Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts v. Broncos - Looking forward, looking back

CoachLite

It's been interesting watching Denver sign all these big name players in Free Agency, attempting to "buy" a Super Bowl.  It will be really interesting to see 1) if it works, and 2) if so, for how long. But all of those FAs were once young, unproven and unknown. Compare this with the Colts. We still have pieces missing, with a lot of younger players and a lot of unknowns. 

If you were building a team to knock off teams like the Broncos, would you take the approach the Colts are taking? Looking forward?  Or the approach the Broncos are taking, looking back at past performance?

It's been interesting watching Denver sign all these big name players in Free Agency, attempting to "buy" a Super Bowl. It will be really interesting to see 1) if it works, and 2) if so, for how long. But all of those FAs were once young, unproven and unknown. Compare this with the Colts. We still have pieces missing, with a lot of younger players and a lot of unknowns.

If you were building a team to knock off teams like the Broncos, would you take the approach the Colts are taking? Looking forward? Or the approach the Broncos are taking, looking back at past performance?

The colts are a young team, doing what Denver is doing isn't necessary

I honestly think the Broncos are in panic mode.  Life without Peyton is going to suck....

Peyton may have told Elway he may not play much longer, and Elway is desperate for a Super Bowl win with him....

I agree with jvan1973...just not necessary.

forgive me if I'm wrong...but aren't ALL teams in the NFL trying to "buy a championship", when you consider the fact that they ALL play under the exact same salary cap number?     If the Colts had used their cap to sign the top OG, top C, top CB and a top SS, would we all be happy...or would we be sad because "we tried to buy a championship"?  To me, Elway is just doing a really great job with the salary cap in Denver...if you look at the majority of their signings, they're set up to still be in great shape, once Peyton retires... there are only a slight few "older" players on the entire team... Peyton, Welker and Ware...pretty much everyone else is very young and will still be there once those 3 retire...and once they DO retire, the cap will be higher and their #s will be coming off of it...  So Denver is playing to win it NOW and long term at the same time, in my honest opinion.

The Broncos will fail royally. It is not just their approach to signing FAs to go all in, it is the amount of money they are spending on older guys that have lost a step, i.e. Ware and injured/character guys - Talib. One thing to try to build through FA, quite another to make bad deals. 

I guess it is like finding a house that can be a home.  The question is to build or buy?  It may take a little longer, and require a little luck (not just Andrew) but building seems the better way to me. For better or worse, you get exactly what you thought you wanted. This is also the difference between having an integrated team, and just having a group of talented individuals (like Philly and Washington discovered in the past).

I think we are the top 2 teams on the AFC

You are dreaming. We have no offensive line. None and it isn't going to be fixed in the draft. New England is better. Cincy is better, the Ravens are better and the Chargers are better. And if the Colts do not fix these problems, after the draft, the Texans may be better. I love them but lets not get silly. We still need lots of pieces.

The Broncos will fail royally. It is not just their approach to signing FAs to go all in, it is the amount of money they are spending on older guys that have lost a step, i.e. Ware and injured/character guys - Talib. One thing to try to build through FA, quite another to make bad deals. 

I don't see any bad deals. I see a defense that is greatly improved. It isn't meant for the long term. Elway sees a two year window and he is going for it like he should. The Colts have a ten year window and they should build through the draft. These are two entirely different situations.

I honestly think the Broncos are in panic mode.  Life without Peyton is going to suck....

Peyton may have told Elway he may not play much longer, and Elway is desperate for a Super Bowl win with him....

I agree with jvan1973...just not necessary.

I don't think it's panic. They might as well go for it before Peyton's arm falls off....that would be my mindset anyway.

Elway thinks buying all these players garrantee's them a SB championship I think he should ask Philly how that worked for them it didn't we all know that and Peyton is the best Regular season QB sucks in the playoffs.

Posts like this just make you look foolish...

