Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Suspiciously Silent

Rebelknight

I kind of expected this after the Vontae deal. They have to be very smart with their remaining money. I don't think they anticipated Davis costing as much as he did. It is also possible that they aren't crazy about the available free agents that are floating out there. They kind of have to nail the next round of signings because this is the last chance they will have with this type of money to spend. 

Last year was crazy and I believe people are expecting the same this year. 

I have no problem with the pace slowing. We don't need to be frantic and impulsive in our signings. If they are working on an oddly structured deal with Mack, I'd love to have him; however, I don't want us to put all of our eggs in that basket and lose out on another quality center. Even if we sign Mack tonight, that's two days of waiting to see if Cleveland matches that we could lose out on DLP, EDS, or Goodwin... 

I may be wrong, (as I don't fully understand the transition tag), but even if Grigs makes an aggressive offer for Mack, it may be awhile before anything is really reported because (correct me if I am wrong here) but don't the Browns have 5 days to make a counter offer...

I don't get the transition tag, why it exsists separate to the franchise tag...

I may be wrong, (as I don't fully understand the transition tag), but even if Grigs makes an aggressive offer for Mack, it may be awhile before anything is really reported because (correct me if I am wrong here) but don't the Browns have 5 days to make a counter offer...

I don't get the transition tag, why it exsists separate to the franchise tag...

I'm pretty sure the contract terms would be reported immediately when he signs with another team and the clock starts ticking for Cleveland to match the exact same contract.

I don't get the transition tag, why it exsists separate to the franchise tag...

I think it means you want to keep the player but not overpay..Also teams will make offer knowing they wont have to give up picks. .

I'm pretty sure the contract terms would be reported immediately when he signs with another team and the clock starts ticking for Cleveland to match the exact same contract.

So after a realistic offer on Mack is made, does Cleveland have 2 days, 5 days, or a week to match??? Only asking because I have read three different time frames...

I haven't saw a definite number of how much cap space Colts left.  I saw one report of at least 15 million.  Which means we could bring in one more great player, while still having money to sign our draft picks.  I would love to have Alex Mack, but at this point I think it would be smarter to pick up someone good just not as expensive.  I don't even think anyone has signed a C this FA period yet.  Good news, because the longer teams wait the less of the market value.

Okay I want Mack, but it is a waste of time to put all our eggs in that basket. 

Go out there and get Evan Dietrich Smith, and after that either sign a guard or sign Clemons.

Smith is also still a long shot with Green Bays cap space to

I haven't saw a definite number of how much cap space Colts left.  I saw one report of at least 15 million.  Which means we could bring in one more great player, while still having money to sign our draft picks.  I would love to have Alex Mack, but at this point I think it would be smarter to pick up someone good just not as expensive.  I don't even think anyone has signed a C this FA period yet.  Good news, because the longer teams wait the less of the market value.

reported have 22 m in cap .

Whatever cap space they don't use this year can be rolled over to 2015, at which point they might need it. They're not done with free agency, it would appear – safety and center are the most immediate concerns with the money they have remaining (somewhere less than $20 million). But unless they execute a blockbuster signing, the Colts should have cap space to spare.

The Colts had an estimated $40 million in salary-cap space entering the free-agent period, and being able to resist the urge to sign all but two outside free agents thus far among the 10 contracts they’ve executed should allow them to retain good cap health.

i just want to see the colts have a good year not a up and down season were we have to deal with injury problems and Luck running for his life and I would love Mack just as much as the next guy but.......... we need a solid saftey and Brown is good but not that good Im happy with the Jackson and Jones sighning but we have to adress the O line and on a selfish note want a new # 2 cb cause Toiler is not it for me

I'm all for letting the market "settle", but the issue then becomes "whoops, we let it settle too long and now there's only Satele's left on the market.

It's generally not wise to spend like crazy immediately, and we're only two days into FA, but you can't sit back and wait forever either.