Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Report: Colts in talks for Alex Mack (mega-merge)

vitoaf27

• Replies 960
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Question if Browns match any contract can he still sign his transition tender for the year does he have to sign the matched contract ? 

If the Browns match any offer given by any other team then Mack has to sign and play for the Browns

The colts could offer Mack 5yrs. 50 mil. which would be 10 mil per year. no way Cleveland would match that. Once he's a colt, we can restructure his contract more to our liking. mack would take 8 mil a year trust me. He wants out of cleveland

I would offer him a good contract and give the Browns our 2nd next season not to match it. I would probably even give them our second this year instead of next. We need some o-line help more then anything, and you can gamble in the draft or make a deal and sign a proven player.

Question if Browns match any contract can he still sign his transition tender for the year does he have to sign the matched contract ? 

I don't know for a fact but I would think the contract that he signed with another team and Cleveland matched would be the binding contract.

I would offer him a good contract and give the Browns our 2nd next season not to match it. I would probably even give them our second this year instead of next. We need some o-line help more then anything, and you can gamble in the draft or make a deal and sign a proven player.

I would be far more comfortable giving away next year's second.  Especially since we need help at safety, I would hate to wait until the late 3rd round to make a pick.

I don't know for a fact but I would think the contract that he signed with another team and Cleveland matched would be the binding contract.

It would yes. no restructuring if browns match. However deal could be in place where Mack would restructure with us but not with Cleveland in event they match it. HE wants out of cleveland

If the Browns match any offer given by any other team then Mack has to sign and play for the Browns

So it's very possible the Browns used the transition hoping to match a offer to lock him up long term since they could not reach a deal with him .

I feel the same way. It could be a huge udgrade for uor offensive, and if that gives us the possibility to keep us on field longer time and thick the clock, it will help our defense as well as they will be less worn-out. It would be a ballsy move - and I like it! :cheer2:

So it's very possible the Browns used the transition hoping to match a offer to lock him up long term since they could not reach a deal with him .

Yes and No. Cleveland didn't want a long term deal with him as he doesn't want one with Cleveland. This way Cleveland would only keep him for 10 mil if no one matched it and hed be free agent next year. Cleveland by keeping at 10 mil this year would be hopeful he would change his mind about wanting to be there and try to sign him long term. NOT gonna happen whether hes stays or not. he wants out of cleveland

They haven't used it yet, But lets say for example we offer him 12 mill for that 1st year the Browns would have to match that because thats more then the Transition Tag is, If we offer him the Transition tag amount or lower then he is going to be a Brown because the Browns can  and will match that

The colts could offer Mack 5yrs. 50 mil. which would be 10 mil per year. no way Cleveland would match that. Once he's a colt, we can restructure his contract more to our liking. mack would take 8 mil a year trust me. He wants out of cleveland

beater max 11.3  5 yrs. 56.5 mil.  do restructure  and no second round draft pick.

It's real easy. All he has to do is come out and say he wants out. If he keeps trying to be pc about staying in Cleveland than all they have to do is match whatever offer.

He can say that all he wants but that still wont matter, All they have to do is slap the tag on him

Even at 10 that would leave 7 mill for draft picks and such

It's real easy. All he has to do is come out and say he wants out. If he keeps trying to be pc about staying in Cleveland than all they have to do is match whatever offer.

Hes not gonna just walk away from 10 mil. He would make 10 mil this year either way, whether with us or browns. We can't restructure him this year so he would make 10 mil regardless. If colts choose to wait a year they run risk of getting into a FA war they can't afford to do.. Get it? Macks contract would have to be one that gave him 10 mil a year over time not just this year. Cleveland wont match that contract

so does that mean if the Colts offer Mack a 5 year contract, and the Browns matched that, we basically screw him into a long term stay with Cleveland?

He has to agree to the contract offered before Cleveland requirement to match kicks in.  Just a team offering a contract without Mack accepting doesn't mean anything.

Then you have a guy on your team that doesn't want to be on your team. Plus he'll be out the next year either way.

I didn't say it was wise but I dont think the Browns will be so willing to part with the best Center in the league

Now I'm really confused I though the transition tag is why they have the right to match any offer 

It is, But the Transition tag is a set amount(The transition tag guarantees the average of the top 10-highest-paid players at his position, and for offensive linemen, that’s $10.039 million). , If a team offers more then that amount (in that 1st year) and the Browns dont match that then Mack goes to the team that won that bid (In our example possibly the Colts).......But they have plenty ofcap space left to match just about any offer we make....So yes Mack was slapped with the tag 

They haven't used it yet, But lets say for example we offer him 12 mill for that 1st year the Browns would have to match that because thats more then the Transition Tag is, If we offer him the Transition tag amount or lower then he is going to be a Brown because the Browns can  and will match that

Hes not gonna just walk away from 10 mil. He would make 10 mil this year either way, whether with us or browns. We can't restructure him this year so he would make 10 mil regardless. If colts choose to wait a year they run risk of getting into a FA war they can't afford to do.. Get it? Macks contract would have to be one that gave him 10 mil a year over time not just this year. Cleveland wont match that contract

While the contract may very well end up being averaging $10 mil/yr, I think it is incorrect to assume that he has to get 10 million in the first year to get him and/or keep the Browns from matching.  IMO the overall contract and the guaranteed money is going to play into it much more than what the 1st year contract number is.

True.

How about this for a "legal poison pill." Give Mack the option of getting out of the deal after year 1. The Colts would have to trust that Mack wouldn't take his bonus and run on them. Pretty nasty ... just a thought.

But if they REALLY valued him, to the point where they refuse to lose him, it would have been the franchise tag, not transition tag.

True, but they don't value him that much.And, they're banking on other teams not doings so either.  Mack is already guaranteed just over 10 million next year.  The highest paid center in the NFL only makes 8 million / year.  The new regime has shown they value him, without using the franchise tag.  This way Mack can see test market, and another team sets the price/worth level.  So even if nothing gets done, the new regime is hoping to be able to come to terms long term with him.  Or, another team does make an offer, and the Browns feel it is a fair contract and executes a matching offer.  Then Mack is locked in with the Browns for the duration of that contract.  And the Browns didn't set/negotiate it, the players agent and another team did.

Now if no contract is offered, then Mack will get his guaranteed 10 million in 17 evenly divided game day checks and become a FA.  If Browns tag him again, the cost will be on the order of 12 million.  That's 22 million over two years for a center!!  That's elite Left Tackle  money!  Not center salary.

So, yea, Brown have shown him they value him, and yes, it appears there will be limits they won go beyond as well. Where those are who, if anyone will cross them, is yet to be determined. And I'm not certain Mack's agent will take too kindly to reduce Mack's (and thus his own) salary once a new deal is struck.

I didn't say it was wise but I dont think the Browns will be so willing to part with the best Center in the league

Question: Is he the best center in the league? I was wondering who was after reading an article about Mack potentially being the highest paid... and I thought, if he is the best center in the league then being the highest paid center makes perfect sense.