Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Grigson Interview from NFL Owners Meeting....

NewColtsFan

So....

From the video section of Colts.com is a really good taped interview with Ryan Grigson.    I encourage everyone -- the Grigson haters and supporters -- to watch the tape.

One of the first things I liked is that he's sitting down.   (What?!?)   When I was doing interviews with people I always preferred whenever possible to have my guest sitting down.  They're more relaxed and the potential is greater for them to open up and not be so formal and stiff as Grigson can be when he's doing a long press meeting at a podium.    When you're standing for 15-30 minutes, the answers can sometimes dry up...

This tape runs 8:30....  he talks about individual players...  he talks about the roster, the depth chart,  free agency...  how he does business...   I think it's a very good tape to help you get inside the head of Grigson.

My favorite revelation....   Lance Louis.  (Who?!?)   Lance Louis.   He's a guard that Grigson claimed from the Bears this off-season.    I remember the reaction to the signing was that he was a nobody, a camp body...  nothing special.    Grigson said two years ago when they were looking at tape to prepare for our season opener against Chicago,  Louis was the best OL on their line.   He thought the guy had the makings of a star.   Then, he got a knee blown out.   The Bears cut him and Grigs put in a claim.   Grigs loves the guy and says he's healthy.    He didn't predict greatness or that he'll start,  but he recognizes that Louis is completely off everyone's radar. 

If you can find 10 minutes...  watch.    If you can find 20 minutes,  watch it twice...  I think you'll find it as interesting as I did....     Enjoy!

http://www.colts.com/videos/videos/Grigson_Everyone_has_to_prepare_like_a_champion/924c26ff-a578-475a-a12a-9ca17a3ab040

you beat me to this topic,lol..but anywho I agree it gave me more confidence about how he's building the team and he has very high praise for the current way our oline looks..he even mentioned "we looked at all the interior linemen, but we didnt like any of em" (except the ones they signed obviously)..and who's to say he's wrong about the current oline, for all we know this could be a top 10 oline..just because they didnt sign who ALOT of the fans wanted doesn't mean they just cant get the job done, I'm one of the fans that actually believes the team in general will be better and more consistent! He also shows he believes that some of the young players and FA's we brung in last year  (Werner, Chap, Montori, Ricky Jean, Landry, Thorton.....) can really step it up and have a bigger impact this year. But we'll just have to see how everything goes starting with training camp!!  

Hopefully this puts all the Alex Mack threads to rest

Also means Goodwin, De LePuente, & those other centers you guys mentioned didn't appeal to Mr. Grigson which means you all can put those threads to rest to

Now, doesn't it feel sooo good to have closure on this forum? :clap: :clap:

I like that interview. I disagree with whatever assessment they came up with about the FA guards and centers, but I always have and I continue to appreciate how Grigson defends his approach. He believes in the way they're doing things. He's not stubborn about having one way only to build a roster, but he does believe that his approach is going to work, which means he's not going to be blown around in the wind without a clear direction. It also means he'll learn from his mistakes, because when you know what you're doing every step of the way, you are better able to reverse engineer your own successes and failures and figure out what went wrong.

Ultimately, he and his staff will be judged on how things go on the field. If our interior line play continues to suck, it's Grigson's fault, solely. But he sure knows how to sell his way of doing things, and does so without coming off as condescending or superior. 

I'm really looking forward to the draft now.

The problem here is such big Colts fans didn`t get how well Nixon played at guard and could start there, and that he should be a good backup or Starter at RT if needed, and maybe pretty decent at LT, and need to remember that Reitz can play Good guard, they have no idea how good Lance Louis was and how much time he has had to rehab his knee.

If DThomas is ready Thornton may be a backup to start the season which may be a good thing, but he could still become a good starter.

Holmes, if healthy, is going to be GOOD. At Center or guard.

The problem will continue to be the Castonzo pass blocking, but Allen and a better guard beside him will help cover for him.  

