Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Great new Andrew story

Hoosier Colts Fan

Soccer would be much better if the incrementally increased the size of the goals until average soccer scores are in the double digits. Watching a game with a score like 2-1 or even worse 1-0 is excruciating.

this is what i have been saying for years. Make the goals big enough were there is an average of 10 goals a game.

Soccer would be much better if the incrementally increased the size of the goals until average soccer scores are in the double digits.  Watching a game with a score like 2-1 or even worse 1-0 is excruciating.

this is what i have been saying for years. Make the goals big enough were there is an average of 10 goals a game.

There are so many things, Americans just don't understand.... ;)

That was a great story.  I especially liked these words by Andrew:

“The fans were very open and accepting,” Luck says of Indianapolis. “I figured, if people are going to accept me to let me be me, then work your butt off, show up early, keep your mouth shut and I think I’m lucky to be surrounded by great teammates.”

As for soccer, I love watching the game and am looking forward to the World Cup.

No much of a fan of clubs or MLS, but I love international soccer. There's just nothing liking pairing the influence of national pride with the energy of team fandom. It creates such a sense of weight for each game. It's not just "this team beat that team" it feels like "this country beat that country".

Also don't get me wrong, I'm an American Football fan way more than a soccer fan, but I'd love to play devil's advocate here. Some might argue that soccer is boring because it's a low scoring affair, but a lot of soccer fans in other countries think NFL is boring because there is so much time between each play and there are so many commercials. There are no commercials in soccer (excluding half time), so one can argue that soccer has the pro of being a sport of no stop competition. Unlike soccer, football teams have time between each play to think and decide how they're going to approach their next strategy. In soccer, the two teams works, think, and move on the fly. Teams act less upon specific play calling and more on a hive mind effort to pick apart their opponent and expose their weaknesses., all in one fluent 45min interval. I've heard some people in this thread mention enlarging the goal size to allow more goals, but that takes away weight of the reward. More is not always better. If a point is harder to obtain, doesn't it make it more exciting when it's achieved?

If there is anyone even remotely on the fence of their opinion of soccer, try giving the World Cup a watch this summer. Other than maybe the summer Olympics there's not really any sporting event quite like it. Cheer on the US (if you're from here), and bask in trying something you're not used to.

Soccer

No thanks

Hate soccer

Well thanks for those in-depth and considered responses...  :sarcasm:  

Soccer would be much better if the incrementally increased the size of the goals until average soccer scores are in the double digits.  Watching a game with a score like 2-1 or even worse 1-0 is excruciating.

I get that it's hard to be on the outside looking in, I struggled to get into NFL initially because of the stop start nature and that's coming from a cricket fan. But really double digit games are all the more fun for there rarity. 

Put it like this, I get a lot of Americans don't like the ideas behind Soccer Football but it must be doing something right for it to have spread throughout the world and top out as the most "popular" worldwide sport. Compare this to most "American" sports struggle to spread throughout the continent let alone world wide. That is not to say I don't think the world of Football could learn a few things from the "Franchise" system of sports in the states, namely trying to promote league parity and financial responsibility. 

I guess it's a culture thing.

feels good to be right, doesn't it? It's the only feeling I know

Though you could argue that your statements in this here topic can't be "right" or "wrong" given that they're opinions. An opinion that is in the minority worldwide (based on an estimated 4 Billion Fans on a world population of 7 Billion). 

To correct your statement then.... "feels good to be opinionated doesn't it?, it's the only feeling I know" and you certainly have an opinion as do many of you :P

The older I get, the more I feel the same way about baseball and basketball. The NBA is pro wrestling in the regular season and MLB I goes on forever.

Hahhahaha no kidding. NBA Basketball is the worst! The refs never call travelling, they palm it every dribble, they goal tend, etc. 

NBA needs to lift the basket to AT LEAST 11'

Though you could argue that your statements in this here topic can't be "right" or "wrong" given that they're opinions. An opinion that is in the minority worldwide (based on an estimated 4 Billion Fans on a world population of 7 Billion).

To correct your statement then.... "feels good to be opinionated doesn't it?, it's the only feeling I know" and you certainly have an opinion as do many of you :P

my opinions are based off facts

So therefore my opinions are facts. That's logical, right?

I see, so show me the "facts" that back up your assertion "Soccer is a waste"... 

You do understand the difference between a fact and an opinion right?

