Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

PFF Grades on the Colt's 2014 FA Deals

Source:  https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/03/11/2014-free-agency-deal-grader/

PFF did not give a positive grade on any of the Colt's FA moves.  Here are their critiques of the team's top three FA signings:

0.0:  Color us indifferent.

Arthur Jones (DL) to Colts: 5-year, $33m with $10m guaranteed

The Colts are still making use of the cap space that Andrew Luck’s relatively modest contract gives them, but in Jones they’ve added a player who is fairly one dimensional. He was our 12th ranked 3-4 DE last season but was almost entirely average as a pass-rusher, making him a very expensive role player in the Colts’ rotation.

-0.5:  Did you really need to make that move?

D’Qwell Jackson (LB) to Colts: 4-year, $22m with $11m guaranteed

At his peak Jackson was one of the best inside linebackers in the game. His great instincts saw him flow to the ball and make plays. But age and injury have caught up to him to a degree, while playing in a 3-4 system has often times left him struggling to get off blockers at the second level. That is what makes this a negative move with Jackson accumulating a -20.9 run defense grade over the past two years. His saving grace? His work in coverage.

Vontae Davis (CB) to Colts: 4-year, $39m with $20m guaranteed

If we could guarantee that Davis was going to play to his potential then this would be closer to a positive. The problem is for as good as he can look (see his performance against Denver this year that was the highest we ever graded a cornerback) he can turn around the next week and look like a completely different player. He is a good player but $9.25m a year is an awful lot of your cap to wrap up in someone so inconsistent.

How is Arthur Jones a negative grade? I don't know much about him but Kevin Bowen & other Colts writers seemed high on him when they were writing their articles once he signed

they didn't give him a negative grade

Did he slipped my attention or Hakeem Nicks is really missing the list???

Davis a negative grade?? Seriously? He was ranked as top 5 FA CB before free agency, and his money is nowhere close to Talib's or Cromartie's.

Arthur Jones was a must for Colts, we've really needed a serviceable DE who is familiar with 3-4 system.

Did he slipped my attention or Hakeem Nicks is really missing the list???

Davis a negative grade?? Seriously? He was ranked as top 5 FA CB before free agency, and his money is nowhere close to Talib's or Cromartie's.

Arthur Jones was a must for Colts, we've really needed a serviceable DE who is familiar with 3-4 system.

Isn't his contract more expensive on a yearly basis?

...Davis a negative grade?? Seriously? He was ranked as top 5 FA CB before free agency, and his money is nowhere close to Talib's or Cromartie's...

Our pass coverage has stunk,  and Davis played throughout the past two years.

I did not think he deserved the big paycheck.

With the big FA signings of Davis, Jackson and Jones, I just do not see much improvement for our defense in 2014.

no that's Jackson and Davis. They have Jones the 0.0 grade

Ohh, okay. First time I've ever paid attention to these PFF guys. But that still raises a question. Why a 0? Are they saying he's just an even player?

I think he'll be a good addition to the team barring injury

With the big FA signings of Davis, Jackson and Jones, I just do not see much improvement for our defense in 2014.

lmao

Source:  https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/03/11/2014-free-agency-deal-grader/

PFF did not give a positive grade on any of the Colt's FA moves.  Here are their critiques of the team's top three FA signings:

The Colts are still making use of the cap space that Andrew Luck’s relatively modest contract gives them, but in Jones they’ve added a player who is fairly one dimensional. He was our 12th ranked 3-4 DE last season but was almost entirely average as a pass-rusher, making him a very expensive role player in the Colts’ rotation.

At his peak Jackson was one of the best inside linebackers in the game. His great instincts saw him flow to the ball and make plays. But age and injury have caught up to him to a degree, while playing in a 3-4 system has often times left him struggling to get off blockers at the second level. That is what makes this a negative move with Jackson accumulating a -20.9 run defense grade over the past two years. His saving grace? His work in coverage.

If we could guarantee that Davis was going to play to his potential then this would be closer to a positive. The problem is for as good as he can look (see his performance against Denver this year that was the highest we ever graded a cornerback) he can turn around the next week and look like a completely different player. He is a good player but $9.25m a year is an awful lot of your cap to wrap up in someone so inconsistent.

