Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

All Time Baltimore/Indy Colts Team

lennymoore24

So I would love to see what you guys and gals would put down for the all time Colts team.  And I mean Colts, no matter what city they called home.  here is mine:

QB: John Unitas - Doesn't have Peytons records, but probably did more for his team and titles given the time he played in.  Toughest position to pick on this team

RB: Edgerran James -  Hard to argue with the yards he put up.

FB: Alan Ameche - Didn't play that long in the NFL but what a fullback

WR: Raymond Berry - Made himself a great receive despite physical limitations

WR: Marvin Harrison - Probably the greatest Colt receiver of all time

TE: John Mackey - What a freight train coming at you with speed!

T: Bob Vogel - Great offensive tackle.  Doesn't get the respect.

T: Jim Parker - As dominant as a tackle as you will see

G: Chris Hinton - He could play tackle or guard, so I'll start him at guard

G: 

C: Ray Donaldson - Considered one of the best centers in the NFL for a long time.  Very strong and quick footed

DE: Dwight Freeney - Relentless on every play

DE: Gino Marchetti - Considered by many the best DE of his era.  Deacons Jones looked up to him

DT: Tony Siragusa - You simply couldn't move the man.  Great run stuffer.

DT: BillY Ray Smith - Very good lineman who could play end or tackle

LB: Ted Hendricks - Didn't play too long with Baltimore but was very good his entire career.

MLB: Mike Curtis - Easy pick.  Very, very good MLB.

LB:  Duane Bickett - Forgetton Colt who could play run and rush the QB very well.

CB: Ray Buchanon - Size, speed, and playmaking ability

CB: Bobby Boyd - Long time Colts standout

S: Antoine Bethea - Sanders was flashier, but Bethea was better for a longer time.

S: Jerry Logan - 10 year starter who stood out

P: Rohn Stark - One of the NFLs best during his career.  Great athlete

K: Mike Vanderjagt - Gets flack but one of the best kickers in NFL history.

KR - Joe Washington - Could do it all.

Coach: Don Shula - Never lead Colts to a title but had them good every year.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I would love to see what you guys and gals would put down for the all time Colts team.  And I mean Colts, no matter what city they called home.  here is mine:

QB: John Unitas - Doesn't have Peytons records, but probably did more for his team and titles given the time he played in.  Toughest position to pick on this team
G: 
C: Ray Donaldson - Considered one of the best centers in the NFL for a long time.  Very strong and quick footed

DE: Gino Marchetti - Considered by many the best DE of his era.  Deacons Jones looked up to him
LB: Ted Hendricks - Didn't play too long with Baltimore but was very good his entire career.
LB:  Duane Bickett - Forgetton Colt who could play run and rush the QB very well.
S: Antoine Bethea - Sanders was flashier, but Bethea was better for a longer time.

Dude, this is amazing. Another accurate lover of the Colts through the years. And pretty amazing that I agree with all your offense except for very minor changes:

I would put Lenny Moore in for Ameche or Edge at RB (Lenny wasn't a FB, and I didn't see Ameche play); if have to keep a true FB, it would be Ameche

I would move Parker to G so I could put George Kunz in at Tackle.

There never has been a better O lineman in the NFL than Parker-way ahead of his time with quickness as well as strength--maybe some as good but none better.

So true about Bob Vogel being underrated; look back at '60s games and see how much time they had to throw

Defensively:

I would put Art Donovan in for Billy Ray Smith at DT, and Stan White in for Bickett at OLB

Good pick with Bobby Boyd--another underrated CB that deserves HOF attention-a shutdown corner before the term was used--HOF Don Maynard had 0 catches vs. Boyd in SB III--that's 0 catches for a fast HOF WR in the biggest game of his team's career because Bobby Boyd was covering him.(and held Paul Warfield to 2 catches for 30 yds in the NFL C'ship game the same year) Maynard and Warfield would be All-Pros in any era. And that was Bobby Boyd's last year of playing--not his prime!

Tough choice between RIck Volk, Bob Sanders or Antoine Bethea at S, but I would go with your pick of Jerry Logan at the other safety spot for sure.

I'd go with Weeb Ewbank as Coach--with 2 Championships, but Shula was awesome with the Colts as well.

Great job LennyMoore24

Dude, this is amazing. Another accurate lover of the Colts through the years. And pretty amazing that I agree with all your offense except for very minor changes:

I would put Lenny Moore in for Ameche or Edge at RB (Lenny wasn't a FB, and I didn't see Ameche play); if have to keep a true FB, it would be Ameche

I would move Parker to G so I could put George Kunz in at Tackle.

There never has been a better O lineman in the NFL than Parker-way ahead of his time with quickness as well as strength--maybe some as good but none better.

