Indianapolis Colts

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

unitaswestand

Fairy Tale Silver Lining To All Of This

First of all, I HATE seeing the Colts lose. I have been a Colts fan since 1975 when I was a little kid. I have watched every game they have played since NFL Ticket was introduced. So by no means do I want to see them lose another game.

So I am looking for a silver lining to all of this and I came up with this. Let's pretend Peyton has playing this year with all the other factors being the same. Same injuries. Same defensive problems. My guess is the Colts would be probably 5-3 right now. Peyton would pay well enough to somehow get them into the playoffs, but the poor defensive play would ultimately cost them in the playoffs.

Now lets look at what is likely going to happen. The Colts, without Peyton, are going to have likely a Top 4 pick, if not the #1. If they have the #1 pick and Peyton is healthy, which I completely expect him to be, they will trade that pick to a team like Miami who also has a very night pick for a bonanza of picks. Since this is all make believe, lets say the Colts trade the #1 pick to Miami for their #1 pick, which is a top 5, and their #1 pick next year. Now the Colts have the ability of picking two blue chip players in the next two drafts, plus their own #1 in 2013. I think Justin Blackmon would be the pick in 2012 with the pick obtained from Miami and he woudl become the next great Colt receiver. With their high #2, the pick a cornerback. So in 2012 we are looking at Peyton Manning being back, a much improved offensive line and running attack, his same weapons plus Blackmon, and hopefully a new defensive coordinator running a more base 4-3 zone or bump and run. I don't think it is too far fetched to say the Colts are Super Bowl contenders. After all, this is essentially the same team that made the Super Bowl two seasons back who couldn't run. And in 2013 we have have Miami's top 10 pick as well, and we get a stud cornerback.

I know, I know, this is all speculation. But after the Colts win the Super Bowl in 2013 and 2014, we will look back and say "If we didn't have that down year, we would have never gotten those blue chip players and the coaching staff changed to get us to this level". At least that is my hope. Again, it sucks. I will be pulling for my beloved Colts to go 8-8 this year, but as things are going, it doesn't seem likely. So I have to find that silver lining.

Good post again and I second that I would love to see this happen. We won't know for a while but keeping fingers crossed for a good outcome for Peyton and the Colts.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Thread of the Week

• Topics

• I haven’t changed my mind of anything. Sometimes when you look back on things you can have a different perspective. Changing my mind no.
    • Exactly.   Coaches are going to play it close-to-the-vest because that's what has worked.  From Lombardi, to Noll, to Walsh, to Jimmy Johnson, to Belichick, to any coach coaching today.  They're going to "play the game" with what they say, because that's how it has to be played.   You can call it "easy" or "lazy", but ask yourself this:  no coach has had as much success as Belichick has had over the last two decades... as in, like EVER.  No coach has won 6 s.  Yet, he still spits the same media-friendly (un-friendly depending on your stance) rhetoric... WHY?  Why doesn't Belichick just start speaking his mind the way you think he should?  He's earned the right, right?   It's because calling things "honestly" to the media just doesn't work.  Ask any successful athlete or coach in any major sport.  You speak differently to the media than you do to your teammates.  We're not privileged enough to hear those words because we're not part of the team.  Simple as that.  
    • I won't tell as long you don't tell people that just because a team won does not mean the QB was playing well.   Personally, I have no problem if Rivers throws for 200 yards and the Colts win.  because I know that Rovers can throw for 300 or 400 yards if needed to win the game.  The guy he replaced did not provide that same confidence.
    • My response was that you have to look past coachspeak and that Reich specifically is not alone in doing that.  He's basically just like everyone else in that regard.   To your point...  I think there's room to be more genuine about it than coaches are in this current and touchy-feely era.  Probably the most glaring this offseason was Gurley and the Rams played it that way to avoid negative press.  But they've been covering for him and denying the reality for a while now, that they made a grievous error paying him early.  Teams have taken notice too and RB contracts will inevitably follow.  But in the way it was done I think it would have been ok to say what the problem was (they never really did that and are one of the more tight-lipped teams in that way).  It would have been ok to say he wasn't happy with carries and/or whatever his physical ailment was (I followed this situation closely btw and he cost me a fantasy championship).   It's just the easy route, the lazy route IMO, to resort to talking guys up while on the other hand the business move tells a whole different story.  But the NFL is a copycat league so at some point a head coach may come along who will do that while sustaining wins and next thing you know there would be a new group of guys calling it honestly.
  • Members

• PrincetonTiger

PrincetonTiger 10,341

• Dogg63

Dogg63 433

• WoolMagnet

WoolMagnet 4,627

• Flash7

Flash7 2,622

• Nesjan3

Nesjan3 1,053

• 07dleigh