Personally I don't agree with this PFF rating I think its Bull Crap I mean resigning Davis and bringing Jackson is a -1.5 and Art Jones is a 0.0 I think these guys alone will have this defense close to the top of the league and 3-4 DE are not known for 15 sacks a season I think the most I ever seen out of one was like anywhere between 5-8 sacks a season. So I must say these people on NFL network and ESPN mainly don't know what they are talking about.

Hmmmm!

Our run D has Stunk and our pass rush has Stunk.

Quite simply, we were consistently NOT in nearly enough good (x + Long) situations to pressure the QB leaving YOUR secondary consistently EXPOSED.

Ya, I think i will trade a whole bunch of Moala and Mathews snaps for Arthur Jones, with a healthy RJF, More M Hughes, and Pendleton. Yes I am CERTAIN this will help our ILB`s make plays against the run.

Yes D`Qwell is still good against the pass and we can get Freeman off the field in many pass situations for McNary.

Yes our D was better with Toler in the lineup and actually getting Coverage sacks for the 1st time since ...????

Maybe our D Co-ordinator will have some over the top HELP (make Adjustments) for Davis against the Super fast blazers that got past him several times last season.

We had a number of weak Links on our D last season. Now it is just inexperience at Safety IMO.

How will we look at our safety position come Playoff time, ???

The fact we got rid of so many weak links on the O+ D and have better replacements allows me to believe that our Personel dept.is Building IT!

Just to take this step by step...

Jones was signed to help secure the defensive front, particularly in the run game. He'll be great at that. But he also gets push up the middle on passing downs, and when we're in nickel, he'll be lined up at either 1- or 3-tech, for the most part, preventing QBs from stepping up in the pocket. He doesn't have sexy moves as a rusher, but he will help create a noisy and uncomfortable pocket. His yearly average makes him the 24th highest paid DE/DT in the league, and is about average for a veteran contract. I can understand PFF not being excited about this signing, since he doesn't fill up the stat sheet, and he doesn't register high on their rankings, but guys who play with technique in the run game don't exactly jump out at you. In 700 plays, Jones probably got 600 zeros in their grading system, because most of what he does can't be graded positively or negatively. But what he does is important in order to stop the run up front. B+

Jackson is kind of the opposite. While a lot of people thought we needed a thumping run stuffer at ILB, the plan is to be better along the defensive line in the run game (which is the reason for the Jones deal). What really hurt us at ILB was pass coverage, and Jackson has graded out good in coverage. He's also active in the run game, does a good job of finding the ball carrier, and will be in good position most of the time. Not a thumper, but he represents a significant upgrade over the players we had alongside Jerrell Freeman last year (Angerer, Sheppard, etc.) And he's better in coverage than Conner was. There's also the issue of his leadership; Grigson insinuated that Jackson will be calling the plays for the defense next year. His contract is essentially a one year deal, small signing bonus, with more guaranteed money that kicks in at the beginning of 2015 (assuming my interpretation is correct). It is also about average for a veteran ILB, but the pay-as-you-go structure makes it low risk for us. Again, I understand people not being over the moon about this signing, but it makes sense for us, and it doesn't cost a lot of money. B

Davis, I get the concern. He has a high average salary, making him a top ten player at his position, essentially $20m guaranteed, and he's not consistently at the top of his game. At his best, he's an outstanding corner who rivals the very best in the game, but as the write-up says, he'll follow up his best with a head scratching performance. He's probably not at his peak yet, so hopefully he learns how to better sustain his highs and minimize the lows. But if we pay him $20m and he doesn't perform like a top tier corner, then we'll be on the losing end of this one. PFF didn't rate the Sam Shields signing, which is bigger and has more signing bonus, and I definitely prefer both Davis as a player and his contract to Shields'. B-

They didn't rate Hakeem Nicks. Potential go-to receiver, still young, incentive-laden deal with no long-term risk, who can bolster our WR corps and serve as an insurance policy in case Wayne doesn't come back at a high level. Some are worried about the development of the young guys we already have, but I think when you have the opportunity to add a proven playmaker at such a low cost, you make it happen and don't look back. This move adds a dimension and potentially removes a question mark on our roster. A

I definitely think we have more work to do to bolster the pass rush, and we need more help on the back end, but independently, these signings make a lot of sense. Davis' deal came in a bit heavier than I'd hoped, but the deal makes sense given the market that developed this year. 

