Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Excellent Quote from Grigson we are in good hands

antipatriot

I really like this mindset:

“When I took this job, Jim wanted me to have a dynasty-type mindset to win championships, plural. You can’t just put all of your eggs in one basket one year—and then after a year those guys are gone or are too old. Then your roster gets blown back to the Stone Age. You want to continue to infuse the team with draft picks and young players that can grow together and be great together.’’

— Indianapolis GM Ryan Grigson, talking about his team-building philosophy and referencing team owner Jim Irsay, who is now undergoing substance-abuse rehab after his arrest a week ago.

You can’t just put all of your eggs in one basket one year—and then after a year those guys are gone or are too old. Then your roster gets blown back to the Stone Age. You want to continue to infuse the team with draft picks and young players that can grow together and be great together.’’

This sounds like the opposite of what he does. I think what he was saying was that he doesn't want to be a guy who goes out and spends big bucks on some past his prime DE and top shelf WR when the rest of the team is in shambles. He does the same thing just to a lesser extent. The teams that really practice that philosophy are the Bengals, Chiefs, 49ers, and Seahawks.

“When I took this job, Jim wanted me to have a dynasty-type mindset to win championships, plural. You can’t just put all of your eggs in one basket one year—and then after a year those guys are gone or are too old. Then your roster gets blown back to the Stone Age. You want to continue to infuse the team with draft picks and young players that can grow together and be great together.’’

— Indianapolis GM Ryan Grigson, talking about his team-building philosophy and referencing team owner Jim Irsay, who is now undergoing substance-abuse rehab after his arrest a week ago.

2012 Draft - most definitely

2013 Draft - not so much

Most people do not realize that you don't have to sign huge name free agents to be great!!!

I think it was 4 seasons ago when the Eagles went crazy in free agency and everyone was calling them the dream team.... Had an bad season....

Media makes people to obsessive over big named players who want a lot of $$$$. We will see how the Broncos and Patriots do this year compared to the Colts...

2012 Draft - most definitely

2013 Draft - not so much

This is classic fan-view analysis.

2012 was a great draft, but it's skewed by 2 elements.  Those guys throw, catch and run with the balll, and they came into a roster set up for them to play day 1.  They played well and we are right to call it a success.  

2013 players chase the ball and block for the ball - and there was no place for them to play day 1 on a revamped roster.  2 of those guys will start on the O-line in 2014, 1 will play a prominent pass rushing role, and yet another will get snaps on the D-line rotation.  It was a great draft for where we were and where we are headed.

You won't impress fans by drafting players at positions that take time to develop in roles that fans really don't understand how to measure the impact of.  I'm very grateful that Grigson doesn't draft with the goal to impress us, and so will we all be when 2 of those guys are solid starters on an improved O-line in 2014.

Most people do not realize that you don't have to sign huge name free agents to be great!!!

I think it was 4 seasons ago when the Eagles went crazy in free agency and everyone was calling them the dream team.... Had an bad season....

Media makes people to obsessive over big named players who want a lot of $$$$. We will see how the Broncos and Patriots do this year compared to the Colts...

and guess who was with the eagles at that time ;) wink-wink

Great quote, but I wish I had heard it in September of 2013, the day after he turned down the Richardson trade. 

Also, if you're a dynastically-minded organization, you can't be as rigid in your philosophy as you were in 2013 - run the ball, stop the run, hammer a square peg into a round hole.  The Patriots are the antithesis of this.  Walsh and the 49ers were the antithesis of this.  The Steelers of the 70's were the antithesis of this.  Once the 5 yard rule came into being and the Steelers acquired some weapons, they became more of a passing team in the late 70's.  These teams, over a long period of time, did whatever it took to win, that week, based on the current makeup of their team. 

