Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NE has a $20M option in 2015 for Revis.

Dustin

odds of them actually exercising that are very slim

Exactly. The real news is that this prohibits them from franchising him next year. He either gets a long term deal or he walks and they don't get a compensation pick. I was wondering why he would agree to a 1 year deal, but now it makes sense.

Exactly. The real news is that this prohibits them from franchising him next year. He either gets a long term deal or he walks and they don't get a compensation pick. I was wondering why he would agree to a 1 year deal, but now it makes sense.

i think he wants to be a free agent with Sherman next year. Imagine the dollars those two are going to command

My thoughts exactly. Revis wants to be year to year to make the bucks. Risky but he also wants a ring too. Sherman is going to make sick money.

This guy must have a red light in his window... Every year he wants to go to the highest bidder ?

This is win-win. Gives both the team and player flexibility. Also makes Revis' 2014 cap number somewhere around $6.5 million, if I'm reading all this correctly. Room to do more.

Plus Hernandez's 7 million comes off the cap next season. If Revis and the Patriots click they can revisit contract talks and restructure the whole deal for multiple years.

i don't think his numbers are correct. How can he make 12 this season, 20 next season and have either year be a cap hit of 6.5.

It's how the guaranteed money comes into play. Very smart for the Patriots to do it and guaranteeing Revis that they won't franchise him. A loophole so to speak.

i don't think his numbers are correct. How can he make 12 this season, 20 next season and have either year be a cap hit of 6.5.

It's because he has a roster bonus of 12 million next offseason.  That's more than his signing bonus.  So his cap his this year is 5 million of signing bonus, 500k of game bonuses, and 1.5 million of base salary, for a 7 million total cap hit.  His cap his next year consists of 5 million of signing bonus, 500k of game bonuses, 7.5 million of base salary, and 12 million of roster bonus, for a cap hit of 25 million.

It's because he has a roster bonus of 12 million next offseason.  That's more than his signing bonus.  So his cap his this year is 5 million of signing bonus, 500k of game bonuses, and 1.5 million of base salary, for a 7 million total cap hit.  His cap his next year consists of 5 million of signing bonus, 500k of game bonuses, 7.5 million of base salary, and 12 million of roster bonus, for a cap hit of 25 million.

eye-spin-o.gif

It's because he has a roster bonus of 12 million next offseason. That's more than his signing bonus. So his cap his this year is 5 million of signing bonus, 500k of game bonuses, and 1.5 million of base salary, for a 7 million total cap hit. His cap his next year consists of 5 million of signing bonus, 500k of game bonuses, 7.5 million of base salary, and 12 million of roster bonus, for a cap hit of 25 million.

what if they don't exercise the option for next year?

Free agent.

But they can't franchise him, which is sort of the point off all this.

if they don't exercise the following year, and the bonus involved i don't understand how that has anything to do with this season. Meaning how can you push off a cap into a year that you know he won't be playing in?6

if they don't exercise the following year, and the bonus involved i don't understand how that has anything to do with this season. Meaning how can you push off a cap into a year that you know he won't be playing in?6

Like I said, via bonuses.  Not sure specifically what the rule for base salary is, but you can kinda do whatever you want with that, since it's not guaranteed.

Here's the breakdown, and the rules.

He gets 10 million in signing bonus.  Signing bonus is fully guaranteed.  It is paid to the player immediately, but it counts evenly against the cap in all years of the contract.  So, 5 million each year.  Now, the thing about signing bonuses is, if you have a 3+ year contract and cut a guy with more than 1 year left, ALL the remaining signing bonus as counted against the cap accelerates, and thus if, for instance, you give a guy 10 million signing bonus for a 5 year contract and cut him after 1 year, that's 8 million against your cap the following year.  That's not an issue here, however, since it's just 2 years, so if they let him go after this year, they have a cap hit in 2015 of 5 million, just the amount of the signing bonus allocated to 2015.  So that's the only thing the Pats are, right this minute, on the hook for in 2015 as the salary cap goes.

Then, the Pats gave him a total of 9 million in base salary, but only 1.5 million this year, and 7.5 million next year.  That's not guaranteed, so if the Pats cut him after this year, he doesn't get that 7.5, and the Pats don't have it count against their cap.  As I said, base salary is more flexible and you can mess with it to get the cap hits you want, the issue is just that it's not guaranteed.

The roster bonus of 12 million is not guaranteed, and wouldn't become guaranteed until I believe April of next year, so it would count fully against the cap in 2015, and none in 2014.  That's where the really big discrepancy is.

And then he gets up to $500,000 each year for playing in 15+ games, prorated, but that's a fairly small part of the contract.

So that's a 2-year, 32 million contract, with 10 million in signing bonus, 9 million in salary, 1 million in earned bonuses, and a 12 million roster bonus, structured so that the cap hit the first year is 7 million, and the cap hit the second year is 25.

Plus Hernandez's 7 million comes off the cap next season. If Revis and the Patriots click they can revisit contract talks and restructure the whole deal for multiple years.