So true about Bob Vogel being underrated; look back at '60s games and see how much time they had to throw

Defensively:

I would put Art Donovan in for Billy Ray Smith at DT, and Stan White in for Bickett at OLB

Good pick with Bobby Boyd--another underrated CB that deserves HOF attention-a shutdown corner before the term was used--HOF Don Maynard had 0 catches vs. Boyd in SB III--that's 0 catches for a fast HOF WR in the biggest game of his team's career because Bobby Boyd was covering him.(and held Paul Warfield to 2 catches for 30 yds in the NFL C'ship game the same year) Maynard and Warfield would be All-Pros in any era. And that was Bobby Boyd's last year of playing--not his prime!

Tough choice between RIck Volk, Bob Sanders or Antoine Bethea at S, but I would go with your pick of Jerry Logan at the other safety spot for sure.

I'd go with Weeb Ewbank as Coach--with 2 Championships, but Shula was awesome with the Colts as well.

Great job LennyMoore24

Average athletes of today would dominate the athletes of yesteryear. Bigger, stronger, faster

I would put Bob Sanders over Bethea if your talking All-Time, When Healthy Bob "The Hitman" Sanders was a Difference maker. OC's Had to game plan against him, he was that much of a disruptive force on Defense. Bethea lacks the playmaking ability Sanders had. Bethea was just Solid and much more Durable.

Average athletes of today would dominate the athletes of yesteryear. Bigger, stronger, faster

True because their entire life is 100% dedicated to their sport but do you think today's athlete could hold down a full time job and play their respective sport like they did in the 50's and 60's?

True because their entire life is 100% dedicated to their sport but do you think today's athlete could hold down a full time job and play their respective sport like they did in the 50's and 60's?

Yes, with what we know about diets and the supplements available today.

Im not saying a lot of the older players weren't good athletes, but as you said athletes today would dominate.  I don't care if its football, basketball, track, swimming... human beings tend to adapt and evolve.  The level of competition from the 60's-80's is nothing that it is today.  Also in another 30 years when I'm an old man the athletes will be even better, but most (that doesn't pay close attention) will say back in 2000, era of Peyton Manning had the best QB's ever. 

and I feel sorry for the younger colts fans that didn't get to see mike Curtis play. can u comprehend the fines that this guy

would have to pay if he played in this time

No one meaner or tougher. Never will forget when he nailed the silly fan that ran on the field in the middle of the game and tried to run away with the ball. Mike flattened him and said "he was on my field".

Another true Mike Curtis story--during the SB V season, after a disappointing loss, the Colts had to win their last 4 games then 3 games in the playoffs to win it all. Mike stood up in the locker room and told the team that they had to win 7 straight games and that he was going to give 100% and if he would kick anyone else's *** if he saw them not giving 100%.They won the last 4 regular season games and the 3 post season games and won the Super Bowl (after Mike intercepted a pass that set up the game ending winning FG).

No one meaner or tougher. Never will forget when he nailed the silly fan that ran on the field in the middle of the game and tried to run away with the ball. Mike flattened him and said "he was on my field".

Another true Mike Curtis story--during the SB V season, after a disappointing loss, the Colts had to win their last 4 games then 3 games in the playoffs to win it all. Mike stood up in the locker room and told the team that they had to win 7 straight games and that he was going to give 100% and if he would kick anyone else's *** if he saw them not giving 100%.They won the last 4 regular season games and the 3 post season games and won the Super Bowl (after Mike intercepted a pass that set up the game ending winning FG).

And for a short time we had Ted Hendricks next to Curtis at OLB. Two very demented individuals that no team enjoyed facing.

I prefer to leave the Baltimore Colts to Baltimore. If I were to build a team out of all the Indianapolis Colts players in their prime, this is what it would look like.

QB: Peyton Manning- THE Greatest of All Time. 

RB1: Edgerrin James- Holds most of the Colts rushing records

RB2: Eric Dickerson- Holds the others- All time leading rusher. Imagine that 1-2 punch

WR1: Marvin Harrison

WR2: Reggie Wayne

WR3: T.Y. Hilton

WR4: Pierre Garcon

OL: Jeff Saturday

OL: Will Wolford

OL: Tarik Glenn
OL: Chris Hinton

OL: Gosder Cherilus

TE1: Marcus Pollard

TE2: Dallas Clark

DL: Dwight Freeney

DL: Tony Siragusa

DL: Larry Tripplett

DL: Robert Mathis

LB:Cato June

LB: Jerrell Freeman

LB: Mike Peterson

CB: Vontae Davis

CB: Ray Buchanan

S: Antoine Bethea

S: Bob Sanders

P: Patty Mac

K: Automatic Adam

Special Teamer: Sergio Brown

Kick Returner: Terrance Wilkins

I prefer to leave the Baltimore Colts to Baltimore. If I were to build a team out of all the Indianapolis Colts players in their prime, this is what it would look like.

