Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ColtsAuthority on Costa

The Peytonator

For two years all I've heard from the Colts Grigson/Pagano is "we must protect Luck better" NOT This isn't me saying this its them

Do you see results? All last summer on Colts.com We must limit the hits on Luck, number one priorty. Do you see results?

I don't care if they have 50 center and 50 guard prospects there are none with Talent. Don't give me 2 game Donald Thomas

either. He has played in something like 45/96 games and started 26/96 games go to NFL.com and look it up if you think I'm making

it up. I do believe Thornton will get better or I sure as hell hope he gets better. WE NEED TALENT. I know that undrafted players

like Saturday have become good/great players but I promise you there's a Huge amount more of undrafted players that did not.

Its nice that Costa had a good game vs the Ravens, if he's so good why did Dallas whose guards suck let him go, he plays guard

also i've heard. You will never get Mack if you don't make an offer, sign him then next year redo his contract to more cap friendly

take the 2nd rd pick get Gabe Jackson or Dave Yankey or the best Guard you can. Then your weakest position group becomes

a strength. Control the clock run the ball and maybe T. Richardson becomes the hammer you thought you were getting.

what do you mean? he doesnt even have a youtube highlight video? he sucks

in all seriousness the guy is complete trash though. just another overpaid grigson free agent. aw well center isnt an important position. its not like peps offense's has 80 percent of the runs straight up the middle with 3 tes

youtube highlight video for a center  lmao   Go get some fresh air :funny:

There are a lot of people on this board that are freaking out because we haven't signed every available free agent......no patience. It is a long offseason. I personally don't think that Costa is anything other than an insurance policy. He is a versatile interior lineman. I don't believe our opening day starter at Center is on the roster currently. I also don't think it will be Alex Mack.

There is a long list of people that agree with what you are saying, but I would offer that those people aren't paying attention to the signals.  Grigson just let EDS go by the window to Tampa for a nominal contract and has made no move toward DLP.  He is making it very clear that he wants a competent contingency for Holmes and he chose Costa after Hawley re-signed with the Falcons.  He'll keep a line in the water on Mack, and he might draft a BPA interior lineman like Marcus Martin in the 2nd or 3rd, but Colt's fans should have every expectation that the opening day starter at center is on the roster today.

Management always talks about being a power running team yet they spend very little money upgrading our line so that we can be a 49'ers type pound the ball attack. Maybe they have a lot of faith that we do not have.

They signed two FA lineman last year in Cherilus and Thomas and the turned around and drafted a center and guard in the draft. You may not like the result thus far, but they have tried.

I'm sorry, but that lineup looks like a bunch of hot garbage, outside of the bookend tackles. Doesn't inspire confidence at all, to me

Both of our Tackles were among the Worst at giving up hurries.  :thmup:  :thmup:

Per PFF, Satele gave up fewer as a total, of sacks, hits, and hurries than MACK. lmao!

Both of our Tackles were among the Worst at giving up hurries.  :thmup:  :thmup:

Per PFF, Satele gave up fewer as a total, of sacks, hits, and hurries than MACK. lmao!

How many games did each guy play in?  Cause Satele was injured for more then one game and didn't play.  

Pressure on Luck isn't the reason we need to improve the interior line play. I'm entirely bored with the idea that the offensive line needs to be improved to protect Luck. 

The line needs to be improved so that we can develop some semblance of a run game. PFF's pass blocking stats are irrelevant in that regard.

We still haven't seen Holmes yet and we already classified him as a bust. Let's see how they look during preseason before we get too concerned about this position

On a positive note I think the rest of our starting O-line is very solid. Cherilus was an awesome RT for us last year, very consistent.

Costanzo looked good when he had Donald Thomas next to him throughout preseason and week 1.

Thornton had a few mistakes on his reads, but his technique and strength were really good and he held his own as a rookie and looks very promising as a long term fit.

Donald Thomas in my opinion is our best lineman. He looked freaking amazing during preseason, flawless technique and rarely missed his reads.

With 2 solid guards on both sides of our center, I think they will gel really well.

paying even one dollar for a player worse than satele is over paying 

i talk about how great the colts are and how great the FAs have been all the time. whats wrong with you

False.  Paying 1 dollar for a player worse than satele is economical common sense.  I've said it before and I'll say it again.  We're paying less for Costa, and if he curled up in the fetal position after every snap on game day, then we'd be getting the same production for less.

We still haven't seen Holmes yet and we already classified him as a bust. Let's see how they look during preseason before we get too concerned about this position

On a positive note I think the rest of our starting O-line is very solid. Cherilus was an awesome RT for us last year, very consistent.