You are dreaming. We have no offensive line. None and it isn't going to be fixed in the draft. New England is better. Cincy is better, the Ravens are better and the Chargers are better. And if the Colts do not fix these problems, after the draft, the Texans may be better. I love them but lets not get silly. We still need lots of pieces.

You are dreaming, we do have an offensive line, Thornton improved as the year went on, Donald Thomas is back from missing nearly all of last season, and we cut Satele, who ironically, the line played better every time he was out. New England will likely lose Edelman, and their best defensive player in Talib, talk to me if they get Revis. Cincy? Can they even get out of the 1st round? Baltimore? Lol? And San Diego? once again no? do you forget we have Reggie Wayne, Dwayne Allen, and Vick Ballard coming back?

You are dreaming, we do have an offensive line, Thornton improved as the year went on, Donald Thomas is back from missing nearly all of last season, and we cut Satele, who ironically, the line played better every time he was out. New England will likely lose Edelman, and their best defensive player in Talib, talk to me if they get Revis. Cincy? Can they even get out of the 1st round? Baltimore? Lol? And San Diego? once again no? do you forget we have Reggie Wayne, Dwayne Allen, and Vick Ballard coming back?

The Colts offensive line is a complete joke. New England will make up for losing Edelman and Talib, they always do. Cincy will get out of the first round if they play the Colts. So would Baltimore and San Diego is much better. Do you forget that Reggie Wayne is an old man now and who knows what Allen and Ballard will bring or if they can stay on the field.

I guess it is like finding a house that can be a home.  The question is to build or buy?  It may take a little longer, and require a little luck (not just Andrew) but building seems the better way to me. For better or worse, you get exactly what you thought you wanted. This is also the difference between having an integrated team, and just having a group of talented individuals (like Philly and Washington discovered in the past).

If you have the foundation to build on sure you can take your time building your team but if some teams don't have that option...their best bet is to take some chances and go for it. Will this all work out...who knows..but it makes sense. These are all NEEDS that they are addressing and changing a culture of toughness on that side of the ball. Nothing is going to cause them to not be able to sign their receivers and Miller in the next couple years so they should be fine.

The Colts offensive line is a complete joke. New England will make up for losing Edelman and Talib, they always do. Cincy will get out of the first round if they play the Colts. So would Baltimore and San Diego is much better. Do you forget that Reggie Wayne is an old man now and who knows what Allen and Ballard will bring or if they can stay on the field.

ACL injuries aren't what they used to be, and do you even know what Allen's injury was? Lol, so just write them off. Please give me reasons Baltimore and San Diego are much better... You can make a claim Cincinnati is better, although a weak one, but please give me reasons Baltimore and San Diego are better, besides "our offensive line sucks" because as of now, center is our only weak spot, and we do have an unproven player there who could be good or could be awful

Well with all the problems last year the colts still beat three of the best teams in the league including the current SB champs. So I don't think this team is as far off as you think they are.

ACL injuries aren't what they used to be, and do you even know what Allen's injury was? Lol, so just write them off. Please give me reasons Baltimore and San Diego are much better... You can make a claim Cincinnati is better, although a weak one, but please give me reasons Baltimore and San Diego are better, besides "our offensive line sucks" because as of now, center is our only weak spot, and we do have an unproven player there who could be good or could be awful

If he was any good, he would have played center last year. Both guards need to be replaced. Allen has his rookie year to look at and that is all. San Diego has a very good QB and they are a very good team. Baltimore is rebuilding their defense after the Super Bowl run and they will be good too. And I will tell you again that if that O-line is not reworked, the Colts will not be able to gain yards on the ground again or protect Luck. Not only does that not make them that good, it is a disaster waiting for a big hit to happen.

Well with all the problems last year the colts still beat three of the best teams in the league including the current SB champs. So I don't think this team is as far off as you think they are.

