Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Report: Colts in talks for Alex Mack (mega-merge)

vitoaf27

• Replies 960
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But couldn't this be a win-win for Ravens? They put a big offer on the table for Mack, and then Browns either have to match and pay more dearly than they should or they lose him to a rival? I don't get it.

Yep, that's the risk you take I guess. Ozzie isn't going to put in some ridiculous offer that is going to string up his team though, he just signed Monroe and he has 100 million dollar QB. 

Because they didn't give him the franchise tag. Meaning they have reservations about paying him

Yeah they could match any deal, but they obviously have a limit.

This is a very interesting, and less discussed fact. There HAD to be a reason they didnt just Franchise him. They have a limit on the money they want to spend for that position.

I just want one person to explain a logical way for this to happen that the Browns wouldn't match. So far all these other theories in this thread are just nonsense and not realistic.

Just because they have used the transition tag does not mean they place an infinite value on the Center position. Basically, if the Colts get him, they grossly overpay...and given the deficiencies within our O-Line, that would not surprise me.

I just want one person to explain a logical way for this to happen that the Browns wouldn't match. So far all these other theories in this thread are just nonsense and not realistic.

Just because they have used the transition tag does not mean they place an infinite value on the Center position. Basically, if the Colts get him, they grossly overpay...and given the deficiencies within our O-Line, that would not surprise me.

how does the transition tag works? i mean if nobody offers him a contract, doe she play for 1 year for the browns? or how many years?

if someone offers him a contract, and browns propose a new one that has as much money as the other team does the play have any say? like i want that team even you are offering same/less money?

how does the transition tag works? i mean if nobody offers him a contract, doe she play for 1 year for the browns? or how many years?

if someone offers him a contract, and browns propose a new one that has as much money as the other team does the play have any say? like i want that team even you are offering same/less money?

If nobody offers him a contract, than he works out a deal with the Browns. If the Browns can't get a deal done, he plays for one year, 10 million. If someone offers him a contract and he signs, then Cleveland has the right to match. If Cleveland matches, then Mack is forced to stay there.

They used transition tag. They could have used franchise tag (which is only 2 million more i think?)

Why would they do that? They must have a set price for him and wont go up of that. they might also be bluffing other teams with what you just posted.

The Browns work out an under the radar deal with Evan Dietrich-Smith or Bryan de la Puenta while other teams make outrageous offers to Mack, and when the time comes they just decline to match the offer.   :dunno:

If nobody offers him a contract, than he works out a deal with the Browns. If the Browns can't get a deal done, he plays for one year, 10 million. If someone offers him a contract and he signs, then Cleveland has the right to match. If Cleveland matches, then Mack is forced to stay there.

so if I offer him 10 million 5 year  and the browns offer him 10 million 5 years he is forced to play with the browns 5 years? that sucks

There is no harm in the Colts offering an attractive offer for Mack. More than likely Browns match it... but perhaps they don't place enough  value in the position to pay him 8 million a year, or maybe they don't see the point in paying 8 million for a player that does not want to be there.

For a blue chip player like Mack, it's worth a shot.

Mack has to "sign" an offer from another team. 

Browns can match or let him go.

If those two don't happen, we can negotiate a contract or he can sign his tender.

His tender would be 1 year for $10 million.

If he signs his tender we can still try to negotiate a long term deal. 

Next year, if he isn't under contract we start it all over again or let him walk. 

This is a very interesting, and less discussed fact. There HAD to be a reason they didnt just Franchise him. They have a limit on the money they want to spend for that position.

It's simple, really. The franchise tag costs more, and it's more adversarial. If they gave him the FT it basically gives him no options. No team is going to give the Browns two 1st-round picks for a Center.

Giving him the transition tag lets him guage his value and opens up opportunities for him to at least explore other options, yet still give the Browns the ability to match - something Mack told them he would let them do all along.

Franchise Tag - adversarial and gives Mack no options

Transition Tag - allows Mack to do exactly what he said he wanted to do while still protecting the team's interests

I absolutely believe that the Colts are interested, they should be. The Ravens should be too, both teams need a center badly.

You have obviously never heard of former Colts legend AQ Shipley, who now plays for the Ravens.

I still don't see a realistic scenario. The only way I don't see Cleveland matching is if we offered somewhere in the 13 million dollar range and they won't do that. Anything much lower than that and Cleveland will match. They'd be fools not to.

I don't see how the Browns would keep him at a $20M cap hit this year.

I still don't see a realistic scenario. The only way I don't see Cleveland matching is if we offered somewhere in the 13 million dollar range and they won't do that. Anything much lower than that and Cleveland will match. They'd be fools not to.

I do a "Blind auction" fantasy draft every season. We have "restricted keepers" meaning, any other player can bid. Last year I kept Mike Stanton and someone bid $71 of his $300 cap on him, I told him he was foolish adn stuck him with the contract. Needless to say Stanton sucked last year. 

Very similar, we're gauging Mack's value, hopefully it comes back reasonable or lower than we expected. If someone gives him 12 million a year for 5 years, we are going to stick them with that bad contract, you can count on it. 

I do a "Blind auction" fantasy draft every season. We have "restricted keepers" meaning, any other player can bid. Last year I kept Mike Stanton and someone bid $71 of his $300 cap on him, I told him he was foolish adn stuck him with the contract. Needless to say Stanton sucked last year.

Very similar, we're gauging Mack's value, hopefully it comes back reasonable or lower than we expected. If someone gives him 12 million a year for 5 years, we are going to stick them with that bad contract, you can count on it.

We won't offer that much. That would be asinine. I'd love to have him, but if we offer anywhere near market value, he's staying in Cleveland.

Let's see - negotiate with Cleveland to over-pay for a Center. Get out butts handed to us, again.  Probably cost us next years first round draft pick like Richardson.  Or, sign EDS?  No brainer.

Let Mack end up playing quarterback for Cleveland ...

Let's see - negotiate with Cleveland to over-pay for a Center. Get out butts handed to us, again. Probably cost us next years first round draft pick. Or, sign EDS? No brainer.

you realize EDS would have to agree to it. You can't just assume he will play here because you want him to. I would rather have him at a reasonable rate as well, but it takes two

you realize EDS would have to agree to it. You can't just assume he will play here because you want him to. I would rather have him at a reasonable rate as well, but it takes two

Most cases it's money first approach

In need of agent!!! Now taking applications

Everyone keeps talking about this Alex Mack guy, whoever he is..

Some quick stats for you to show I'm more than qualified:

Position: Center

Height: 6 foot

Weight 230

Career games: 25

Career starts at Lucus oil Stadium: 2

Games played at LOS: 3

State runner up champ

post-15879-0-76687900-1394660560_thumb.j