Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Zane Beadles

oldunclemark

During the league's scouting combine this past week, Denver Broncos executive vice president of football operations/general manager John Elway gave a clear, unvarnished opinion of how the team will approach its own group of soon-to-be free agents.

That is, the team won't approach them. At least not out of the gate. At least not before those players can see if the bank accounts are greener on the other side of the fence.

"I think they have to hit the market, the market sets those," Elway said. "Especially where you look where we are and what we have coming up."
Edited by 21isSuperman

....Zane Beadles...future Indianapolis Colt??

LT Castonzo    LG Thomas    C Mack    RG Beadles    RT Cherillious

Backup T: Jonathan Martin

Backup G: Thornton

Backup C: Holmes

......would give the Broncos the kind of bulk on the inside they want in front of quarterback Peyton Manning. If the Broncos are going to play as much in three-wide receiver sets as they have in Manning's two seasons behind center they have to be able to stone-wall defenses in the middle of the field.

Uh...why didn't Polian ever think of that?

Beatles I think was the weak link of Denver's offensive line.  That having been said Denver's offensive line was considered the best in the NFL last year.  So Beatles would probably represent an improvement for us at guard.

Well, sure. Old, small, not enough bulk to hold their ground. Heck, half of them are dead.

Beadles, however, would probably be an upgrade over much of what we got going now.

Just don't over pay.

We definately should look at upgrading the line...especially the interior but Beadles isn't the most exciting G I've seen. I'm more concerned with our running game than anything and more focused at Center. I think we could do much worse than Beadles but I don't think he would be a huge upgrade...at least not over Thomas and I'm hoping Thorton gets better.

We definately should look at upgrading the line...especially the interior but Beadles isn't the most exciting G I've seen. I'm more concerned with our running game than anything and more focused at Center. I think we could do much worse than Beadles but I don't think he would be a huge upgrade...at least not over Thomas and I'm hoping Thorton gets better.

You don't think a 3-year starter would be a major upgrade over an journeyman and 2nd year player..?

Really?

What's an exciting guard prospect?

LT Castonzo    LG Thomas    C Mack    RG Beadles    RT Cherillious

Backup T: Jonathan Martin

Backup G: Thornton

Backup C: Holmes

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/10/4/4800856/indianapolis-colts-2013-nfl-season-pep-hamilton-offense-andrew-luck-trent-richardson

If we get Martin theres a good chance he will be a starter IMO a 3 year Stanford  starter at LT  who by all accounts did a great job  can play the guard positions .

According to what Pep Hamilton has done & wants to do here in Indy & what I'v read in a couple of scouting reports he could be a very good addition .

So IMO Martin will have to man up IMO with the quality Colts players  on both sides of the ball & the ability to reunite with college coach & teammates as A Colt  this may be the best landing spot for him & if it works out the Colts ..

Well sure he'd be better than McGlynn and what Thornton was last year, but I'd rather roll forward with Thornton who is going to improve. Beadles is mediocre and will never be more than that. You can't give up on a lineman after his rookie year, it is the second hardest position to transition to in the pros.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/10/4/4800856/indianapolis-colts-2013-nfl-season-pep-hamilton-offense-andrew-luck-trent-richardson

If we get Martin theres a good chance he will be a starter IMO a 3 year Stanford  starter at LT  who by all accounts did a great job  can play the guard positions .

According to what Pep Hamilton has done & wants to do here in Indy & what I'v read in a couple of scouting reports he could be a very good addition .

So IMO Martin will have to man up IMO with the quality Colts players  on both sides of the ball & the ability to reunite with college coach & teammates as A Colt  this may be the best landing spot for him & if it works out the Colts ..

If Martin starts at LT for us...could Castonzo move to guard?

Beadles (62 consecutive starts on a top-offense) is mediocre and you'd rather roll with Thornton?

Really?  The guy who played for us last year?

Really?

Mediocre is a fair assessment of Beadles at this stage, but he is probably a great choice to compete for a starting spot with Thornton and Thomas and certainly upgrades the overall competence of our line.  I could see Grigson bringing him in on a 1 yr / $2.5M deal.  He won't likely command much more than that, and we might represent his best shot at a multi-year deal in 2015.  Of course, real scouts might agree with you...maybe he'll be signed as a starter by us or someone else on a long term deal.

• 2 weeks later...

Mediocre is a fair assessment of Beadles at this stage, but he is probably a great choice to compete for a starting spot with Thornton and Thomas and certainly upgrades the overall competence of our line.  I could see Grigson bringing him in on a 1 yr / $2.5M deal.  He won't likely command much more than that, and we might represent his best shot at a multi-year deal in 2015.  Of course, real scouts might agree with you...maybe he'll be signed as a starter by us or someone else on a long term deal.

You called it....Jax...5 years

You called it....Jax...5 years

Glad you were able to check this one off your list :goodluck:

Clearly Caldwell and football people at Jax agreed with your assessment.  It is happenning everywhere around the league as popular press opinions are turned upside down in real life.

Its easy to critique offensive linemen positively or negatively because the only proof is the unit's success....

...they don't perform as individuals as much as other positions do...modern metrics notwithstanding

The success of Beadles unit (and he started every game) speaks for itself even as players around him changed....

But there's no way to actually prove he has been en excellent player..only that he's been a member of good unit