Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I highly doubt Dietrich-Smith hits free agency

Not trying to kill everybody's buzz further since Alex Mack isn't gonna happen, but I just realized the Packers have over $30M in cap space this offseason, and the only guys they really need to keep are EDS and Sam Shields. They don't appear to have any alternatives at center, so unless he thinks he's worth $8M a year he's probably going to be retained. 

I think our best bet is De La Puente since New Orleans is up against the cap and still needs to sign Jimmy Graham. The other option could be to sign JD Walton, Fernando Velasco, or Joe Hawley and let them battle it out with Holmes in training camp.

Man I miss Jeff Saturday. :(

Some think Jonathon Goodwin for a year or so to help Holmes adapt.

I'm just hoping our starting center isn't named Satele.

I know Holmes isn't the flashy name but he's also our cheapest alternative. If he can emerge as the starter that's a ton of money we don't need to spend at that position.

Crossing my fingers Holmes can be our guy.

Some think Jonathon Goodwin for a year or so to help Holmes adapt.

I'm just hoping our starting center isn't named Satele.

I know Holmes isn't the flashy name but he's also our cheapest alternative. If he can emerge as the starter that's a ton of money we don't need to spend at that position.

Crossing my fingers Holmes can be our guy.

i wouldnt mind some one on 1 year deal and draft some next year i dont really no college football so dont no bout players but would prefer someone young to groom with luck

Hmmmm...likely no Mack or EDS. That leaves Brian da Lepuente (sp). Is he that much better than Satele or Mcglynn? Maybe so, but I think the guard play next to him was much better than the guard play next to Satele. Makes it a bit harder to truly compare.

Honestly, I think this is one of the tougher offseason calls. Do you sign another non-premium veteran, who will demand a multi-year deal, and basically pull the need to have Holmes develop as a center?

I think that Grigson's comments do not give Satele a ringing endorsement. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

i wouldnt mind some one on 1 year deal and draft some next year i dont really no college football so dont no bout players but would prefer someone young to groom with luck

I'm not a college fan either. But from a pro stand point I do love Alex Mack as a player..

A quarterbacks chemistry with their center is critical.. We learned that when we saw Peyton without Saturday.

If we were ever going to spend money on one player and I had a choice I would choose Mack.

Will it happen? Who knows..

Hmmmm...likely no Mack or EDS. That leaves Brian da Lepuente (sp). Is he that much better than Satele or Mcglynn? Maybe so, but I think the guard play next to him was much better than the guard play next to Satele. Makes it a bit harder to truly compare.

Honestly, I think this is one of the tougher offseason calls. Do you sign another non-premium veteran, who will demand a multi-year deal, and basically pull the need to have Holmes develop as a center?

I think that Grigson's comments do not give Satele a ringing endorsement. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

It is a very tough call and oft debated path forward at C.  I found Grigson's latest presser refreshing in that he clearly tipped his hand that Satele is not in the plans.   I've been consistent in the belief that Holmes will be put in a position to win the job by the staff supported by the contingency of an under the radar journeyman (maybe even McGlynn) along with T. Austin.  I have no argument to offset the expectation by many that the best path is to sign one of the top 3 centers in FA - it is a great path - other than long term financial benefit and believing that Holmes is the guy talentwise.  Everything we know about Holmes is that he is a solid athlete for the position with excellent size and physical characteristics.  He is also a reputed leader, very driven and demands excellence around him from everything we can gather.  These types of personality traits combined with phyisical talent are rare and carry a high probability of success.  It might be a year early, but it is unlikely that Holmes is not, at the very least, competent.  I may be in the minority, but I would trade competent in 2014 for the potential of continuity and excellence for the next 8-10 yrs.

It is a very tough call and oft debated path forward at C.  I found Grigson's latest presser refreshing in that he clearly tipped his hand that Satele is not in the plans.   I've been consistent in the belief that Holmes will be put in a position to win the job by the staff supported by the contingency of an under the radar journeyman (maybe even McGlynn) along with T. Austin.  I have no argument to offset the expectation by many that the best path is to sign one of the top 3 centers in FA - it is a great path - other than long term financial benefit and believing that Holmes is the guy talentwise.  Everything we know about Holmes is that he is a solid athlete for the position with excellent size and physical characteristics.  He is also a reputed leader, very driven and demands excellence around him from everything we can gather.  These types of personality traits combined with phyisical talent are rare and carry a high probability of success.  It might be a year early, but it is unlikely that Holmes is not, at the very least, competent.  I may be in the minority, but I would trade competent in 2014 for the potential of continuity and excellence for the next 8-10 yrs.