Also, if you're a dynastically-minded organization, you can't be as rigid in your philosophy as you were in 2013 - run the ball, stop the run, hammer a square peg into a round hole. The Patriots are the antithesis of this. Walsh and the 49ers were the antithesis of this. The Steelers of the 70's were the antithesis of this. Once the 5 yard rule came into being and the Steelers acquired some weapons, they became more of a passing team in the late 70's. These teams, over a long period of time, did whatever it took to win, that week, based on the current makeup of their team.

Well said

2012 was a great draft, but it's skewed by 2 elements.  Those guys throw, catch and run with the balll, and they came into a roster set up for them to play day 1.  They played well and we are right to call it a success.  

2013 players chase the ball and block for the ball - and there was no place for them to play day 1 on a revamped roster.  2 of those guys will start on the O-line in 2014, 1 will play a prominent pass rushing role, and yet another will get snaps on the D-line rotation.  It was a great draft for where we were and where we are headed.

You won't impress fans by drafting players at positions that take time to develop in roles that fans really don't understand how to measure the impact of.  I'm very grateful that Grigson doesn't draft with the goal to impress us, and so will we all be when 2 of those guys are solid starters on an improved O-line in 2014.

No....its pretty much based on the fact that the Colts drafted 7 players in 2013:  3 of them didn't make the team, 1 is an injured, unknown center, 1 is an OG who played and graded out very poorly, 1 is a passrusher who has promise, 1 is a DL who, even though was perfectly healthy being active for 15/16 games and our defense sucking balls, couldn't play his way onto the field.  So there's 1 keeper from this draft, Werner, or possibly 2, as Holmes hasn't had a shot yet to prove he can play at this level.

No....its pretty much based on the fact that the Colts drafted 7 players in 2013:  3 of them didn't make the team, 1 is an injured, unknown center, 1 is an OG who played and graded out very poorly, 1 is a passrusher who has promise, 1 is a DL who, even though was perfectly healthy being active for 15/16 games and our defense sucking balls, couldn't play his way onto the field.  So there's 1 keeper from this draft, Werner, or possibly 2, as Holmes hasn't had a shot yet to prove he can play at this level.

You can call Holmes unknown, fair enough, but you can also call him your starting center.  Thornton may have had his rough spots as a rookie, but if his growth over the course of the season and his production in the latter half don't excite you as being a long term answer at G, then I certainly can't help you see it.  Nobody, needs to defend a 5th rd. developmental DT pick who didn't play much in the NFL, even if it's for a few years - it's standard.  

As for 3 picks that didn't make the team, you must be kidding!  We cut both our 7th rounders, just like in 2012, and cut a 6th rounder for well known reasons (who happens to be on Denver's roster at the moment).  Let's not act like they are supportive data for criticizing the 2013 group.

It's a good draft, and those that feel otherwise are ignoring that good teams get a long term piece or two every year in the draft and that's it.  It looks like we may have gotten that much, though only time will tell.

You can call Holmes unknown, fair enough, but you can also call him your starting center. Thornton may have had his rough spots as a rookie, but if his growth over the course of the season and his production in the latter half don't excite you as being a long term answer at G, then I certainly can't help you see it. Nobody, needs to defend a 5th rd. developmental DT pick who didn't play much in the NFL, even if it's for a few years - it's standard.

As for 3 picks that didn't make the team, you must be kidding! We cut both our 7th rounders, just like in 2012, and cut a 6th rounder for well known reasons (who happens to be on Denver's roster at the moment). Let's not act like they are supportive data for criticizing the 2013 group.

It's a good draft, and those that feel otherwise are ignoring that good teams get a long term piece or two every year in the draft and that's it. It looks like we may have gotten that much, though only time will tell.

I'd add that any perception that Hughes struggled might also be due to him playing out of position most of the year (I believe he is a natural LG, but had to fill Thomas's RG spot). Now he can add versatility to his resume.

I'd add that any perception that Hughes struggled might also be due to him playing out of position most of the year (I believe he is a natural LG, but had to fill Thomas's RG spot). Now he can add versatility to his resume.