The subtraction of the Big 3 and their being replaced by better talent and with better backups means Only 1 thing.

The same is true for the D-Line. We are Deep before the draft on both lines.
 Grigson and Pagano were loyal to their vets much to our dismay, but that was then.

The problem here is such big Colts fans didn`t get how well Nixon played at guard and could start there, and that he should be a good backup or Starter at RT if needed, and maybe pretty decent at LT, and need to remember that Reitz can play Good guard, they have no idea how good Lance Louis was and how much time he has had to rehab his knee.

If DThomas is ready Thornton may be a backup to start the season which may be a good thing, but he could still become a good starter.

The problem will continue to be the Castonzo pass blocking, but Allen and a better guard beside him will help cover for him.

The subtraction of the Big 3 and their being replaced by better talent and with better backups means Only 1 thing.

Grigson and Pagano were loyal to their vets much to our dismay, but that was then.

Sooo Castonzo didn't strap Hali when we played the Chiefs? Don't understand the constant down talking of Anthony when he was solid this year. Him & Cherilus were the only two after Thomas's injury who seemed to want to protect Andrew

Sooo Castonzo didn't strap Hali when we played the Chiefs? Don't understand the constant down talking of Anthony when he was solid this year. Him & Cherilus were the only two after Thomas's injury who seemed to want to protect Andrew

True! Also, yesterday i re-watched the san fran game, and castonzo completely shut down aldon smith..

I think this forum agrees, while anzhony might not be a top left tackle, he's definitely not a weak link..

True! Also, yesterday i re-watched the san fran game, and castonzo completely shut down aldon smith..

I think this forum agrees, while anzhony might not be a top left tackle, he's definitely not a weak link..

I think Castonzo will be a top half of the league LT as time goes on.

I think Castonzo will be a top half of the league LT as time goes on.

IIRC PFF graded him out pretty high this season but mostly down to his run blocking, PFF not being the be all and end all of course but I do see him as within the top 16 LTs. The most maddening thing for me is he is inconsistent but then as far as I can remember he's not had a decent LG to play alongside since he got here so if we had a more solid interior I'd wager he'd improve. 

Castonzo constantly shuts down credible pass rushers. Hali in the playoffs. And it was so bad in the New England game that they moved Chandler Jones to the other side. He also handled the pressure from Denver's line pretty good, although I believe it was Cherilus who shut down Von Miller.

I thin Castonzo is the most under appreciated player on our roster.

The problem here is such big Colts fans didn`t get how well Nixon played at guard and could start there, and that he should be a good backup or Starter at RT if needed, and maybe pretty decent at LT, and need to remember that Reitz can play Good guard, they have no idea how good Lance Louis was and how much time he has had to rehab his knee.

The problem will continue to be the Castonzo pass blocking, but Allen and a better guard beside him will help cover for him.

The subtraction of the Big 3 and their being replaced by better talent and with better backups means Only 1 thing.

Thornton is our starting right guard. His struggles were a result of being thrown into a new position (LG) with little notice as a result of Thomas' injury. Thornton is going to be a stud right guard, where he thrived at Illinois. He blew some inside stunts, which is common for a rookie; however, his overall play was admirable at a new position for a rookie. He is our right guard of the future. Nixon will be a great backup/ depth for the O line rotation.

Thornton is our starting right guard. His struggles were a result of being thrown into a new position (LG) with little notice as a result of Thomas' injury. Thornton is going to be a stud right guard, where he thrived at Illinois. He blew some inside stunts, which is common for a rookie; however, his overall play was admirable at a new position for a rookie. He is our right guard of the future. Nixon will be a great backup/ depth for the O line rotation.

