Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Peyton's Exam Results

Fx Stryker

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was a bad performance by Peyton in the SB, no doubt.

But think about this. If you are a competitor, would you like to go out on a sour note or would you like another chance at redemption? Peyton's legacy in the eyes of fans or media is the last thing he is concerned about. If he has the desire and heart to play and the ability to compete at a high level, he wants to do his best and help his team win. His decision to hang it up will not be based on others' perception of his legacy, just his own ability to help his team win and compete at a high level.

Yes, by his lofty regular season standards, anything but a SB win is considered a failure for Peyton. But then, there are not many other QBs (other than Brady that I can think of) who are always considered for a SB shot every year and held to such high standards. Wins vs Chargers and Patriots are all of a sudden diminished to make a case against Peyton. That is the actuality of what is happening.

I like to be fair, so calling Peyton's performance in the SB a terrible one by his standard is fair. However, calling for his retirement so that he can do damage control to his perceived legacy in the eyes of fans and media is not well thought out. That is also a fair statement, IMO. :)

Nice reply Chad. Yes, the only person that Peyton is competing against is himself. He doesn't consume himself with what media pundits think. & You are 100% correct. 1 less than perfect SB performance shouldn't warrant a retirement call. It's not fair to Manning & everything he has accomplished in the NFL. Peyton has earned the right to step down when & where he wants to IMHO. 

Because of the D which was in place before Arians got there.

If it was in place before Arians got there, why didn't they win. Arians did a great job in Indy and he was very good last year in Arizona. He plays in the toughest division in football but I would not be surprised to see them make the playoffs this coming year.

Nice reply Chad. Yes, the only person that Peyton is competing against is himself. He doesn't consume himself with what media pundits think. & You are 100% correct. 1 less than perfect SB performance shouldn't warrant a retirement call. It's not fair to Manning & everything he has accomplished in the NFL. Peyton has earned the right to step down when & where he wants to IMHO. 

I look for Manning to come back and post another season very similar to the last one. I think they go from 12-4 to 13-3 and have a great chance to get back to the SB. Now, they may have the same problems but they have a lot of important injured players coming back too.

cmon now ruseman, you're really not fooling anyone.  :36dancing:

I think you have gone off of the deep end. You may disagree with my posts but I am polite to everyone including you. If you don't like what I have to say, you have an ignore button, feel free to use it. I may use it on you but you once in a while say something I find interesting. Not often but once in a while.

Yesterday in USA Today:

Houston Texans

Issue: Though the Texans finished with a 14 game losing streak and the league's worse record, their roster indicates they are anything but the NFL's sorriest outfit. They'll have to weigh future of some struggling veterans and their hefty contracts (QB Matt Schaub, TE Owen Daniels, CB Johnathan Joseph).  DE J.J. Watt aside the D-line must be replenished. But a fresh approach from new coach Bill O'Brien, healthy returns from RB Arian Foster and ILB Brian Cushing and top-shelf draft talent they should get in the draft could portent a hasty turnaround.

Our Advice: Given Schaub's $14.1 million cap figure in 2014, it's difficult to see him returning. But for a team loaded with veterans, targeting an experienced back-up in the trade market (perhaps Kirk Cousins or Ryan Mallet) might be the way to go rather than breaking in a rookie. That would also put Houston in better position to grab South Carolina DE Jadeveon Cowney with the number one pick or deal it. TE Garrett Graham, 27, is a nice young player worth re-signing at a reasonable figure.

There are more ways to build a winner than just drafting the highest rated QB in whatever draft you are looking at. Look at the 49ers, Seahawks and even Baltimore. Fear the Texans, they are going to be very good and they are loading up to play against Andrew Luck.

Schaub is not the answer & neither is Clowney. I don't care what a USA Today article says. Houston without a QB is toast. That fan base is fed up with Matt & they don't have a starter behind him right now. Yes Bill can find a QB in later rounds of the draft that's true but a healthy LB's return or RB's return doesn't mean a darn thing if you can't consistently throw the ball downfield without getting it picked off. 

