Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Still Have a Hole at Free Safety

Andy

The Indianapolis Colts lost Antoine Bethea in free agency, and have failed to do anything to fill his hole. Are there options in free agency and/or the draft?

The Colts made some nice moves this offseason, solidifying their front seven by adding D’Qwell Jackson and Arthur Jones. They’ve also made an effort to keep their own players, keeping guys like Vontae Davis, Pat McAfee, Ahmad Bradshaw, and Adam Vinatieri. They’ve added other players as well to shore up other positions. Every group got a bit better this offseason, except one, the safety spot.

Despite the fact that his play regressed a bit over the past 2 seasons, Bethea was still a stout player. He was a tackling machine, and was a great leader to have. He led by example. I wrote an article a couple of months ago regarding his future, and the most important thing I said was that if they intend to let him go, they’ll need to find a replacement that is as good or better than him. The problem isn’t him leaving, it’s finding someone to do the job as good as him. After he left, the Colts made absolutely no effort to find a replacement in free agency. I rarely say to go out and sign players, but I believed (and still do) that Chris Clemons was a perfect replacement for Bethea. He’s a good coverage and would compliment Landry well. That’s just an example of a suitable replacement. Judging by the way that GM Ryan Grigson spoke at his presser (and interview), it seems like the Colts are done with free agency. They’ll most likely add a couple of bubble guys before the draft, but by the way he spoke, don’t expect any sparks from them. That means it’s up to finding someone in the draft.

Before I speak about the draft, who is the current starter? If training camp started today, there would be a fierce battle between Delano Howell and special teams star Sergio Brown. Neither have much experience at the safety spot. Howell played in 4 games last season, and graded out negatively on Pro Football Focus. Overall, he looked relatively average. Ryan Grigson believes that Howell looked impressive, but nevertheless, it was 4 starts, and we can all agree that he didn’t blow the roof off the building. Sergio Brown is a stud on special teams but has very little experience at safety. Point is, there is a lot of inexperience and question marks surrounding that free safety spot. What happens if Laron Landry goes down with injury? He was often injured last season, so him missing a few games is not out of the question, and if anything, it’s likely. The Colts lack depth and experience at the position.

The best option is to sign a free agent, but as mentioned earlier, that ship has sailed, which means it’s time to start looking at the draft. It’s a relatively strong draft for safeties. There are some stars at the top, and there are some good options in the middle rounds. However, it doesn’t matter is you get a first rounder or a 7th rounder, they still have the same amount of NFL experience: zero. The Colts have picks in the 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 6th and 7th rounds. They would be wise to pick a safety in the 2nd or 3rd round, as the free safety spot is probably their biggest need right now. Some of the options include: Terrence Brooks, Dion Bailey, Ed Reynolds, and Kenny Ladler.

Brooks is an aggressive, stocky safety who used to play cornerback. He’s a bit raw at safety, but his coverage skills are beyond good for the position. He’s expected to go somewhere between the middle of the 2nd round and the middle of the 3rd round.

Bailey is a name that has been coming up a lot. Bailey is an athletic dual threat safety, meaning he can cover relatively well and can tackle relatively well. He’s the jack of all trades (master of none). He’s not very instinctive and does not make good decisions. He’s expected to go somewhere between the middle of the 3rd round to the latter portion of the 4th round.

There’s Ed Reynolds, who was the 3rd round pick in my Colts Mock Draft 1.0. He’s good size for the position and good aggression. He reads things well and he knows what’s going on. He’ll get overly aggressive at times and he gets beat badly on certain plays. He’s expected to go in the late 2nd round to the middle portion of the 4th round.

Finally, there’s Kenny Ladler, who’s probably the lowest ranked of the four. When I watch him, he reminds me the most of Bethea. Hell, all the scouting reports on him notice the eerily similarities. However, similarities are similarities. People compare Blake Bortles to Andrew Luck, but I can guarantee you that Bortles will not end up like Luck. Ladler is a good open field tackler and makes some big plays at the right time. He lacks maturity in coverage and is very raw; he needs to learn the subtleties of the position.

Those are the 4 players you can expect to see the Colts draft if they intend to draft a safety in the first 3 rounds.   

All in all, the Colts did not do a good job addressing the hole at free safety. It’s not easy replacing a guy like Antoine Bethea, who is the definition of consistency, and was a rock for several years, but there were options on the market. The options in the draft aren’t anything special, but they have the potential to do well a couple of years down the line. If the Colts do not intend to sign a safety, which it seems like they won’t, they’ll most likely suffer inconsistent problems throughout the season, and it may have a negative impact on the team. There’s also a chance that Howell or Brown or the draft pick come in and perform well, but I would bet against that happening. It’s not a pessimistic viewpoint, it’s more of a realistic viewpoint, there’s a lot of youth and inexperience, and it’s bound to happen. They have a hole at free safety, and they did not fill it. 

