Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Remaining FA options?

backshoulderfade

We still have a decent amount of cap space left at this stage in FA. At his point I have seen several members of the press state that we are probably out of the Alex Mack race. As far as I can see, there are several options left available who could give us considerable upgrades all over the field.

I still feel that center position needs to be addressed. We could probably get Montgomery for 1.5 per, maybe. Decent short term answer.

I think going after DRC is a great option. The pairing of him and Davis would be elite no doubt. He can play in press man and is a super athlete. I feel we would have a top 5 D with this addition, even without a new safety. I don't really know what we could get him for but I would hope for something like 18m, 3 years.

What does everyone else think?

I personally hope we do this....Sign Will Montgomery and Anthony Spencer. Neither of those guys would hurt our cap situation in the future. In the draft I would like to see Jimmy ward in the 2nd, The best CB available in the 3rd, and Justin Ellis in the 5th. These moves would improve our team in a big way IMO. Also, if Vince Wilfork is released Grigs should go after him hard. DRC would be way to expensive. He turned down a HUGE contract Denver offered. So it would be best to draft a CB and groom him to replace Toler the next year.

I personally hope we do this....Sign Will Montgomery and Anthony Spencer. Neither of those guys would hurt our cap situation in the future. In the draft I would like to see Jimmy ward in the 2nd, The best CB available in the 3rd, and Justin Ellis in the 5th. These moves would improve our team in a big way IMO. Also, if Vince Wilfork is released Grigs should go after him hard. DRC would be way to expensive. He turned down a HUGE contract Denver offered. So it would be best to draft a CB and groom him to replace Toler the next year.

What did Denver offer?

Personally, I'd like to see what Jared Allen could do for us. Maybe it's just me, but I'd think that would be awesome.

I dont think Jared Allen is a good fit at all. Pure 43 DE, IMO.

I'd take Will Montgomery, Chris Clemons, and Shaun Phillips.

Another option is to extend some current players early.

Darius Butler, Reggie Wayne, Anthony Castonzo, and leave some money for Hakeem Nicks later in the season.

I would pull the trigger to extend Butler right away. He is a heck of a corner and we are getting him for bargain basement money right now. Give him a 4-5 year deal for about 20 million, and it will be much cheaper than we will pay for him later. 

Reggie Wayne has shown us great loyalty. If he wants to play another 3 years, then structure a deal that works for both sides now. No sense in waiting for 2015 when his deal is up again, unless he plans to hang it up.

Anthony Castonzo will be a highly desired player in 2015. Why not at least offer him a deal now, before other teams get the opportunity. Lock him up for 4-5 years. Might get him cheaper if we do it early by keeping him off the market.

If Nicks performs well then (middle of the season) lock him in for 5-6 years.

I believe it could be in our best interest to start looking at some of our own. I would have locked down Vontae last season too, and I believe we would have saved a ton of money doing it. 

Darius Butler, Reggie Wayne, Anthony Castonzo, and leave some money for Hakeem Nicks later in the season.

I would pull the trigger to extend Butler right away. He is a heck of a corner and we are getting him for bargain basement money right now. Give him a 4-5 year deal for about 20 million, and it will be much cheaper than we will pay for him later. 

Reggie Wayne has shown us great loyalty. If he wants to play another 3 years, then structure a deal that works for both sides now. No sense in waiting for 2015 when his deal is up again, unless he plans to hang it up.

Anthony Castonzo will be a highly desired player in 2015. Why not at least offer him a deal now, before other teams get the opportunity. Lock him up for 4-5 years. Might get him cheaper if we do it early by keeping him off the market.

I believe it could be in our best interest to start looking at some of our own. I would have locked down Vontae last season too, and I believe we would have saved a ton of money doing it. 

I think Reggie should get 1 year contracts only at this point in his  career and I wouldn't do that until he plays this whole year and shows he can still pay and stay on the field.

I think Reggie should get 1 year contracts only at this point in his  career and I wouldn't do that until he plays this whole year and shows he can still pay and stay on the field.

That sounds great from a Colts front office perspective; however, how would Reggie feel about it? I doubt any player wants to be on a year-to-year deal like you mentioned. 

This is how players feel disrespected; especially after they have taken home team discounts, like Reggie has done. We got him on a 3 year 17 million dollar deal. If he wanted to leave then he would have made a lot more. 

A 3 year 10 million dollar deal could essentially be a 1 year deal anyway. But you never slap a player in the face with it. Look At Urlacher and how nicely that situation turned out.

only 24 guaranteed and all of the guarantees come in the first three seasons

ONLY 24 guaranteed?   

We only guaranteed Vontae 20. 

And I don't think Shields got anymore guaranteed than Davis did. 

So I don't think 24 is all that small.

Of course,  you're mileage may vary..........

I'm out of "likes" but I wanted to note how much I appreciate really good outside-the-box thinking!

