Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

is this wayne's last year as a colt

CR91

I'd assume it depends on how he returns to form & how he performs this season accordingly. If he has another season or two in him(which I think/hope is a strong possibility)  after this year I can see him taking a hometown discount to finish his career a Colt on a one/two year deal on a reasonable contract.

Even in Reggie retires after this season or whenever he does hang up the cleats, you will hear a few Reggie chants in Lucas, like when he is inducted into the Ring of Honor, and when he inevitably returns to Lucas to be honored as a HOF inductee!!!

Here's to hoping Reggie is brought in as a WR coach when his playing days are over...

wayne is in the last year of his contract. by next year's end I believe he'll be 36. will the colts resign him or is this the last year we'll hear the chant "reggie reggie reggie"

I think this will be his last year and then he will retire. i think that Injury may have put things into perspective that its time to hang the cleats up. I hope the Front Office offers him the oppourtunity to coach in one way shape or form. He would be an excellent receivers coach. 

I think this will be his last year and then he will retire. i think that Injury may have put things into perspective that its time to hang the cleats up. I hope the Front Office offers him the oppourtunity to coach in one way shape or form. He would be an excellent receivers coach.

This "injury may have put things into perspective that it's time to hang the cleats up", yet he's coming back for this season? That don't make no sense.

Reggie will either retire or re-sign with the Colts. My bet is a year or two more after this season.

This "injury may have put things into perspective that it's time to hang the cleats up", yet he's coming back for this season? That don't make no sense.

Reggie will either retire or re-sign with the Colts. My bet is a year or two more after this season.

I meant after he finishes out his contract. Im not expecting him to annouce retirement without playing out his final contract year..

I meant after he finishes out his contract. Im not expecting him to annouce retirement without playing out his final contract year..

I know. That's what I'm saying doesn't make sense. The injury put it into perspective that he should retire, yet he is returning for another year?

I know. That's what I'm saying doesn't make sense. The injury put it into perspective that he should retire, yet he is returning for another year?

Yes, idk how that doesnt make sense. He would be returning to finish out his contract and retire. It has happened to plenty of players in the league towards the end of their career. 

I think one more year after this even if the knee doesn't do so well this year! He is going to strive to be the same player he was or better.

Whenever he does decide to retire it won't be the last time we as colts fans cheer "Reggie Reggie Reggie" he will be back with the Colts as some sort of coaching role after some time off.

Yes, idk how that doesnt make sense. He would be returning to finish out his contract and retire. It has happened to plenty of players in the league towards the end of their career.

"This injury has convinced me it's time to retire, but first I'll work my butt off to come back for one more year."

It doesn't make sense. If he comes back, feels good, and still plays at a strong level he'll continue playing.

He may very well retire after this season but I can guarentee you that Reggie isn't working his butt off with just one more year in his mind.

Let the man play for however long he wants. He's earned that. 

Assuming his knee heals up nicely, I can't see him ducking out for a few more years, especially if we remain SB contenders....

Absolutely right Lollygager & BHC! Just like Ray Lewis, Tony Gonzales, & Peyton Manning, Reggie Wayne has earned the right to walk away on his own terms. Nothing but love for Reggie man. When #87 leaves this great game, it will truly be a sad, somber, & melancholy day for me. Reggie just like Manning is an INDY institution. When he speaks, we all drop what we are doing & listen...

Pep will have a lot to do with it also.  If they have to get a new OC next year he probably wont want to learn another new offense.

This is the best reason I have seen for possibly walking away early beavis. Good point. But, I think Pep Hamilton is doing a nice job of calling plays so I don't see Reggie have to learn a new scheme anytime soon. 

I just wanna see Reggie & Andrew hold up this:  :lombardi: & hug 1 another as the SB confetti drops this upcoming season or the next. That would be so awesome! 

coltsrule91 is not going to approve of grandpop's number.

