Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Alex Mack: let's see what else is out there [mega-merge]

“We’ll see what happens. It’s tough to know. I don’t know how teams feel about me. I still have an opportunity to meet with coaches and experience free agency. That’s the goal,” Mack said, via USA Today. “I like Cleveland; I know it. I like these new coaches. But there are other opportunities out there. You only get to play this game so long. Let’s see what else is out there.

If I'm a GM, I meet with him and tell him that I'd give him X amount over Y years with Z guaranteed...next year.

Then I would remind him that if he ever wants to leave the factory of sadness that is Cleveland, he'd be smart to not sign any long deals, take the tag, and make the Browns pay him $12M+ next year if they want to transition tag him again.

If I was really clever, I'd offer him a one year deal at $13-14M; then you control his rights next year if Cleveland doesn't sign him or if they do, Cleveland has to offer him $16.8M to franchise him next year.

If I'm a GM, I meet with him and tell him that I'd give him X amount over Y years with Z guaranteed...next year.

And if anyone found out about that deal we'd probably lose our first round pick and a bunch of cap space. lol. There's no way that's not collusion.

And if anyone found out about that deal we'd probably lose our first round pick and a bunch of cap space. lol. There's no way that's not collusion.

You don't exactly put it in writing that way.  It's more like "I'd have no problem offering you this if I didn't expect the Browns to match it".

A little tact, that's all.

As bad as our interior was last year, it is really hard not to try and sign this guy. He may be the one free agent worth overpaying for. He would be the captain of the o-line. He would be a HUGE upgrade over our centers from last season. I feel like he would also help elevate the play of the guards.

I wouldn't pay $10 million, but I would definitely consider $8 million.

Then I would remind him that if he ever wants to leave the factory of sadness that is Cleveland, he'd be smart to not sign any long deals, take the tag, and make the Browns pay him $12M+ next year if they want to transition tag him again.

If I was really clever, I'd offer him a one year deal at $13-14M; then you control his rights next year if Cleveland doesn't sign him or if they do, Cleveland has to offer him $16.8M to franchise him next year.

Email Grigson immediately.

You have to wait a year before extending a contract don't you?

Not necessarily.

"The contract of a Veteran Player may not be renegotiated to increase the Salary to be paid to the player during the original terms of the contract for a period of twelve months after the player's most recent contract renegotiation. The first renegotiation of a Veteran Player Contract, however, may take place at any time."

If it's a one year deal, you could sign him to a one year deal and then extend him later.  The biggest factor is that you can't have an off the books agreement to extend the contract, but if you've comfortable that he'd want to stay. then there's no issue.

Mack hitting the market is a good thing for us even if we don't get him. Maybe it will help us make a play at someone else. But it's nice to see that we're not going to sit back and do nothing at C. Whoever we bring in, I hope we front load the contract.

“We’ll see what happens. It’s tough to know. I don’t know how teams feel about me. I still have an opportunity to meet with coaches and experience free agency. That’s the goal,” Mack said, via USA Today. “I like Cleveland; I know it. I like these new coaches. But there are other opportunities out there. You only get to play this game so long. Let’s see what else is out there.

he worth it next 4 too 7 years , great center . he a top 5 center in nfl.

I think after we get all the guys that most would consider a must resign on top of the tenders that were assigned we will have around 17-21 mill which tells me we are not done in FA, I do NOT expect to see Bethea or Brown re-signed, I expect FS to be addressed in the draft and a Scat Back late or maybe Undrafted Free Agent

http://www.ohio.com/sports/browns/browns-pro-bowl-center-alex-mack-eager-to-field-offers-from-other-teams-despite-transition-tag-1.471438

“The transition tag will still allow me to see other teams, which is what we really wanted. … The goal was really to feel out my options. We wanted to know what the Browns are now about, and what other teams are doing.”

On potentially returning to the Browns due to the transition tag: “I have to be comfortable with that,” said Mack, who the Browns drafted in the first round in 2009 out of the University of California. “It’s their right. I have to weigh that into any potential decision. But I walked away from our meeting feeling it was a good meeting. [Without] a doubt, it’s not a bad thing to return to the Browns.

“We’ll see what happens. It’s tough to know. I don’t know how teams feel about me. I still have an opportunity to meet with coaches and experience free agency. That’s the goal. I like Cleveland. I know it. I like these new coaches. But there are other opportunities out there. You only get to play this game so long. Let’s see what else is out there.”

So it really seems like he isnt sold on returning to Cleveland. You can hear the doubt in his voice just from reading this article. "I have to be comfortable with that." Sounds like hes forcing himself to realize he'l probably be in Cleveland. At least hes interested in leaving. Lets keep our fingers crossed!

I'm telling you, if you want him, convince him to sign a one year deal, $14M, guaranteed.

If the Browns match: They have to pay him $16.8M next year to franchise/transition tag him

If the Browns don't match: you can extend him for future years as you can agree.

Offering him a long-term deal is a bad idea because the Browns will just match and he'll be off the market for 5 years.

Bu

It means he can get offers from other teams but the Browns have a right to match the deal.

but He doesn't have to take it right?  lets Say Raiders offers him 10 and so does browns, but Colts only offer him 9 he could still choose the Colts ?

Bu

but He doesn't have to take it right?  lets Say Raiders offers him 10 and so does browns, but Colts only offer him 9 he could still choose the Colts ?

1) He gets a bunch of offers from teams (except Browns).

2) He picks the one he likes the best and signs the deal with that team that offered it.

3) Browns match or don't match.

With that transition tag I can't see any GM wasting his time trying to negotiate any deal with him knowing that the Browns can match it.

It would just be ridiculously expensive to offer a deal the Browns would balk at, so why waste time talking to the guy?

With that transition tag I can't see any GM wasting his time trying to negotiate any deal with him knowing that the Browns can match it.

It would just be ridiculously expensive to offer a deal the Browns would balk at, so why waste time talking to the gut?

Because it might not be that attractive to have a player on your roster that you know doesn't really wanna be there...

It might just be me but I think its pretty stupid that you can hold a player like that if he want to move let him,  ofc first when the current contract is over.

Because it might not be that attractive to have a player on your roster that you know doesn't really wanna be there...

It might just be me but I think its pretty stupid that you can hold a player like that if he want to move let him,  ofc first when the current contract is over.

Did you feel that way when Peyton got the franchise tag?  Twice?