I can't see turning the keys over to Holmes just yet. I think if we believe in Holmes we can sign a veteran stop-gap like Jonathan Goodwin for 2014. I think we need to be more sure about what we're gonna get out of Thornton before we can afford to start Holmes. It's not wise to start two unproven O-linemen next to each other. I'd sign a veteran guard like Travelle Wharton or Chad Rinehart to compete with Thornton for the start at RG and slate Holmes in as a backup for 2014. If we can gain more certainty about the rest of the O-line for 2015 then I could see maybe starting Holmes.

I can't see turning the keys over to Holmes just yet. I think if we believe in Holmes we can sign a veteran stop-gap like Jonathan Goodwin for 2014. I think we need to be more sure about what we're gonna get out of Thornton before we can afford to start Holmes. It's not wise to start two unproven O-linemen next to each other. I'd sign a veteran guard like Travelle Wharton or Chad Rinehart to compete with Thornton for the start at RG and slate Holmes in as a backup for 2014. If we can gain more certainty about the rest of the O-line for 2015 then I could see maybe starting Holmes.

The more I think about the C situation, I'm not sure that the best course isn't just to keep status quo (he ducks quickly) and hope that Thomas and Thornton at G helps C play. Re-sign McGlynn and have Satele and Holmes and he battle it out. If Holmes wins, I assume he's better than the other two. If not, then you have a better idea about what you have.

I don't know what C to sign, for how much, and for how long, if it isn't one of the top 2 guys. I'm not sure how much the colts' would be gaining with anyone else other than Mack or EDS.

Maybe keep what we have at C, and sign another guard to ensure the play at that position is better than last year.

The more I think about the C situation, I'm not sure that the best course isn't just to keep status quo (he ducks quickly) and hope that Thomas and Thornton at G helps C play. Re-sign McGlynn and have Satele and Holmes and he battle it out. If Holmes wins, I assume he's better than the other two. If not, then you have a better idea about what you have.

I don't know what C to sign, for how much, and for how long, if it isn't one of the top 2 guys. I'm not sure how much the colts' would be gaining with anyone else other than Mack or EDS.

Maybe keep what we have at C, and sign another guard to ensure the play at that position is better than last year.

Satlele is too expensive to do that with imo. We can get back like $4 million dollars or something for cap space if we cut him. If we want to resign ourselves to probably having terrible play at center again for 2014 we mine as well roll the dice on Holmes and spend Satele's money elsewhere. If we go that route then we just hope maybe Holmes will surprise us and play reasonably well. I'd feel much better about trying Holmes out if we had 2 great guards rather than 1 good one who's coming off injury and 1 that played poorly last year.

It is a very tough call and oft debated path forward at C.

I agree.

If they bring in someone from FA or the Draft to be the starter, are they undercutting Holmes unnecessarily and wasting resources that could be used elsewhere?

If they don't bring someone in and Holmes doesn't pan out, that's a big fail. And the same can be said of Thornton at RG IMO, although I'm pretty optimistic there.

That's why I'm leaning toward thinking they might not cut Satele right away, but rather let the offseason play out a little to see where Holmes is in his development and maybe try to find a C/G swing man to compete and bolster depth at both spots.

It will be interesting to see how they address the interior O-line issue.

I agree.

If they bring in someone from FA or the Draft to be the starter, are they undercutting Holmes unnecessarily and wasting resources that could be used elsewhere?

If they don't bring someone in and Holmes doesn't pan out, that's a big fail. And the same can be said of Thornton at RG IMO, although I'm pretty optimistic there.

That's why I'm leaning toward thinking they might not cut Satele right away, but rather let the offseason play out a little to see where Holmes is in his development and maybe try to find a C/G swing man to compete and bolster depth at both spots.

It will be interesting to see how they address the interior O-line issue.

Yep, you definitely capture both sides of the coin there.  When you consider how many veteran C/G players are always in the market between the draft and training camp and even early into the season, it lessens the risk of the whole thing not working out.  The Jets signed Willie Colon (not a center, I realize) after June 1.  The Steelers signed Fernando Velasco Sept 9th, and he was pretty decent for them when Pouncey went down...to the extent that some suggest bringing him back and moving Pouncey to guard (unlikely).  I'm sure there are multiple examples. Regardless, we won't be without options if we forego a big name FA center.  

Based on Grigson's recent comments, the only way I see Satele making it to camp is if he prefers for the team to see Holmes beat out the incumbent in an honest competition.  It is easy to forget the chemistry among the brotherhood.  If they don't see Holmes as naturally displacing their brother in a fair fight, then that could hamper their acceptance of a young leader at center.  Holmes didn't have a training camp last year to earn his stripes on the field, and that can make a difference.  It could also be that there isn't a veteran center who Grigson legitimately prefers to have in the competition, and having an abundance of cap space he can carry Satele to the final cut with zero penalty and bank the cap space.  I still think he'll let Satele look for work sooner than later.