Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If We Have 3 Of The Top 33 Picks...who Do You Want?

Well, a lot depends on what # the picks actually are, but here are my 3 picks...

1. Justin Blackmon WR Oklahoma State 6'1" 210lbs

2. David DeCastro OG Stanford 6'5" 312lbs

3. Stephon Gilmore CB South Carolina 6'1" 195lbs

In my opinion (and i know some disagree), Blackmon is the best WR in this draft, and by the time Reggie retires (assuming we do re-sign him), he would easily be our #1 WR.

DeCastro is hands down the best OG in the draft, and could very likely turn out to be an elite OG, like Logan Mankins, for example.

Gilmore isnt the best CB in this draft (there are several good CBs to choose from), but he could become a solid #1 CB in the NFL and has size and play making ability.

Beyond the draft, there are also several decent/good CBs that will be available in free agency...Flowers, from Kansas City is one i would like to go after. Likewise, there are also a few DTs that would fit in with what we need...off the top of my head, Soliai, from Miami would be a good choice.

Well, a lot depends on what # the picks actually are, but here are my 3 picks...

1. Justin Blackmon WR Oklahoma State 6'1" 210lbs

2. David DeCastro OG Stanford 6'5" 312lbs

3. Stephon Gilmore CB South Carolina 6'1" 195lbs

In my opinion (and i know some disagree), Blackmon is the best WR in this draft, and by the time Reggie retires (assuming we do re-sign him), he would easily be our #1 WR.

DeCastro is hands down the best OG in the draft, and could very likely turn out to be an elite OG, like Logan Mankins, for example.

Gilmore isnt the best CB in this draft (there are several good CBs to choose from), but he could become a solid #1 CB in the NFL and has size and play making ability.

Beyond the draft, there are also several decent/good CBs that will be available in free agency...Flowers, from Kansas City is one i would like to go after. Likewise, there are also a few DTs that would fit in with what we need...off the top of my head, Soliai, from Miami would be a good choice.

Our pressing athletic needs are in the secondary..

Our strength is receiver.. We dont need another pass catcher who we cant fit in..do we?

We need DTs badly

Our pressing athletic needs are in the secondary..

Our strength is receiver.. We dont need another pass catcher who we cant fit in..do we?

We need DTs badly

One of our pressing needs IS in the secondary, and i agree that we need another DT to go with Nevis...did you even read my post, or just see that the 3 names i put werent what YOU wanted, and go from there?

Secondary IS a pressing need, again...thats why i said we could draft Gilmore, try to sign Flowers and still have Powers, also...and in rounds 3-7, we will still have picks to make, as far as another CB or SS.

Also, i agree that DT is a NEED for the team...thats why i suggested that we sign a DT, such as Soliai from the Dolphins, as he will be more ready to contribute than a rookie would...however, like i said above, we will still have picks in rounds 3-7 (Nevis was a 3rd rounder, after all)

As for WR being our strength and you saying that Blackmon would just be another WR that we couldnt fit in, i couldnt DISagree more. You DO realize that Wayne, Garcon and Gonzo are all free agents after this season, right? While it is possible that we could resign Wayne and Garcon both, what if someone offers them more money than we can, and they both leave? Are you still going to say that WR is our strength, when Collie and Blair White are our #1 and #2?

Look, i know there is a good chance that we DO re-sign one or even both of 'em...but Blackmon would be AT LEAST our second best WR, even if so.

So again, i personally feel that if we were able to draft these 3 guys in the top 33, they would all be immediate help. And i would still like to try to pick up another already established guy at CB and DT, via free agency, like i said in my first post.

Rounds 3-5 will still have some quality at CB/SS/DT... Kawann Short, Kheeston Randall, Kendall Reyes, Jaye Howard, Tydreke Powell and Josh Chapman are currently projected as a 3-5 round pick at DT for example. Coryell Judie, Shaun Prater, Cliff Harris, Casey Hayward and Trumaine Johnson are all projected as 3-5 round picks at CB.

Anyhow, everyone is entitled to their opinion, and thats mine! lol

One of our pressing needs IS in the secondary, and i agree that we need another DT to go with Nevis...did you even read my post, or just see that the 3 names i put werent what YOU wanted, and go from there?

Secondary IS a pressing need, again...thats why i said we could draft Gilmore, try to sign Flowers and still have Powers, also...and in rounds 3-7, we will still have picks to make, as far as another CB or SS.

