Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Marvin Harrison To Be At The Los This Sunday

a06cc

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doesn't sound like either side harbors any resentment over how things played out.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3929284

"There was no hardball with this, just heartache," Polian told ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen.

"Basically, we were not able to come to any kind of agreement, it was not contentious and the Colts have agreed to release him," (Harrisons's agent Tom) Condon said in a phone interview.

I'd love to see the "triplets" (Edge, Harrison and Manning) go into the ring of honor together. Edge and Harrison are both retired and Manning will, more than likely, hang 'em up in the next couple of years. How cool would that be? On a slightly related note, will the Colts retire Manning's number? They didn't retire Marvin's or Edgerrin's but did retire those of Unitas, Raymond Berry and Lenny Moore. I consider Mannning, Harrison and James to be the modern era equivalents of those players. Do teams just not do that anymore?

They didn't retire Marvin's or Edgerrin's but did retire those of Unitas, Raymond Berry and Lenny Moore. I consider Mannning, Harrison and James to be the modern era equivalents of those players. Do teams just not do that anymore?

The NFL strongly discourages teams from retiring numbers as a matter of foresight. Essentially, they don't want teams running out of numbers in 50 years. So the honor is supposed to be taken very seriously under consideration.

The NFL strongly discourages teams from retiring numbers as a matter of foresight. Essentially, they don't want teams running out of numbers in 50 years. So the honor is supposed to be taken very seriously under consideration.

I get it but how do you justify not retiring the numbers of your all-time leaders at their respective positions? This is a storied franchise and these guys (those I mentioned) represent the best to ever play for it. Some teams have non-retirement policies in place for jersey numbers. The Colts aren't one of those teams. If you're not going to make it a policy not to do it then I can't understand not doing it for these guys.

I didn't like seeing Mike Hart in #32 but, at least, he seldom played and was a guy I could root for. Marvin's been gone for 3 years and no one has touched his number. Those are BIG shoes to fill. A number is more than just a number. When you think of #88 for the Colts, you immediately think of Harrison. Same with #32 and #18 for James and Manning. These are iconic players. I can say "#18 killed the Jags last Sunday" and you would instantly know that I meant Manning. For that matter, fans of other teams would know that I meant Manning. We've had the privilege of watching some amazing, hall of fame caliber players. It just seems that we should honor them appropriately. I'm rambling now. :yay:

Edited by IndySouth

plus Andrew Luck's gotta wear '18' when we release Peyton, right??

James was great for the Colts but its Harrison's number that should be retired. For 1 his and Manning's stats are nearly joined at the hip, also I hate how the NFL has snubbed Harrison since he retired. He wasn't in the top 100 of all time, which is a slap in the face to him, the Colts, and the fans.

James was great for the Colts but its Harrison's number that should be retired. For 1 his and Manning's stats are nearly joined at the hip, also I hate how the NFL has snubbed Harrison since he retired. He wasn't in the top 100 of all time, which is a slap in the face to him, the Colts, and the fans.

The question about #88 is whether it should be retired as Harrison's number or Mackey's number

The question about #88 is whether it should be retired as Harrison's number or Mackey's number

Mackey was a tight end who put up great numbers but his accoplishments have already been surpassed by another all-time great Colt; Dallas Clark. I gotta go with Harrison on this one!

Edited by IndySouth

I don't disagree that Manning and Harrison are indelibly linked. What they achieved may never be surpassed. Amazing stuff but let's give James his due.

James put up 9,226 yards and 64 TD's in his 7 seasons (on the ground, he was no slouch in the passing game either) with the Colts. That's about 4,000 more yards and 1 more TD than Lenny Moore had in 12 seasons. I understand that James played in an era of 16 game seasons while Moore did not but this is still an impressive stat. The guy averaged 1300 yards and 9 touchdowns per season despite playing for a team that consistently led the league in passing attempts and yards. Just awesome!

Edited by IndySouth

I don't disagree that Manning and Harrison are indelibly linked. What they achieved may never be surpassed. Amazing stuff but let's give James his due.

James put up 9,226 yards and 64 TD's in his 7 seasons (on the ground, he was no slouch in the passing game either) with the Colts. That's about 4,000 more yards and 1 more TD than Lenny Moore had in 12 seasons. I understand that James played in an era of 16 game seasons while Moore did not but this is still an impressive stat. The guy averaged 1300 yards and 9 touchdowns per season despite playing for a team that consistently led the league in passing attempts and yards. Just awesome!

That is awesome and why I completely agree with him being in the ring of honor. The retired jersey's should be even more rare though. If James coulda retired a Colt and would've won a SB with the Colts, then I'd be on board with retiring #32 as well.

Edited by JoKeR

Mackey was a tight end who put up great numbers but his accoplishments have already been surpassed by another all-time great Colt; Dallas Clark. I gotta go with Harrison on this one!

That's not really fair.

John Mackey was hands down the best tight end of his generation. He revolutionized the position, and was only the second tight end ever elected to the hall of fame - an automatic no-brainer of a decision.

Dallas Clark at his best has only been one of the top five in the league at any given time. The number comparison doesn't mean much at all the way the game has changed. I love Dallas, but he isn't exactly a lock for the hall of fame.

