Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Arthur Jones contract details

Superman

Everyone knows it's five years, $33m, right? Well, it is. Here's the skinny, per Spotrac: http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/indianapolis-colts/arthur-jones/

Signing bonus of $5.5m, total guaranteed money is $10m, and it's all contained in Year 1 ($5.5m signing bonus + $4.5m base salary). His cap hits are $5.6m, $7.1m, $5.6m, $7.35m, $7.35m. If we release him after Year 1, we have a $4.4m cap penalty, release after Year 2, $3.3m, and so on, reducing the penalty by $1.1m each season.

I read earlier today that his contract actually includes $16m guaranteed. It's possible that his Year 2 base salary of $6m is guaranteed as well, or it might go guaranteed at the start of the next league year. We'll see if further details come out.

In all, this is a pretty good contract. A little high on yearly average, but the signing bonus is reasonable, making any potential release in the future not too painful. Jones was probably the best 3-4 DE/DT on the market, and he's getting paid like it. But his position is proving to be a reasonable one for free agent acquisitions, in comparison with offensive linemen, for instance.

So, I'm in favor. Definitely a good player, and while we got him for B+ money, it's a fair contract structure.

Well structured, but he has to prove that he's worth it.

I like him, and he played well last year. 

I think it's a fair contract, given this year's market. Whether he proves to be worth it in the future is a different story, but he's at a good age, has had multiple good years under his belt already, and is a great system fit.

I think it's a fair contract, given this year's market. Whether he proves to be worth it in the future is a different story, but he's at a good age, has had multiple good years under his belt already, and is a great system fit.

Yeah, it's a perfect fit.

Everyone knows it's five years, $33m, right? Well, it is. Here's the skinny, per Spotrac: http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/indianapolis-colts/arthur-jones/

Signing bonus of $5.5m, total guaranteed money is $10m, and it's all contained in Year 1 ($5.5m signing bonus + $4.5m base salary). His cap hits are $5.6m, $7.1m, $5.6m, $7.35m, $7.35m. If we release him after Year 1, we have a $4.4m cap penalty, release after Year 2, $3.3m, and so on, reducing the penalty by $1.1m each season.

I read earlier today that his contract actually includes $16m guaranteed. It's possible that his Year 2 base salary of $6m is guaranteed as well, or it might go guaranteed at the start of the next league year. We'll see if further details come out.

In all, this is a pretty good contract. A little high on yearly average, but the signing bonus is reasonable, making any potential release in the future not too painful. Jones was probably the best 3-4 DE/DT on the market, and he's getting paid like it. But his position is proving to be a reasonable one for free agent acquisitions, in comparison with offensive linemen, for instance.

So, I'm in favor. Definitely a good player, and while we got him for B+ money, it's a fair contract structure.

Sometimes you sign a guy and you HAVE to take a chance that your not going to cut him. You can't protect yourself in EVERY contract..especially with a more proven commodity like Arthur. He has a track record unlike some other Grigson signings and I'm sure we are confident he will earn his contract. He was a key addition because he will really help the run game and produce a push in the pass rush. To me this was a very good signing and a decent contract. It wasn't the value Denver got with Ward but I think the Pagano affect helps us with some of these guys...and even though I love our coach sometimes I feel his biggest asset is in getting these free agents more so than his coaching ability...and thats ok too lol.

Sometimes you sign a guy and you HAVE to take a chance that your not going to cut him. You can't protect yourself in EVERY contract..especially with a more proven commodity like Arthur. He has a track record unlike some other Grigson signings and I'm sure we are confident he will earn his contract. He was a key addition because he will really help the run game and produce a push in the pass rush. To me this was a very good signing and a decent contract. It wasn't the value Denver got with Ward but I think the Pagano affect helps us with some of these guys...and even though I love our coach sometimes I feel his biggest asset is in getting these free agents more so than his coaching ability...and thats ok too lol.

I don't think the signing bonus is a problem, really. It's a little more than we're used to, but it's less than Cherilus and Landry got last year. It's only a couple million more than Satele got two years ago, if you can believe that. I bet Linval Joseph's signing bonus winds up being bigger. And when you look at the cap penalties that some teams are dealing with from cuts this year, $1.1m for each remaining year isn't a big deal.

