Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Aqib Talib to Broncos [Merge]

HtownColt

the team will be a dumpster fire once he does though. 

will have so many big contracts on the books.

I don't see anyone in the AFC passing them anytime soon especially now. Peytons obviously near the end of his career and the Broncos are winning now. I would give up a couple rebuilding years for a SB than settle for four years of playoff loses any day.

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see anyone in the AFC passing them anytime soon especially now. Peytons obviously near the end of his career and the Broncos are winning now. I would give up a couple rebuilding years for a SB than settle for four years of playoff loses any day.

Peyton is 2 years into a 5-year contract. I wouldn't worry about 2017

You never know who you'll face in the SB...I cant guess....

...but the O-line was good..one game doesn't negate 18..

....To say their line was shaky is revisionist history..and they have a 1st-team all-pro LT returning.....

... I agree about LB..its a hole..and they need either Ware or Jared Allen..

But talk about 'building the monster'

Lets not forget that they did not play KC until the last half of the season. That's the only defense that I can see that had some credibility to give them trouble if  they played earlier in the season when KC D was steam rolling people it would have been a different story.

The issue with this contract is the length and guarentees...wow...they are CONVINCED in him...I'm not sure I'm that convinced he can stay on the field with his issues but when he is....wow he is a difference maker.

Revis will get top dollar...it will just be about going to a team that HE chooses. NE I'm not sure can afford him but if they wanted him bad enough to make room for him....I don't think he would have a problem playing for Bill.

Thing is their window is about as big as yours with Brady. Lets be honest...without Brady...NE is 7-9 at best. Its the same window essentially for both teams. I agree they will target those areas...they just need to hit on some secondary guys...been awhile for them...lbs/ol they have been great...but secondary....mehh.

7-9? Forget about the season when Brady was out the whole year and still went 11-5?

Again, NE employs a good system where all players have a chance to succeed. 

Nate Irving and Danny Travathen aren't exactly old...they may not be elite but they cover alright...they just need a in the box mlb really.

dg......I hear you but

Nate irving is actually a backup...who was forced into play....Trevethan is good and fast....agreed....but they were starting Paris Lenon in the Super Bowl and he's older than Angie Dickinson

Lets not forget that they did not play KC until the last half of the season. That's the only defense that I can see that had some credibility to give them trouble if  they played earlier in the season when KC D was steam rolling people it would have been a different story.

They play the NFC West this year....they will get plenty of testing...and if anything I think that sharpens them for playoff football...so we will just see...I don't think they have nearly the issues that you do...no OL is perfect..but I think the combination of their very good OL and Peytons quick release will fair ok.

revisionist history..

I remember how KC had the No.1 defense in the NFL when they came to Denver./.

Also I would not call our LB's great.
Spikes - Terrible at coverage

Dont'a Hightower - Terrible at coverage

Mayo - Mediocre at coverage.

I wouldn't call our LB crew great.

The only player that I see good in that LB position is Collins, but it's too early to tell, he only played few games at the end of the season, I will hold my judgement about him once I see him play the whole season.

Our D-Line is terrible, Jones & Ninkovich are not cut out to be 2 hands down DE's. I think Ninkovich will do a better job at LB than Hightower honestly. As far as Jones, I think we need to have him stand up more and become a full time pass rusher, just like Matthews in GB.

dg......I hear you but

Nate irving is actually a backup...who was forced into play....Trevethan is good and fast....agreed....but they were starting Paris Lenon in the Super Bowl and he's older than Angie Dickinson

Oh I know...but Irving played ok....he isn't a pro bowler I know but he wasn't a liability...they will address it I'm sure...Lenon and Woodyard are gone...but we see plenty of mid-level LBs in free agency and I think if they made it a priority a lb early in the draft could come in and play right away...we've seen that before.

Also I would not call our LB's great.

Spikes - Terrible at coverage

Dont'a Hightower - Terrible at coverage

Mayo - Mediocre at coverage.

I wouldn't call our LB crew great.