Also, i agree that DT is a NEED for the team...thats why i suggested that we sign a DT, such as Soliai from the Dolphins, as he will be more ready to contribute than a rookie would...however, like i said above, we will still have picks in rounds 3-7 (Nevis was a 3rd rounder, after all)

As for WR being our strength and you saying that Blackmon would just be another WR that we couldnt fit in, i couldnt DISagree more. You DO realize that Wayne, Garcon and Gonzo are all free agents after this season, right? While it is possible that we could resign Wayne and Garcon both, what if someone offers them more money than we can, and they both leave? Are you still going to say that WR is our strength, when Collie and Blair White are our #1 and #2?

Look, i know there is a good chance that we DO re-sign one or even both of 'em...but Blackmon would be AT LEAST our second best WR, even if so.

So again, i personally feel that if we were able to draft these 3 guys in the top 33, they would all be immediate help. And i would still like to try to pick up another already established guy at CB and DT, via free agency, like i said in my first post.

Rounds 3-5 will still have some quality at CB/SS/DT... Kawann Short, Kheeston Randall, Kendall Reyes, Jaye Howard, Tydreke Powell and Josh Chapman are currently projected as a 3-5 round pick at DT for example. Coryell Judie, Shaun Prater, Cliff Harris, Casey Hayward and Trumaine Johnson are all projected as 3-5 round picks at CB.

Anyhow, everyone is entitled to their opinion, and thats mine! lol

Stop yourself..

I did read your post ut there isnt any chance we wont sign Wayne OR Garcon. You know how the Colts work.

Brackett got his money Vinaterri got his....Addai got his..

..Wayne and Garcon will get theirs...

Lets deal in what is likely as opposed to what if the sky falls..

I dont think Blackmon is better than Garcon but that's arguable...What isnt arguable is that a rookie is going to play ahead of either Wayne, Garcon or Collie...

I agree with the conceot fo amximizing yous strengths..and our strength is Manning...so bring on the pass catchers.

I didnt call you a dummy..

But we need two starting corners. Yesterday.

..and we had DT go down against Tampa and may have ended his career..

If you accept that we're not building for the future..we need guys who can play now with Manning and Wayne.

then we cant take a 3rd to 5th rounder and hope.

I want the top guys in the nation(teh LSU corner) at their position and I wanted input as to who they are.

All your names are good.. Its cool. We're 0-8. :ref:

Well no offense, but if we're dealing in what is "likely", then we wont get 2 first round picks THIS year that would land us top guys...the only team with 2 picks that could do that, is Cleveland, and i really doubt that they just drop McCoy and trade for the top pick.

As far as Wayne/Garcon, if i had to bet, i'd say we sign one and not both. I'm sure that some team will over pay for one (likely Garcon) and we wont match it. And yes, i do think that Blackmon or Jeffery either one would be an immediate starter at #2, if we keep Wayne. I didnt put Collie into this, because he's our slot guy, and Blackmon is an outside WR, not a slot WR.

Foster is the DT that went down w/the nasty injury vs the Bucs, not Nevis, and in my opinion, Nevis is our best DT when healthy (even as a rookie).

I agree that CB and DT are needs that we dont want to wait on guys to "develop", thats why i suggested we look into free agency for one or both. I know we dont usually do much in free agency, but after this disaster of a season and everyone getting to see the product that Polian has put on the field, i would guess that he is a little more active to try and fix things quickly, before his "reputation" takes a big hit. And i DO think he'll be more likely to look for immediate help vs the big picture...he's already into his 70s age wise and will probably like to go out on top

Here, let me better explain WHY i suggested drafting the 3 guys that i did.

Garcon will likely find some team that will pay him more than Blackmon will make as a rookie...and at 6'1" 210lbs with GREAT hands, and GREAT route running, i think Blackmon will not only be a good fit, but also save us some money on the salary cap.

DeCastro is talented enough to come in as a rookie and already be one of the NFL's best OGs, and as a mid/late first rounder, will be "cheap" vs the salary cap.

Gilmore has good size and good play making ability, and although he's not the top 1-2 CBs in the draft, he is still very talented and likely better (and definitely bigger) than anyone we have at the position. If we could add another CB via free agency, it would be even better.