Thornton actually played 18 games at LG in college

Thornton actually played 18 games at LG in college

You are correct. My mistake. He also played quite a bit at tackle as well. Thanks for the correction. With that being said, I think he can develop into a Vasquez type mauler on the interior. I love Thomas' potential, and he's clearly our LG if healthy. I just think Thornton has serious potential and want him to keep developing. I would like to see him starting at RG. I think having Nixon as depth for us could be great!

You are correct. My mistake. He also played quite a bit at tackle as well. Thanks for the correction. With that being said, I think he can develop into a Vasquez type mauler on the interior. I love Thomas' potential, and he's clearly our LG if healthy. I just think Thornton has serious potential and want him to keep developing. I would like to see him starting at RG. I think having Nixon as depth for us could be great!

I agree, i actually wouldn't start to worry about Thornton until the end of year three because by then he will have 1 year left on his rookie contract and the Colts will have 1 more year to decide on whether he is worth bringing back as the starter or not(at that time), As it is now he has 3 years to improve, I think the raw physical skills are there but he is still learning the mental aspect. Thomas is a  worry coming off of season ending Torn Quad and Bicep

Castonzo constantly shuts down credible pass rushers. Hali in the playoffs. And it was so bad in the New England game that they moved Chandler Jones to the other side. He also handled the pressure from Denver's line pretty good, although I believe it was Cherilus who shut down Von Miller.

I thin Castonzo is the most under appreciated player on our roster.

For every good game he has, he has a bad one, particularly against pass rushers. He got pretty well destroyed against the Raiders and the Rams. I'm a fan of his, but he's an inconsistent pass rusher. I think he'll get better, but he's not the kind of lockdown LT that you want him to be if you're going to give him a big second contract. 

For every good game he has, he has a bad one, particularly against pass rushers. He got pretty well destroyed against the Raiders and the Rams. I'm a fan of his, but he's an inconsistent pass rusher. I think he'll get better, but he's not the kind of lockdown LT that you want him to be if you're going to give him a big second contract. 

True enough. He seems to get better with each season though. I remember the 2012 season and he was struggling against the Titans rushers and it's not like they have a JJ Watt or anything on their D-Line. He can still get better though. Could be wrong but I would say he's better with speed rushers than he is with power guys.

I agree, i actually wouldn't start to worry about Thornton until the end of year three because by then he will have 1 year left on his rookie contract and the Colts will have 1 more year to decide on whether he is worth bringing back as the starter or not(at that time), As it is now he has 3 years to improve, I think the raw physical skills are there but he is still learning the mental aspect. Thomas is a worry coming off of season ending Torn Quad and Bicep

I couldn't agree more. At this point in time, Thomas getting healthy is our biggest concern and top priority. A torn quad is quite serious, especially for an O lineman that depends on that powerful burst off the snap in the trenches! I know his recovery is going slowly, but let's just hope he keeps progressing. He will be a critical factor in our line's improvement.

Interesting and encouraging about Louis. I don't have a lot of confidence in Thomas, especially at the start of the season. And Reitz will get hurt taking a nap.

I think the interior line will be improved, but I'm not sure it will be good.

So....

From the video section of Colts.com is a really good taped interview with Ryan Grigson.    I encourage everyone -- the Grigson haters and supporters -- to watch the tape.

One of the first things I liked is that he's sitting down.   (What?!?)   When I was doing interviews with people I always preferred whenever possible to have my guest sitting down.  They're more relaxed and the potential is greater for them to open up and not be so formal and stiff as Grigson can be when he's doing a long press meeting at a podium.    When you're standing for 15-30 minutes, the answers can sometimes dry up...

This tape runs 8:30....  he talks about individual players...  he talks about the roster, the depth chart,  free agency...  how he does business...   I think it's a very good tape to help you get inside the head of Grigson.