Andy.....

I'm writing this and then I'm off to sleep.

The Colts made no attempt to sign a safety in Free Agency (and here are the key words)  ....that we know of!!    Odds are we did, but couldn't come to an agreement with someone at the terms they wanted.  Just my hunch. 

As for Clemons, I'd guess the issue is he's listed as a strong safety and that's Landry's spot.  And perhaps the front office doesn't see either Clemons, or Landry as a good fit at free safety,  Bethea's old spot.

Now...  with the draft, I'm guessing we'll invest either our 2 or 3 in a safety, and hope it works out.    If not, I certainly expect our 5 to be focused on a safety.   But can anyone reasonably expect a 5th round rookie to start?    I know, Grigson is viewing an undrafted FA (Howell) as a possible starter?!     Or maybe Brown?    More big gambles from Grigson.   You have to admire the man's stones..... 

These are interesting times.....   we have two big question marks in the middle of the field on both sides of the ball.

Center, and free safety......    Grigson is a brave, brave man......

I'm still expecting a safety being signed. I mean, Vontae got a 10 mil/year contract and let's not destroy our secondary with not giving him the proper help over the top.

He, and the other CBs, will need that.

Through draft or FA... Or else they've figured out Howell to be our version of Reed. That would surprise me. Pleasantly.

Andy.....

I'm writing this and then I'm off to sleep.

The Colts made no attempt to sign a safety in Free Agency (and here are the key words) ....that we know of!! Odds are we did, but couldn't come to an agreement with someone at the terms they wanted. Just my hunch.

As for Clemons, I'd guess the issue is he's listed as a strong safety and that's Landry's spot. And perhaps the front office doesn't see either Clemons, or Landry as a good fit at free safety, Bethea's old spot.

Now... with the draft, I'm guessing we'll invest either our 2 or 3 in a safety, and hope it works out. If not, I certainly expect our 5 to be focused on a safety. But can anyone reasonably expect a 5th round rookie to start? I know, Grigson is viewing an undrafted FA (Howell) as a possible starter?! Or maybe Brown? More big gambles from Grigson. You have to admire the man's stones.....

These are interesting times..... we have two big question marks in the middle of the field on both sides of the ball.

Center, and free safety...... Grigson is a brave, brave man......

Grigs said in his interview that everyone he went after, he got. So I'm assuming he has high hopes for the draft.

Our defense is reliant on hybrid safeties that have interchangeable roles.

Clemons does not fit the mould.

Not exactly I dont think despite what we saw last year with Bethea and Landry, I believe flipping Bethea and Landry served some other purpose though cant put my finger on it, Pagano didn't flip his Safeties in Baltimore Nor did Manusky in San Diego. i dont think its a matter of Clemons fitting the mold as much as Clemons being massively overrated by some on the forum, Our defense is reliant on players that can play in Man coverage and a Safety that can play the center of the field while covering a large amount of it quickly often. Clemons has the speed but he is not a playmaker which is what we seriously need at Safety 

Our defense is reliant on hybrid safeties that have interchangeable roles.

Clemons does not fit the mould.

He doesn't fit the mould perfectly, but can we say with any degree of certainty that Howell or Brown fit the mould better than an established starter like Clemons? Not at all. It is possible, but I wouldn't bank on it. Personally, I think Clemons has potential next to Landry. Clemons' coverage abilities would give us the flexibility to put LaRon back in the box where he belongs. For 3-4M why haven't we signed him?

Not exactly I dont think despite what we saw last year with Bethea and Landry, I believe flipping Bethea and Landry served some other purpose though cant put my finger on it, Pagano didn't flip his Safeties in Baltimore Nor did Manusky in San Diego. i dont think its a matter of Clemons fitting the mold as much as Clemons being massively overrated by some on the forum, Our defense is reliant on players that can play in Man coverage and a Safety that can play the center of the field while covering a large amount of it quickly often. Clemons has the speed but he is not a playmaker which is what we seriously need at Safety

I disagree. I think that the way they played AB and Landry had more to do with their lack of certain abilities than it did to playing to their strengths. I do agree that Clemons is overrated, at least here.

Of the FA left, I wonder if Champ would consider moving to FS, or if he even can at this point. Otherwise, maybe Howell is as good as anyone out there, and a lot cheaper?