Even if Clowney helps JJ Watt out, I don't see those pass rushers scoring TD's every down do you? 

I think you have gone off of the deep end. You may disagree with my posts but I am polite to everyone including you. If you don't like what I have to say, you have an ignore button, feel free to use it. I may use it on you but you once in a while say something I find interesting. Not often but once in a while.

Ok blu

Schaub is not the answer & neither is Clowney. I don't care what a USA Today article says. Houston without a QB is toast. That fan base is fed up with Matt & they don't have a starter behind him right now. Yes Bill can find a QB in later rounds of the draft that's true but a healthy LB's return or RB's return doesn't mean a darn thing if you can't consistently throw the ball downfield without getting it picked off. 

Even if Clowney helps JJ Watt out, I don't see those pass rushers scoring TD's every down do you? 

No, but I see them batting down passes, getting sacks, forcing fumbles and creating general havoc. No one is saying Schaub is the answer only that there is not a franchise QB available anyway. They are looking to sign Cassel and perhaps trading for one the two QBs mentioned in the article. There are more ways to build a team and better ways that drafting one of this years franchise wannabes... They build that defense and they won't have to score on every possession. We will see how it goes. I think the days of drafting a franchise QB before you are ready are over. I also do not think there is a franchise QB in this draft and all are high risk.

No, but I see them batting down passes, getting sacks, forcing fumbles and creating general havoc. No one is saying Schaub is the answer only that there is not a franchise QB available anyway. They are looking to sign Cassel and perhaps trading for one the two QBs mentioned in the article. There are more ways to build a team and better ways that drafting one of this years franchise wannabes... They build that defense and they won't have to score on every possession. We will see how it goes. I think the days of drafting a franchise QB before you are ready are over. I also do not think there is a franchise QB in this draft and all are high risk.

Sign Matt Cassel really? Jesus, is that a colossally dumb move. If you're gonna do that as a HC, you might as well ride with Matt Schuab then. Cassel had that 1 really good year in 2008 in NE & then he became mediocre at best. He's no QB savior. I don't see Cassel winning to many games for Houston myself. 7-9 maybe. That won't cut it. 

Knocked down passes are nice, but if your QB still sucks, it won't matter. 

Sign Matt Cassel really? Jesus, is that a colossally dumb move. If you're gonna do that as a HC, you might as well ride with Matt Schuab then. Cassel had that 1 really good year in 2008 in NE & then he became mediocre at best. He's no QB savior. I don't see Cassel winning to many games for Houston myself. 7-9 maybe. That won't cut it. 

Knocked down passes are nice, but if you QB still sucks, it won't matter. 

Cassel played really well for the Vikings last year. He doesn't make anywhere near what Schaub makes so that solves that problem. It also give you a very good veteran QB to bridge the gap to whoever you draft to develop in the later rounds. Derek Carr is a real possibility here even with the problems they had with his brother. I think if they take one of these QB available on the first round, your record prediction would be about right. However, if they sign Cassel or trade for Kirk Cousins or Ryan Mallet, I don't think there is any limit on how good they can be. You read the USA Today article. I have been blowing the horn for this approach since before the combine. They can take a dominant player in Clowney. He is one of those once in every decade players like Luck.

Cassel played really well for the Vikings last year. He doesn't make anywhere near what Schaub makes so that solves that problem. It also give you a very good veteran QB to bridge the gap to whoever you draft to develop in the later rounds. Derek Carr is a real possibility here even with the problems they had with his brother. I think if they take one of these QB available on the first round, your record prediction would be about right. However, if they sign Cassel or trade for Kirk Cousins or Ryan Mallet, I don't think there is any limit on how good they can be. You read the USA Today article. I have been blowing the horn for this approach since before the combine. They can take a dominant player in Clowney. He is one of those once in every decade players like Luck.