Those cap hits are the bonuses spread out over life of contract?  It's only the guaranteed money that counts against the cap correct?  Not the yearly salary (if he's released I mean).

If released after year 1, we take the entire signing bonus hit in one year?  I thought it had to remain spread out over the life of the contract no matter when he's released?

If he's released after one year, then it's just a one year contract. But the cap penalty hits in Year 2, and it would be $4.4m (assuming there's no additional guaranteed money). 

There are other little nuances, but based on what's been reported, if he's released after 2014, his cap penalty in 2015 would be $4.4m

I like Art, good pick up for the Colts, but another Raven's defensive player getting big money elsewhere, but will probably not have the same effectiveness as in the Raven's system.

correct me if I'm wrong, isn't it the same system?

correct me if I'm wrong, isn't it the same system?

Ray Lewis is retired, Ed Reed is gone, Terrell Suggs is slowing down... That Ravens' defensive system isn't what it once was. Arthur Jones was probably the second best player on their defensive front last year. It's not like he was just along for the ride.

If he's released after one year, then it's just a one year contract. But the cap penalty hits in Year 2, and it would be $4.4m (assuming there's no additional guaranteed money). 

There are other little nuances, but based on what's been reported, if he's released after 2014, his cap penalty in 2015 would be $4.4m

Ok, thanks.

Ray Lewis is retired, Ed Reed is gone, Terrell Suggs is slowing down... That Ravens' defensive system isn't what it once was. Arthur Jones was probably the second best player on their defensive front last year. It's not like he was just along for the ride.

In all seriousness , Art is a good player, but I wonder if he's another Kruger or Bart Scott. Grigson and Pagano are going down the Rex Ryan road signing ex- Ravens at very high prices. He is a good player , but the Ravens have DeAngelo Tyson and Lewis -Moore ready to replace him, at a better price. They resigned Eugene Monroe at a great price today, and got Pitta way below what some thought. Next will be Darryl Smith. I'm not saying it's a bad signing for the Colts because you are getting a high character guy and good player , but teams tend to overpay for Raven 's defensive players like Ellerbe, the guys listed above, Adalius Thomas, and on and on. When the Ravens expose some of these players, many times it is because they have exceeded their value, or we have compatible players at lower cost to spend elsewhere

Grigson and Pagano are going down the Rex Ryan road signing ex- Ravens at very high prices.

ummm.....  Arthur "Big Bones" Jones, Cory Redding, and Zibikowski.  Zibikowski was cut from a cheap contract, Redding was signed to a good contract, and Art was signed today.

We only have 2 ex-Ravens on our current roster.  

ummm..... Arthur "Big Bones" Jones, Cory Redding, and Zibikowski. Zibikowski was cut from a cheap contract, Redding was signed to a good contract, and Art was signed today.

We only have 2 ex-Ravens on our current roster.

Three defensive players and your head coach. I see a trend.

In all seriousness , Art is a good player, but I wonder if he's another Kruger or Bart Scott. Grigson and Pagano are going down the Rex Ryan road signing ex- Ravens at very high prices. He is a good player , but the Ravens have DeAngelo Tyson and Lewis -Moore ready to replace him, at a better price. They resigned Eugene Monroe at a great price today, and got Pitta way below what some thought. Next will be Darryl Smith. I'm not saying it's a bad signing for the Colts because you are getting a high character guy and good player , but teams tend to overpay for Raven 's defensive players like Ellerbe, the guys listed above, Adalius Thomas, and on and on. When the Ravens expose some of these players, many times it is because they have exceeded their value, or we have compatible players at lower cost to spend elsewhere

I hear what your saying but it's pretty tough for a guy like Jones to be a product of the system. Pretty easy to see if a guy can stuff the run and push the pocket. Guys like Thomas and Ellerbe most likely benefited from strong line play. Kruger had 5-6 games where he beat some crappy RT's and piled up a dozen or so sacks. Just not the same risk with Jones IMO.