Was Thorton and swap the spots but I knew who you meant. And completely agree. It's not like he was drafted to come in and start most if the year either. I think we drafted both our o-line to come in, learn and develope. Thorton had some really good moments. And some eh. I think he wore down and was playing threw injuries as well.

Was Thorton and swap the spots but I knew who you meant. And completely agree. It's not like he was drafted to come in and start most if the year either. I think we drafted both our o-line to come in, learn and develope. Thorton had some really good moments. And some eh. I think he wore down and was playing threw injuries as well.

Cranial infarction. Sorry.

This sounds like the opposite of what he does. I think what he was saying was that he doesn't want to be a guy who goes out and spends big bucks on some past his prime DE and top shelf WR when the rest of the team is in shambles. He does the same thing just to a lesser extent. The teams that really practice that philosophy are the Bengals, Chiefs, 49ers, and Seahawks.

So the Colts have been in 'shambles' since Grigsons arrival? I think you are watching a different Colt team that I have watched over the last two years. I think maybe you are way over blowing some of this stuff. The Bengals and the Chiefs have not advanced any father into the playoffs than the Colts. Matter of fact the Colts just beat the Chiefs in the playoffs so what's up with that?

So the Colts have been in 'shambles' since Grigsons arrival? I think you are watching a different Colt team that I have watched over the last two years. I think maybe you are way over blowing some of this stuff. The Bengals and the Chiefs have not advanced any father into the playoffs than the Colts. Matter of fact the Colts just beat the Chiefs in the playoffs so what's up with that?

The words "Bengals" & "Playoffs" go together about as good as Ike & Tina Turner do

So for someone to say the Bengals are prime examples of what grigson is talking about is invalid

100% pure bovine excrement.

Your assertions are just simply wrong on so many levels.  But here is the one I like the best - deciding after one year there is only 1 keeper from the group is comical. 

My god it must be my eyes, I see Andrew Luck running for his life on almost every play. But the Grigson/Pagano duo have said for

TWO YEARS that priority #1 is to protect Luck. Do you see it? They made interior oline moves that they said were just great but

I still don't see results, what could be the problem? Injuries? NFL players get hurt all the time but other teams manage to adjust.

So whats the problem with out interior oline?????????? TRY NO TALENT.

Sure free agents and 6th round picks like Donald Thomas make it every year and some turn out to be good, but three in a row

and what do you have? A JAIL BREAK when you try to pass block with pretend NFL players.

COME ON GRIGSON DO WHAT YOU SAID YOU WOULD AND FIX THE OLINE.

Bravo...great post! I seem to remember a one Jerry Hughes and Donald Brown that fit that description lol...who finally came into their own when given the opportunity after guys left ahead of them (Addai, and left the team Hughes). We as fans FOCUS so much on the skilled players that we fail to see that yes Thorton struggled some this year but that was a great year of growth for him getting thrown to the wolves...and that Werner had a ton to learn in a new scheme and the different responsibilities between rushing and setting an edge. My biggest issue so far is simply the Trent trade...I know we expected more from the trade but so far this is the only significant bad judgement/decision so far...RB shouldn't be that big a transition and hopefully we see it pay off this year but to me vision is something you have and he just hasn't shown it in Cleveland or here. Thats my real only gripe with Grigs so far. That said I'm hoping he has made the right calls with those guys that take more time because this year and next we are REALLY going to be counting on them and they best be ready to show up...or we will have a similar Polian issue on that OL because I do feel we can only be as good as our weakest link...and Andrew will need to a better OL to take the next step in his growth.

If I were a colts fan I would be concerned about a couple of things.

1. Wanting Laron Landry, I just do not understand teams that want these run stuffing, liability in coverage safeties in a passing league. I am biased because I lived it with TJ Ward, but it hamstrings what you can do on defense to have a safety who is so one dimensional. 

2. Obviously Trent Richardson, I mean, jesus.

3. The above two tell me, on some level he is fitting square pegs in round holes. You're a passing team, like it or not, you have no business trading for Richardson. To that point, you're a passing team, probably (likely) going to score a lot of points. Teams are going to have to pass to come from behind.....and you have a linebacker playing safety with no instincts. Again, that just doesn't seem to fit the culture. 

