Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Clowney and Manziel - their success will be all about coaching and system, says this article

Can't that be said about almost everyone

Not exactly.

When you have a talent like Andrew Luck or Aaron Rodgers, you can probably run a few different systems because they can grasp it and make it work with their talent. I don't think Manziel is that type of talent and that is probably what the writer is inferring, IMO.

Not exactly.

When you have a talent like Andrew Luck or Aaron Rodgers, you can probably run a few different systems because they can grasp it and make it work with their talent. I don't think Manziel is that type of talent and that is probably what the writer is inferring, IMO.

You are basically both right. Princeton Tigers is right because PT was only saying that the writer really isn't saying anything ground-breaking, coaching is detrimental to any players success. Chad72, you are technically right because QB's learn new systems all the time, some every year.

Where I differ with you is I don't think the article was talking about running different systems being Clowney isn't a QB. I think he means more like (for example), Manziel would benefit more from an established coach like A Reid because he will be there awhile and won't be fired for Johnny's early struggles instead of somewhere like OAK that will go thru 2-3 coaches before they get it close to right.

But Clowney, he's a freak of nature and it really doesn't matter, but for the sake of the article i'll say a stable environment on a team already led by it DEF like HOU is only going to brighten his star sooner than later.    

To me "needs to be in the right system" just screams inferior skillset. Sounds a lot like Tim Tebow too. If you have to build your offense around a QB and cater to him, it means he really is only good in a limited capacity and will get exposed when not in his comfort zone. Case and point: RGIII. Redskins had to resort to using plays from Baylor his rookie season. Plus he had a power run game that took all the pressure off of him to have to do anything. But he is very one dimensional when you make him win with his arm, and not his arm, his legs, and Alfred Morris.

I disagree with the Clowney thing though. After watching the Football Life on Jerry Rice a few minutes ago on NFL Network, I'm convinced that you can't coach work ethic. Either you want to work hard all the time or you don't.

And now people are raving about his pro day. And it's funny because Mayock said the same thing. He needs to go to a team like Wilson and Kaepernick did. Basically saying he isn't a guy who can come out day 1 and light it up, but he needs to be baby-sat.

And now people are raving about his pro day. And it's funny because Mayock said the same thing. He needs to go to a team like Wilson and Kaepernick did. Basically saying he isn't a guy who can come out day 1 and light it up, but he needs to be baby-sat.

I said this about Cam Newton a month before his draft, and I am going to say the same about Johnny Manziel. He will be the No.1 pick in the draft. If the Texans keep their running game emphasis and keep improving their D, Manziel won't have to do too much, IMO. Just my opinion.

I said this about Cam Newton a month before his draft, and I am going to say the same about Johnny Manziel. He will be the No.1 pick in the draft. If the Texans keep their running game emphasis and keep improving their D, Manziel won't have to do too much, IMO. Just my opinion.

IDK about Houston but I think that'll happen to him. Like with RGIII. He'll come in to a team with a solid defense and running game and he'll light it up. He'll win ROTY because he's a wildcard that defenses won't know how to defend. But in year 2, the teams will have tape on him and he'll start to wither down. Plus he doesn't strike me as a guy who takes losing well, so when the losses mount he'll start to destruct.

And just wait until he gets called out for going to Hooters after winning a game, or he gets spotted racing Lambos with Bieber or something like that.

the texans would be a perfect fit for manziel. They are known for getting their QB out of the pocket and throwing on the run.

I really hope Hou drafts Manziel over Clowney. I'm not saying Manziel sucks, and the kid is no doubt a competitor. But I think he will be injured often and struggle in the NFL.

Clowney is a game changer on def. Hou would be scary good with Clowney in the mix on D.

Archived