Another idea i've though about (and i seriously doubt that the Colts will do, it's just an idea), is trading Freeney. I know that he's our best player on defense, but he's also about to make $14 million next season. If we were able to trade him to someone for a first round pick, and draft Copels, i wouldnt be opposed to it. While Copels is nowhere near as good as Freeney is now, he would come to us about $12million cheaper next season, and make it easier to not only re-sign Mathis and Wayne...but also have some $ left to address another CB or DT. Copels is also a bigger DE than we have and is good against the run.

Like i said, not likely (even though we will almost HAVE to at least get Freeney to restructure his deal), but something to think about, none the less!

If I can pick any 3 in the top 33...

Manti Te'o, MLB

Morris Claiborn, CB

Jerel Worthy, DT

or

Brandon Thompson, DT

Manti Te'o, MLB

Chase Minnifield, CB

I could probably give about a 100 different combos. :D

Yeah me too. Right now my personal preference is Claiborne, Thompson, Toon.

Here, let me better explain WHY i suggested drafting the 3 guys that i did.

Garcon will likely find some team that will pay him more than Blackmon will make as a rookie...and at 6'1" 210lbs with GREAT hands, and GREAT route running, i think Blackmon will not only be a good fit, but also save us some money on the salary cap.

DeCastro is talented enough to come in as a rookie and already be one of the NFL's best OGs, and as a mid/late first rounder, will be "cheap" vs the salary cap.

Gilmore has good size and good play making ability, and although he's not the top 1-2 CBs in the draft, he is still very talented and likely better (and definitely bigger) than anyone we have at the position. If we could add another CB via free agency, it would be even better.

Another idea i've though about (and i seriously doubt that the Colts will do, it's just an idea), is trading Freeney. I know that he's our best player on defense, but he's also about to make $14 million next season. If we were able to trade him to someone for a first round pick, and draft Copels, i wouldnt be opposed to it. While Copels is nowhere near as good as Freeney is now, he would come to us about $12million cheaper next season, and make it easier to not only re-sign Mathis and Wayne...but also have some $ left to address another CB or DT. Copels is also a bigger DE than we have and is good against the run.

Like i said, not likely (even though we will almost HAVE to at least get Freeney to restructure his deal), but something to think about, none the less!

Well actually New England is the other team with 2 first round picks/ Cincinnati also.

Edited by AustinCollie17(Braxton B.)

Claiborne and Thompson would be amazing and probably not fiesable, I would still like Kalil, anyone else taken in that top three range is a reach unless the Colts trade down. Claiborne and Thompson are projected 13 and 14! I like Kalil to sure up the offensive line, it puts Castonzo at RT and Ijalana at OG, thats two bookends at Tackle for years! To rebuild any team its starts in the trenches. Then the Colts take the next best cover corner after Claiborne, in my opinion thats Alfonzo Denard. Then with the first pick in the second round you can take a NT like Worthy, or wait for value at that position later on, or take someone of value who has fallen on draft boards, which is why I said Manti Te'o. He has fallen to a second round prospect, when the guy is an impact player!

Claiborne and Thompson would be amazing and probably not fiesable, I would still like Kalil, anyone else taken in that top three range is a reach unless the Colts trade down. Claiborne and Thompson are projected 13 and 14! I like Kalil to sure up the offensive line, it puts Castonzo at RT and Ijalana at OG, thats two bookends at Tackle for years! To rebuild any team its starts in the trenches. Then the Colts take the next best cover corner after Claiborne, in my opinion thats Alfonzo Denard. Then with the first pick in the second round you can take a NT like Worthy, or wait for value at that position later on, or take someone of value who has fallen on draft boards, which is why I said Manti Te'o. He has fallen to a second round prospect, when the guy is an impact player!

Wow, yeah I didn't realize Te'o had dropped so far. from the late teens down to 41. I wouldn't be surprised if he rises back up though. I think Notre Dame is in a bit of a slump after getting clobbered by USC. If we could get Te'o in the 2nd round I'd be ecstatic.

And I think there's about a 1% chance the colts draft kalil. If they wind up still being in the top 3 I think they'd either take Coples, Blackmon or Jeffery. We have our bookend tackles. I have no doubt, however, that they'll address the OG position probably in rounds 2-4. Kevin Zeilter is an excellent OG and is projected in the 3rd/4th round because OG simply isn't a position that's taken very high.