Ohh, okay. First time I've ever paid attention to these PFF guys. But that still raises a question. Why a 0? Are they saying he's just an even player?

I think he'll be a good addition to the team barring injury

Gee, they clearly were saying he was overpaid for his skill set. They deducted him for his rush producttivity for last season but he controls his lane, does get Push, knows where the ball is and is disruptive.

Chapman, M Hughes, Pendleton, Moala work for Chump change, to give us a very decent Cost Per for our D-Line.

He fills a Huge need. An Excellent run stuffer, especially compared to *s Moala & Mathews.

His snaps on 1st down will be particularly VALUABLE to our scheme. MORE 2nd, 3rd and LONGS.

With our good press coverage :thmsup:  Oh yaaa!

Personally I don't agree with this PFF rating I think its Bull Crap I mean resigning Davis and bringing Jackson is a -1.5 and Art Jones is a 0.0 I think these guys alone will have this defense close to the top of the league and 3-4 DE are not known for 15 sacks a season I think the most I ever seen out of one was like anywhere between 5-8 sacks a season. So I must say these people on NFL network and ESPN mainly don't know what they are talking about.

James, every players Salary is based on all of their skills. All the Grader was saying was for the $$$, Jones should be BETTER at getting to the QB. And that ISN`T just talking about Sacks as YOU suggest. It includes Sacks, Hits, & Hurries.

Of course their grades don`t allow for the quality of players around you which can elevate or hurt a players effectiveness.

Jones # as a Total of SHH was lower at pressuring the QB than a lot of DE`s therefore they balanced that with his overall effectiveness, his Vg run defense and then the $$$ we gave him. If we had got him for say $4m i am sure his signing would have gotten a nice plus rating.

Wish him good health cause he Will make it much more difficult to run his way than what we have been getting.lol.

Last Season Colts fan NFL D MVP

Mathis 63 Sacks Hits hurries in just over 860 plays

J Hughes (age 25) 59 SHH in 620 plays. Sure Glad we got rid of that BUST Hughes. Hughes did Only have two FF.

Just to take this step by step...

Jones was signed to help secure the defensive front, particularly in the run game. He'll be great at that. But he also gets push up the middle on passing downs, and when we're in nickel, he'll be lined up at either 1- or 3-tech, for the most part, preventing QBs from stepping up in the pocket. He doesn't have sexy moves as a rusher, but he will help create a noisy and uncomfortable pocket. His yearly average makes him the 24th highest paid DE/DT in the league, and is about average for a veteran contract. I can understand PFF not being excited about this signing, since he doesn't fill up the stat sheet, and he doesn't register high on their rankings, but guys who play with technique in the run game don't exactly jump out at you. In 700 plays, Jones probably got 600 zeros in their grading system, because most of what he does can't be graded positively or negatively. But what he does is important in order to stop the run up front. B+

Jackson is kind of the opposite. While a lot of people thought we needed a thumping run stuffer at ILB, the plan is to be better along the defensive line in the run game (which is the reason for the Jones deal). What really hurt us at ILB was pass coverage, and Jackson has graded out good in coverage. He's also active in the run game, does a good job of finding the ball carrier, and will be in good position most of the time. Not a thumper, but he represents a significant upgrade over the players we had alongside Jerrell Freeman last year (Angerer, Sheppard, etc.) And he's better in coverage than Conner was. There's also the issue of his leadership; Grigson insinuated that Jackson will be calling the plays for the defense next year. His contract is essentially a one year deal, small signing bonus, with more guaranteed money that kicks in at the beginning of 2015 (assuming my interpretation is correct). It is also about average for a veteran ILB, but the pay-as-you-go structure makes it low risk for us. Again, I understand people not being over the moon about this signing, but it makes sense for us, and it doesn't cost a lot of money. B

