Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Arthur Jones/Linval Joseph

What do you guys think their contracts are going to look like this offseason, and do you feel we should pay good money for another interior Dlineman when we already have Redding and RJF? Personally I feel we definitely need help at the position, both from a run stopping and pass rushing perspective. The way New England tore us up on the ground, and the fact that we had one guy on defense that could actually get pressure on the QB tells me we really do need help there. I feel the down linemen in the middle are the most important pieces to make any defense go, and both guys would be able to come in and start right away. 

Arthur Jones is better, a more proven scheme fit, and older. Joseph is probably going to be cheaper, has yet to hit his ceiling, but we have no idea if he could play the 5 tech. Not getting into the guaranteed money or all the terms of their contracts, I'd put Jones at about 6.5M/year and Joseph at about 5. Both the Ravens and Giants have enough cap to pay for them, but maybe they think they'll get more on the open market. How does everyone feel about them?

I'd sign Joseph at least, Maybe Jones but he might want to start right away and Redding is productive and Francois according to numerous scouting reports and from what I saw with my own eyes has all the athletic ability in the world and is explosive off the snap, Just a matter of being consistent and staying healthy, Personally I'd sign a DE in the draft first but Im open to Jones signing

I'd sign Joseph at least, Maybe Jones but he might want to start right away and Redding is productive and Francois according to numerous scouting reports and from what I saw with my own eyes has all the athletic ability in the world and is explosive off the snap, Just a matter of being consistent and staying healthy, Personally I'd sign a DE in the draft first but Im open to Jones signing

Redding is getting old and in the last year of his contract. Playing DE is such a taxing position, that you pretty much need a tandem effort. I think we'd be pretty solid with a rotation of Joseph/Redding/RJF/Hughes. 

What do you guys think their contracts are going to look like this offseason, and do you feel we should pay good money for another interior Dlineman when we already have Redding and RJF? Personally I feel we definitely need help at the position, both from a run stopping and pass rushing perspective. The way New England tore us up on the ground, and the fact that we had one guy on defense that could actually get pressure on the QB tells me we really do need help there. I feel the down linemen in the middle are the most important pieces to make any defense go, and both guys would be able to come in and start right away. 

Arthur Jones is better, a more proven scheme fit, and older. Joseph is probably going to be cheaper, has yet to hit his ceiling, but we have no idea if he could play the 5 tech. Not getting into the guaranteed money or all the terms of their contracts, I'd put Jones at about 6.5M/year and Joseph at about 5. Both the Ravens and Giants have enough cap to pay for them, but maybe they think they'll get more on the open market. How does everyone feel about them?

I have what I think is a very good question if other teams are already resigning their free agents for this year and most with long term deals how come the colts are not trying to lock down Davis? The problem I have with them waiting is they are going to mess around and lose him to another team cause come March 11 anybody has the right to sign him what are they waiting for Christmas.

Redding is getting old and in the last year of his contract. Playing DE is such a taxing position, that you pretty much need a tandem effort. I think we'd be pretty solid with a rotation of Joseph/Redding/RJF/Hughes. 

Jones and Joseph are probably different proposals in our defense, but the prospect of adding either could lead to similar growth in our D - and the immediate impact on our rotation looks inviting, regardless of which ones start.  Jones is an obvious fit to replace Redding at the strongside in 2015 if we don't re-sign him, and is the likely starter day 1 in 2014 with Redding taking fewer snaps.  Joseph looks more like he would play the weakside DT/DE in our scheme.  This would enable us to slide RJF over to the strongside in 2015 as Redding's replacement.  

With limited picks in a deep draft and no first rounder - BPA might not yield Redding's replacement, so using free agency as our first round pick to ensure a smooth transition with a key piece looks like good GM work to me.  Jones, Joseph or Houston (unlikely) would be worth a premium that pays dividends day 1 while also fitting a long term plan.

I am hoping we get Arthur Jones more than any other free agent. D line and OG are the 2 areas that need to be addressed in free agency IMO.

Hmm, I don't think there will be as high as a $1.5 million difference between the 2. I think if Jones is $6.5 million range Joseph will be at least $5.5 - $6 million. I'd like the idea of signing one of them (I'd go with Jones but either one would help a lot.) It's so important to get a good push in the trenches on both sides of the ball. I'm of the philosophy that if you have a good O-line, good defensive front, and an elite QB you're 80% of the way to a championship team. I think if we add one of those guys will be almost set on the D-line (I'd think about a depth addition at NT) and on the defensive side of the ball we'd just be looking to bring in an ILB, CB, and FS via the rest of free agency and the draft. For offense I'd hope for a starting C and quality depth adds at G/T, WR, and RB.

Didn't the colts keep 5 activated? Redding, RJF, Moala, Mathews, and Hughes. I know Hughes was not activated until the mid-end of the year, then who was deactivated? I thought I saw Hughes, Moala, and Mathews in the rotation at the end of the season, but maybe not.

In any event, including Chapman and Franklin, I think the colts rostered 7 DL's, so you need to add one more to your list I think. I say a round 2 or 3 rookie. And it wouldn't hurt to replace Franklin.

That's a need/want for 3 new DL's this offseason, if the roster allocation stays the same, IMO.

Edit: Pendleton? #61, was in there a lot near the end. Does that make 8? then. I thought he played as well as any DL did when he played.

Didn't the colts keep 5 activated? Redding, RJF, Moala, Mathews, and Hughes. I know Hughes was not activated until the mid-end of the year, then who was deactivated? I thought I saw Hughes, Moala, and Mathews in the rotation at the end of the season, but maybe not.

