Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Grigson Interview from NFL Owners Meeting....

NewColtsFan

Rebuilding is a bad word. I get why they wanted to shy away from it. But it doesn't change the reality of the situation, that Grigson overturned two thirds of the roster in his first year, and many of the new players were low level transition guys -- Zbikowski, Justice, Avery, etc. -- that needed to be upgraded. Swing and a miss on DHB being an upgrade over Avery, but Landry and Cherilus fit the bill. There are other examples as well, and some of them are still on the way or being developed, especially on the offensive line.

The one move they made that felt premature and over the top was the Richardson trade. Mostly everyone feels the same way on that one. I'm sure Grigson's public comments aren't a reflection of his true feelings. That move is costing us the chance to draft someone like Calvin Pryor or Dee Ford. It's not the end of the world, but it stings.

As for recognizing that we have holes, only those lacking perspective didn't realize that. I think that, if we're being honest, everyone knew that we were overmatched against the Ravens in 2012, and everyone knew that it would be a tall order to beat New England on the road. We've still got some work to do before we can be a legit title contender, and the Pats and Broncos certainly aren't just going to fade into the night.

Last thing, I guess we have to put Grigson's comments into context. I just wish he'd have expressed himself in a more definitive way, so that I don't have to read between the lines. Like you said, I don't see how you can like Costa, but not like EDS. I'm pretty sure the point is that they want to give Holmes a chance, not that they don't like the other guys (and BdlP, Goodwin and Montgomery are still available, and might continue to be past the draft). I think I get his approach, but I kind of cringe when he talks out of both sides of his mouth like that.

I don't feel that the Richardson trade was bad given the circumstances. Now if Bradshaw & Ballard were healthy & Grigson went to make that trade then yeah I'd be calling for his head.

But no way do we win 11 games with Donald Brown as our #1 back. People can downtalk Richardson all they want but he changed the way defenses played us. I highly doubt a defense would stack the box with Donald Brown in the backfield (unless it's the Titans cause he always torches them). Had we have gone with just Donald and added Tashard Choice and Chris Rainey like we did I believe this forum would've complained about that too. There's no way we're winning games with that backfield.

Richardson trade wasn't a bad one. Just had a bad performance but that'll all change this season imo

Bradshaw wasn't hurt when the trade was made.

You honestly think that we couldn't have gotten more or better performance from a free agent or even trading a later round pick for someone's backup ?

2.8 ypc did not contribute to any victories.

It was a bad trade, no other way to look at it.

Bradshaw wasn't hurt when the trade was made.

You honestly think that we couldn't have gotten more or better performance from a free agent or even trading a later round pick for someone's backup ?

Couple good runs from Donald Brown & the forum gets blinded. Donald was stuffed numerous times just like Richardson was so don't act like Richardson was the only RB getting stuffed. Only difference was Trent wore defenses down due to how hard he runs. Richardson fit what Pep & Pagano want- power running

You all can bash it all you want but don't sit here and act like Donald is the 2nd coming of Barry Sanders. He's a 1st round pick too and was a bust most of his career thus far. One good year & all of a sudden Donald is greatness to this forum. Donald is NOTHING more than a back-up. Back-up to Addai, & was a back-up to Ballard who was a 5th rounder I believe last season & a rookie.

So like I said, bash Richardson all you want but don't praise a guy who had one good year out of a 4+ year career

Brown has zero to do with it. I didn't notice anyone proclaiming Brown to be awesome or worthy of a first round pick.

Just because someone believes Richardson was a bad trade doesn't mean they consider Brown to be awesome. It would be nice for you if they did so you could actually use the argument you tried to present in your post, but since nobody did it makes your post seem rather silly.

Brown played a bigger part in the offense then Trent last season, that's a fact. Admitting an obvious fact such as that doesn't mean someone thinks Brown is great, its just acknowledging a fact. Even a diehard Trent supporter would have to admit Brown had a bigger impact then Trent last season. Doesn't mean Browns a hall of famer or earned his first round status, just means exactly what it was, in 2013 Brown had a better season then Richardson. That's all.

I don't intend to get into this with you again. I will simply leave it at this:

It depends entirely on whether you imagine any other RB would have fared any better under the circumstances (OLine, play calling, mid season team change, etc... stuff you prefer to call "excuses").