Alshon Jeffery, WR South Carolina

Mati Te'o, MLB Notre Dame

Janoris Jenkins, CB North Alabama

I don't think we'll be able to resign Reggie and Mathis, and Reggie will be the one to leave. Maybe we could go and get another veteran CB for cheap like Asante Samuel but I doubt it. But a Powers/Samuel/Jenkins as our CBs sounds pretty good.

I have not seen the draft list of players avaialbe but during the USC/Stanford game they commented that there were some big O linemen coming out from both schools. I would go big and add to the O line with the first pick we have, then maybe look defensive and who is the highest rated DB or LB.

I would take: Justin Blackmon, Cordy Glenn, and Kelechi Osemele. This gives us our next elite WR for the next decade, and two mammoth top notch OGs to go along with our prize OTs we picked up in last year's draft. Then in the 3rd or 4th round we can pick up Ben Jones, C from Georgia, who has been playing alongside Cordy Glenn for the last several years. This will give us the makings of what could very likely be the best O-line in the league for many years to come! Glenn and Osemele are both 345 lbs plus! Imagine the running lanes!

We can address our defensive needs via free agency, with players that already know the ropes.

Edited by jackbutton96

Wow, yeah I didn't realize Te'o had dropped so far. from the late teens down to 41. I wouldn't be surprised if he rises back up though. I think Notre Dame is in a bit of a slump after getting clobbered by USC. If we could get Te'o in the 2nd round I'd be ecstatic.

And I think there's about a 1% chance the colts draft kalil. If they wind up still being in the top 3 I think they'd either take Coples, Blackmon or Jeffery. We have our bookend tackles. I have no doubt, however, that they'll address the OG position probably in rounds 2-4. Kevin Zeilter is an excellent OG and is projected in the 3rd/4th round because OG simply isn't a position that's taken very high.

Ben Ijalana is a versatile player that can play both OT and OG so we could easily still draft Kalil top 3 since I dont think Coples is worth a top 3 pick and neither is Jeffery. But if we miss out on the #1 pick, I vote we either take Kalil, or trade down and get Morris Claiborne and David DeCastro round 1.

I understand what the Colts did last year with their first two picks, but that doesn't mean the team is any better on the offensive line, and I also understand Polian called Ijalana a Tackle and not a Guard, but Polian has never miss evaluated talent before right? I think after previous drafts and the lack of talent really on this roster, it shows we are all human and capable of mistake and miss evaluations. After Luck, Kalil is the second blue chip prospect, thus far rated higher than all the tackles that came out of the draft last year! Why pass on a sure thing? Now that is if we get an early enough pick after a trade down, I also think if we do a trade down with Miami, who will want Luck, we should very well acquire picks and Vonte Davis, who is a proven young corner, allowing the Colts to draft another man coverage corner in my opinion Denard later in the first/ early second round. Seattle and Pete Carrol will probably want Berkley, so I could see another trade down where we just stock pile draft picks and have many second round picks where we can get value. If the Colts stay in the top 5 range after a trade down or two, you have to take a blue chip player and not reach on Claiborne, unless we fall outside of the top 10 with a trade back. If Kalil is gone after another trade down, then we talk Jeffrey or Blackmon.

I understand what the Colts did last year with their first two picks, but that doesn't mean the team is any better on the offensive line, and I also understand Polian called Ijalana a Tackle and not a Guard, but Polian has never miss evaluated talent before right? I think after previous drafts and the lack of talent really on this roster, it shows we are all human and capable of mistake and miss evaluations. After Luck, Kalil is the second blue chip prospect, thus far rated higher than all the tackles that came out of the draft last year! Why pass on a sure thing? Now that is if we get an early enough pick after a trade down, I also think if we do a trade down with Miami, who will want Luck, we should very well acquire picks and Vonte Davis, who is a proven young corner, allowing the Colts to draft another man coverage corner in my opinion Denard later in the first/ early second round. Seattle and Pete Carrol will probably want Berkley, so I could see another trade down where we just stock pile draft picks and have many second round picks where we can get value. If the Colts stay in the top 5 range after a trade down or two, you have to take a blue chip player and not reach on Claiborne, unless we fall outside of the top 10 with a trade back. If Kalil is gone after another trade down, then we talk Jeffrey or Blackmon.