My favorite revelation....   Lance Louis.  (Who?!?)   Lance Louis.   He's a guard that Grigson claimed from the Bears this off-season.    I remember the reaction to the signing was that he was a nobody, a camp body...  nothing special.    Grigson said two years ago when they were looking at tape to prepare for our season opener against Chicago,  Louis was the best OL on their line.   He thought the guy had the makings of a star.   Then, he got a knee blown out.   The Bears cut him and Grigs put in a claim.   Grigs loves the guy and says he's healthy.    He didn't predict greatness or that he'll start,  but he recognizes that Louis is completely off everyone's radar. 

If you can find 10 minutes...  watch.    If you can find 20 minutes,  watch it twice...  I think you'll find it as interesting as I did....     Enjoy!

http://www.colts.com/videos/videos/Grigson_Everyone_has_to_prepare_like_a_champion/924c26ff-a578-475a-a12a-9ca17a3ab040

I agree completely NCF. I'm no journalist, but people do tend to relax & disclose more when they sit down. Nothing earth shattering there, but it works. Maybe it's like chilling in the living room with a close friend. A good observation there. 

Castonzo is going to be a pass rusher? :O  Well people have been talking about getting help with the pass rush.  Maybe AC lines up next to Jones at DT in Nickel fronts?

ps. I, as well as everyone else, know you meant pass blocker, not pass rusher.  It's just that you so rarely make typo mistakes like that that I had to bust your chops just a little. :D

Castonzo is going to be a pass rusher? :O  Well people have been talking about getting help with the pass rush.  Maybe AC lines up next to Jones at DT in Nickel fronts?

ps. I, as well as everyone else, know you meant pass blocker, not pass rusher.  It's just that you so rarely make typo mistakes like that that I had to bust your chops just a little. :D

Yeah I noticed that only after someone else quoted it, so I let it stand. Can't even blame it on the alcohol...

I agree with the sentiment that Louis may be somewhat of an X-factor on the O-line and I'm also looking forward to seeing how he does. But to the bolded in the quote above, he actually got picked up by the Dolphins after the Bears let him go and was subsequently released because he didn't seem to be coming around from the knee injury as well as expected:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp13/story/_/id/9606353/miami-dolphins-terminate-contract-lance-louis

"The Miami Dolphins made a somewhat surprising cut Tuesday when they terminated the contract of former Chicago Bears starting guard Lance Louis.

Louis had three years of starting experience, but he didn't look 100 percent during the preseason in his recovery from ACL surgery.

After waiting months for Louis to turn the corner, the Dolphins decided it was time to move on despite not having depth on the offensive line."

Hopefully the extra time off has resulted in a 100% recovery for him and he can make the best of his opportunity in Indy.

I agree with the sentiment that Louis may be somewhat of an X-factor on the O-line and I'm also looking forward to seeing how he does. But to the bolded in the quote above, he actually got picked up by the Dolphins after the Bears let him go and was subsequently released because he didn't seem to be coming around from the knee injury as well as expected:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp13/story/_/id/9606353/miami-dolphins-terminate-contract-lance-louis

"The Miami Dolphins made a somewhat surprising cut Tuesday when they terminated the contract of former Chicago Bears starting guard Lance Louis.

Louis had three years of starting experience, but he didn't look 100 percent during the preseason in his recovery from ACL surgery.

After waiting months for Louis to turn the corner, the Dolphins decided it was time to move on despite not having depth on the offensive line."

Hopefully the extra time off has resulted in a 100% recovery for him and he can make the best of his opportunity in Indy.

Yes....   thanks,  I appreciate the correction.    You're right.   

Miami had put in the claim.   And now we've grabbed him from Miami.

Thanks again....  :thmup:

did Grigson hint at Jones playing NT at the 3:00 minute mark? I didnt think that was the idea but did he hint that or did he just talked about the NT position just after he was asked about jackson and jones as a coincidence

I don't think he did.  He said that Jones had bulked up and is at around 330 lbs now so he could play any position on the DL but he didn't specifically say that Jones would play at NT.  He said that the Colts needed better play from the NoseGuard position, which is true.  I thought Franklin was underwhelming but that Chapman played well and showed progress considering last year was basically his rookie year.

