Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Safety options?

BlueCollarColts

I'd like Jimmie Ward in the 3rd. He's one inch shorter and a little lighter than Dion Bailey but has even better pass coverage skills and better production.

I see Ward as more of a nickel back, Alot of his production comes from that spot

What's some if the better ball hawk S in the draft? I don't know any

Both Ward and Bailey have 11 picks, Bailey can also come up and play the run(Better)......He was just as versatile as Ward in college, Ward also played in 47 games in college to Baileys 29......Bailey had more tackles for loss

Champ Bailey

I'm on the Champ Bailey for Safety bandwagon as well.  Sign him to a two year deal and then draft Ahmed Dixon of Baylor, Dion Bailey (USC), Terrence Brooks (FSU) or Ed Reynolds (Stanford).  From what I've read, all seem to have the combination of coverage ability and supporting the run to play either type of role. 

Both Ward and Bailey have 11 picks, Bailey can also come up and play the run(Better)......He was just as versatile as Ward in college, Ward also played in 47 games in college to Baileys 29......Bailey had more tackles for loss

I didn't really like Bailey's 40 time at the combine.  Reading that it was a 4.66.  Not the speed you need to cover guys in the slot.

Who do you think our options are at safety, which between it and center, are our only 2 positions of need? Byrd, and Clemons are 2 names that come to mind for me

Champ Bailey Project anyone? he has said he would be willing to Switch to safety. Some of the greats have been able to make that transition and make huge impacts. Some of the names that come to mind Primetime, Charles & Rod Woodson. 

I didn't really like Bailey's 40 time at the combine.  Reading that it was a 4.66.  Not the speed you need to cover guys in the slot.

Have you ever watched him cover guys in the slot? He actually excels at it, regardless of his unimpressive 40 time. 

On a related note, USC's pro day is today. He might improve on that time.

no thanks, he'd get burned more than Bethea. 

Champ Bailey still has speed, i highly doubt he will get burned playing some 15-20 yards back off the LOS at the safety position. At CB possibly as he is in a Receivers face but not when he has time to read and react. 

Have you ever watched him cover guys in the slot? He actually excels at it, regardless of his unimpressive 40 time. 

On a related note, USC's pro day is today. He might improve on that time.

Just read that he didn't even run it.  Don't know why he wouldn't want to try ti improve on his time.

For what it's worth,  Bailey didn't play much safety in college.   One year, I think....

He was forced to play linebacker because of severe roster restraints due to NCAA sanctions on USC....

So, while Bailey played safety in HS,  his time of playing the position in college was limited.

I'm not trying to say Bailey can't play safety in the NFL -- he can and will.   It's his natural position.

Only trying to explain why his numbers might not be the same as Webb's...    also, I think Bailey played one less season than Webb.

For what it's worth,  Bailey didn't play much safety in college.   One year, I think....

He was forced to play linebacker because of severe roster restraints due to NCAA sanctions on USC....

So, while Bailey played safety in HS,  his time of playing the position in college was limited.

I'm not trying to say Bailey can't play safety in the NFL -- he can and will.   It's his natural position.

Only trying to explain why his numbers might not be the same as Webb's...    also, I think Bailey played one less season than Webb.

Ward you mean? Yeah Bailey played 1 less season

Patrick Chung is out there. Many on this board were high on him last year.

i wanted him for cheap but before we had Landry.

Decoud had a bad year but whatever, he's still a good cover man and I'd forgotten about him. Sign me (and him) up!

Ed Reed :yay: and sign a rookie?? Clemmons makes the most sense but to me he isn't a FS and would only be a stop gap signing....and that could be what we do. Slim pickings.

Not a Free safety..? What do you see quarterback in his future? He's a great cover man straight up.

So is there someone of Bethea's talent level in the draft that we can acquire? If not I'll ask again, did the Colts take a significant step back and downgrade at the position?

There is Safeties in this draft that we have a chance to get that are way more talented

There is Safeties in this draft that we have a chance to get that are way more talented

Awesome, thank you.  I was really hoping this was not a downgrade and that the Colts were getting worse because we can't afford to get worse, we aren't even a top tier team yet.

Awesome, thank you.  I was really hoping this was not a downgrade and that the Colts were getting worse because we can't afford to get worse, we aren't even a top tier team yet.

Don't get me wrong with what I'm about to write. Because I really like Bethea. He was a great Colt for 8 years. When he came in he stepped right in and solidified a position that had been awful for the Colts prior to his arrival. He was a 6th round draft choice who played more like a 1st rounder for most of his time here. But I believe when Pagano came in and changed the defense from the cover 2 that Bethea played really well I think Bethea took a step back, slightly. That and with the miles he had on his tires I think it was the right choice to let him go and I was glad to see he landed on a good team.

I think the time is right for the team to get younger at safety. Like I wrote above, I think we'll draft a player to come in and compete against Howell for the job. I think it's Howell's job to lose right now. I like what I saw from Howell in the limited time he was on the field last year and I think he really surprised some people with his abilities.

Anyone like Usama Young?  Stop-gap, would be cheap, played both SS and FS with the Raiders- when healthy - and has good size.  Would have a connection to Chud, with time on the Browns too.    In the limited time Young played in 2013, he had a positive grade from PFF.