Everyone here already knows you think YES. And they know I think NO.

Now let's not have this thread degrade into another TR battlefront. Can we agree on that?

Topic was brought up. I didn't go into detail about why I thought Richardson stunk or anything else. Just gave an opinion on the trade itself.

If you don't like what I have to say there is probably an ignore feature somewhere, but I didn't go off on a rant and kept the thread moving in the direction it was moving.

So really I don't care what you have to say, your opinion here is no more valuable then anyone else's and since you don't own the forum .... I will post anything I want. When I break a rule you can go tell on me, maybe get a gold sticker for doing so, but until then stop complaining because it is derailing the thread off topic more then my posts.

I don't intend to get into this with you again. I will simply leave it at this:

It depends entirely on whether you imagine any other RB would have fared any better under the circumstances (OLine, play calling, mid season team change, etc... stuff you prefer to call "excuses").

Everyone here already knows you think YES. And they know I think NO.

Now let's not have this thread degrade into another TR battlefront. Can we agree on that?

It doesn't matter how bad another RB would have done if they hadn't cost a 1st round pick. If we would have picked Willis McGahee up off FA and he had the same numbers, no one would have cared. Come one now, even Superman admitted it was a bad pick that was premature. Stop glancing over how he cost a high first round pick and that Bradshaw was not injured when we traded for him. Also considering it was a contract year for Brown, we should have just let him play out the rest of the season as the starter and give him a chance to earn his money (although he didn't).

But back on topic, Supes made a very good post. I feel the same way about Grigson's comments. I just wish he would've said something like "We want to get young at the center position, so we're going to let Holmes compete for it". But that comment about him wanting players that can play at a championship level and not just guys who are average or solid still gets me. The way he phrased it almost seemed like he was saying he doesn't think the guys he's brought in are doing enough, which is the opposite of what he usually says. Like he said, Grigson can talk out of both sides of his mouth at times.

He better hope someone steps up and plays center otherwise it will reflect badly on him for not trying to bring someone in.

:facepalm: "Not trying to bring someone in"

So...... we didn't sign Costa? We didn't pursue Alex Mack?

Must be watching the wrong team

I don't think he did.  He said that Jones had bulked up and is at around 330 lbs now so he could play any position on the DL but he didn't specifically say that Jones would play at NT.  He said that the Colts needed better play from the NoseGuard position, which is true.  I thought Franklin was underwhelming but that Chapman played well and showed progress considering last year was basically his rookie year.

Grigson did say that "Chappy" has all the tools to be a great NT.

"Chappy:.....that's awesome. Reminds me of Iron Eagle!  

Chappy+and+Doug.jpg

:facepalm: "Not trying to bring someone in"

So...... we didn't sign Costa? We didn't pursue Alex Mack?

Must be watching the wrong team

Costa is a backup level player from what I gather and I ain't sure how much we pursued Mack.

Besides it doesn't matter who you pursue, if he isn't on the team then you haven't improved.

Luck could use some stability at center like Peyton had with Saturday. Costa is long in the tooth and possibly not good enough to start.

We shall see though.

Come one now, even Superman admitted it was a bad pick that was premature. Stop glancing over how he cost a high first round pick...

In the TR thread, I've said largely the same thing Superman is saying.  I didn't like the trade, I don't like spending a first rounder on a running back (EVER), and TR hasn't performed well as a Colt.  I have not once "glanced over his cost".

Where I part ways is simply that the cost bothered me at the time of the trade, but I'm over it for a number of reasons... most notably because it seems like crying over spilled milk.  Grigson has been doing a ton of things right, and already has this team heading in a direction fans had no reason to expect just 2 years ago. 

A couple missteps are going to happen.  To succeed, Grigs has to take a few risks along the way.  I'm fine with the costs of him taking those risks, even where I might have done specific things (most notably: TR, Satele, Freeney, drafting Fleener over Glenn, etc.) differently.  I am happy with the overall results so far.

Costa is a backup level player from what I gather and I ain't sure how much we pursued Mack.

Besides it doesn't matter who you pursue, if he isn't on the team then you haven't improved.