The only player that I see good in that LB position is Collins, but it's too early to tell, he only played few games at the end of the season, I will hold my judgement about him once I see him play the whole season.

Our D-Line is terrible, Jones & Ninkovich are not cut out to be 2 hands down DE's. I think Ninkovich will do a better job at LB than Hightower honestly. As far as Jones, I think we need to have him stand up more and become a full time pass rusher, just like Matthews in GB.

Wow...if only NE was as bad as you make your team out to be lol...they all have their plus and minuses...and Bill puts them in position to do what they do best...I think your being a bit critical...especially Mayo...and few MLBs like Spikes are GOOD at coverage....I still think Bill has done a better job drafting those positions DL/OL than secondary...and its clear secondary will be a priority.

Wow...if only NE was as bad as you make your team out to be lol...they all have their plus and minuses...and Bill puts them in position to do what they do best...I think your being a bit critical...especially Mayo...and few MLBs like Spikes are GOOD at coverage....I still think Bill has done a better job drafting those positions DL/OL than secondary...and its clear secondary will be a priority.

I watched all of their games since I've been subscribing for ST for many years.

I am not saying that as a team we are terrible, we do fairly okay, but looking at each individual player and how they perform, I've seen them getting burned multiple times in coverage. Mayo less, but the other two are just not good. Spikes day in NE is over anyways, I see Mayo coming back as MLB and Collins taking over the Mayo role as an outside linebacker.

Back to topic, I don't want to hijack this thread, I think Talib got a good deal, I am sure he is happy and set for life now.

The only two question mark is his off-field troubles and if he can stay healthy the whole season, unfortunately for NE he has not been healthy the last 2 years. 

I think Broncos should use Talib sparingly if they have their division on lock by week 12.

I watched all of their games since I've been subscribing for ST for many years.

I am not saying that as a team we are terrible, we do fairly okay, but looking at each individual player and how they perform, I've seen them getting burned multiple times in coverage. Mayo less, but the other two are just not good. Spikes day in NE is over anyways, I see Mayo coming back as MLB and Collins taking over the Mayo role as an outside linebacker.

Back to topic, I don't want to hijack this thread, I think Talib got a good deal, I am sure he is happy and set for life now.

The only two question mark is his off-field troubles and if he can stay healthy the whole season, unfortunately for NE he has not been healthy the last 2 years. 

I think Broncos should use Talib sparingly if they have their division on lock by week 12.

Oh I agree he has question marks...especially 6 yrs....but I think he will bring an attitude to their team and confidence....I don't think Broncos were ever really really sure of DRC...like holding their breath the whole time. Talib is hands down shut down type guy. Its a lot...but he is an impact player.

The Patriots seem like they may very well have a DOWN year this year?

I'm not counting on it. Still fully expect them to be right there in the midst of things. They still have Brady, so they have a chance. Plus I'm willing to be they will have a solid draft.

Oh I agree he has question marks...especially 6 yrs....but I think he will bring an attitude to their team and confidence....I don't think Broncos were ever really really sure of DRC...like holding their breath the whole time. Talib is hands down shut down type guy. Its a lot...but he is an impact player.

Talib will never see the 5th and 6th years of this deal...even he probably knows that..

Well I wouldn't want DRC in a Patriot uniform if he keeps talking about retirement...that to you shows his mind is not into football anymore.

Talib is a versatile player, who can play anybody, very few cornerbacks can cover tight ends, mainly because of their size and strength. Talib has long arms and the size to cover players like Jimmy Graham. 

By that week both Hali & Justin Houston were playing hurt.

...and they had 9 other starters on the No.1 defense in the NFL and Denver beat them twice in 3 weeks..

...KC was undefeated with the No.1 defense in the NFL when Denver played them..

..lets stay in the real world

Talib will never see the 5th and 6th years of this deal...even he probably knows that..

Yup, that's what I think too, I highly doubt that. 

But he will be an "it" factor for that D-coverage for the next 2-3 years for sure.

With that said, both SD & KC have been very quiet this off season, who knows what they are up to.