Grigson did say that "Chappy" has all the tools to be a great NT.

Wish he would've said more about Montori Hughes and what his role will be going forward. What position is he even going to see snaps at? Only part that really made me wary was when he said something to the effect of "You know we're not just looking for guys to adequate  or solid. Everyone has to play at a championship level". Average and solid couldn't better describe the current team though. The lack of pro bowl players shows that. I suppose championship teams aren't built over-night though.

I got me excited for the draft though, because he made it seem like he isn't going to be conservative, and he's really going to draft guys he thinks can be real play makers.

never heard of Lance Louis but after hearing Grigson talk about him I think he has shot at beating out our other Guard's but that is based solely on what Grigson said

I think he has a good shot at beating out Thornton at RG depending on how Thornton has progressed, Im watching games from the 2012 season where Louis started for the Bears at RG

I think he has a good shot at beating out Thornton at RG depending on how Thornton has progressed, Im watching games from the 2012 season where Louis started for the Bears at RG

If it will help, and I don't know if you have access to them, but Grigson says he was looking at tape of what must've been the 2011 season Bears games.

He was looking at them prior to our 2012 season opener vs. Chicago, so I'm guessing 2011.   Seems logical....

If it will help, and I don't know if you have access to them, but Grigson says he was looking at tape of what must've been the 2011 season Bears games.

He was looking at them prior to our 2012 season opener vs. Chicago, so I'm guessing 2011.   Seems logical....

Yeah Im gonna go over them to, I read in the 2011 season Louis gave up 10 sacks......7 in 1 game alone vs KC.....But that was at RT.......Just watched it....He looked ugly out at RT

Wish he would've said more about Montori Hughes and what his role will be going forward. What position is he even going to see snaps at? Only part that really made me wary was when he said something to the effect of "You know we're not just looking for guys to adequate  or solid. Everyone has to play at a championship level". Average and solid couldn't better describe the current team though. The lack of pro bowl players shows that. I suppose championship teams aren't built over-night though.

I got me excited for the draft though, because he made it seem like he isn't going to be conservative, and he's really going to draft guys he thinks can be real play makers.

Just some perspective:

Two years ago, when this team was made over from top to bottom, most people didn't expect us to be in the playoffs until the 2014 season. Against some pretty steep odds, we got in in 2012, and then we notched some quality wins in 2013 against a tougher schedule, including a playoff win. We're at least a year ahead of schedule, maybe two years.

In some cases, that winning has made people forget the natural evolution of a rebuild. This team is still building its foundation. In 2012, we had a ton of holes. Not all of them were plugged in 2013; you can't plug every hole on a team in one year, not without taking some serious risks (like the Richardson trade). Grigson is still working on this roster, and there are still some improvements to make. But we weren't your ordinary 11 win team the last two years. We defied the logic, and continue to do so. 

I'd like to see Grigson not be so "hipster" with his acquisitions; sometimes it seems like he goes against group-think even when the group is right. There's no question there were and still are some really good centers on the market right now, so for him to say he didn't like any of them is hard to believe. I'd prefer to hear him say that he wants to give the young guys a chance and protect his cap situation, rather than downplay the talent that was available. Go ahead with the under the radar moves, but don't deny the other possibilities that are out there. 

Wish he would've said more about Montori Hughes and what his role will be going forward. What position is he even going to see snaps at? Only part that really made me wary was when he said something to the effect of "You know we're not just looking for guys to adequate or solid. Everyone has to play at a championship level". Average and solid couldn't better describe the current team though. The lack of pro bowl players shows that. I suppose championship teams aren't built over-night though.

"Lack of Pro Bowl players"

Seriously?! You determine the skill of our players based on if they get voted to that disgraceful joke the Pro Bowl?

