Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What Are The Bright Spots On The Field This Season? No Negativity Please.

GoGoColts

The running game has been better, we've been down so much in games though we haven't been able to use it. I also think our o-line is better even with the make shift line it has been most of the season.

Honestly the biggest bright spot this year might be this year's draft class as a whole, Castonzo, Ijalana, Nevis, and Carter all look like they could be starters next year or very big key players and Rucker is getting some good experience for a late round pick that could pay off for him down the road.

Also McAfee is proving to be a stud at life and it has gone largely unnoticed but Jeff Saturday has had a really really really good year.

Painter's improvement (even with the recent setbacks).

Brown's improvement.

Carter being more versatile than expected. He's a keeper.

Saturday rebounding just when we thought he was on the way out.

Costanza - starter for a long long time I hope.

Ijalana - very promising in his brief stint - looking forward to next year.

Pollack/Reitz/Diem/Linkenbach/Ojinnakki - better than one would have expected.

Garcon - more reliable, and if possible more explosive.

Anderson - a little nervous after reading about him in Atlanta, but he's an asset

Nevis - the most exiting tackle I can remember us drafting in in very long time.

Angerer/Conner/Wheeler - all looking terrific in spurts (although coverage issues).

Thomas - shown enough already to make me think he can be a starter.

Lefeged/Caldwell/Rucker - occasional positives among the disaster we call a defensive backfield.

McAfee - if this were baseball he would be the Colts designated all-star. Perhaps he actually will be. The guy is something else.

In short, there's a lot of decent young players, and some vets stepping up and showing more than was expected of them. There are a LOT of things about this year that I'm enthusiastic about. I'm hoping something good grows out of the experience.

The O line and running game seem to have been more effective this year than in years past.

The 2011 draft class, although I don't know that we have seen enough form Ijalana to make any sort of assessment. Costanzo, Carter, Nevis, Rucker have all been contributors.

This bad season could end up with some positives just in our thought processes and coaching styles. I am excited for 2012

Painter's improvement (even with the recent setbacks).

Brown's improvement.

Carter being more versatile than expected. He's a keeper.

Saturday rebounding just when we thought he was on the way out.

Costanza - starter for a long long time I hope.

Ijalana - very promising in his brief stint - looking forward to next year.

Pollack/Reitz/Diem/Linkenbach/Ojinnakki - better than one would have expected.

Garcon - more reliable, and if possible more explosive.

Anderson - a little nervous after reading about him in Atlanta, but he's an asset

Nevis - the most exiting tackle I can remember us drafting in in very long time.

Angerer/Conner/Wheeler - all looking terrific in spurts (although coverage issues).

Thomas - shown enough already to make me think he can be a starter.

Lefeged/Caldwell/Rucker - occasional positives among the disaster we call a defensive backfield.

McAfee - if this were baseball he would be the Colts designated all-star. Perhaps he actually will be. The guy is something else.

In short, there's a lot of decent young players, and some vets stepping up and showing more than was expected of them. There are a LOT of things about this year that I'm enthusiastic about. I'm hoping something good grows out of the experience.

You just listed our entire team. How can that be a bright spot?! All our OL. Our Qb. 2x rb. A wr. 2 dl. Our entire LB core. And 90% of the secondary.

0-9 and all these guys are bright spots?!

Discuss?

Brown and Carter.......Kavell Connor at linebacker....Anthony Costanzo..

..and the fact that nobody has turned on anybody or on their coach or management..

Its okay for us to talk about them but they have kept any internal complaints to themselevs..unlike some other teams..

they're all in this together...

You just listed our entire team. How can that be a bright spot?! All our OL. Our Qb. 2x rb. A wr. 2 dl. Our entire LB core. And 90% of the secondary.

This X 10000000000

I don't think Painter is progressing at all. He has DIGRESSED throughout this season. He had a few games where defenses weren't quite sure how we were going to attack them (aka bubble screens to Garcon). Since the defenses have adjusted he has been absolutely pathetic. The only way he is a bright spot is if he finally cuts off that ugly excuse for hair.