I didn't realize that the Colts had not retired Mackey's number. If it does get retired, I would certainly hope that it will be done with both players names and accomplishments equally recognized. Ignoring the Baltimore past is offensive to those of us who have been Colts fans since before the move.

By the way, it's a given that Peyton's number will be retired. I can't imagine a reason for failing to do so. I also feel that Harrison's number is worthy of retirement. I view him as an all-time great. Edge on the other hand is not. Great player for the Colts obviously, but also not remotely a lock for the hall of fame. He was only an elite back for his first 2 years, and that isn't nearly enough for "all time" consideration. Can you imagine how different this Colts run would have been if he hadn't hurt his knee (and I don't mean that necessarily in a good way - if he stayed healthy Mora might not have been fired, the defense might not have changed, Freeney wouldn't be a Colt, and the Colts might have meandered on as a team with "triplets", but not necessarily an MVP QB who could change history.)

Edited by MAC

Glad to see him getting the recognition he deserves again. He should be in tge Ring of Honor, but his number won't be retired and it's unlikely he makes the HoF anytime in the next decade, so it's nice seeing him be recognized.

As for Edge, get him up there too. If Teddy's up there, Edge should be too. Good all around story, career, and a fan favorite. That should be enough to get him up there.

And as for Peyton. 18 will be retired. The ring will be re-named "Peyton's Circle of Trust".

:D It wasn't my intention to get into an old versus new debate my friend, but I see a trend here.

I have to point out that Moore was as much a wide receiver as a running back. In fact during his best years the Colts primary running back was Alan Ameche - himself a hall of famer. I don't remember ever seeing either (I'm getting up there, but I'm not quite old enough for that), but the stats speak for themselves - once again during a much less offense oriented time period.

I understand the desire to believe that the current generation is the best. I do it myself ALL the time with ALL of my teams. The fact is, however, that the Colts have had some legendary talents in their history. I'm just as proud of them as of the new guys.

It wasn't my intention to get into an old versus new debate my friend, but I see a trend here.

I have to point out that Moore was as much a wide receiver as a running back. In fact during his best years the Colts primary running back was Alan Ameche - himself a hall of famer. I don't remember ever seeing either (I'm getting up there, but I'm not quite old enough for that), but the stats speak for themselves - once again during a much less offense oriented time period.

I understand the desire to believe that the current generation is the best. I do it myself ALL the time with ALL of my teams. The fact is, however, that the Colts have had some legendary talents in their history. I'm just as proud of them as of the new guys.

Obviously, I misfired on that post. I acknowledged that the game has changed and I never claimed that Mackey wasn't great. For his time, Mackey was the best tight end around. No way to accurately predict how his abilities would translate into today's game and, therefore, no way to accurately compare Clark and Mackey. I was just pointing out that Harrison achieved more in #88 than did Mackey and that, while still tremendous, Mackey is no longer the "Gold" standard for Colts tight ends.

Could be a generational thing!

That is awesome and why I completely agree with him being in the ring of honor. The retired jersey's should be even more rare though. If James coulda retired a Colt and would've won a SB with the Colts, then I'd be on board with retiring #32 as well.

I can't argue with that statement. It's just hard for me to imagine retiring 18 and 88 without 32 also being retired. They will be forever linked in my mind!

Obviously, I misfired on that post. I acknowledged that the game has changed and I never claimed that Mackey wasn't great. For his time, Mackey was the best tight end around. No way to accurately predict how his abilities would translate into today's game and, therefore, no way to accurately compare Clark and Mackey. I was just pointing out that Harrison achieved more in #88 than did Mackey and that, while still tremendous, Mackey is no longer the "Gold" standard for Colts tight ends.

Could be a generational thing!

If it was purely generational I'd be talking about Raymond Chester being better than Dallas, and Lydell Mitchell being better than Edge - both statements which are arguable true as well. :P The Colts offense at that time was about the best in football, with an MVP caliber QB and some skill players (and pass rushers) who were amongst the best in the league. The two playoff appearances against the Steelers were loudly billed as "the irresistible force meets the immoveable object" (with unfortunately the "object" prevailing both times).

Any of that sound pleasantly (or perhaps I should say disturbingly) like some recent teams we know? The Colts have had LOTS of good players in the past, and THAT was my generation. In my teens Bert Jones was the be all and end all. When I talk about the Colts stars from the late 50s/early 60s, its just from reading up on and taking pride in my teams history - just like a teenager now might be proud of Eric Dickerson being a Colt but never have seen him play a down.

Regardless, I agree that it is never satisfying to compare players of different generations. Edge could probably bench press Mitchell and Moore over his head simultaneously. Players just get bigger, stronger, and faster all the time. Anytime I try to compare generations I'm actually doing so in terms of comparing a player to those of his era. In other words, maybe if Mackey were playing now he wouldn't even make the squad, and if Clark were playing then he would be "the best ever", but of course it can't work that way. Mackey was apparently even more important to his generation than Tony Gonzalez or Antonio Gates are today. Considering that virtually nobody would even put Dallas in the same class as Gonzalez or Gates, it's hard me for the think that he is more important than Mackey.