I disagree. I think that the way they played AB and Landry had more to do with their lack of certain abilities than it did to playing to their strengths. I do agree that Clemons is overrated, at least here.

Of the FA left, I wonder if Champ would consider moving to FS, or if he even can at this point. Otherwise, maybe Howell is as good as anyone out there, and a lot cheaper?

They both had the same abilities, both can play the run but both can be a liability in coverage, If we played to there strengths then we would have brought both of them up in the box ya obviously could not do that because we just didn't have the Corner play we needed last year...Not to mention no team puts both there Safeties up in the box much, Champ doesn't look to have anything left in the tank, Dont want to sign him and confirm that the hard way, would never be able to cover ground consistently when we go into single high Safety looks, We need a young cover safety in the draft who can cover ground while also not being a liability in coverage

I like Jonathan Downling from Western Kentucky

I like Dowling too. I hope we get him in the 7th or as an UDFA. I think he has potential, and he played right down the road from me. We almost have to get someone in the 2nd or 3rd too. I would be happy with any of Ward, Bucannon, Joyner, or Brooks.

They both had the same abilities, both can play the run but both can be a liability in coverage, If we played to there strengths then we would have brought both of them up in the box ya obviously could not do that because we just didn't have the Corner play we needed last year...Not to mention no team puts both there Safeties up in the box much, Champ doesn't look to have anything left in the tank, Dont want to sign him and confirm that the hard way, would never be able to cover ground consistently when we go into single high Safety looks, We need a young cover safety in the draft who can cover ground while also not being a liability in coverage

I think we played them to their abilities. I guarantee if you got a coverage beast, that he'd be the one playing in the back. Only difference between Bethea and Landry is that Landry is faster but a much poorer tackle.

I think we played them to their abilities. I guarantee if you got a coverage beast, that he'd be the one playing in the back. Only difference between Bethea and Landry is that Landry is faster but a much poorer tackle.

I think we played Landry back there at times because he is a little faster....Not much though but Landry did have experience in single high Safety looks while playing with the Jets

Grigs said in his interview that everyone he went after, he got. So I'm assuming he has high hopes for the draft.

Right.   Understood.    But it doesn't mean he didn't call and inquire.    He calls the agent to get an idea of what the player wants in terms of dollars and years....   when he hears an answer he doesn't like,  he says thanks very much and moves on.    I'm assuming that's what happened.

It's hard for me to believe he made no calls and did not look into every possible player.

Hope that clarifies my thinking.....

They both had the same abilities, both can play the run but both can be a liability in coverage, If we played to there strengths then we would have brought both of them up in the box ya obviously could not do that because we just didn't have the Corner play we needed last year...Not to mention no team puts both there Safeties up in the box much, Champ doesn't look to have anything left in the tank, Dont want to sign him and confirm that the hard way, would never be able to cover ground consistently when we go into single high Safety looks, We need a young cover safety in the draft who can cover ground while also not being a liability in coverage

Yeah, that was sort of my point, neither AB nor Landry had great coverage skills so they were both used in ways you wouldn't normally want to. Ideally, neither would play FS, but someone had to.

Sure, it would be great to find a S in the draft that could step right in. Easier said... I was thinking Champ more for his leadership and experience, but you're probably right, he may not have anything left. Same for Reed.

Right. Understood. But it doesn't mean he didn't call and inquire. He calls the agent to get an idea of what the player wants in terms of dollars and years.... when he hears an answer he doesn't like, he says thanks very much and moves on. I'm assuming that's what happened.

It's hard for me to believe he made no calls and did not look into every possible player.

Hope that clarifies my thinking.....

Yup makes sense and you're probably correct. If we don't get guys that can play at a high level straight out of the draft, we may get torched in the secondary. I can see the same problems with our o-line this coming season. Hopefully Thomas stays healthy. Just my opinion.

You are forgetting that when Delano Howell started, he looked just as good as Bethea last year. Howell will be our starting FS and a very good one at that. The only hole that needs to be filled at safety is for depth in case he or Landry get injured

Not exactly I dont think despite what we saw last year with Bethea and Landry, I believe flipping Bethea and Landry served some other purpose though cant put my finger on it, Pagano didn't flip his Safeties in Baltimore Nor did Manusky in San Diego. i dont think its a matter of Clemons fitting the mold as much as Clemons being massively overrated by some on the forum, Our defense is reliant on players that can play in Man coverage and a Safety that can play the center of the field while covering a large amount of it quickly often. Clemons has the speed but he is not a playmaker which is what we seriously need at Safety

Hmm... You've got it wrong here. They interchange in role to make it difficult for the offense to diagnose... Many teams use their safeties like this, it is clearly a stable part of our scheme.