Costanzo looked good when he had Donald Thomas next to him throughout preseason and week 1.

Thornton had a few mistakes on his reads, but his technique and strength were really good and he held his own as a rookie and looks very promising as a long term fit.

Donald Thomas in my opinion is our best lineman. He looked freaking amazing during preseason, flawless technique and rarely missed his reads.

With 2 solid guards on both sides of our center, I think they will gel really well.

If we wait until preseason odds are the last few remaining decent O linemen will have already been picked up.  We tried that "wait, see, and hope approach" last season with McGlynn and Satele  I would rather not repeat that mistake.  If we go into the season with the current OL I will be very disappointed,

Personally, I'm not dismissing Costa because he was undrafted...I'm dismissing him *as our starter* because he's not very good. So much so, that Dallas felt the need to reach, drafting a center in the 1st round last year.

Not sure they reached for the new center he played VERY WELL, & Costa played Ok. I Don't watch other teams OLmen say like a guy like Costa. My brother is a Dallas fan & watches ever game he knows football & he says in his opinion that Costa is pretty good. He says he can play guard as well very versatile. His exact words! Thats good enough for me until I see different we may go with Costa, Hughes, and Austin whom I liked in pre season. If so let the best man win!

For two years all I've heard from the Colts Grigson/Pagano is "we must protect Luck better" NOT This isn't me saying this its them

Do you see results? All last summer on Colts.com We must limit the hits on Luck, number one priorty. Do you see results?

I don't care if they have 50 center and 50 guard prospects there are none with Talent. Don't give me 2 game Donald Thomas

either. He has played in something like 45/96 games and started 26/96 games go to NFL.com and look it up if you think I'm making

it up. I do believe Thornton will get better or I sure as hell hope he gets better. WE NEED TALENT. I know that undrafted players

like Saturday have become good/great players but I promise you there's a Huge amount more of undrafted players that did not.

Its nice that Costa had a good game vs the Ravens, if he's so good why did Dallas whose guards suck let him go, he plays guard

also i've heard. You will never get Mack if you don't make an offer, sign him then next year redo his contract to more cap friendly

take the 2nd rd pick get Gabe Jackson or Dave Yankey or the best Guard you can. Then your weakest position group becomes

a strength. Control the clock run the ball and maybe T. Richardson becomes the hammer you thought you were getting.

Agree with most of what you said, but we did sign Cherilus who played very well. Thomas I have seen play & like him so don't agree with you there. Costa is the size of a center not guard so Dallas may not of wanted that but Dallas also had extreme cap issues which is probably why he wasn't signed, myu bother Dallas fan says he is pretty good. I like bringing Reitz back as well he is a good pass protector.

Donald Thomas according to NFL.com if you believe them or not its where I got these numbers so go see for yourself.

.                               games started                          games played

2013 Colts........................2..................................................2....

2012 Patriots....................7..................................................16..

2011 Patriots....................1..................................................10

2010 Lions........................0..................................................0

2009 Dolphins..................12.................................................16

2008 Dolphins---------------1...................................................1

.So I see a player thats played in 45 of 96 games and started 23 of those 96 games as you can also see he has played all 16 games twice in 6 years. He has started 10 games in the last 4 years, Hall of Fame career that.

Donald Thomas according to NFL.com if you believe them or not its where I got these numbers so go see for yourself.

.                               games started                          games played

2013 Colts........................2..................................................2....

2012 Patriots....................7..................................................16..

2011 Patriots....................1..................................................10

2010 Lions........................0..................................................0

2009 Dolphins..................12.................................................16

2008 Dolphins---------------1...................................................1

.So I see a player thats played in 45 of 96 games and started 23 of those 96 games as you can also see he has played all 16 games twice in 6 years. He has started 10 games in the last 4 years, Hall of Fame career that.

When you put the numbers that way it doesn't look so good, but a couple things to keep in mind....In NE he was playing behind Logan Mankins and was looked at as something of a swing lineman. His first year with the Dolphins should be scratched because he was a 7th round pick and a rookie. I'm not sure what happened in Detroit but sometimes teams don't really know what they have until it's gone. Look at Evan Mathis. He's pretty much the best guard in the game, but when he was with the Bengals he shared time with Nate Livings. It wasn't until he became an Eagle that he really broke out and it was because he was given a full time role.

Thomas' injury was unfortunate, but he did have his ankle rolled up. I think that would injure most linemen. Give him another year, I don't think you'll be disappointed.