Now, everyone wants a true "Free Safety", I get that but man it just seems like there is a lot of talent in places where they just don't fit.

Then again, I don't analyze it nearly as much because it's not my team.

If I were a colts fan I would be concerned about a couple of things.

1. Wanting Laron Landry, I just do not understand teams that want these run stuffing, liability in coverage safeties in a passing league. I am biased because I lived it with TJ Ward, but it hamstrings what you can do on defense to have a safety who is so one dimensional. 

2. Obviously Trent Richardson, I mean, jesus.

3. The above two tell me, on some level he is fitting square pegs in round holes. You're a passing team, like it or not, you have no business trading for Richardson. To that point, you're a passing team, probably (likely) going to score a lot of points. Teams are going to have to pass to come from behind.....and you have a linebacker playing safety with no instincts. Again, that just doesn't seem to fit the culture. 

Now, everyone wants a true "Free Safety", I get that but man it just seems like there is a lot of talent in places where they just don't fit.

Then again, I don't analyze it nearly as much because it's not my team.

Honestly though, an "outsiders" perspective has a lot of merit, being that the Colts aren't your team, your unbiased in a sense.  I tend to agree on some fronts with what you are saying, I just may not be ready to give up on ol Trent just yet.  Landry will lay the wood, just about as much as he misses a tackle.  I guess I prefer my safeties get int's and my lber's blow guys up. . . . 

I do miss Mr. Glass though!  #21  

My god it must be my eyes, I see Andrew Luck running for his life on almost every play. But the Grigson/Pagano duo have said for

TWO YEARS that priority #1 is to protect Luck. Do you see it? They made interior oline moves that they said were just great but

I still don't see results, what could be the problem? Injuries? NFL players get hurt all the time but other teams manage to adjust.

So whats the problem with out interior oline?????????? TRY NO TALENT.

Sure free agents and 6th round picks like Donald Thomas make it every year and some turn out to be good, but three in a row

and what do you have? A JAIL BREAK when you try to pass block with pretend NFL players.

COME ON GRIGSON DO WHAT YOU SAID YOU WOULD AND FIX THE OLINE.

For being George Costanza you aren't very funny.  I think you should be working for Play Now rather than the Yankees based on your analysis of a roster.

I meant that so far he hasn't showed to be a guy who just builds and gets younger through the draft. That's what the Chiefs have going for them. They're 2nd team guys are probably better than some teams starters. They're backups almost beat the Chargers and gave the Colts a run for our money in the playoffs.

I'm not saying his approach has been terrible, but what he's saying about team building is something he hasn't really shown. The teams I listed are all good teams with incredible depth because they draft good and have a young group of guys as their core. His philosophy is the exact opposite. He is the guy who likes to find guys in the trenches. If there is one major thing this team lacks, its young depth, specifically on defense.

I meant that so far he hasn't showed to be a guy who just builds and gets younger through the draft. That's what the Chiefs have going for them. They're 2nd team guys are probably better than some teams starters. They're backups almost beat the Chargers and gave the Colts a run for our money in the playoffs.

I'm not saying his approach has been terrible, but what he's saying about team building is something he hasn't really shown. The teams I listed are all good teams with incredible depth because they draft good and have a young group of guys as their core. His philosophy is the exact opposite. He is the guy who likes to find guys in the trenches. If there is one major thing this team lacks, its young depth, specifically on defense.

The Chiefs second team gave us a run for our money? Who was it that gave up a multiple touchdown lead? And they had the pleasure of drafting in the top half year after year from being terrible. You're bound to acquire some talent that way.

The Chiefs second team gave us a run for our money? Who was it that gave up a multiple touchdown lead? And they had the pleasure of drafting in the top half year after year from being terrible. You're bound to acquire some talent that way.

The Cowboys and the Jaguars would beg to differ.