Well it does seem like NE is going to visit with Revis....its like anything you can do I can do better...but if they land him that will be huge for what Bill does...they will have to rely heavily on the draft but one thing is certain....Tom will win his division next year and likely we will see Colts, Broncos, and Patriots in the playoffs again.

Yup, that's what I think too, I highly doubt that. 

But he will be an "it" factor for that D-coverage for the next 2-3 years for sure.

With that said, both SD & KC have been very quiet this off season, who knows what they are up to.

That's a good point..

There's a half dozen TV networks that cover sports and 1,000 sports talk radio stations..

...and nobody saw Talib to Denver coming...nobody???

How do you negotiate a major deal with a major free agent and nobody finds out and leaks it?

Well the reason nobody saw Denver landing Talib is most likely because of the cap, but somehow Denver made it work.

Talib last year put Jimmy Graham in a witness protection program.

I assumed he would stay put, but sometime money is more important... or he really wanted to be in the mile high city. New England's penchant for pinching pennies was bound to catch up to them a time, or two.

What good would that do him now?

Vermer is a cover 2 CB , while the 4 CB's that got the better contracts excel at press coverage. The later is way more valuable as you have a chance to take the opp's best WR out with single coverage. 

Good for Talib but that is a monster contract from Denver for a guy that has been injured a lot with off-field issues. Surprised Denver just didn't sign their own guy.

Expect the Pats to target Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Antonio Cromartie,Walter Thurmond and Revis.

Talib vs Gronk, will be interesting when the Pats play the Broncos.

Pats fans must now really hate Peyton and Elway, last year with Welker and this year with Talib.

To be honest, I'm not a fan of the Broncos either right now. I just want new faces from the AFC, not named Brady or Peyton and hopefully it is our young gun Luck :)

Their D's numbers in 2012 were better than in 2013, mainly due to Von Miller and Dumervil plus Champ playing better earlier in the season along with Tracy Porter and Chris Harris. They need those man CBs outside for Jack Del Rio to play different coverages underneath, that is when that scheme is most effective and when those man CBs are good, teams always exploited their safeties, which is why T.J.Ward comes in.

Talib vs Gronk, will be interesting when the Pats play the Broncos.

Pats fans must now really hate Peyton and Elway, last year with Welker and this year with Talib.

To be honest, I'm not a fan of the Broncos either right now. I just want new faces from the AFC, not named Brady or Peyton and hopefully it is our young gun Luck :)

I have always hated Denver and Elway. Now just more reasons to dislike them. Gronk will school Talib, that is if Talib is even on the field as Welker could take him out in practice. lol. ;)

I have always hated Denver and Elway. Now just more reasons to dislike them. Gronk will school Talib, that is if Talib is even on the field as Welker could take him out in practice. lol. ;)

To be honest, if they do not land a pass rusher, just getting Talib will not work, IMO.

Good for Talib but that is a monster contract from Denver for a guy that has been injured a lot with off-field issues. Surprised Denver just didn't sign their own guy.

Expect the Pats to target Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Antonio Cromartie,Walter Thurmond and Revis.

Ouch !

Ouch !

What are you going to do. Unlike Welker last year, this contract was a monster from Denver that no one was going to match. Part of the business and you move on. Still some quality CBs out there for a lot cheaper. They need a pass rusher too. Hoping they land either Ware or Allen pending their trips to Denver.

To be honest, if they do not land a pass rusher, just getting Talib will not work, IMO.

I dunno. Talib allowed the front 7 to play more aggressive because of his coverage skills and physicality. He was a key piece to them remaining a solid unit but there are other CBs for them to get to replace him. I do hope they land another pass rusher too as you can never have enough of those guys.

Talib is a hell of a player, but he gets hurt frequently, has the reputation of being a head case, and has been suspended. Way to much guaranteed money for someone with that many red flags. When Peyton retires that team will be in salary cap hell. 

To me, Talib is 28 years old and this is basically a 2 yr. $26 mil. guaranteed deal. Once he hits 30, I expect the wheels to come crashing. Fans should just treat it like a 2 yr. deal, IMO.