Seriously?! :Gaah:

That's it, I'm doing it...... I'm doing it

*Reports you as Spam*

Just some perspective:

Two years ago, when this team was made over from top to bottom, most people didn't expect us to be in the playoffs until the 2014 season. Against some pretty steep odds, we got in in 2012, and then we notched some quality wins in 2013 against a tougher schedule, including a playoff win. We're at least a year ahead of schedule, maybe two years.

In some cases, that winning has made people forget the natural evolution of a rebuild. This team is still building its foundation. In 2012, we had a ton of holes. Not all of them were plugged in 2013; you can't plug every hole on a team in one year, not without taking some serious risks (like the Richardson trade). Grigson is still working on this roster, and there are still some improvements to make. But we weren't your ordinary 11 win team the last two years. We defied the logic, and continue to do so. 

I'd like to see Grigson not be so "hipster" with his acquisitions; sometimes it seems like he goes against group-think even when the group is right. There's no question there were and still are some really good centers on the market right now, so for him to say he didn't like any of them is hard to believe. I'd prefer to hear him say that he wants to give the young guys a chance and protect his cap situation, rather than downplay the talent that was available. Go ahead with the under the radar moves, but don't deny the other possibilities that are out there. 

I actually agree with most of what you said.  I didn't get how he said they looked at all the Centers and didn't like anyone, but they liked a guy who was a backup on the Cowboys who drafted a Center in the 1st round last year. That's pretty much my thing too. It's nice to find a diamond in the rough every now and then, but there are some moves that are obvious. I think the signings of D-Jack, Jones, and Nicks were the most obvious moves we made in awhile and I loved it. He needs more of that.

In terms of the rebuild though, I feel as if Irsay has been to impatient for it to really set in. I remember when Grigs and Pagano came in and all they could say was that we weren't rebuilding, but re-loading. You don't have a roster over-turn as big as we did in 2012 and not rebuild mode though. Especially when you lose your 1st ballet HoF QB who was there for 14 years. That's another vibe I get. That they're pushing so far ahead that they're jumping the gun in rebuilding instead of being careful and methodical. We got to the playoffs 2 years in a row only to realize what we already knew: the teams still has massive holes since we're rebuilding.

I'm not saying they should settle for less, but it would be nice to see the staff just embrace the rebuild. I have yet to hear them say "Yeah, we're still rebuilding this time". There's no shame  in that, especially if you're winning the way we are.

I actually agree with most of what you said.  I didn't get how he said they looked at all the Centers and didn't like anyone, but they liked a guy who was a backup on the Cowboys who drafted a Center in the 1st round last year. That's pretty much my thing too. It's nice to find a diamond in the rough every now and then, but there are some moves that are obvious. I think the signings of D-Jack, Jones, and Nicks were the most obvious moves we made in awhile and I loved it. He needs more of that.

In terms of the rebuild though, I feel as if Irsay has been to impatient for it to really set in. I remember when Grigs and Pagano came in and all they could say was that we weren't rebuilding, but re-loading. You don't have a roster over-turn as big as we did in 2012 and not rebuild mode though. Especially when you lose your 1st ballet HoF QB who was there for 14 years. That's another vibe I get. That they're pushing so far ahead that they're jumping the gun in rebuilding instead of being careful and methodical. We got to the playoffs 2 years in a row only to realize what we already knew: the teams still has massive holes since we're rebuilding.

I'm not saying they should settle for less, but it would be nice to see the staff just embrace the rebuild. I have yet to hear them say "Yeah, we're still rebuilding this time". There's no shame  in that, especially if you're winning the way we are.

Rebuild, retool whatever you wanna call it is just window dressing to me. Everyone who follows INDY knew we were more or less starting over excluding Reggie Wayne & Dwight Freeney at the time anyway. I don't see Grigs jumping the gun at all personally. He is smart in the way he massages the cap & picks up players from the CFL & veterans from other squads with something to prove. Grigs & Pagano just wants the fan base to know that our franchise can still be competitive, win games, & make positive strides forward even as the Colts retool, rebuild, & reconfigure themselves. 

