Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Can we win the Super Bowl this year without upgrading our defense?

SilentHill

Colts  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Are they a Top 10 Team in the NFL

we hve same defense as 2010 and we went to superbowl if manning would not have thrown that pick in the superbowl we would have won the superbowl with the same defense we got now and offense

Here we go again. Can't blame that loss on Manning. We were playing with half a defense and Caldwell just plain got out-coached!

I think so although some will depend on the health.

Angerer and Conner will both be improved so we can expect better and more consistent LB play.

Moala really played well last year, especially late in the year, teaming him up with Nevis provides the Colts a great opportunity to play on the offenses side of the ball. As much as I like AJ, he has his limitations mainly he is only good for about 4 or 5 plays and then he needs a drive or two to recuperate. So, even if the Colts don't bring him back they are only losing about 12-15 effective plays per game. Mathews showed some good ability last year and if he builds on that he will be good in the rotation.

People are pretty hard on Hayden and I'm not going to talk about whether or not he's worth his contract but during the Redskins game something finally clicked in him and he started playing outstanding until his injury. Powers has the skill set to be an all-pro CB he just needs to stay healthy. Tryon showed he's a starter and that was with learning the Colts system on the fly. A year in the system plus a training camp should lead to very good things for Tryon. Then behind him we have Lacey (solid nothing spectacular good dime back), Thomas (people are going to be surprised by his ability, especially in the zone) and rookie Rucker.

Safeties - Bethea is a rock back there. Bullitt is solid then with Chip Vaughn and Al Afalava the Colts should have some descent depth. And hopefully, they don't have to try and depend on Aaron Francisco for anything.

It MIGHT have been possible (but doubtful) with our best LB tackler Session (healthy), but now that's he's going to Jax we need some help if we want to get there. Gary Brackett is smart but can't tackle. http://www.stampedeblue.com/2011/6/13/2221481/why-the-colts-defense-sucks-broken-tackles <-----I'm not the only one. And w/the exception on Freeney and Mathis, the line is pathetic.

Here we go again. Can't blame that loss on Manning. We were playing with half a defense and Caldwell just plain got out-coached!

I could be wrong but I don't think he was blaming the loss on Manning. It's just a fact, if that INT had not been thrown the Colts would have had a very good shot at winning. The Colts were moving the ball, eating up clock and setting themselves up to win. Harper made an excellent play ran it back for a TD and put the game out of reach.

I thought Manning played very well in that game and he was not responsible for the loss but that INT was a back breaker.

If the D is so good, explain why Foster (and other RBs) run through us every time we play him. Opening game last year @Texans "Manning completed 40 of 57 passes for 433 yards and three touchdowns, the fourth-highest opening weekend passing yards total since 1933, and three touchdowns." That still wasn't enough...Foster ran all over our 100% healthy D. "Arian Foster, who spent most of last season on the practice squad, ran for a team record 231 yards and scored three touchdowns." I bet anybody who says the Colts rushing D is good, hasn't and will never pick the Colts D for their fantasy D...Why?...Because deep down you know they're terrible. (Pick 'em...I dare ya...see what happens.)

If the D is so good, explain why Foster (and other RBs) run through us every time we play him. Opening game last year @Texans "Manning completed 40 of 57 passes for 433 yards and three touchdowns, the fourth-highest opening weekend passing yards total since 1933, and three touchdowns." That still wasn't enough...Foster ran all over our 100% healthy D. "Arian Foster, who spent most of last season on the practice squad, ran for a team record 231 yards and scored three touchdowns." I bet anybody who says the Colts rushing D is good, hasn't and will never pick the Colts D for their fantasy D...Why?...Because deep down you know they're terrible. (Pick 'em...I dare ya...see what happens.)

Can't run when you are behind on the scoreboard. We have been saying it for years but the D is built to protect a lead and I have faith that the Colts O can return to a similar level that we saw in 2004.

The Colts O is great on 1st series drives...they often get the lead first.

If teams are always playing catch-up and you can't run the ball when you're down, why do teams continue to run the ball? (I'll answer it...because they know we can't stop them). Plus...Running the ball and taking time off the clock keeps Manning off the field...

Giving up 120 yds a game vs every team will never get it done. Dont count on a magical year like 2006 when we were pretty bad during the reg season vs the run and happened to fix the problem come playoff time, that was a rare and prob wont happen again. The fact is if we had a good run D, we would prob have 2 more Championship banners hanging up now. Perfect example is our last playoff game vs the Jets, all Rex told his boys at half time was run the ball down there throats plain and simple and guess what we lost a winnable game because our d couldnt stop senior citizen LT, or bummy sean greene

If healthy, yes. If we can have some good luck and not have so many players injured and missing games, we will be fine on both sides of the ball. However, you can't predict injuries and they are the key factor. I would like to see more depth at LB now that Session is gone and at S because we don't have anyone solid behind Bethea and Bullitt.