Great point about the 7 mil for Hernandez. Makes this deal more sensible if they choose to keep Revis.

Like I said, via bonuses.  Not sure specifically what the rule for base salary is, but you can kinda do whatever you want with that, since it's not guaranteed.

Here's the breakdown, and the rules.

He gets 10 million in signing bonus.  Signing bonus is fully guaranteed.  It is paid to the player immediately, but it counts evenly against the cap in all years of the contract.  So, 5 million each year.  Now, the thing about signing bonuses is, if you have a 3+ year contract and cut a guy with more than 1 year left, ALL the remaining signing bonus as counted against the cap accelerates, and thus if, for instance, you give a guy 10 million signing bonus for a 5 year contract and cut him after 1 year, that's 8 million against your cap the following year.  That's not an issue here, however, since it's just 2 years, so if they let him go after this year, they have a cap hit in 2015 of 5 million, just the amount of the signing bonus allocated to 2015.  So that's the only thing the Pats are, right this minute, on the hook for in 2015 as the salary cap goes.

Then, the Pats gave him a total of 9 million in base salary, but only 1.5 million this year, and 7.5 million next year.  That's not guaranteed, so if the Pats cut him after this year, he doesn't get that 7.5, and the Pats don't have it count against their cap.  As I said, base salary is more flexible and you can mess with it to get the cap hits you want, the issue is just that it's not guaranteed.

The roster bonus of 12 million is not guaranteed, and wouldn't become guaranteed until I believe April of next year, so it would count fully against the cap in 2015, and none in 2014.  That's where the really big discrepancy is.

And then he gets up to $500,000 each year for playing in 15+ games, prorated, but that's a fairly small part of the contract.

So that's a 2-year, 32 million contract, with 10 million in signing bonus, 9 million in salary, 1 million in earned bonuses, and a 12 million roster bonus, structured so that the cap hit the first year is 7 million, and the cap hit the second year is 25.

Impressive man. Thanks.

How is that not cap dodging?

*shrug*

Everything is legal until it's not.  If enough people don't like this maybe they cap roster bonuses as some kind of percentage or something.  Right now, though, it looks legit to me.

*shrug*

Everything is legal until it's not.  If enough people don't like this maybe they cap roster bonuses as some kind of percentage or something.  Right now, though, it looks legit to me.

But it's 1yr deal paying him $12M. They're just pushing the cap away until next year. Is the remaining $5.5M a dead hit for them next year?

But it's 1yr deal paying him $12M. They're just pushing the cap away until next year. Is the remaining $5.5M a dead hit for them next year?

Yes, that's the downside. They'll carry that dead money for one year. They're banking on the cap making a big jump. I've heard it could go up close to $160M next season.

The 5 (from the signing bonus) is dead money for them next year.  The roster bonus and base salary for 2015 are not guaranteed, so they wouldn't be on the hook for that.

And it's not TECHNICALLY a 1-year deal paying him 12 million, that's just what it is on a practical level.  If he plays 15+ games this year, he makes the 10 million in signing bonus, the 1.5 million in base salary, and the 500k in incentives.  But that 10 million signing bonus gets spread out between both years of the deal for cap purposes as 5 million per.

So, yes, functionally, if we assume the Pats will get rid of him after this season, Revis is putting 12 million in his pocket for playing 1 year for New England.  But the way it actually appears on paper, and the way in which the Patriots' cap is affected, is much different.

Possibly even earlier, if they charge him in that 2012 shooting. I don't think he actually has to be convicted for the contract to void. 

The 5 (from the signing bonus) is dead money for them next year.  The roster bonus and base salary for 2015 are not guaranteed, so they wouldn't be on the hook for that.

And it's not TECHNICALLY a 1-year deal paying him 12 million, that's just what it is on a practical level.  If he plays 15+ games this year, he makes the 10 million in signing bonus, the 1.5 million in base salary, and the 500k in incentives.  But that 10 million signing bonus gets spread out between both years of the deal for cap purposes as 5 million per.

So, yes, functionally, if we assume the Pats will get rid of him after this season, Revis is putting 12 million in his pocket for playing 1 year for New England.  But the way it actually appears on paper, and the way in which the Patriots' cap is affected, is much different.

And this is why EVERYONE in this forum are crazy if they think they could do a better job as GM. lol Just goes to show we don't have to agree on anything but we have no real grounds to talk trash about GMs lol. We can barely grasp a simple one year contract lol.

And this is why EVERYONE in this forum are crazy if they think they could do a better job as GM. lol Just goes to show we don't have to agree on anything but we have no real grounds to talk trash about GMs lol. We can barely grasp a simple one year contract lol.

Well, to be fair, most people are more critical on the talent evaluation end of the business than on the contractual end.

Not that we know anything about talent evaluation either, mind you.

And yet they still take guys like Brandon Weedon and JaMarcus Russell high in the draft lol. I couldn't be GM, but quoting Trent Dilfer...there are no geniuses in the NFL.