The running game has been better, we've been down so much in games though we haven't been able to use it. I also think our o-line is better even with the make shift line it has been most of the season.

Honestly the biggest bright spot this year might be this year's draft class as a whole, Castonzo, Ijalana, Nevis, and Carter all look like they could be starters next year or very big key players and Rucker is getting some good experience for a late round pick that could pay off for him down the road.

Also McAfee is proving to be a stud at life and it has gone largely unnoticed but Jeff Saturday has had a really really really good year.

Yep, Mac and the running game... On D.... nothing is special. Next season, depending on what Manning's situation is... I would not mind at all to see this team draft ALL DB's in every round.

After Luck that is... :heh:

So based on our record, there can't be any bright spots? The purpose of this thread was to find things to be optimistic about. I'm optimistic when a kid steps in and shows signs that he may develop into an integral player going forward. By your reasoning a baseball team isn't allowed to identify any bright spots in their minor league system if the teams collectively had a loosing record - even if they had a half dozen players in baseball america's top 100.

Ten of the 22 players that I mentioned (by the way, there are 53 on a roster, just to clarify) are seeing their first action. The fact that they make mistakes that contribute to losses now doesn't mean that they can't improve with experience.

Yep, Mac and the running game... On D.... nothing is special. Next season, depending on what Manning's situation is... I would not mind at all to see this team draft ALL DB's in every round.

After Luck that is... :heh:

You know I think we are a play making corner and a safety for depth (a middle round guy) away from a fixed secondary. I think Thomas is getting the expereince he needs this season to be pretty good and I do think Powers is a very solid corner in the NFL but we need the play making number one guy. I agree we get Luck or the next best QB in this draft depending on where we pick. Then I think we need to do target the corner spot with out next pick and if we don't think a guy we can use is going to be there with the first pick of the second round I would trade up to get one or heaven forbid...use free agency to get a proven starter, I know there is no way in the world we are going to be able to go get a big name corner but we can get a proven guy who can still play.

McAfee has been great, and there were some others that such as Angerer that have done well. The biggest positive that I have personally felt, although it doesn't take place on the field, is being able to buy tickets to the Colts game for 1/2 face value. I'll be attending my second home game Sunday with the family. It didn't make good financial sense to purchase tickets in the last 5 years or more, but now, they are affordable. So I'm going to list that as the one positive I can without dwelling on the other vulgarities.

So based on our record, there can't be any bright spots? The purpose of this thread was to find things to be optimistic about. I'm optimistic when a kid steps in and shows signs that he may develop into an integral player going forward. By your reasoning a baseball team isn't allowed to identify any bright spots in their minor league system if the teams collectively had a loosing record - even if they had a half dozen players in baseball america's top 100.

Ten of the 22 players that I mentioned (by the way, there are 53 on a roster, just to clarify) are seeing their first action. The fact that they make mistakes that contribute to losses now doesn't mean that they can't improve with experience.

You were being ridiculous. 'Bright spots' was the challenge, and you gave us the sun. You are clearly watching the games on the radio. This team has been putrid from top to bottom, except Pat x 2. Bethea has been our only true shining star so far.

You were being ridiculous. 'Bright spots' was the challenge, and you gave us the sun. You are clearly watching the games on the radio. This team has been putrid from top to bottom, except Pat x 2. Bethea has been our only true shining star so far.

And you are being aggressively unpleasant and negative (to be "ridiculously" kind).

Do you comprehend the title of the thread? Did you come here for any reason other than to find people whose buttons you could push? There are endless threads on this site which should be of far more interest to those just looking to curse and moan. I've heard tell that many also involve pointing fingers, if that is of interest to you.

And you are being aggressively unpleasant and negative (to be "ridiculously" kind).

Do you comprehend the title of the thread? Did you come here for any reason other than to find people whose buttons you could push? There are endless threads on this site which should be of far more interest to those just looking to curse and moan. I've heard tell that many also involve pointing fingers, if that is of interest to you.

Sorry mate. Picking nearly half a team as 'bright spots' when we are as useless as we are this year is actually very ridiculous. Sorry, can't say it any nicer. Anyway, I was attacking your post, not you personally. But I'll live.