In my opinion, the only way Howell is starting at FS is if he beats out the guy we draft. Assuming Holmes is our starting C, the only positions it makes sense to draft in the 2nd or 3rd are... S, CB, OLB, and possibly G. Grigson is going to draft a safety early no doubt.

He doesn't fit the mould perfectly, but can we say with any degree of certainty that Howell or Brown fit the mould better than an established starter like Clemons? Not at all. It is possible, but I wouldn't bank on it. Personally, I think Clemons has potential next to Landry. Clemons' coverage abilities would give us the flexibility to put LaRon back in the box where he belongs. For 3-4M why haven't we signed him?

Howell N toler on the same side gonna be alot of tds down the field, on that Side Lol

Howell was the best safety on the team last year when he played, i think Grigson and Pagano have confidence in him as the starting FS. This doesn't prevent us from drafting a safety because we do need depth, but we don't have to draft one early. Kenny Ladler would be a good option in the 5th round. I think CB is a much bigger need because of the injury history of Toler. 

Hmm... You've got it wrong here. They interchange in role to make it difficult for the offense to diagnose... Many teams use their safeties like this, it is clearly a stable part of our scheme.

I've never understood why this would be a preferred part of our scheme. I understand giving an offense different looks, but if both safeties suck in coverage, does it really matter which one is dropping back? IMO, we need a good SS and a good FS, not this hybrid nonsense. That cloak and dagger stuff is for when you just can't field the guys to run each at a set position, and is how we get demolished over the top.

Howell was the best safety on the team last year when he played, i think Grigson and Pagano have confidence in him as the starting FS. This doesn't prevent us from drafting a safety because we do need depth, but we don't have to draft one early. Kenny Ladler would be a good option in the 5th round. I think CB is a much bigger need because of the injury history of Toler.

Was he serviceable? Sure. The best on our team? Far from it.

And I doubt Ladler falls to the 5th.

Put me solidly in the Terrence Brooks camp.  I feel like Delano Howell has a future with the team, but he's really the only option at FS at this point.  I'm not too worried about SS, but Landry was definitely a little disappointing last year.  [He wasn't a difference-maker against the run (like he was billed), but he was a real liability in coverage.]  Of course, we're stuck with him for one more season; however, we have possibilities at the spot (Sims and Sergio), and the SS-types are relatively easy to come by.  I wouldn't mind seeing us get a pair of safeties in the draft to help prepare for Landry's departure after this year, though...

I've never understood why this would be a preferred part of our scheme. I understand giving an offense different looks, but if both safeties suck in coverage, does it really matter which one is dropping back? IMO, we need a good SS and a good FS, not this hybrid nonsense. That cloak and dagger stuff is for when you just can't field the guys to run each at a set position, and is how we get demolished over the top.

That's why...

The safeties being poor in coverage is not a limitation of the scheme, but a limitation of the personnel.

It makes a lot of sense to have versatile roles for safeties... it makes it very difficult to diagnose who does what pre-snap, meaning the QB needs to process that after the snap... and in the 5-odd seconds they have per play, that can be pretty significant.

No defense can do everything perfectly, but the best defenses are the ones that can disguise their weaknesses, whilst the best offenses exploit weaknesses.

More and more teams want versatile safeties for this reason, unfortunately such players are few and far between.

You are forgetting that when Delano Howell started, he looked just as good as Bethea last year. Howell will be our starting FS and a very good one at that. The only hole that needs to be filled at safety is for depth in case he or Landry get injured

Put me solidly in the Terrence Brooks camp.  I feel like Delano Howell has a future with the team, but he's really the only option at FS at this point.  I'm not too worried about SS, but Landry was definitely a little disappointing last year.  [He wasn't a difference-maker against the run (like he was billed), but he was a real liability in coverage.]  Of course, we're stuck with him for one more season; however, we have possibilities at the spot (Sims and Sergio), and the SS-types are relatively easy to come by.  I wouldn't mind seeing us get a pair of safeties in the draft to help prepare for Landry's departure after this year, though...

This is why I think the best bet is to draft Deone Bucannon. Hey may be a SS, but we can't act as if SS isn't a need too.  And its much better to get a SS who kills 2 birds with one stone, rather than reach on a FS early. You could make Landry and Howell battle it out for the FS spot and get an upgrade at SS. Then you could draft a FS prospect late to develop. I'm not for drafting "around" Landry.