QB: Peyton Manning- THE Greatest of All Time.

RB1: Edgerrin James- Holds most of the Colts rushing records

RB2: Eric Dickerson- Holds the others- All time leading rusher. Imagine that 1-2 punch

WR1: Marvin Harrison

WR2: Reggie Wayne

WR3: T.Y. Hilton

WR4: Pierre Garcon

OL: Jeff Saturday

OL: Will Wolford

OL: Tarik Glenn

OL: Chris Hinton

OL: Gosder Cherilus

TE1: Marcus Pollard

TE2: Dallas Clark

DL: Dwight Freeney

DL: Tony Siragusa

DL: Larry Tripplett

DL: Robert Mathis

LB:Cato June

LB: Jerrell Freeman

LB: Mike Peterson

CB: Vontae Davis

CB: Ray Buchanan

S: Antoine Bethea

S: Bob Sanders

P: Patty Mac

K: Automatic Adam

Special Teamer: Sergio Brown

Kick Returner: Terrance Wilkins

you must be very young

G: 

Bethea not even close nor is Siragusa. Volk and Liscome are just two that were way better.

Its' sometimes tough to compare players of different eras. If you have seen the players over the decades, you can compare them more easily, with more validity. It's very true that as a whole the athletes today are bigger and faster than those in the past. However, I tend to try to put them on the same plane by thinking if someone like Jim Parker at 6-3 and 278 lbs., whom certainly had as much talent as an O-lineman ever has, took supplements of today and lifted weights year round instead of having to work a real job half the year, then he would easily have been 6-3 and 300 lbs. and been able to be All-Pro today as well. Another that comes to mind is Paul Warfield, supremely talented WR, whom ran a 4.5 back in the day---with shoulder pads and helmet, would certainly run a 4.4 without them----then give Paul supplements and training of today's athletes and well, you can see he could excel in any era as well (he also ran a 9.5 100 yd dash).Many others can also compare favorably in any era, particularly if you give the availability of supplements and training of today. So yes, there were many that could perform at a high level in any era. 

Sorry, I was born in 1992 and was only old enough to remember the beginning of Peyton's career. Not much we can do about that... So in my eyes, it's:

Qb: Peyton Manning- the goat. Nuff said.

Rb: Edgerrin James

Wr1: Reggie Wayne- in my personal opinion has surpassed Marv as the best colts receiver. It's not a popular one, but oh well.

Wr2: Marvin Harrison

Te: Dallas Clark- was one of the best in the nfl for some time.

Lt: Tarik Glenn

C: Jeff Saturday

( can't think of any more Deserving OL off the top of my head)

De: Robert Mathis- the sack fumble master

De: Dwight Freeney

Dt: honestly can't think of any deserving players... Colts interior dline was always a problem

Lb: Cato June

Lb: Jerrell freeman

Lb: Gary Brackett

Cb: Vontae Davis- the best colts corner I can ever remember

Fs: Antoine Bethea

Ss: Bob Sanders

K: Adam vinatieri

P: pat mcafee ( honorable mention: hunter the punter)

I know it's incomplete and I have to learn a lot about the pre-Peyton era, but like I said I'm only 21 and was only able to understand/ follow football during Peyton's career. I am however aware of Johnny U, Raymond Berry, John Mackey, etc... But the Peyton era is all I've known. 50 years from now, hopefully I'll be telling my grand kids about the Peyton and Luck era like you old timers talk about the Johnny U era! haha

I know it's hard tomcompare players across different eras, but Manning is as unprecedented five time league MVP (I know one was in Denver). He also is likely the sole reason the Colts are still in Indy and the reason for Lucas Oil Field. I'm old enough to remember Unitas and understand his greatness, but totally reject him as the choice of all time great a Colt QB.

You know how I feel about this . Not only are you comparing different era's , but also players who played in different city's , where probably 98% of Indianapolis Colt fans never saw Baltimore Colt players in a live game. I guess this poll is for the 2 % of the Colts population that followed them from Baltimore to Indy, and probably most of them lived outside Baltimore. I'm not criticizing people that want to compare the era's, but I think it's a small demographic that does.

On top of that you have different rules where it was harder to pass. Grass at Memorial Stadium versus turf at Hoosier Dome or LOS. I would bet most Indy Colt fans don't even know about Mike Curtis. The people in Indy that pick Peyton Manning are right on, he was the top Indianapolis Colt quarterback. Johnny U will always be the top all time quarterback for the Baltimore Colts, and Baltimore, which is why he has a statue there. He's not part of the Ravens records, but he will be eternally the top quarterback forever in Baltimore football history.