Don't post on forums if you can't accept others will disagree with you.

Sorry mate. Picking nearly half a team as 'bright spots' when we are as useless as we are this year is actually very ridiculous. Sorry, can't say it any nicer. Anyway, I was attacking your post, not you personally. But I'll live.

Don't post on forums if you can't accept others will disagree with you.

What gives you the impression that I can't handle others disagreeing with me? I handled it just fine.

I repeat, my post was completely in keeping with the OPs request. You're response was not, plus was a bit rude. You reap what you sow.

What gives you the impression that I can't handle others disagreeing with me? I handled it just fine.

I repeat, my post was completely in keeping with the OPs request. You're response was not, plus was a bit rude. You reap what you sow.

Before I go, I re-read your post and actually laughed. At the first line.......

So MAC, what is it you're seeing out of Painter that leads you to believe he's improving?

(note: not trying to be negative, I just don't see what you're seeing is all)

I was referring to the season in total. There have been long stretches where he has looked every bit the NFL QB - something that few fans or writers considered even a remote possibility prior to this season. In that sense there has been considerable improvement.

I realize that he has regressed in the past two games - inaccurate, ineffective, mental mistakes, etc. It doesn't bother me "that" much because all QBs have ups and downs when they are just getting the chance to play, and because the offensive line - which had issues to begin with - has been torn apart by injuries. A young QB playing in a scheme where every pass has to be released virtually as soon as he catches it is a recipe for disaster. Painter is now playing as if he is about to get sacked momentarily even when he isn't. I think it's mental, and correctable.

Once again, we are looking for bright spots. I've seen Painter do some things well that Orlovsky (and even Collins) appear to be simply incapable of ever doing. The bottom line isn't working out well for a variety of reasons, but I'm figuring that if somebody can make a good throw once, they can make it 1,000 times. That's preferable to having someone who can't make the throw at all. Painter just needs to calm down and get some more experience and confidence.

Edited by MAC

I was referring to the season in total. There have been long stretches where he has looked every bit the NFL QB - something that few fans or writers considered even a remote possibility prior to this season. In that sense there has been considerable improvement.

I realize that he has regressed in the past two games - inaccurate, ineffective, mental mistakes, etc. It doesn't bother me "that" much because all QBs have ups and downs when they are just getting the chance to play, and because the offensive line - which had issues to begin with - has been torn apart by injuries. A young QB playing in a scheme where every pass has to be released virtually as soon as he catches it is a recipe for disaster. Painter is now playing as if he is about to get sacked momentarily even when he isn't. I think it's mental, and correctable.

Once again, we are looking for bright spots. I've seen Painter do some things well that Orlovsky (and even Collins) appear to be simply incapable of ever doing. The bottom line isn't working out well for a variety of reasons, but I'm figuring that if somebody can make a good throw once, they can make it 1,000 times. That's preferable to having someone who can't make the throw at all. Painter just needs to calm down and get some more experience and confidence.

Ok, I see what you're saying.

I disagree but I get where you're coming from. From my vantage point, Painter is one of the things about this season the OP asked us not to talk about. :)

Thanks for the response though.

I'm still trying to determine just how much our running game has actually improved and how much of that improvement is a function of teams not caring if we run because we're down and the clock is against us.

Ok, I see what you're saying.

I disagree but I get where you're coming from. From my vantage point, Painter is one of the things about this season the OP asked us not to talk about. :)

Thanks for the response though.

I'm still trying to determine just how much our running game has actually improved and how much of that improvement is a function of teams not caring if we run because we're down and the clock is against us.

I'm sure that a lot of the time we're running when the defense is not focusing on it, but you should give Painter some credit for frequently changing the play to get the Colts into a run. I'm no expert, but when I see him running around talking to every player (the RB stepping up to hear him) and the result is a 5+ yard running gain, I tend to assume that the original play might have been pretty ugly if they had stuck with it. Strangely though, it seems that our OL - chock full of scrubs and rookies - seems better running the ball than any Colts line in years. I'd like to attribute that to positive changes since Mudd has left, but the fact that they are pretty awful in pass blocking mutes my enthusiasm a lot. I'm hoping that the line will heal, Castonzo will improve, and Painter will calm down. He steppe backwards in the NO debacle - running for his life for three hours in a hostile environment - and hasn't been the same since. Hopefully the game will slow down for him again soon.

