Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Houston and that number one pick.

Houston has been associated with a bunch of QB rumors including Cassel (since re-signed by the Vikings), Kirk Cousins and others.

This one, http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/414773-report-texans-interested-in-ryan-mallett, makes the most sense. Mallett, a former third round pick is on the last year of his rookie contract. New England won't re-sign him to a new deal. He has worked with O'Brien and he knows the offense he intends to run in Texas. I think all of this noise about signing or trading for a QB is a good sign that the Texans are not going to take a QB with their first pick.

Am I the only one desperately hoping they think they can solve this through free agency or a trade for an immature * like Ryan Mallet?

I think they will do that but I also think they will bring in a veteran to help them through. They may draft a QB in the second or third round too. I think there are a lot of people who like Mallett and O'Brien would know him better than anyone.

They need to just go ahead with Schaub and draft Clowney or trade down

They aren't going to keep Schaub but I agree with you. His cap hit is too high. They are trying to bring in a veteran and I expect them to draft a QB in the second or third round. I think they will draft Clowney but I hope they fall for the hype and draft Johnny Football or one of the others number one. If they draft Clowney, I think their defense and their pass rush will be the best in the NFL. I know he didn't win defensive player of the year last year but Watt is the most disruptive defensive player in the NFL even when double teamed. Add Clowney to that mix and that team will strike fear in a QBs heart, I really think this team in their own division will be the biggest potential stumbling block the Colts will face.

Houston has been associated with a bunch of QB rumors including Cassel (since re-signed by the Vikings), Kirk Cousins and others.

This one, http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/414773-report-texans-interested-in-ryan-mallett, makes the most sense. Mallett, a former third round pick is on the last year of his rookie contract. New England won't re-sign him to a new deal. He has worked with O'Brien and he knows the offense he intends to run in Texas. I think all of this noise about signing or trading for a QB is a good sign that the Texans are not going to take a QB with their first pick.

I still think they might trade it I think Johnson was on to something when he said that

McClain,  the longtime writer for the Houston Chronicle, is convinced the Texans will take a QB high in the first round...

Either first overall...   or trade down a little bit and still get one of the Big 3.     He's very confident of this....

Maybe all the talk of Osweiler,  Mallett and Cassell was/is a smoke-screen?    Happens all the time.

O'Brien has a good idea of what he's looking for. 

But I'd say this........   if he blows the first pick, and picks a bust,  he's sealed his own fate. 

And none of the Big Three would make me want to risk my first shot at being an NFL head coach.

Any of those guys could make you or break you.    And I wouldn't risk my job for any of those guys....

But,  that may be just me................?

I would love nothing more than for the Texans to take Manziel. I think he is a bust waiting to happen. His college antics won't fly in the NFL, and I would be surprised if he lasted a full season.

The pick that would worry me the most would actually be Zach Mettenberger. I think he is the forgotten prospect in this draft. With one year of solid coaching he looked great at LSU. Imagine how much better he could be with a year under O'Brien.

I would love nothing more than for the Texans to take Manziel. I think he is a bust waiting to happen. His college antics won't fly in the NFL, and I would be surprised if he lasted a full season.

The pick that would worry me the most would actually be Zach Mettenberger. I think he is the forgotten prospect in this draft. With one year of solid coaching he looked great at LSU. Imagine how much better he could be with a year under O'Brien.

I can understand your thinking about Manziel. However, he is the only one of this bunch with the "it" factor. I could see him as a Joe Montana type QB but he would be a huge risk as the number one pick.