HA HA.....Pops would have to wear 92 for his age...too small for a defensive lineman....93 in December....too bif for an edge setting LB :)  Pops, can you wear number 1....Nope, he might get a Boomstick where the sun does not shine. :spit:   

Let them play as long as they want?  Pops is ready for the Assisted Living team!!!  1 year 1 million.

oldman2.jpg

I like how your Pops is holding the ball tight to his body not loose & carefree. Did Brent the old LB teach him that? I'm not surprised.  haha  Nice picture BTW! Dad looks good & as tough as ever!  :thmup:

I'd assume it depends on how he returns to form & how he performs this season accordingly. If he has another season or two in him(which I think/hope is a strong possibility)  after this year I can see him taking a hometown discount to finish his career a Colt on a one/two year deal on a reasonable contract.

Even in Reggie retires after this season or whenever he does hang up the cleats, you will hear a few Reggie chants in Lucas, like when he is inducted into the Ring of Honor, and when he inevitably returns to Lucas to be honored as a HOF inductee!!!

Here's to hoping Reggie is brought in as a WR coach when his playing days are over...

Great response Buck except for the last line. Oh, I'm not disagreeing with your coaching idea at all. Reggie would be a fantastic WR teacher, but most HOF athletes don't want to put in the long hours of watching tape once their careers as a star are over. They want to enjoy life, travel, eat out, & go to movies as a private citizen. JMO. 

This is the best reason I have seen for possibly walking away early beavis. Good point. But, I think Pep Hamilton is doing a nice job of calling plays so I don't see Reggie have to learn a new scheme anytime soon. 

I just wanna see Reggie & Andrew hold up this:  :lombardi: & hug 1 another as the SB confetti drops this upcoming season or the next. That would be so awesome! 

Maybe not so much worried about him getting fired as much as getting promoted.  Correct me if i'm wrong but wasn't he considered a possible candidate for a college HC position earlier this offseason.

I like how your Pops is holding the ball tight to his body not loose & carefree. Did Brent the old LB teach him that? I'm not surprised.  haha  Nice picture BTW! Dad looks good & as tough as ever!  :thmup:

That is just an internet pic SW....Pops is tough as nails though.....he could really hit.  He taught me how to wrap up on a tackle.  :)

wayne is in the last year of his contract. by next year's end I believe he'll be 36. will the colts resign him or is this the last year we'll hear the chant "reggie reggie reggie"

I expect this to be his last year but if he comes back strong and has a good one, I wouldn't mind seeing them sign him to a one year contract at a greatly reduced salary.

I don't see many situations where Reggie would stay...he has made too much to take a veteren minimum salary and given injuries and age and current player contracts coming up...he won't be a priority at the end of the season.

My question would be what if Reggie plays ok and wants to come back but Nicks plays well and we can only afford to bring back one...I think you have to let Reggie walk...he certainly isn't any more valuable to the Colts than any others we've cut over the years.

I don't see many situations where Reggie would stay...he has made too much to take a veteren minimum salary and given injuries and age and current player contracts coming up...he won't be a priority at the end of the season.

My question would be what if Reggie plays ok and wants to come back but Nicks plays well and we can only afford to bring back one...I think you have to let Reggie walk...he certainly isn't any more valuable to the Colts than any others we've cut over the years.

I don't know if I'd agree with that assessment dgb because with the exception of Hilton & Fleener once Wayne went down our offense was never a well oiled machine anymore. Reggie going down increased his value to our franchise IMO. It didn't deplete or diminish it. Wayne's stock or value proliferated in terms of what his presence & production meant on 3rd down. 

The fact that DHB was not reliable in catching passes also validates how much Luck needed Wayne in crucial TD drives down the post season stretch. JMO. Not only that, Nicks only signed a 1 year deal with us. If he has a monster reception year, he will leave INDY & go for a king's ransom salary somewhere else next year. I don't see Nicks resigning with INDY after this season personally.

Lastly, this is really the 1st time Reggie been hurt & missed any significant field time. I'm not treating him like an old dead race horse whose best years are behind him because knees can heal up great. I'm living proof of that myself. Reggie could feel fresh, young, & healthy again. He's not done. Not by a longshot.