Yes, those were three very good games. There are three terrible losses to, Miami, San Diego and the Rams. Yes, it is a developing team that has about a two year window before Luck breaks the bank then a shot at the Super Bowl will be a very rare event as it is for teams.

If he was any good, he would have played center last year. Both guards need to be replaced. Allen has his rookie year to look at and that is all. San Diego has a very good QB and they are a very good team. Baltimore is rebuilding their defense after the Super Bowl run and they will be good too. And I will tell you again that if that O-line is not reworked, the Colts will not be able to gain yards on the ground again or protect Luck. Not only does that not make them that good, it is a disaster waiting for a big hit to happen.

On Holmes, no he was a rookie, so perhaps they didn't want to play him? Maybe he had trouble understanding the entire playbook? Not like either of those scenarios are unheard of. Both guards need replaced? Lol, yep im done with you, not even going to read any further, because Thornton improved and was a rookie, and Donald Thomas was a very good player before getting hurt

and for the record, not even the Ravens and Chargers fans I know think they are better than us lol

Bottom line is, we won 11 games last year, with a worse offensive line than what we have as of now so your point is invalid

Yes, those were three very good games. There are three terrible losses to, Miami, San Diego and the Rams. Yes, it is a developing team that has about a two year window before Luck breaks the bank then a shot at the Super Bowl will be a very rare event as it is for teams.

Wait, if we went 11-5 last season and made some good signings, but San Diego is apparently "Much better" than us, how is that a terrible loss? We should have expected it if what you say is to be believed

On Holmes, no he was a rookie, so perhaps they didn't want to play him? Maybe he had trouble understanding the entire playbook? Not like either of those scenarios are unheard of. Both guards need replaced? Lol, yep im done with you, not even going to read any further, because Thornton improved and was a rookie, and Donald Thomas was a very good player before getting hurt

and for the record, not even the Ravens and Chargers fans I know think they are better than us lol

Bottom line is, we won 11 games last year, with a worse offensive line than what we have as of now so your point is invalid

How was the offensive line worse? Nothing has been added yet. You need to do some reading and you will see that every expert in the country harped on the Colts fixing that O-line. It was horrible and it is still horrible.

How was the offensive line worse? Nothing has been added yet. You need to do some reading and you will see that every expert in the country harped on the Colts fixing that O-line. It was horrible and it is still horrible.

Really? We cut Satele... and every time he missed a game our line played noticeably better.. don't believe me? Go watch the games then. Not only that, but Donald Thomas will return from injury, who was our best guard, and probably our best offensive lineman behind Cherilus.

Not to mention that Thornton was only a rookie too, so there is a good chance he improves off his decent play to end the year last year

Yes, the experts say our line needs fixed, well more so the center spot does, but if you love those experts so much, not ONE said San Diego or Baltimore were better than us, not one

Wait, if we went 11-5 last season and made some good signings, but San Diego is apparently "Much better" than us, how is that a terrible loss? We should have expected it if what you say is to be believed

They will be better than the Colts again. The Colts went 11-5 because they play in the weakest division in the NFL. They were 6-0 in the division which means they were 5-5 outside of the division. They are not going to go 6-0 again and if they go 4-2, still very good, they have to go 7-3 outside the division to have the same record. I do not see it happening.

Really? We cut Satele... and every time he missed a game our line played noticeably better.. don't believe go? Go watch the games then. Not only that, but Donald Thomas will return from injury, who was our best guard, and probably our best offensive lineman behind Cherilus.

Not to mention that Thornton was only a rookie too, so there is a good chance he improves off his decent play to end the year last year

Then why did they keep playing Satele? Do you think the coach is an *? Thornton was a rookie, he may be better but he may not. Then keep that same offensive line and watch Houston with the division and you are begging to get Luck hurt.

They will be better than the Colts again. The Colts went 11-5 because they play in the weakest division in the NFL. They were 6-0 in the division which means they were 5-5 outside of the division. They are not going to go 6-0 again and if they go 4-2, still very good, they have to go 7-3 outside the division to have the same record. I do not see it happening.