Because of the franchise move, these type of polls are just an odd fit, unlike comparing other franchises. It is almost like two pieces of a puzzle that don't fit, but some people try to constantly fit in. Except for Raymond Berry recently, and some of the 70's era Colts, most of the old guys just want to be remembered as Baltimore Colts, as a seperate stand alone. They have nothing against Indy or it 's fans, but just never played there. I think the majority of younger Indy Colt fans couldn't give two hoots about the old Baltimore Colts. That is why I don't think it's prudent to compare the two eras.

First off awsome post. I agree with some on Mathis>Freeney. Freeney was a freak getting to the QB, but so is Mathis. Plus Mathis is relentless chasing people down even during plays away from him, that would be my tie breaker! No way I could put Vanderjagt over Vinateiri though, especially if we are picking players that played elsewhere too. How about Raul Allegre or Dean Biacuccia (spelling?)! On another note, I hate it as a Colts fan that in many eyes the Colts were born in "1984". Its such an injustice to former players before that. They wore the horseshoe with the same passion as now but get no credit, kind of like lost souls.Yeah they have Baltimore, but that's now Ravens country so are left behind there also. The Steelers, Cowboys and Packers fans all get to have their full menu of years/teams, while Colts fans only scratch the surface. Thanks again for the post and making it a "complete Colts" list!    

You know how I feel about this . Not only are you comparing different era's , but also players who played in different city's , where probably 98% of Indianapolis Colt fans never saw Baltimore Colt players in a live game. I guess this poll is for the 2 % of the Colts population that followed them from Baltimore to Indy, and probably most of them lived outside Baltimore. I'm not criticizing people that want to compare the era's, but I think it's a small demographic that does.

On top of that you have different rules where it was harder to pass. Grass at Memorial Stadium versus turf at Hoosier Dome or LOS. I would bet most Indy Colt fans don't even know about Mike Curtis. The people in Indy that pick Peyton Manning are right on, he was the top Indianapolis Colt quarterback. Johnny U will always be the top all time quarterback for the Baltimore Colts, and Baltimore, which is why he has a statue there. He's not part of the Ravens records, but he will be eternally the top quarterback forever in Baltimore football history.

Because of the franchise move, these type of polls are just an odd fit, unlike comparing other franchises. It is almost like two pieces of a puzzle that don't fit, but some people try to constantly fit in. Except for Raymond Berry recently, and some of the 70's era Colts, most of the old guys just want to be remembered as Baltimore Colts, as a seperate stand alone. They have nothing against Indy or it 's fans, but just never played there. I think the majority of younger Indy Colt fans couldn't give two hoots about the old Baltimore Colts. That is why I don't think it's prudent to compare the two eras.

For someone that doesn't care, you spend an awful lot of time here.

First off awsome post. I agree with some on Mathis>Freeney. Freeney was a freak getting to the QB, but so is Mathis. Plus Mathis is relentless chasing people down even during plays away from him, that would be my tie breaker! No way I could put Vanderjagt over Vinateiri though, especially if we are picking players that played elsewhere too. How about Raul Allegre or Dean Biacuccia (spelling?)! On another note, I hate it as a Colts fan that in many eyes the Colts were born in "1984". Its such an injustice to former players before that. They wore the horseshoe with the same passion as now but get no credit, kind of like lost souls.Yeah they have Baltimore, but that's now Ravens country so are left behind there also. The Steelers, Cowboys and Packers fans all get to have their full menu of years/teams, while Colts fans only scratch the surface. Thanks again for the post and making it a "complete Colts" list!    

Well said. Been an extreme Colts fan for a long time--way before the Indy move. I never lived in Baltimore or Indy. I am a Baltimore Colts fan and an Indianapolis Colts fan. If the team moved to Kalamazoo, MI, then I would be a Kalamazoo Colts fan. I have cousins I've never seen or lived in the same city, but they are still my cousins. The "Colts" history is there for all of us "Colts" fans. It's pretty cool to embrace it all, and not separate it.

and I feel sorry for the younger colts fans that didn't get to see mike Curtis play. can u comprehend the fines that this guy

would have to pay if he played in this time

His nick-name was "Mad Dog" for a reason.  :^)

I know it's hard tomcompare players across different eras, but Manning is as unprecedented five time league MVP (I know one was in Denver). He also is likely the sole reason the Colts are still in Indy and the reason for Lucas Oil Field. I'm old enough to remember Unitas and understand his greatness, but totally reject him as the choice of all time great a Colt QB.

Not many viewers recall or even know that when the first four All-Decade teams were picked retroactively in 1969 with the celebration of the NFL’s 50th Season - John Unitas and John Mackey were the QB and TE for the "All Fifty-Year" Team.