Monroe I think was talked up a lot by the media. Hard to believe if he was that great that the Jags wouldn't have somehow locked him up. I think similar to Jared Veldheer. Everywhere I read , this guy was stellar. Oakland lets him walk for around that same 7 mill price and then signs Safford to a larger contract. Pitta received about what he deserved IMO.

I hear what your saying but it's pretty tough for a guy like Jones to be a product of the system. Pretty easy to see if a guy can stuff the run and push the pocket. Guys like Thomas and Ellerbe most likely benefited from strong line play. Kruger had 5-6 games where he beat some crappy RT's and piled up a dozen or so sacks. Just not the same risk with Jones IMO.

Monroe I think was talked up a lot by the media. Hard to believe if he was that great that the Jags wouldn't have somehow locked him up. I think similar to Jared Veldheer. Everywhere I read , this guy was stellar. Oakland lets him walk for around that same 7 mill price and then signs Safford to a larger contract. Pitta received about what he deserved IMO.

Again, I think Art is a good pick up, and he will do well , but my point was most of these guys seem to peak with the Ravens , get big money elsewhere, and rarely make it through one contract. Sounds like the Colts have that covered, though. Agree about Monroe, but we got him relatively cheap, and it wasn't a wasted fourth and fifth round pick. We will get compensatory picks anyway in those rounds for Kruger and Ellerbe.

C'mon , you know former defensive co -ordinators like their old players. Weak comment.

now that is a normal comment.

turning that thought into "Grigson and Pagano are going down the Rex Ryan road signing ex- Ravens at very high prices."  was kinda trollish.

now that is a normal comment.

turning that thought into "Grigson and Pagano are going down the Rex Ryan road signing ex- Ravens at very high prices." was kinda trollish.

Rex did overpay for ex Ravens like Bart Scott and Jim Leonard. We will see how this one works out. Art is a good player and a high character guy, but he was a rotational guy in Baltimore like Kruger. It's a good signing, but I question the money, similar to Kruger and Ellerbe.

Again, I think Art is a good pick up, and he will do well , but my point was most of these guys seem to peak with the Ravens , get big money elsewhere, and rarely make it through one contract. Sounds like the Colts have that covered, though. Agree about Monroe, but we got him relatively cheap, and it wasn't a wasted fourth and fifth round pick. We will get compensatory picks anyway in those rounds for Kruger and Ellerbe.

No doubt Balt has handled the cap and personnel moves well through the years. No only glitch was getting backed into a corner and over paying so badly for Flacco.

Rex did overpay for ex Ravens like Bart Scott and Jim Leonard. We will see how this one works out. Art is a good player and a high character guy, but he was a rotational guy in Baltimore like Kruger. It's a good signing, but I question the money, similar to Kruger and Ellerbe.

The Jets signed Jim Leonard for three years, $6m. That's not even close to overpaying. 

Bart Scott was a leader on that defense right away, helping them become one of the very best units in football for two or three years. Maybe a bit  high, but it's not like Scott wasn't a good player for the Jets. No comparison to Ellerbe, for instance.

No doubt Balt has handled the cap and personnel moves well through the years. No only glitch was getting backed into a corner and over paying so badly for Flacco.

Yes, Flacco had all the leverage after the Super Bowl win, no doubt. That deal had to be rushed through before they could sign anyone. It was a very unusual circumstance.

It's not like any of these ex -Ravens players totally bombed, but they were never quite as effective as they were with the Ravens. Bart Scott looked better because he played beside Ray Lewis, Jim Leonard looked better because he played beside Ed Reed, and Art looked better playing with Ngata , Suggs, and Dumervil. I liked your signing and I'm glad Art got his money somewhere, but I'm not convinced he's worth the contract he got, maybe slightly below that. Anyway, you guys had the cap money and you picked up a quality guy. You could have done far worse elsewhere.

The Jets signed Jim Leonard for three years, $6m. That's not even close to overpaying.

Bart Scott was a leader on that defense right away, helping them become one of the very best units in football for two or three years. Maybe a bit high, but it's not like Scott wasn't a good player for the Jets. No comparison to Ellerbe, for instance.