For instance a fact would be something along the lines say that the viewing figures for the 2010 world cup were in the region of 3.5 Billion People. That is a fact. When you factor in a lot of "Soccer" fans live in deprived countries without such accouterments as TVs you can see how that number could be bumped up a bit. That my friend is a sensible extrapolation. 

An opinion is a a view or judgement formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.So until you show me some FACTS to back your statements, not just in this thread then I'm afraid that is all they are. 

Indoor Soccer Football = No rest/No over head height/No Sliding = No Fun

Of course what Andrew failed to realise that Rugby is the superior game to watch and play :P

I used to love indoor. Probably because, to steal from Mayoch, I'm quicker than I am fast so the smaller field made me a better player. I also used to have fun finding out how hard I could board someone without getting flagged.

I like rugby, but don't quite understand all the rules yet.

Hockey's my real back up sport though.

I see, so show me the "facts" that back up your assertion "Soccer is a waste"...

You do understand the difference between a fact and an opinion right?

For instance a fact would be something along the lines say that the viewing figures for the 2010 world cup were in the region of 3.5 Billion People. That is a fact. When you factor in a lot of "Soccer" fans live in deprived countries without such accouterments as TVs you can see how that number could be bumped up a bit. That my friend is a sensible extrapolation.

An opinion is a a view or judgement formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.So until you show me some FACTS to back your statements, not just in this thread then I'm afraid that is all they are.

just try and watch a soccer game. That's all the facts you should need

just try and watch a soccer game. That's all the facts you should need

No once again you seem to be failing to understand, most likely deliberately, what a fact it. Either you're stupid or trolling so which is it to be?

I have watched a fair bit of football both live and on TV and also played it for a fair few years along with the other billions of people so I think the weight of "evidence" would be against you. 

No once again you seem to be failing to understand, most likely deliberately, what a fact it. Either you're stupid or trolling so which is it to be?

I have watched a fair bit of football both live and on TV and also played it for a fair few years along with the other billions of people so I think the weight of "evidence" would be against you.

football is great

We were talking about soccer. Lots of people watch American idol. It's still trash

football is great

We were talking about soccer. Lots of people watch American idol. It's still trash

The proper name for "Soccer" is Association Football... again this is a fact.

Again with your reference to American Idol being "trash" you fail to understand this is just a (subjective) opinion. So to try and prove your point you've made a comparison showing that you don't understand the difference between opinion and proven fact. This from the man claiming to "always be right".

So seriously do you not understand this difference? Or are you, as many on here think, just a attention seeking troll who seeks out arguments with people and when called on it falling back to childish rhetoric to prove your point? 

This site would be best served if each and every member were to put you on ignore.

That is my opinion based on the fact that I and many others find your posting style to be insufferable.

Therefore, my opinion is a fact. 

Here's a nice story about our QB.  Just what we need when all is quiet on the western (colt's) front -- I just love reading about my colts.

http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/Andrew-Luck-Loves-Him-Some-F%C3%BAtbol/d1abfbf1-868d-46cd-91f3-b114b500509f

By the way OP, can I apologise for somewhat derailing this thread. I was aware of Andrew's love of (Association) Football before but still a nice little human interest piece 

I used to love indoor. Probably because, to steal from Mayoch, I'm quicker than I am fast so the smaller field made me a better player. I also used to have fun finding out how hard I could board someone without getting flagged.

I like rugby, but don't quite understand all the rules yet.

Hockey's my real back up sport though.

I see what you're getting at but even on a full size pitch you'd rarely be able to get up to full speed, so certainly acceleration over pace. Though you're right about boarding people  ;)

Rugby once you get the rules is pretty good, though it's getting to the point now, like the NFL, where the players are that big and fast concessions are having to be made to make the game safer. I'm of the bent that sport is our equivalent of gladiatorial combat and well quite frankly I want to see violence in a violent game. As long as players are well remunerated and have had the risks explained to them I say it's down to their own choice whether to play or not. Those who take risks will be rewarded..... 

Seriously I've never enjoyed anything as much as, how you do you Americans say it, "laying the boom" on someone playing rugby. 

Hockey isn't exactly a non violent sport itself! 

This site would be best served if each and every member were to put you on ignore.

That is my opinion based on the fact that I and many others find your posting style to be insufferable.

Therefore, my opinion is a fact.

while I disagree, I do appreciate the logic of your post