We played Denver, Seattle, San Francisco, Arizona, Kansas City, San Diego, and Cincinnati... thats a rough out of division schedule... so why would we not improve on a 5-5 mark against those teams?

Then why did they keep playing Satele? Do you think the coach is an *? Thornton was a rookie, he may be better but he may not. Then keep that same offensive line and watch Houston with the division and you are begging to get Luck hurt.

Houston win the division? With the same offensive line? We don't have the same offensive line there bud... for about the 4th time, Satele, the weakest link to our line is gone, and Donald Thomas is back from injury... and Houston win the division? You have more faith in Houston than us? I dont even know how to respond to that

Well then what are the colts doing they haven't done a thing all day my bet is they will not think wait until every good fee agent is gone and then sign for a bunch of losers.

Houston win the division? With the same offensive line? We don't have the same offensive line there bud... for about the 4th time, Satele, the weakest link to our line is gone, and Donald Thomas is back from injury... and Houston win the division? You have more faith in Houston than us? I dont even know how to respond to that

Because Houston is going to draft Clowney and have one of the best and most disruptive defenses in the NFL. Clowney will free Watt to become even more disruptive than he already is as he reclaims he Defensive Player of the Year award. Player for player, the Texans are just better than the Colts. Put Andrew Luck on that team and they go to a Super Bowl. Yes, I think they will be right there with the Colts this year and if the Colts have significant injuries again, they could easily win the South.

We played Denver, Seattle, San Francisco, Arizona, Kansas City, San Diego, and Cincinnati... thats a rough out of division schedule... so why would we not improve on a 5-5 mark against those teams?

Because the Colts are just not as good as you think and you are the only human being in America that thinks that O-line is going to do the job.

Because Houston is going to draft Clowney and have one of the best and most disruptive defenses in the NFL. Clowney will free Watt to become even more disruptive than he already is as he reclaims he Defensive Player of the Year award. Player for player, the Texans are just better than the Colts. Put Andrew Luck on that team and they go to a Super Bowl. Yes, I think they will be right there with the Colts this year and if the Colts have significant injuries again, they could easily win the South.

When are you gonna stop pretending to be a Colts fan? Houston is not that good and if they draft Clowney it will be a huge mistake.

Oh, so basically Clowney, a player who has never taken a snap in the NFL in his life is going to turn around Houston? Oh lol I thought we were supposed to let them play at least one game before jumping to that conclusion

Well beating 3 of the best teams in the league was great but not getting to the big game is a disappointment and means we have problems and positions that need filled and the O line was one of the big problems so Luck can stay upright and have more time to throw the ball.

LOL @ Baltimore reference.

They haven't been relevant in the league for years now, save for their past super bowl win on a 10-6 season.

How can you claim its still horrible when we have not even seen the new line on the field yet?!?! Jumping conclusions maybe? I think you need to take a step back and put things in perspective. You do realize we had 15+ guys on IR last year don't you??? And 5 of those were on offense!!! And majority of the teams we lost to were contending for playoff spots, were they not??? I know Arizona was and Cincy got in. The teams we lost too were not slouch teams by any stretch just so your aware. We had a solid season despit our deifficiencies and Injuries. And to just assume and come out and say were gonna be worse and all these teams are gonna be better than us when there is no proof on the field yet is ridiculous! Your just rambling all your negativity which in large is off base.

LOL @ Baltimore reference.

They haven't been relevant in the league for years now, save for their past super bowl win on a 10-6 season.

Yeah, that is pretty irrelevant winning the SB... It doesn't matter what their record was, they beat the Colts and they beat Denver to get there. Good team.

Yeah, that is pretty irrelevant winning the SB... It doesn't matter what their record was, they beat the Colts and they beat Denver to get there. Good team.

Yeah, and they lost most of their good players from that team, yet you still claim they are better than us haha, their own fans don't even believe that