In any event, including Chapman and Franklin, I think the colts rostered 7 DL's, so you need to add one more to your list I think. I say a round 2 or 3 rookie. And it wouldn't hurt to replace Franklin.

That's a need/want for 3 new DL's this offseason, if the roster allocation stays the same, IMO.

Edit: Pendleton? #61, was in there a lot near the end. Does that make 8? then. I thought he played as well as any DL did when he played.

The original 53 last year had 7 DL as you suggest, and the year before that we carried 6 DL initially until injuries forced us to carry a MASH unit.

If they bring Moala back, and I suspect they will, and sign a premium FA, then we'll have very little need or room for a rookie unless it's a NT.  Hughes is still the developmental guy in that scenario, and I like what Pendleton showed us last year to be a versatile DT/DE that can also play NT behind Chapman.  We only played a NT on 50% of the snaps last year, and Chapman should get the bulk of those moving forward, so I'd like to see our second NT have more value in the rotation.  Hughes and Pendleton both have the body type to do it while also having the athleticism to play the 3/5 Tech.

Jones for DL and Saffold for guard....please!

Jones and Joseph are probably different proposals in our defense, but the prospect of adding either could lead to similar growth in our D - and the immediate impact on our rotation looks inviting, regardless of which ones start.  Jones is an obvious fit to replace Redding at the strongside in 2015 if we don't re-sign him, and is the likely starter day 1 in 2014 with Redding taking fewer snaps.  Joseph looks more like he would play the weakside DT/DE in our scheme.  This would enable us to slide RJF over to the strongside in 2015 as Redding's replacement.

With limited picks in a deep draft and no first rounder - BPA might not yield Redding's replacement, so using free agency as our first round pick to ensure a smooth transition with a key piece looks like good GM work to me.  Jones, Joseph or Houston (unlikely) would be worth a premium that pays dividends day 1 while also fitting a long term plan.

If Joseph is really 6'4" and 323 lbs (according to nfl.com) then I imagine he would also be on the strong side.  RJF may not be quite big/strong enough to 2 gap on a consistent basis.

The original 53 last year had 7 DL as you suggest, and the year before that we carried 6 DL initially until injuries forced us to carry a MASH unit.

If they bring Moala back, and I suspect they will, and sign a premium FA, then we'll have very little need or room for a rookie unless it's a NT.  Hughes is still the developmental guy in that scenario, and I like what Pendleton showed us last year to be a versatile DT/DE that can also play NT behind Chapman.  We only played a NT on 50% of the snaps last year, and Chapman should get the bulk of those moving forward, so I'd like to see our second NT have more value in the rotation.  Hughes and Pendleton both have the body type to do it while also having the athleticism to play the 3/5 Tech.

Thanks for the info. I seem to recall Pendleton getting into the backfield a few times late last year, more so than just about any other DL then. If he did that from the NT position, good for us. I understand the 34 is not about getting pressure from the DL's, but I think its possible for them to be more active than what they've been so far.

Whether its via draft or FA, the colts need to find a DLineman that is better than anyone rostered last year. Who that leaves at the bottom of the rotation, I don't know. Pendleton is listed at 6.2 335, so maybe he is Franklin's replacement, with some versatility.

Thanks for the info. I seem to recall Pendleton getting into the backfield a few times late last year, more so than just about any other DL then. If he did that from the NT position, good for us. I understand the 34 is not about getting pressure from the DL's, but I think its possible for them to be more active than what they've been so far.

Whether its via draft or FA, the colts need to find a DLineman that is better than anyone rostered last year. Who that leaves at the bottom of the rotation, I don't know. Pendleton is listed at 6.2 335, so maybe he is Franklin's replacement, with some versatility.

Pendleton didn't play any NT last year for us that I recall, just seems like a reasonable projection that he could.  He was a heckuva late season find by Grigs off the street.

If Joseph is really 6'4" and 323 lbs (according to nfl.com) then I imagine he would also be on the strong side.  RJF may not be quite big/strong enough to 2 gap on a consistent basis.

RJF 2-gapped all day long for SF and did for us as well in our 3-4 base which we played a ton of last year.  Joseph is a fine size to replace Redding as well, but I don't think the Giants 2-gap at all, so the Hybrid DT/DE position is more of a known quantity for his skill set.

RJF 2-gapped all day long for SF and did for us as well in our 3-4 base which we played a ton of last year.  Joseph is a fine size to replace Redding as well, but I don't think the Giants 2-gap at all, so the Hybrid DT/DE position is more of a known quantity for his skill set.

I know RJF 2-gapped some in our base but he also 1-gapped quite a bit too.  That's why I said I wasn't sure if he could do it on a consistent basis.  I didn't pay attention much to him or anyone really at San Fran so wasn't sure if he primarily 1-gapped or 2-gapped there.

I would guess that Joseph projects more as a 2-gapping, strong side DE, and Jones offers a little more in the form of shooting one gap. Not that the semantics really matter, because both are well rounded players that can stop the run and rush the passer.

I wouldn't mind keeping Moala at vet minimum, and drafting a late round Dlineman like Coleman, Ellis, or Kerr. Mathews and Franklin can go. The rest get thrown in the proverbial pot and see which ones stick. 

Redding got handled in the playoffs and is ready to be a good backup, better than Mathews for sure. We need a another good starter at DE NOW!

GL on AJones. He would be the guy.