting enough contact practice but it's a technique not repetition thing for the most part. I would normally say take my opinion with a pinch of salt having never had the opportunity to play the game (much to to the detriment of the NFL :P) but tackling is pretty much the same skill as Rugby which I do know. You hit low, you wrap the man's legs up, don't matter how big he is, he can't go far with you you hanging on. Now this changed somewhat in Rugby in that players adjusted and learnt how to pass while being tackled low which has made it more the tactic to wrap your man's arms up in instead but still you wrap up and pull him down. 

Don't get me wrong, I love the big hits and if I'm honest I don't agree with the league trying to minimise them but you get fed up with players constantly trying to lower the boom and bouncing off their man who goes on to make a big play. 

Ahh I miss contact sport....if only they had Beginners Over 30's American Football league round here :P  

One of the most frustrating things watching the NFL is the inability to tackle properly, I know much is made of not getting enough contact practice but it's a technique not repetition thing for the most part. I would normally say take my opinion with a pinch of salt having never had the opportunity to play the game (much to to the detriment of the NFL :P) but tackling is pretty much the same skill as Rugby which I do know. You hit low, you wrap the man's legs up, don't matter how big he is, he can't go far with you you hanging on. Now this changed somewhat in Rugby in that players adjusted and learnt how to pass while being tackled low which has made it more the tactic to wrap your man's arms up in instead but still you wrap up and pull him down. 

Don't get me wrong, I love the big hits and if I'm honest I don't agree with the league trying to minimise them but you get fed up with players constantly trying to lower the boom and bouncing off their man who goes on to make a big play. 

Ahh I miss contact sport....if only they had Beginners Over 30's American Football league round here :P

Agree.  There are times where, say, a run up the middle, where you have to lower the boom to stop the momentum.  But in situations like that, there are (or should) be other guys around to take advantage of the stopped momentum and make the tackle.  In those situations, trying to stand your ground with a 230lb RB going full speed is difficult and you're going to get run over.  But open field tackling and just laying your shoulder into the guy, hate those kind of missed tackles.  And we had quite a few of them that resulted in TDs.  I wanna say Dwayne Bowe did that to us, ran over like 4 guys who missed tackles for a long TD.