Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts High on Khaled Holmes

Bluefire4

There was Never a moment Grigson seriously thought he would be signing Mack.

He knows the drill and you clearly have no clue.

This is pure nonsense. You have no clue what Grigson was seriously intending to do anymore than I do. I'm just going off of what was reported, not speaking on behalf of the GM

Gee, and so many here thought UDFA Rookie Shipley played fine/better than Satele. How could one Possibly think a 4th round center could be a Good starter in his 2nd year. lmao!

Shipley was better than Satele in 2012, just like Reitz (among others) were better than McGlynn at guard and McGlynn was better than Satele at center last year. What it tells me more than anything is, maybe there were factors that Grigson and staff placed more stock into than production. What they were? I have no clue

As for Holmes, he played 12 snaps last year.....12! Not saying he can't succeed but the inexperience is a cause for concern. Certainly not a slam dunk by any means

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like Holmes and believe he'll do well. However I've learned that Pagano can talk anything up and make it sound good.

A couple quotes from Pagano and he will have you believing DHB is headed towards All Pro status.

I like Holmes and believe he'll do well. However I've learned that Pagano can talk anything up and make it sound good.

A couple quotes from Pagano and he will have you believing DHB is headed towards All Pro status.

He has kinda mastered the art of 'Coach Speak' hasn't he, I personally just wish our coaches would let the players play do the talking before they talked them all up

He has kinda mastered the art of 'Coach Speak' hasn't he, I personally just wish our coaches would let the players play do the talking before they talked them all up

Yeah he's really good at it.  He talked Jerraud Powers up so good that it almost made you feel like there was no way we'd get rid of him.  I knew it was all talk because I'd seen him play enough to know we could move on with out him.  Just one example, but there are a number of other instances where Pagano really talks a guy up who is isn't as good as the words sound.

Yeah he's really good at it.  He talked Jerraud Powers up so good that it almost made you feel like there was no way we'd get rid of him.  I knew it was all talk because I'd seen him play enough to know we could move on with out him.  Just one example, but there are a number of other instances where Pagano really talks a guy up who is isn't as good as the words sound.

Protecting the player especially from fans that dont have 1 iota what they are really seeing on the field, Now thats not to say I do alot of the time but I like to think I have a pretty firm grasp on what I am seeing when I go back and watch the tape...Though I do at times have trouble deciphering certain looks, especially defensively

I love Holmes from a intelligent standpoint.

Plus it's his second year in this system.

Wish he had a little more playing time, BUT he's going to get a heavy dosage of snaps in training camp and pre-season.

I'm judging by the end of the third game of pre-season, that's when we will find out what we have in a Holmes. I'm not expecting him to be Alex Mack., but if he's at least shows enough to beat out Costa, I believe he will continue to improve to become a very good NFL player.

He needs to stay healthy.. And he needs to get much, much stronger.

Looking around the league, many teams are "letting it ride" currently at the center position.  The Packers are expecting Tretter (next pick after Holmes in 2013) to win the job and let EDS walk.  The Pats have only (2) 2nd yr. UDFA centers on the roster.  The Redskins cut Montgomery and are thus far content to convert Lichtensteiger from G (who played some college center).  The 49'ers are rolling with Kilgore and whoever they draft.  The Giants have signed J.D. Walton (for more money than you'd expect, I'll add), but stayed out of the more proven center market.  Cincinnati has a UDFA from '12 and Mike Pollack as a G/C depth player.  The Saints have made several moves despite their cap situation, but haven't lifted a finger on BDLP, with only Lelilito, in the wings.  

The Colt's decision to roll with Holmes/Costa at center is hardly unprecedented among contending teams around the league right now.  We are in good company.

Looking around the league, many teams are "letting it ride" currently at the center position. The Packers are expecting Tretter (next pick after Holmes in 2013) to win the job and let EDS walk. The Pats have only (2) 2nd yr. UDFA centers on the roster. The Redskins cut Montgomery and are thus far content to convert Lichtensteiger from G (who played some college center). The 49'ers are rolling with Kilgore and whoever they draft. The Giants have signed J.D. Walton (for more money than you'd expect, I'll add), but stayed out of the more proven center market. Cincinnati has a UDFA from '12 and Mike Pollack as a G/C depth player. The Saints have made several moves despite their cap situation, but haven't lifted a finger on BDLP, with only Lelilito, in the wings.

The Colt's decision to roll with Holmes/Costa at center is hardly unprecedented among contending teams around the league right now. We are in good company.

Very interesting observation.

So the NFL seems to have reasonably decided that RBs aren't nearly as valuable as the league once thought, and now they are starting to follow suit with centers? I confess to being more surprised and confused on this one, if your observations prove to be more than coincidence.

Looking around the league, many teams are "letting it ride" currently at the center position.  The Packers are expecting Tretter (next pick after Holmes in 2013) to win the job and let EDS walk.  The Pats have only (2) 2nd yr. UDFA centers on the roster.  The Redskins cut Montgomery and are thus far content to convert Lichtensteiger from G (who played some college center).  The 49'ers are rolling with Kilgore and whoever they draft.  The Giants have signed J.D. Walton (for more money than you'd expect, I'll add), but stayed out of the more proven center market.  Cincinnati has a UDFA from '12 and Mike Pollack as a G/C depth player.  The Saints have made several moves despite their cap situation, but haven't lifted a finger on BDLP, with only Lelilito, in the wings.  

The Colt's decision to roll with Holmes/Costa at center is hardly unprecedented among contending teams around the league right now.  We are in good company.

Great observation. However, I would say in the case of all of the teams you listed, you should take a look at the talent level of the guards surrounding their centers. All-pro names like Sitton, Lang, Zeitler, Whitworth, Grubbs, Evans, Snee, Schwartz, Mankins, Iupati and Boone, allow for those teams to gamble a bit at center, where as I feel we really can't right now. We have major question marks at all 3 interior line positions. An establised vet with quality starts to push one of those positions would've been nice 

Great observation. However, I would say in the case of all of the teams you listed, you should take a look at the talent level of the guards surrounding their centers. All-pro names like Sitton, Lang, Zeitler, Whitworth, Grubbs, Evans, Snee, Schwartz, Mankins, Iupati and Boone, allow for those teams to gamble a bit at center, where as I feel we really can't right now. We have major question marks at all 3 interior line positions. An establised vet with quality starts to push one of those positions would've been nice 

Also a good point.  There are notable differences in the established guard play.

Very interesting observation.

So the NFL seems to have reasonably decided that RBs aren't nearly as valuable as the league once thought, and now they are starting to follow suit with centers? I confess to being more surprised and confused on this one, if your observations prove to be more than coincidence.

I was listening to Ross Tucker on NFL radio the other day. As a former o'lineman, he was talking about how of the positions along the line, he found center to be the easiest to play. The line calls were the most challenging part but once you have those down, the rest was "easy" in part because you have help on ether side of you.

Maybe that gives some credence to what ztboiler's observations and what has happened in the center market this year. What is also tells me is that teams have a price tag for the position that they are not willing to exceed as the cost vs. value comparison don't align.

Accepted ;) and EDS would start ...Though Holmes has tremendous upside if he can channel it. Risk vs reward I guess, if he plays good or even great then its a huge benefit. If he blows then Im not sure even another 11-5 season and a playoff appearance will be enough for Grigson to avoid scrutiny

You have no way of knowing if EDS would be better than Holmes or not. So why make statements like this?