Where you may feel apprehensive Defjamz26; SW1 likes the Championship road we are on & I feel cool with it. JMO. Besides, I like a GM, HC, & owner that pushes for constant improvement & never becomes complacent & lackadaisical in their quest for Lombardi perfection. 

Hopefully this puts all the Alex Mack threads to rest

Also means Goodwin, De LePuente, & those other centers you guys mentioned didn't appeal to Mr. Grigson which means you all can put those threads to rest to

Now, doesn't it feel sooo good to have closure on this forum? :clap: :clap:

My sentiments as well.

Rebuilding is a bad word. I get why they wanted to shy away from it. But it doesn't change the reality of the situation, that Grigson overturned two thirds of the roster in his first year, and many of the new players were low level transition guys -- Zbikowski, Justice, Avery, etc. -- that needed to be upgraded. Swing and a miss on DHB being an upgrade over Avery, but Landry and Cherilus fit the bill. There are other examples as well, and some of them are still on the way or being developed, especially on the offensive line. 

The one move they made that felt premature and over the top was the Richardson trade. Mostly everyone feels the same way on that one. I'm sure Grigson's public comments aren't a reflection of his true feelings. That move is costing us the chance to draft someone like Calvin Pryor or Dee Ford. It's not the end of the world, but it stings. 

As for recognizing that we have holes, only those lacking perspective didn't realize that. I think that, if we're being honest, everyone knew that we were overmatched against the Ravens in 2012, and everyone knew that it would be a tall order to beat New England on the road. We've still got some work to do before we can be a legit title contender, and the Pats and Broncos certainly aren't just going to fade into the night. 

Last thing, I guess we have to put Grigson's comments into context. I just wish he'd have expressed himself in a more definitive way, so that I don't have to read between the lines. Like you said, I don't see how you can like Costa, but not like EDS. I'm pretty sure the point is that they want to give Holmes a chance, not that they don't like the other guys (and BdlP, Goodwin and Montgomery are still available, and might continue to be past the draft). I think I get his approach, but I kind of cringe when he talks out of both sides of his mouth like that.

Rebuilding is a bad word. I get why they wanted to shy away from it. But it doesn't change the reality of the situation, that Grigson overturned two thirds of the roster in his first year, and many of the new players were low level transition guys -- Zbikowski, Justice, Avery, etc. -- that needed to be upgraded. Swing and a miss on DHB being an upgrade over Avery, but Landry and Cherilus fit the bill. There are other examples as well, and some of them are still on the way or being developed, especially on the offensive line. 

The one move they made that felt premature and over the top was the Richardson trade. Mostly everyone feels the same way on that one. I'm sure Grigson's public comments aren't a reflection of his true feelings. That move is costing us the chance to draft someone like Calvin Pryor or Dee Ford. It's not the end of the world, but it stings. 

As for recognizing that we have holes, only those lacking perspective didn't realize that. I think that, if we're being honest, everyone knew that we were overmatched against the Ravens in 2012, and everyone knew that it would be a tall order to beat New England on the road. We've still got some work to do before we can be a legit title contender, and the Pats and Broncos certainly aren't just going to fade into the night. 

Last thing, I guess we have to put Grigson's comments into context. I just wish he'd have expressed himself in a more definitive way, so that I don't have to read between the lines. Like you said, I don't see how you can like Costa, but not like EDS. I'm pretty sure the point is that they want to give Holmes a chance, not that they don't like the other guys (and BdlP, Goodwin and Montgomery are still available, and might continue to be past the draft). I think I get his approach, but I kind of cringe when he talks out of both sides of his mouth like that.

Heckuva post!

Really well said.   I hope many posters stop by and read it.   Then read it again!

That might smooth out some of the frayed edges around here.....  (if you know what I mean?!)