Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I Hope the Colts Sign S Chris Clemons

There's only 1 player on the free agent market right now that I think the Colts should sign, and that's safety Chris Clemons. I'm not the type to come out and say  "SIGN HIM, and HIM, and HIM" but this guy is a real good player.

He's very talented in coverage (+7.9 rating on PFF), and has a lot of pass deflections. He would compliment Laron Landry very well, and he could become the true free safety that the Colts need. 

For those saying, "well if we need a coverage guy, go with Byrd", Clemons' would probably take a contract that's a little more than half of what Byrd is asking. I predicted that Clemons would take a deal somewhere between 5M-6M a year, and I'm going to stick with that.

It also fills a big need with Bethea going to SF. I don't think there's many good safeties in the draft (at least when the Colts will be drafting in the 2nd round), and spending big on Byrd is not the smartest move. 

Like I said earlier, I don't like saying we should sign certain players, because a lot of the times it doesn't happen, but I believe this would be a good signing. 

I agree. He'll be cheaper than Byrd, and he's a great option. 

I also think we could take a look at Champ Bailey in the spot. 

I'd be fine with either of those options, honestly. 

Champ Bailey's probably the worst player in the league right now at 36 years old.

We might as well bring back Chad Bratzke while we're at it.

I'm 100% with you. More and more as the days go by I have studied up on this guy and have been impressed. If he takes 5 mil a year to play here...I will jump outta my seat. 

After we sign him i'd love to get EDS.

If we can sign Clemons and Dietrich Smith, this free agency will be a huge success.

If Grigs can land Clemons & either Dietrich-Smith or De La Puente, & still be 8-10 mil under, I think FA will be a home run...

Mis sentimientos exactamente

Dont want Clemons, Want a Safety in the draft, Clemons looks to me like another Bethea......We can do better in the draft....and younger

He's better than Bethea, and fits better as a FS.

Who can the Colts draft in the 2nd or 3rd round that can instantly become better than Bethea? No one is coming to mind. 

I was also high on Chris Clemons, he essentially is a cheaper, and a 1year younger version of Bethea......Clemons 93 tackles, 8 passes deflected, 1 int......Bethea 29yrs, 110 tackles, 6 passes deflected, 2 ints.......EDC would be a very nice addition, Colts may not want to commit to younger Center, and they may get a stop gap player like Goodwin and draft one and groom Kaled Holmes.

lol ok.

I'll take Clemons, and the Colts still have plenty of money to sign him (and he won't even be much). 

I agree he wont be much....nor will he do much, your know it all attitude is amusing right now given clemons lack of history of production

I agree he wont be much....nor will he do much, your know it all attitude is amusing right now given clemons lack of history of production

I don't think I know it all. All I know is that I rather an NFL starter with a good history and good ratings over an unknown, unproven, 3rd-4th round rated draft picks. I don't think I'm alone there either.

Go watch him on tape. Again, all you look at is his stats.

Andy, what are your thoughts on FS Thomas DeCoud? He has just been released by the Falcons.

Did not have a good season with the Falcons, and could go for very cheap. 

He's only a couple of years removed from the Pro Bowl, but he's more of a risk than some of the other guys on the market.

I think we should get someone who can start in FA.  Bad idea to go into the draft knowing that you have to draft a certain position and start that player.  

Get a FA and then go BPA.  Then you can cut players based on who's developed.  

It would be nice if we could get a safety who's ready to play on day 1.  But I'm not sure we get that in the 2nd round.

I don't think I know it all. All I know is that I rather an NFL starter with a good history and good ratings over an unknown, unproven, 3rd-4th round rated draft picks. I don't think I'm alone there either.

Go watch him on tape. Again, all you look at is his stats.

I have been ever since his name has been brought up...He is better down in the box

I have been ever since his name has been brought up...He is better down in the box

"Better in the box" Isn't that what Landry is for? The Colts need a guy that's good in coverage and he was rated as one of the best coverage guys on PFF, and had a good amount of pass deflections.

I sure think so

Oh, I thought you were talking about the draft guys you mentioned.

Clemons isn't that great down in the box, and like I said he's very good in coverage, which is what the Colts need.

The Colts have Landry for "in the box" play. 

Oh, I thought you were talking about the draft guys you mentioned.

Clemons isn't that great down in the box, and like I said he's very good in coverage, which is what the Colts need.

The Colts have Landry for "in the box" play. 

Why do you think he is better in coverage? Cause I just dont see it

Why do you think he is better in coverage? Cause I just dont see it

I assum PFF. They're usually pretty good with coverage ratings.

PFF is definitely part of the reason, but I don't judge players purely based on PFF.

I've watched every Dolphins game for the last 3 years, and I noticed that when he plays deep, teams do not throw to his side of the field. He's very quick to read routes and has a good amount of pass deflections. 

For example, this season, in both Patriot games and in the first Bills game, they did not even think about going deep because Clemons had that completely covered. He's very good in zone coverage and has a good amount of experience in man coverage. 

I can't guarantee that he'll be good with the Colts, but I can say that about every player. I saw very good things from Clemons with the Dolphins, and they can get him for nothing too expensive.

EDIT: Just as a side note too, he has played with Vontae Davis. I believe that chemistry has a lot to do in the secondary (look at LOB), and that helps.

Well that signing and signing a Center (unless we are rolling with Holmes) would complete our biggest needs. That would leave the only need as WR, which would probably be addressed in the draft. I'll take it. Even with the Eagles getting Jenkins, I don't think we would land Calvin Pryor.