I have to ask why you are sticking with your avatar at this point? :) Unless it is actually an insult that my eyes aren't good enough to pick out.

I'm sure that a lot of the time we're running when the defense is not focusing on it, but you should give Painter some credit for frequently changing the play to get the Colts into a run. I'm no expert, but when I see him running around talking to every player (the RB stepping up to hear him) and the result is a 5+ yard running gain, I tend to assume that the original play might have been pretty ugly if they had stuck with it. Strangely though, it seems that our OL - chock full of scrubs and rookies - seems better running the ball than any Colts line in years. I'd like to attribute that to positive changes since Mudd has left, but the fact that they are pretty awful in pass blocking mutes my enthusiasm a lot. I'm hoping that the line will heal, Castonzo will improve, and Painter will calm down. He steppe backwards in the NO debacle - running for his life for three hours in a hostile environment - and hasn't been the same since. Hopefully the game will slow down for him again soon.

I have to ask why you are sticking with your avatar at this point? :) Unless it is actually an insult that my eyes aren't good enough to pick out.

No, not an insult. More of just a joke. If it wasn't so small, you might be able to tell it's actually Bob Ross's body that Curtis's head is sitting on. And Bob Ross is awesome. Also, I tend to deal with adversity by making fun of it. I might change it at some point. We'll see.

As to our O-line, I've been pimping both Ijalana and Costanza pretty hard since we signed them. I was really bummed when Ijalana went down because I'm afraid it will stunt his development. Reitz has been a pleasant surprise as well.

I think you might be right about the NO debacle regarding Painter. Which concerns me because the same thing kinda happened after the Jets game two years back (not his fault btw, that was an impossible situation to put him into) But it makes me nervous that he seems to lose confidence pretty quickly. We'll see. I hope he can develop into a decent backup one day (which I think if we're honest is his realistic ceiling)

I'm not being a smart mouth when I say this, I truly mean it. The only bright spot I see is that we have some great high end picks coming and have likely witnessed the death of the tampa/cover-2 scheme.

There are some individual efforts I must note; Nevis was looking great until injury, Castonzo looks good in what limited time he's played, Carter is for sure a keeper....he's going to be our featured back more than Addai simply because Addai can't stay healthy. McAfee is a pimp....pro-bowl bound.

But thats literally it....thats it, nothing more. We suck and we can't do diddly-poo. Even Frathis has fallen off the stat sheet entirely, Wayne can't get going due to poor QB'ing and Clark has been toxic.

You know I think we are a play making corner and a safety for depth (a middle round guy) away from a fixed secondary. I think Thomas is getting the expereince he needs this season to be pretty good and I do think Powers is a very solid corner in the NFL but we need the play making number one guy. I agree we get Luck or the next best QB in this draft depending on where we pick. Then I think we need to do target the corner spot with out next pick and if we don't think a guy we can use is going to be there with the first pick of the second round I would trade up to get one or heaven forbid...use free agency to get a proven starter, I know there is no way in the world we are going to be able to go get a big name corner but we can get a proven guy who can still play.

I agree, I was being a little snarky... Powers IS a very good player (although teetering on the injury prone tag), and I have liked what I have seen from Thomas. And Bethea is always solid.

I would like to see more of Rucker also.

In reality, if Manning returns I hope Indy trades the pick for "mucho picks"... and if Manning does not come back... It's Luck and then I would start beefing up the OL and DL.

I agree, I was being a little snarky... Powers IS a very good player (although teetering on the injury prone tag), and I have liked what I have seen from Thomas. And Bethea is always solid.

I would like to see more of Rucker also.

In reality, if Manning returns I hope Indy trades the pick for "mucho picks"... and if Manning does not come back... It's Luck and then I would start beefing up the OL and DL.

Oh no I get what you were saying I was just building on it and saying how I would fix the secondary that's all.