Luck could use some stability at center like Peyton had with Saturday. Costa is long in the tooth and possibly not good enough to start.

We shall see though.

26 is long in the tooth?  Even by NFL player career standards, that seems kinda premature.

I don't feel that the Richardson trade was bad given the circumstances. Now if Bradshaw & Ballard were healthy & Grigson went to make that trade then yeah I'd be calling for his head.

But no way do we win 11 games with Donald Brown as our #1 back. People can downtalk Richardson all they want but he changed the way defenses played us. I highly doubt a defense would stack the box with Donald Brown in the backfield (unless it's the Titans cause he always torches them). Had we have gone with just Donald and added Tashard Choice and Chris Rainey like we did I believe this forum would've complained about that too. There's no way we're winning games with that backfield.

Richardson trade wasn't a bad one. Just had a bad performance but that'll all change this season imo

How?

I don't think you trade a first rounder for a RB, as if that one player is going to take your team to the next level. Especially when your roster has other question marks, like pass rusher, ILB, etc. 

We could have added a back in a number of ways. We might have been able to get a less buzz-worthy back for a lesser pick. Backs aren't hard to find. The trade looks terrible in hindsight, since Richardson didn't produce, but I always thought the price was too high for a running back. Even if Richardson leads the league in rushing this year, I don't think it's worth a first rounder. The top two rushers last year were second rounders, the #3 rusher was a third rounder, and the #4 rusher was a sixth rounder.

Let's not take turn this into another Richardson thread. But the trade wasn't a good one, especially given the state of our roster at the time.

We shall see though.

Costa is not long in the tooth.

Yeah. I thought he was older then he is. Still don't think he is the answer though

I don't think anyone does, including Grigson. It's a depth move, and Costa is a reasonable depth player. I think the move was just not what we were hoping for, with better players available. But they obviously want to go with the guy they drafted, which makes sense. It's just concerning to us fans, because we know Holmes as the guy who couldn't crack the lineup, and now he's essentially being given the keys. I hope he's able to play well.

In the TR thread, I've said largely the same thing Superman is saying.  I didn't like the trade, I don't like spending a first rounder on a running back (EVER), and TR hasn't performed well as a Colt.  I have not once "glanced over his cost".

Where I part ways is simply that the cost bothered me at the time of the trade, but I'm over it for a number of reasons... most notably because it seems like crying over spilled milk.  Grigson has been doing a ton of things right, and already has this team heading in a direction fans had no reason to expect just 2 years ago. 

A couple missteps are going to happen.  To succeed, Grigs has to take a few risks along the way.  I'm fine with the costs of him taking those risks, even where I might have done specific things (most notably: TR, Satele, Freeney, drafting Fleener over Glenn, etc.) differently.  I am happy with the overall results so far.

In fairness, it's crying over a whole heck of a lot of spilled milk, and the milk spill all over a week's worth of homework. So not only do you have to clean up the milk, you also have to redo the homework. You'd grumble about that for a long time. At least I would.

I think people are going to complain about the Richardson trade at least until the draft. We're supposed to be getting excited, but that excitement is tempered somewhat because we don't have a first rounder. Even worse, the player we got for our first rounder was, at best, underwhelming.

But I obviously agree with you overall on Grigson. I think he's done a fine job. But he does have a couple of notable blemishes on his record. Of course, every GM does. Again, there's a need for perspective.

I wonder if Grigson was calling the Browns about Mack or someone else when he was offered Richardson. I can't see the Browns initiating the trade without all kinds of red flags popping up and I can't see Grigson calling them and asking if they wanted to trade a guy who supposedly was their best offensive player. Not to mention they gave up more for him a season earlier then Grigson gave them in return.

There had to be something else Grigson was trying to do when they offered up Trent, I wonder what his original plan was.

I wonder if Grigson was calling the Browns about Mack or someone else when he was offered Richardson. I can't see the Browns initiating the trade without all kinds of red flags popping up and I can't see Grigson calling them and asking if they wanted to trade a guy who supposedly was their best offensive player. Not to mention they gave up more for him a season earlier then Grigson gave them in return.

There had to be something else Grigson was trying to do when they offered up Trent, I wonder what his original plan was.

You have massive OCD issues