Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Draft (Post Miami Win)

I know its still early but I do feel we will earn the 1st overall pick due to our horrible excuse for a team this year. We're not even competitive. First, I do hope we overhaul this coaching staff and bring in some actual motivators and defensive minds.

Then in Free Agency I would like us to sign a defensive player, maybe a NT or DB.

Then in the draft...

1st- QB Andrew Luck (We keep him because Peyton is still very iffy and Im not sure he will ever be the same. If he ends up playing well again we could always get something back for Peyton in a trade for draft picks.)

2nd- If OG David DeCastro drops to the end of 1st round, trade up and get him if not too costly. Pairing him back with Luck will be a good thing plus a very good OG is the one piece missing on this OL. If DeCastro goes mid 1st, then we can go SS Mark Barron in the 2nd.

3rd- Best WR or DB available. This WR class is too good to not get a WR to replace Reggie Wayne. And if we dont resign Garcon, we should look at FA WRs as well like Desean Jackson.

4th- Best WR or DB available We need DB help in the worst way.

I know its still early but I do feel we will earn the 1st overall pick due to our horrible excuse for a team this year. We're not even competitive. First, I do hope we overhaul this coaching staff and bring in some actual motivators and defensive minds.

Then in Free Agency I would like us to sign a defensive player, maybe a NT or DB.

Then in the draft...

1st- QB Andrew Luck (We keep him because Peyton is still very iffy and Im not sure he will ever be the same. If he ends up playing well again we could always get something back for Peyton in a trade for draft picks.)

2nd- If OG David DeCastro drops to the end of 1st round, trade up and get him if not too costly. Pairing him back with Luck will be a good thing plus a very good OG is the one piece missing on this OL. If DeCastro goes mid 1st, then we can go SS Mark Barron in the 2nd.

3rd- Best WR or DB available. This WR class is too good to not get a WR to replace Reggie Wayne. And if we dont resign Garcon, we should look at FA WRs as well like Desean Jackson.

4th- Best WR or DB available We need DB help in the worst way.

Got to address the secondary dont we?

I like that draft strategy. Actually, our defense is fine, because I'd rather we just go heavy offense, since it's what our team is comfortable with. It's a formula that has worked for us, so long as we get solid QB play. It's a formula that has also brought us one Superbowl win and 10 consecutive (or more) playoff appearances. Yes, it's a shame we couldn't get at least another Superbowl win, but in all respects, at least we've found success with something which is more than I can say for 50% or more of the other NFL teams.

What we need to fix our defense is not better players - it's better coaching. If we plug a defensive minded guy in, like Rob Ryan, Gruden, or god knows who else, then we can resolve some of those deficiencies.

Edited by ReMeDy

I like that draft strategy. Actually, our defense is fine, because I'd rather we just go heavy offense, since it's what our team is comfortable with. It's a formula that has worked for us, so long as we get solid QB play. It's a formula that has also brought us one Superbowl win and 10 consecutive (or more) playoff appearances. Yes, it's a shame we couldn't get at least another Superbowl win, but in all respects, at least we've found success with something which is more than I can say for 50% or more of the other NFL teams.

What we need to fix our defense is not better players - it's better coaching. If we plug a defensive minded guy in, like Rob Ryan, Gruden, or god knows who else, then we can resolve some of those deficiencies.

Although you are right that offense has been our bread and butter, you still need a good defense to win and contend for a championship. Even in our Super Bowl season, our defense was effective and kept us in each and every game. During the 2006 regular season, our defense only allowed 2 teams to score 30+ points. And in the playoffs, excluding the shootout against New England, our defense only gave up 8, 6 and 17 points. It wasn't an amazing defense by any means, but it had enough talented players to lead us to a championship. In short, you need a good defense regardless of how amazing your offense. For evidence, just refer to the years when we had the amazing offensive trio of Manning, Harrison and James but failed to win in the postseason because of our lackluster defense.

The Colts certainly need to maintain an explosive offense as our identity, but there is no doubt that we have to replenish our defense with a big influx of new high-level talent, starting with THIS DRAFT. Our secondary is depleted, we lack depth at linebacker, we still lack a great run-stuffer on the D-line, and Freeney/Mathis are getting older. We are not going to fix our defense just in one draft, but we certainly have to take a stab at it and at least fill a few of the holes.

On the other hand, our offense needs lots of help too but it is in better shape than our defense is (not that this is saying much). Even if Wayne and Clark are getting older and are no longer in their primes, they are still good enough to be effective for a few more seasons with a good QB at the helm. Our WR corps of Wayne, Garcon, Collie, Clark and Tamme isn't the best, but it can still score some points with a competent QB. Our RB corps kinda sucks, but at least they have an offensive line that is improving and is starting to open up some more holes. And besides Saturday, we have some young studs on the offensive line who can at least anchor it for a little while.

Yes, we need replacements all over the field and both sides of the ball. And that's the point. We need players EVERYWHERE. So we cannot possibly fix our entire team just in this upcoming offseason. However, whether we have Peyton come back or we draft a talented new QB, next year's offense will at least be above-average if we re-sign them all. On the other hand, next year's defense will be atrocious if we don't address it heavily in the draft. Therefore, I think it's more important to draft defense with our high-round picks and save the offensive replacements for next season's draft (excluding QB, which does also need to be addressed in this year's draft).

I just thought of the best defensive coordinator to replace Larry Coyer if Coyer doesn't fix the defense.

John Chavis, DC LSU. Not only has LSU's defense played lights out the entire season, but his defensive philophy fits what the colts need perfectly. One of the CBS announcers says that Chavis focuses on adding speed rushers and talented man to man CB's. We have the DE's in Dwight Freeney and Robert Mathis, we just need a couple more talented CB's.

If we are getting Andrew Luck, there is no trade down, let me make a mock with just Andrew Luck in mind :), about time I made one.

Pick No.1: Andrew Luck, QB, Stanford

Round 2: Dwight Jones, WR, North Carolina (future weapon for Luck)

Round 3: Casey Hayward, CB, Vanderbilt

Round 4: Jaye Howard, DT, Florida

Round 5: Tyler Nielsen, OLB, Iowa

Round 6: Kevious Watkins, OG, South Carolina

Round 7: Kevin Koger, TE, Michigan

I just thought of the best defensive coordinator to replace Larry Coyer if Coyer doesn't fix the defense.

John Chavis, DC LSU. Not only has LSU's defense played lights out the entire season, but his defensive philophy fits what the colts need perfectly. One of the CBS announcers says that Chavis focuses on adding speed rushers and talented man to man CB's. We have the DE's in Dwight Freeney and Robert Mathis, we just need a couple more talented CB's.

Hmm thtats an interesting idea pending he wants to leave a powerhouse like LSU. But yeah I would be in favor of getting a dominating DC from college rather than an ok one in the pros.

• 2 weeks later...