Nice job!     :thmup:

I'm also reasonably sure most other posters here will look at you as if you're speaking in a foreign language........................

I'm out of "likes" but I wanted to note how much I appreciate really good outside-the-box thinking!

Nice job!     :thmup:

I'm also reasonably sure most other posters here will look at you as if you're speaking in a foreign language........................

Thank you for the kind words. They are very much appreciated. :)

:shoe:

haha, I thought it would be. Oh well, I'll just keep pipe dreaming.

Apologies for the saltiness.

If we ran a 4-3, and he wouldn't cost 10 million a year, I'd want him. As of right now he does not fit our scheme, except maybe a (very) situational role. He was going to make 10 a year in Denver and we cannot afford to drop that on a guy who will barely play. In addition, he would prefer to not play than to play for less than he deems himself worthy. If players could pick their salaries based on how much they think they're worth, well, we'd be happy most of them can't count so well! haha

ONLY 24 guaranteed?

We only guaranteed Vontae 20.

And I don't think Shields got anymore guaranteed than Davis did.

So I don't think 24 is all that small.

Of course, you're mileage may vary..........

24 guaranteed over the first three years. 8 million a year.

That sounds great from a Colts front office perspective; however, how would Reggie feel about it? I doubt any player wants to be on a year-to-year deal like you mentioned. 

This is how players feel disrespected; especially after they have taken home team discounts, like Reggie has done. We got him on a 3 year 17 million dollar deal. If he wanted to leave then he would have made a lot more. 

A 3 year 10 million dollar deal could essentially be a 1 year deal anyway. But you never slap a player in the face with it. Look At Urlacher and how nicely that situation turned out.

I would have nothing to do with a three year contract for Reggie Wayne. It is time for him to retire and walk away before he embarrasses himself. I love what he used to be but that is in the past and this is a business. No place for sentiment.

No more free agents... Need to focus on the draft .Can`t build you`re whole team with free agents.Think the team is good enough to win the Super Bowl with what we got already.

What? Nothing has been done to that horrible offensive line except adding a very dubious center. You can't win a SB with that line.

I would have nothing to do with a three year contract for Reggie Wayne. It is time for him to retire and walk away before he embarrasses himself. I love what he used to be but that is in the past and this is a business. No place for sentiment.

I'm sorry, I'm confused. Was Reggie embarrassing himself prior to his injury? Or was he still consistently one of the better WR in the league? So why would we assume that when he comes back next year that he will embarrass himself...we have yet to see any proof that he will play poorly when he comes back. It would be dumb and premature to tell him to hang it up now before he "embarrasses" himself.

I'm sorry, I'm confused. Was Reggie embarrassing himself prior to his injury? Or was he still consistently one of the better WR in the league? So why would we assume that when he comes back next year that he will embarrass himself...we have yet to see any proof that he will play poorly when he comes back. It would be dumb and premature to tell him to hang it up now before he "embarrasses" himself.

Age gets us all. Reggie's great years are behind him. He may come back this year and be adequate but that is no guarantee that he would be the next year. He is already too old to play the position and that is why Nicks was brought in because it is highly doubtful that Reggie will ever perform at his previous level again. He simply is not worth putting any more money into in my opinion. Great player, great career and it is about over.

yeah he was terrible before the injury last year huh :facepalm:

Age gets us all. Reggie's great years are behind him. He may come back this year and be adequate but that is no guarantee that he would be the next year. He is already too old to play the position and that is why Nicks was brought in because it is highly doubtful that Reggie will ever perform at his previous level again. He simply is not worth putting any more money into in my opinion. Great player, great career and it is about over.

this coming from a guy that thinks wilfork will be dominant after an Achilles injury

Wilfork is not as old at Reggie. He also does not require great speed like Reggie does. I would have the same thoughts about Wilfork if he were Reggie's age.

Wilfork needs to push off and be explosive. The achillies is a large part of that. Also, wilfork is not a young guy anymore either

Geez!  I don't understand how ANYONE can post ANYTHING negative about Reggie Wayne.

The man is a class act and still one of the most effective WRs in the league.

He takes extremely good care of himself physically and plays like a much younger man.

Reggie still has some good tread on those tires.

Geez!  I don't understand how ANYONE can post ANYTHING negative about Reggie Wayne.

The man is a class act and still one of the most effective WRs in the league.

He takes extremely good care of himself physically and plays like a much younger man.

Reggie still has some good tread on those tires.

I hope you are right but logic says that you are not. I am not saying anything negative about Reggie and his years here. He is an old receiver now coming off a serious injury. Anything he gives this year is icing on the cake. The Colts are not expecting that and neither am I. After this, I don't expect him to be on the team at all.

Dude, you are just way off.

How can you even conclude it is in the past? He has been phenomenal for us up until his injury. Nobody knows if he'll be worse, the same or even better the coming years.