Davis, I get the concern. He has a high average salary, making him a top ten player at his position, essentially $20m guaranteed, and he's not consistently at the top of his game. At his best, he's an outstanding corner who rivals the very best in the game, but as the write-up says, he'll follow up his best with a head scratching performance. He's probably not at his peak yet, so hopefully he learns how to better sustain his highs and minimize the lows. But if we pay him $20m and he doesn't perform like a top tier corner, then we'll be on the losing end of this one. PFF didn't rate the Sam Shields signing, which is bigger and has more signing bonus, and I definitely prefer both Davis as a player and his contract to Shields'. B-

They didn't rate Hakeem Nicks. Potential go-to receiver, still young, incentive-laden deal with no long-term risk, who can bolster our WR corps and serve as an insurance policy in case Wayne doesn't come back at a high level. Some are worried about the development of the young guys we already have, but I think when you have the opportunity to add a proven playmaker at such a low cost, you make it happen and don't look back. This move adds a dimension and potentially removes a question mark on our roster. A

I definitely think we have more work to do to bolster the pass rush, and we need more help on the back end, but independently, these signings make a lot of sense. Davis' deal came in a bit heavier than I'd hoped, but the deal makes sense given the market that developed this year. 

Spot on.

Jones is a great addition for our run D. And i believe we have a very reasonable cost per for our top 7 D-Lineman with a nice mix of youth and experience..

Jones contract gives us a VN savings after 2 years if need be and his 4th year $ is high enough he will be restructuring or moving on more than likely.

Spotrac shows D Jacksons Roster bonus of like $4.7M for 2015 Guaranteed This March. If correct he is here for 2 years. 

That would make one think they are kinda high on him, ya think? ;)

Vontae gets his $20M guaranteed in the 1st 2 years making his year 3 salary like $7M. Not bad for a Good press corner, and then $9M in year 4. Again, not bad for 4 years down the road expecting a Higher CAP. His  $5.5M signing bonus makes him very cutable/ tradeable after year two if we feel we need to. Nice job GM.

James, every players Salary is based on all of their skills. All the Grader was saying was for the $$$, Jones should be BETTER at getting to the QB. And that ISN`T just talking about Sacks as YOU suggest. It includes Sacks, Hits, & Hurries.

Of course their grades don`t allow for the quality of players around you which can elevate or hurt a players effectiveness.

Jones # as a Total of SHH was lower at pressuring the QB than a lot of DE`s therefore they balanced that with his overall effectiveness, his Vg run defense and then the $$$ we gave him. If we had got him for say $4m i am sure his signing would have gotten a nice plus rating.

Wish him good health cause he Will make it much more difficult to run his way than what we have been getting.lol.

Last Season Colts fan NFL D MVP

Mathis 63 Sacks Hits hurries in just over 860 plays

J Hughes (age 25) 59 SHH in 620 plays. Sure Glad we got rid of that BUST Hughes. Hughes did Only have two FF.

oops that wasn`t worded well. Perhaps in FA a players value would be graded on their overall skill set.

haha! Then you throw in team need, perhaps Giant CAP $$$ available, GM insanity, ... and ....  :D 

Every site I've seen says we gave Davis way to much money.....

It seems like everyone is overpaid unless a team gives the player minimum wage or the player is loved by the media..

It's not like we really had a choice if we wanted to keep him! He is still young and was a top 5 corner on the FA market.

Spot on.

Jones is a great addition for our run D. And i believe we have a very reasonable cost per for our top 7 D-Lineman with a nice mix of youth and experience..

Jones contract gives us a VN savings after 2 years if need be and his 4th year $ is high enough he will be restructuring or moving on more than likely.

Spotrac shows D Jacksons Roster bonus of like $4.7M for 2015 Guaranteed This March. If correct he is here for 2 years. 

That would make one think they are kinda high on him, ya think? ;)

Vontae gets his $20M guaranteed in the 1st 2 years making his year 3 salary like $7M. Not bad for a Good press corner, and then $9M in year 4. Again, not bad for 4 years down the road expecting a Higher CAP. His  $5.5M signing bonus makes him very cutable/ tradeable after year two if we feel we need to. Nice job GM.

Jackson's roster bonus is a point of contention with me. He'll likely be here in 2015, so it's a non-issue. But the CBA states pretty clearly that you can't guarantee a future roster bonus. They went out and snatched him up for $5.5m/year, so there's no question they're high on him. And the yearly average is higher than I anticipated it would be, but it's not out of whack. Dansby is older and got a little bit more.