Cassel is a serviceable backup that's all he will ever be. I thought the Skins decided to keep Cousins? Ryan Mallet has good size & his dad was a football coach. That move could work, but I don't think he is light on his feet if you force him to move in the pocket. 

Clowney...Until I know that kid is gonna work his caboose off for me every game down he's on the field; I'm not pulling that draft trigger. A lazy pass rusher is the worst thing you can throw millions of dollars at. I would need some heavy convincing first & his college HC did darn him with faint praise. Not good at all to me. Warning sirens would be blaring in my head.  Plus, Clowney strikes me as the type who folds under superior competition at the next level. 

Cassel is a serviceable backup that's all he will ever be. I thought the Skins decided to keep Cousins? Ryan Mallet has good size & his dad was a football coach. That move could work, but I don't think he is light on his feet if you force him to move in the pocket. 

Clowney...Until I know that kid is gonna work his caboose off for me every game down he's on the field; I'm not pulling that draft trigger. A lazy pass rusher is the worst thing you can throw millions of dollars at. I would need some heavy convincing first & his college HC did darn him with faint praise. Not good at all to me. Warning sirens would be blaring in my head.  Plus, Clowney strikes me as the type who folds under superior competition at the next level. 

Clowney had everything thrown at him last year. His coach never praises anyone. Where did you see him taking plays off? It may have looked that way with the double and triple teams but it is far from the truth. I don't think he folds under superior competition either. However, he won't have to worry about that in the AFC South next year. There are no elite teams or superior competition. I would take this guy in a nanosecond just to see he and Watt play together. That is a wrecking crew.

Clowney had everything thrown at him last year. His coach never praises anyone. Where did you see him taking plays off? It may have looked that way with the double and triple teams but it is far from the truth. I don't think he folds under superior competition either. However, he won't have to worry about that in the AFC South next year. There are no elite teams or superior competition. I would take this guy in a nanosecond just to see he and Watt play together. That is a wrecking crew.

College to the pros is a huge leap in competition every single week. Don't kid yourself sir. 

I would want Warren Sapp to run drills with Clowney 1st. If he signs off on him, I'd be okay with taking him, but not before. Take Clowney to the point of exhaustion & then see how he responds when he's tired. 

College to the pros is a huge leap in competition every single week. Don't kid yourself sir. 

I would want Warren Sapp to run drills with Clowney 1st. If he signs off on him, I'd be okay with taking him, but not before. Take Clowney to the point of exhaustion & then see how he responds when he's tired. 

You think Warren Sapp on his best day could keep up with Clowney? There isn't a player at his position with his kind of strength and speed. He makes Robert Mathis look like a slow wimp.

You think Warren Sapp on his best day could keep up with Clowney? There isn't a player at his position with his kind of strength and speed. He makes Robert Mathis look like a slow wimp.

Fundamentals, technique, & live drills with a HOF pass rusher. I see nothing wrong with that at all. Endurance is the key here not athletic prowess. 

Fundamentals, technique, & live drills with a HOF pass rusher. I see nothing wrong with that at all. Endurance is the key here not athletic prowess. 

Article by Don Banks at SI:

AFC South -- Houston: Can't think of anyone in recent NFL history that has fallen further faster than the 2013 Texans, shaving 10 wins off their division-winning 12-4 record of 2012 to hit rock bottom at 2-14 in 2013 (even Atlanta saw only a nine-win decline from 2012 to '13). But perhaps that portends a rise in Houston that could happen just as suddenly, and for inspiration, the Texans have only to look within their own division. The 2010 Colts won the AFC South at 10-6, then suffered a disaster at quarterback in 2011 with Peyton Manning's neck injury, plummeting to 2-14. Armed with the No. 1 overall pick in 2012, Indianapolis took quarterback Andrew Luck and returned to the playoffs that season.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20140306/afc-front-offices-under-pressure-2014-offseason/#ixzz2vDazvMXQ

Edited by Nadine
excessive quote