Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Andrew Luck is old school but as NFL fans, do we need to prepare ourselves for different kind of QBs?

I think the mobility is a must in today's game. You saw it first hand in the Super Bowl. Manning could not avoid the rush at all while Wilson was moving around and creating space. The defenses are so big and so fast and so complex now that you have to be able to move. Plus offenses can be more dynamic with a QB that is a threat with his legs. I felt the Colts to some extent have not taken advantage of Luck's athleticism. They should do more plays where they get him out in space. He is a smart, heady guy and knows to go down to avoid injury.

You're right. Ends are getting leaner and more athletic and strong safeties are as fast as ever. I think Andrew's improvisation makes up for the playbook in a way but imagine him in a Kubiak offense doing nothing but bootlegs and PA...that'd be insane to defend against.
  • Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with Lenny, Kap & Wilson are nothing more than explosive game managers

What the hell is an "explosive game manager"?  Sounds to me like a term coined by someone who will do absolutely anything but admit that certain guys are actually good franchise QB's.

Wilson is a pocket passer vs CK who is a scrambler 1st to me. Wilson will have a longer career because of this fact & more rings too. Yeah, I agree with TK, put both men on either the Browns or the Vikings & I don't see either of them winning a SB. Good point!  :thmup:

But Luck will carry whatever squad he played for at least to the Championship Game easy.

Well he's had 2 shots already and hasn't seen a Championship game, so maybe not as easy as you made it seem. ;)

What the hell is an "explosive game manager"? Sounds to me like a term coined by someone who will do absolutely anything but admit that certain guys are actually good franchise QB's.

Well he's had 2 shots already and hasn't seen a Championship game, so maybe not as easy as you made it seem. ;)

Explosive Game Manager: QB's who have extremely talented teams and just have to ndo enough not to lose the game but still can make plays

Definition brought to you by TKnight24's Colts forum dictionary sponsored by apple juice products world-wide

:thmup:

I think the mobility is a must in today's game. You saw it first hand in the Super Bowl. Manning could not avoid the rush at all while Wilson was moving around and creating space. The defenses are so big and so fast and so complex now that you have to be able to move. Plus offenses can be more dynamic with a QB that is a threat with his legs. I felt the Colts to some extent have not taken advantage of Luck's athleticism. They should do more plays where they get him out in space. He is a smart, heady guy and knows to go down to avoid injury.

Wilson did most of his damage from the pocket..... after the Seahawks were up by 28 pts.

Manning had an historic year. His team lost the Super Bowl which still qualifies as a damn good season. All of the sudden he and QB's like are not a thing of the past.

Explosive Game Manager: QB's who have extremely talented teams and just have to ndo enough not to lose the game but still can make plays

Definition brought to you by TKnight24's Colts forum dictionary sponsored by apple juice products world-wide

:thmup:

So if he can make plays then why wouldn't he be a playmaker?

Manning had an historic year. His team lost the Super Bowl which still qualifies as a damn good season. All of the sudden he and QB's like are not a thing of the past.

I was just picking the Super Bowl because the contrast was so blatant between the two QBs and how their respective styles affected the game. I was not indicting Manning's season by any means.

I think QBs like Manning and Brady who have rare cerebral abilities are once in a generation. Teams are better off with guys like Luck and Wilson that are good from the pocket but can extend plays with their athleticism. I think it is a must in today's game but it is ok to disagree too.

I was just picking the Super Bowl because the contrast was so blatant between the two QBs and how their respective styles affected the game. I was not indicting Manning's season by any means.

I think QBs like Manning and Brady who have rare cerebral abilities are once in a generation. Teams are better off with guys like Luck and Wilson that are good from the pocket but can extend plays with their athleticism. I think it is a must in today's game but it is ok to disagree too.

I don't think it's a must by any means.  It's a nice luxury to have but guys like Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco, Drew Brees, Phillip Rivers, Nick Foles etc are all still successful without having the athletic ability of Luck or Wilson.

I don't think it's a must by any means.  It's a nice luxury to have but guys like Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco, Drew Brees, Phillip Rivers, Nick Foles etc are all still successful without having the athletic ability of Luck or Wilson.

I would rather have Luck or Wilson over all the guys you listed.

I would rather have Luck or Wilson over all the guys you listed.

I didn't ask who you would rather have.  I was simply pointing out that each of those guys, who are not as athletically gifted as Luck/Wilson, are still successful.  

If we're going into personal preferences though, I would take Foles over Wilson without a second thought.

I didn't ask who you would rather have.  I was simply pointing out that each of those guys, who are not as athletically gifted as Luck/Wilson, are still successful.  

If we're going into personal preferences though, I would take Foles over Wilson without a second thought.

I was talking about the future of the game. I think guys that are more athletically inclined will fair better going forward. There is a reason why the colleges have been grooming more athletic players at the QB position. I am not saying pocket guys who are immobile can't have success but I would rather have the guy with the wheels.

I was talking about the future of the game. I think guys that are more athletically inclined will fair better going forward. There is a reason why the colleges have been grooming more athletic players at the QB position. I am not saying pocket guys who are immobile can't have success but I would rather have the guy with the wheels.

That's not nearly the same thing as saying:

I think it is a must in today's game

I do think it is a must as I want to win and feel that the guys with wheels will fair better but it is just my opinion and realize that others believe differently.

Well again, that's not quite the same thing as saying that it's a "must in today's game".  That implies that non-mobile QB's cannot be successful and that's simply not true.  

They use athletic quarterbacks in college because, quite frankly, it's easier and you replace them every few years.

What do you mean by easier?

There aren't enough traditional pocket passers to go around, so a lot of teams have one of their best athletes play QB in a mostly read/option based offense.

What do you mean by easier?

