Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Best starting OLine for next year

Narcosys

I think Reitz will be a backup, Keep in mind my response was only about Thomas potentially getting hurt again, Otherwise

LT-Castonzo

LG-Thomas

C-Holmes

RG-Thornton

RT-Cherilus

Agree with your prediction of the starters. Sure do wish we could get better at center or right guard instead of our prediction though.

Thought this would go here.

"One thing that's become evident in the past hour w Pagano: he is very high on Khaled Holmes. There's gotta be something there"

---via Stephen Holder on Twitter.

Yea I kinda figured that when Pagano was all over Khaled Holmes at his pro day and then drafted him

Agree with your prediction of the starters. Sure do wish we could get better at center or right guard instead of our prediction though.

The raw talent is there in Holmes, Now he just needs to go out and execute...Hopefully he is much stronger

As far as Thornton.....I'm no grading expert.  But it seems to me there were several games where Thornton struggled with picking up stunts.  Like really, really, badly.  Nothing else really stood out to me, so in other aspects of his game, I think he did as expected from a rookie.

Its like on a school test, if you miss all of the questions that cover one topic but do average in all the topics, your overall score is still really poor even though you're not really that far away from having a better score.

As far as Thornton.....I'm no grading expert.  But it seems to me there were several games where Thornton struggled with picking up stunts.  Like really, really, badly.  Nothing else really stood out to me, so in other aspects of his game, I think he did as expected from a rookie.

Its like on a school test, if you miss all of the questions that cover one topic but do average in all the topics, your overall score is still really poor even though you're not really that far away from having a better score.

Ironically, one of the best blocks from any Colts lineman last year was a stunt pickup by Hugh Thornton. I just saw the gif the other day, and now I can't find it, but it was the second game against the Jaguars. He showed the footwork and athleticism that made him a highly rated prospect, and used the strength that is required of an interior lineman to block pass rushers. 

I think Thornton is going to be a really good guard, on either side. If he's the starter at RG, he's definitely better than Mike McGlynn, and as such represents a significant upgrade for us. He was inconsistent as a pass blocker, which is partly because he got no help from Satele. But he was a better in the run game, with a handful of really good games, and because he moves well he's good in the screen game. It's also good to remember that he got hurt in preseason, then sustained a couple other injuries as the year went on. He played LT as a senior at Illinois, so his pass protection will be okay. He was also a wrestler in high school, so he knows how to use his body for leverage. I think he'll be a well-rounded guard for us as he continues to develop. Just hope he stays healthy.