Davis' cash is $10m this year, $10m next year. Still a good structure for the total value, but higher average than I expected. If he's moved after Year 2, it's only a $2.5m cap penalty. And it fits the market. The only -- ONLY -- complaint, is Davis' inconsistency.

When the Patriots get Revis for 12 million and the Colts are left with Davis for 10 million that's pretty awful when you consider how much better Revis is.  The Colts seem to be perfectly content to not be a championship contender which is pretty sad considering in the next couple years the rookie contracts of Luck, Hilton and Allen will expire and the team is not going to have the cap space to make a solid championship team.

We had no choice on Davis the market was set. I totally disagree with the article I think all 3 signings make the D stronger.  I also believe Costa can be serviceable at C. I have no problem with anything Grigs has done this off season. In an ideal world Davis would have come at a cheaper price and you know Grigs was tempted to let him walk but we couldn't we had to pay it. Let's hope Davis earns it.

I am just happy we didn't over pay for Decker and his reality show. Everything else seemed reasonable and made us a better unit. Football is about cohesiveness as a unit 11 playing as 1 you can't just hit reset every year doesn't work like that. You build it bring guys in that fit what you are doing. That is why I personally don't have a problem with Howell getting his shot at S. We added two new starters to D one that already knows the system. We added 2 new starters to upgrade the offense. Grab the best available pieces in the draft and lets keep building.

When the Patriots get Revis for 12 million and the Colts are left with Davis for 10 million that's pretty awful when you consider how much better Revis is. The Colts seem to be perfectly content to not be a championship contender which is pretty sad considering in the next couple years the rookie contracts of Luck, Hilton and Allen will expire and the team is not going to have the cap space to make a solid championship team.

Revis got a 2 year $32M deal with the first year entirely guaranteed.

When the Patriots get Revis for 12 million and the Colts are left with Davis for 10 million that's pretty awful when you consider how much better Revis is.  The Colts seem to be perfectly content to not be a championship contender which is pretty sad considering in the next couple years the rookie contracts of Luck, Hilton and Allen will expire and the team is not going to have the cap space to make a solid championship team.

Really we seem content not to be a contender? Dude that is why you can't go Christmas shopping during FA everything is marked up. Grigs had a plan to improve where he thought we could he executed it. He will draft to improve some more. Did you ever think he has the foresight that hey I might want to be able to pay Luck Allen and Hilton when time comes?

Your the guy that wanted Ware Mack Alib Shields everyone on the market spend everything we have. etc right an all pro bowl team... this is not Madden. They rented Revis for one year for a lot of money. Good luck with that. That dude wants to renegotiate his contract  at half time of every game. Has been rotting in TB since his ACL injury I'd like to get a look at him in press again before I got really excited about a 12 million dollar prima donna. Prediction TY eats his lunch  

When the Patriots get Revis for 12 million and the Colts are left with Davis for 10 million that's pretty awful when you consider how much better Revis is. The Colts seem to be perfectly content to not be a championship contender which is pretty sad considering in the next couple years the rookie contracts of Luck, Hilton and Allen will expire and the team is not going to have the cap space to make a solid championship team.

Revis got a 2 year $32M deal.

It's essentially a 1 year 12 Mil dollar contract. The second year is a mutual option for $20 Mil. No way the Patriots pick that up.

Exactly. He is basically a 1 year rental and we signed Davis long term. Revis also has his entire 1st year salary guaranteed ($12M). When Revis gets his next long term deal, it's going to be worth significantly more than $12M.

Really we seem content not to be a contender? Dude that is why you can't go Christmas shopping during FA everything is marked up. Grigs had a plan to improve where he thought we could he executed it. He will draft to improve some more. Did you ever think he has the foresight that hey I might want to be able to pay Luck Allen and Hilton when time comes?

Your the guy that wanted Ware Mack Alib Shields everyone on the market spend everything we have. etc right an all pro bowl team... this is not Madden. They rented Revis for one year for a lot of money. Good luck with that. That dude wants to renegotiate his contract  at half time of every game. Has been rotting in TB since his ACL injury I'd like to get a look at him in press again before I got really excited about a 12 million dollar prima donna. Prediction TY eats his lunch  

And Byrd...