I could be wrong but I don't think he was blaming the loss on Manning. It's just a fact, if that INT had not been thrown the Colts would have had a very good shot at winning. The Colts were moving the ball, eating up clock and setting themselves up to win. Harper made an excellent play ran it back for a TD and put the game out of reach.

I thought Manning played very well in that game and he was not responsible for the loss but that INT was a back breaker.

exactly

I dont think so. I still feel they need to make some moves. Small moves like Landry and Mebane will drastically change the outcome for the Colts. Offense we are set. The defense is were we need help and we all know this. Also that 10yard cushion are DBs give has to stop as well. So annoying to see 3rd and 3 and the DBs give up a 7 yard cushion.

Upgrading the defense? You mean like through the draft? That thing that happens every year?

If we keep decently healthy on both sides of the ball, then yes we win a lot of games. Even have a shot of winning the thing.

As another poster said, if we have a decently healthy team, the Colts are very tough to beat. The defense is built to stop the big play. We put the faith in our HOF QB to score and score often and use the defense to hamper the other teams ability to play keep up. Any time we've been beaten it's been a combination of the offense not scoring and the defense not stopping the other offense. If the offense converts scores on misfires, we win. If the defense stops the other offense, we win. But what most people don't get is that this team is not built to be both. With so much money tied up in the offense one can hardly blame the defense for not havin the firepower to keep up w/ playoff caliber teams every series. And as a GM you wouldn't gameplan that. With a QB like Manning you surround him with as much firepower and every thing he needs to win the game w/ his offense.

if the colts get lucky and get favorable match ups in the playoffs then yes...and by that i mean teams with average qb's like sanchez and flaco. if we have to face teams like the pats, pitt or SD then no i don't think the D is good enough.

I dont think so. I still feel they need to make some moves. Small moves like Landry and Mebane will drastically change the outcome for the Colts. Offense we are set. The defense is were we need help and we all know this. Also that 10yard cushion are DBs give has to stop as well. So annoying to see 3rd and 3 and the DBs give up a 7 yard cushion.

I'm so tired and frustrated of seeing our DBs give a 7 yard cushion on a 3rd and short. Play calling could be another issue on defense, Coyer's first season was good, but last year was not so great. He will need to have the defense performing well this season or else he should be let go

I'm so tired and frustrated of seeing our DBs give a 7 yard cushion on a 3rd and short. Play calling could be another issue on defense, Coyer's first season was good, but last year was not so great. He will need to have the defense performing well this season or else he should be let go

Or let's give the guy the benefit of the doubt. You said yourself he had a good first year. Then he faced an onslaught of injuries and had to dummy down the defense.

Wow cant believe people actually voted yes. Were they even watching last season. Lets be real the colts defense is medicore at best and the only excuse people give is Freeney Mathis and Betha. Other then that Steven Hacking can play better then half the defense on the field. Yes we have Powers when he halty and we have mediocre Hayden when he not blowing it.

Can't run when you are behind on the scoreboard. We have been saying it for years but the D is built to protect a lead and I have faith that the Colts O can return to a similar level that we saw in 2004.

Why shouldn't our Defense be able to play well without the lead?!?! That's my biggest pet peeves about the def. 'they are built to play with a lead' and that's just how it is. Why cant our def be good when it's 0-0, 7-14, 10-21?

Why shouldn't our Defense be able to play well without the lead?!?! That's my biggest pet peeves about the def. 'they are built to play with a lead' and that's just how it is. Why cant our def be good when it's 0-0, 7-14, 10-21?

SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS be quite we can not question the whole Colts organization on doing thing.

Upgrading the defense? You mean like through the draft? That thing that happens every year?

If we keep decently healthy on both sides of the ball, then yes we win a lot of games. Even have a shot of winning the thing.

As another poster said, if we have a decently healthy team, the Colts are very tough to beat. The defense is built to stop the big play. We put the faith in our HOF QB to score and score often and use the defense to hamper the other teams ability to play keep up. Any time we've been beaten it's been a combination of the offense not scoring and the defense not stopping the other offense. If the offense converts scores on misfires, we win. If the defense stops the other offense, we win. But what most people don't get is that this team is not built to be both. With so much money tied up in the offense one can hardly blame the defense for not havin the firepower to keep up w/ playoff caliber teams every series. And as a GM you wouldn't gameplan that. With a QB like Manning you surround him with as much firepower and every thing he needs to win the game w/ his offense.

i can def see where your coming from but, dont you think its time to change how we are built. It hasnt gotten the job done, The NFL has evolved into stronger, faster, bigger...We are just faster if you get my drift