I've got no problem continuing to solidify the OL in the first round, but would prefer to take a player like David DeCastro or Cordy Glenn...2 experienced and proven OGs. Ijalana is neither experienced nor proven as a OG so you're assuming he can make the seamless transition. With him being on IR there is no way to know that prior to the draft. If he were not on IR and we could move him to OG and see if he can make the transition then that would be one thing. But he is on IR so we can't. Therefore, we do know he can play OT but we have no idea if he can play OG. He may have a skill set that many determine would allow him to make the switch...but we don't know.

Ultimately...I agree to disagree.

Edited by Jason

I would love to see the Colts take Trent Richardson; however the love for Addai here is so overwhelming, and while I think Addai only fits what the Colts do, and would ultimately only be successful in a Colts uniform, the guy cannot stay healthy! The worst part is the contract he just received, unless you are a proven healthy and successful running back, you should not get lengthy lucrative contracts, even if his was less than many of the running backs in the NFL, especially this offseason, he is not healthy and reliable enough for the contract he was given. The Colts could have Richardson and Carter as a powerful 1 2 combination on rookie contracts, working hard and playing for a bigger contract in the future. I was going to put Richardson instead of Kalil on mine, but if the Colts get Richardson who is projected 6th, I am not sure how they will get Claiborne also who is projected 13th. More like Richardson, Denard/Thompson, Te’o (Who we both love with the first pick in the second round!)

The whole Kalil shuffle thing just isn't going to happen. Not under any circumstances. Ijalana has only proven the ability to play Tackle, and thats where he stays. Castonzo has been quite an upgrade when healthy. There is no basis for Ben to move to Guard, other than you suggesting that Polian could have mis-evaluated his talent. The Kalil idea only reshuffles the line unnecessarily, while hoping a natural tackle can seamlessly switch positions. We can solve this much easier by trading down, getting more picks, and selecting one of the top two Guards coming out who are naturals there, and would be an immediate upgrade.

We will also never draft a RB in the first round under Irsay/Polian again. At least not if we are smart. HB's are a dime a dozen anymore, and there are no situations where it's worth paying that high of a pick and a contract for an HB. Adrian Petersons and Chris Johnsons don't win championships. Ours have also turned out to be pretty good this year without Manning's help.

Edited by doogansquest

The whole Kalil shuffle thing just isn't going to happen. Not under any circumstances. Ijalana has only proven the ability to play Tackle, and thats where he stays. Castonzo has been quite an upgrade when healthy. There is no basis for Ben to move to Guard, other than you suggesting that Polian could have mis-evaluated his talent. The Kalil idea only reshuffles the line unnecessarily, while hoping a natural tackle can seamlessly switch positions. We can solve this much easier by trading down, getting more picks, and selecting one of the top two Guards coming out who are naturals there, and would be an immediate upgrade.

We will also never draft a RB in the first round under Irsay/Polian again. At least not if we are smart. HB's are a dime a dozen anymore, and there are no situations where it's worth paying that high of a pick and a contract for an HB. Adrian Petersons and Chris Johnsons don't win championships. Ours have also turned out to be pretty good this year without Manning's help.

Adrian Peterson is definitely worth a first round pick, but that's if you need a RB. If you already have guys like Joseph Addai and Carter on the roster, then I think that adding a guy like Richardson is unnecessary.

I agree..

You dont have to draft a RB in the top-5 and you dont need a top-5 pick for a corner..or a wide receiver

..which fits in with the concept of this thread...

We dont NEED the overall No.1 pick to improve our team..

If Polian is slick...maybe we could get two mid-round No.1s and an extra No.2 for our overall No.1

Teo of Notre Dame seems solid but wouldnt that require us to move Angerer outside?

I'm intrigued that many of you feel we need an upgrade at wide reciever.....

We have a proven guy (Gonzalez) we cant even get on the field....why add on there?

I might even take two DBs..Is the oregon kid..the punt returner/CB

Harris...too small at 5'11, 165?

Hey, he didn't specify what picks they were, so I just gave my top 3 picks.

lol...fair enough..he didn't specify exactly what picks they'd be. Though the trade means we would lose the #1 pick and therefore we'd lost the opportunity at Luck too unless somehow he drops from the #1 pick.

If we could trade the #1 for 2 first round picks that would still allow us to get Brandon Thompson and Morris Claiborn in the first round, and Manti Te'o in the 2nd round.....I think I'd have to take a cold shower after the draft. lol