The discrepancy in talent between most college player is so large that you can put a 4.3-4.4 guy at QB and have them run around everyone. They don't even have to be able to throw. 

See: Nick Marshall, Braxton Miller, Dernard Robinson, Terrell Pryor, ect..

Fast guys are easier to find then guys who can throw are. 

The discrepancy in talent between most college player is so large that you can put a 4.3-4.4 guy at QB and have them run around everyone. They don't even have to be able to throw.

See: Nick Marshall, Braxton Miller, Dernard Robinson, Terrell Pryor, ect..

Fast guys are easier to find then guys who can throw are.

Like who?

Luck, Wilson, Kaep, Newton, RG ... Manziel this year.

The list Dustin gave sums it up. Fast, play QB and run a spread/read-option offense

None of those QB's will be anything in the NFL. Dennard couldn't even get the chance to compete against Gabbert as a QB. Instead was labeled an "Offensive Weapon" which was lame imo but hey, it's the Jags

Don't forget about guys like Dennis Dixon too. Playing QB in college is almost video game like. Step to the NFL & the frauds get exposed quick

If Braxton Miller comes out this year along with his RB Hyde, Miller will see that he has to learn how to throw

The list Dustin gave sums it up. Fast, play QB and run a spread/read-option offense

None of those QB's will be anything in the NFL. Dennard couldn't even get the chance to compete against Gabbert as a QB. Instead was labeled an "Offensive Weapon" which was lame imo but hey, it's the Jags

Don't forget about guys like Dennis Dixon too. Playing QB in college is almost video game like. Step to the NFL & the frauds get exposed quick

If Braxton Miller comes out this year along with his RB Hyde, Miller will see that he has to learn how to throw

There are plenty of fraudulent pocket passers as well. College has a vast pool of players and only small percentage at any position make to the NFL.

Luck, Wilson, Kaep, Newton, RG ... Manziel this year.

Yeah, those are the rare exceptions.  For each one of those guys, there are a hundred Denard Robinsons, Pat Whites, Dennis Dixons etc etc.  The reason those guys you mentioned wind up in the NFL is because they can throw.  That's what differentiates them from the hundreds of other athletic read/option QB's.

Yeah, those are the rare exceptions.  For each one of those guys, there are a hundred Denard Robinsons, Pat Whites, Dennis Dixons etc etc.  The reason those guys you mentioned wind up in the NFL is because they can throw.  That's what differentiates them from the hundreds of other athletic read/option QB's.

Sure just like for every Brady and Manning there are the Ryan Leaf's, Tim Couch's and Mark Sanchez's etc. etc. The point is athletic guys that can throw are the future of the NFL. If Brady tried to come out today, he would have never been drafted because he was such a poor physical specimen coming out of college. The tide has shifted.

Sure just like for every Brady and Manning there are the Ryan Leaf's, Tim Couch's and Mark Sanchez's etc. etc. The point is athletic guys that can throw are the future of the NFL. If Brady tried to come out today, he would have never been drafted because he was such a poor physical specimen coming out of college. The tide has shifted.

Athletic running qbs is not new in the NFL. The future in the nfl is a guy who can throw the ball. If they can also run, that's just a bonus.

Athletic running qbs is not new in the NFL. The future in the nfl is a guy who can throw the ball. If they can also run, that's just a bonus.

A throw/run combo will supersede the pure passer. Look no further then Kaep as proof. His passing is average at best but is running ability put him as the starter.

A throw/run combo will supersede the pure passer. Look no further then Kaep as proof. His passing is average at best but is running ability put him as the starter.

and he is behind guy like rodgers, brees, Manning, Brady

and he is behind guy like rodgers, brees, Manning, Brady

Kaep owns Rodgers/GB.

And you listed the elite guys of who three will be gone in the next 2-5 years. The future will be the Kaeps, Newtons, Wilsons and Lucks ... and I would categorize Rodgers right there with the throwing/running QBs. You could argue that he began the wave ...

Kaep owns Rodgers/GB.

And you listed the elite guys of who three will be gone in the next 2-5 years. The future will be the Kaeps, Newtons, Wilsons and Lucks ... and I would categorize Rodgers right there with the throwing/running QBs. You could argue that he began the wave ...

Rodgers is by far a better qb than Kaepernick.

Kaep owns Rodgers/GB.

LOL    ok

Rodgers is by far a better qb than Kaepernick.

I didn't say Kaep was better but he has beaten Rodgers the last few times and much of that has been with his legs.

But my point was not who the best QBs are but the fact that the mobile guys who can throw will superseded the pure pocket passer statues. I think guys like Brady and Manning are once in a lifetime and even they struggle when pressured and moved off their spot. Kaep is an average passer at best and will land a big contract this off-season.

But my point was not who the best QBs are but the fact that the mobile guys who can throw will superseded the pure pocket passer statues.

Obviously. This isn't a "new" thing. It's hard to find that combination. The only thing that reallyt matters to NFL teams is the ability to throw. Running ability is just a bonus. If 2 guys have the same throwing ability they'll obviously pick the more mobile guy. If player A is a much better passer than player B and A is a pocket passer and B is a runner, then A almost always goes ahead of that guy. 

It's why Luck went over RG3, Teddy B will go over Johnny Manziel, and Jamies Winston will go over Marcus Mariota next year. 

Obviously. This isn't a "new" thing. It's hard to find that combination. 

The only thing that matter is the ability to throw. Running ability is just a bonus.

It's why Luck went over RG3, Teddy B will go over Johnny Manziel, and Jamies Winston will go over Marcus Mariota next year. 

Sure, I agree with that but HCs are looking for mobility as much as passing. Not Kaep or Newton type of mobility as they are rare but def. Luck, Rodgers, Wilson type of mobility. The statue QBs will be few going forward.