Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Would you be sad or happy if we drafted

Jordan Matthews from Vanderbilt in the 2nd round this year.  I know we obviously have many more needs than WR, but I'm still not sold that Darick Rogers, Brazil, or Whalen are going to be our answers for the future.  After Reggie retires we're very thin at WR.  

He has great size, solid speed, probably the most polished route runner in the draft, fluid body control, and has great hands.  A big red zone target that can win jump balls and is good after the catch which is perfect for the type of offense we're running.

I can see him falling to us like Keenan Allen fell to the 3rd round last year.  They're pretty similar, Matthews is obviously bigger.  All in all if we did end up drafting him I would be pretty happy he seems like he has everything he needs to become a #1 WR for us.

For whatever it's worth....   here's his bio from NFL.com...

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/jordan-matthews?id=2543500

They like him alot...   but don't love him...   a 2nd/3rd rounder....    roughly the same review from ESPN.com as well...

Here's the ESPN review...

Production 1 2010: (12/1) 15-181-12.1-4 2011: (13/10) 41-778-19-52012: (13/13) 94 -1,323-14.1-8

Height-Weight-Speed 2 Prototypical NFL size for a WR. Top-end speed is average to slightly below average.

Durability 1 Big, strong and flexible receiver. Has played in all 38 games (24 starts) during first three seasons.

Intangibles 2 Solid family background. Intelligent, hardworking and driven individual. Has some WR diva qualities. Cousin of Hall of Fame WR Jerry Rice. Son of Roderick and Brenda Matthews. Active in community service projects. Spent time on a mission trip to Africa. Also plays piano.

1 = Exceptional   2 = Above average   3 = Average   4 = Below average   5 = Marginal

Wide Receiver Specific Traits

Separation Skills: 3  Above average initial burst off the line for a receiver with his size. Top-end speed is average (at best) and he has to gear down a bit in order to drop weight at top of stem. But does get in and out of breaks quicker than some other big WR prospects in this class, including Mike Evans (Texas A&M). Uses size effectively to shield defenders, which frequently allows him to overcome inability to separate with route running. Very good field awareness. Finds soft spots in zone. Effectively works back to QB on broken plays. Displays good sideline awareness too.

Ball Skills: 2  Overall ball skills are good. Frequently lets ball get into pads. Would like to see him attack the football more aggressively. But looks the ball in and shows very good concentration in traffic. Above average body control for size and flashes ability to adjust to the ball while in the air. Does a good job of catching the ball over his head. Average hand-eye coordination. Will adjust to the ball and make some tough catches but also will fight the ball on occasion.

Big play ability: 3   Long strider. Fires out of blocks with adequate quickness for size but lacks the speed to consistently threaten vertically in the NFL. Does have the length and size to out-muscle defenders on jump balls. Also appears on tape to have good leaping ability. Below average elusiveness and does not make many defenders miss after the catch. But does show a surprising second-gear when he gets a crease and he also will drag defenders for additional yards after contact.

Competitiveness: 2  Willing blocker. Adequate toughness as a blocker. Can improve his angles but usually gets in solid position and is big and strong enough to at least position and wall-off as a stalk blocker. Frequently works middle of field and usually is fearless. But got pushed around a bit by Florida DS Matt Elam (Ravens) in 2012 game, and appeared to short-arm a slant with Elam lurking.

1 = Exceptional  2 = Above average  3 = Average  4 = Below average  5 = Marginal

I don't think anyone here is opposed to getting him if he's there. If you're looking for a guy to replace Reggie, he's the best bet ideally. He runs the best routes out of all the receivers. Route running, good hands, and consistency is what made Reggie so good. Plus Matthews is 6'3', which is great since we need more size on our receiving corps anyways.

I don't think its a need, but if he's there in the 2nd, and depending on what we had done in FA, why not? A future WR corps of Rogers, Mathews, and Hilton does sound good. That's assuming Rogers develops into the number one I expect him to. I definitely wouldn't be sad, but I may have mixed feelings about it. It all depends on what we do in FA.

I like him, but my issue is that he's not a Reggie Wayne replacement.  I'm of the opinion that if we draft a WR, it should be someone capable of replacing Wayne.  Otherwise, he's just another TY Hilton.  And I don't mean that ot be a bad thing at all.  I'm just not sure that TY is that #1 guy.  TY is a jack of all trades and can do everything as good as anyone...but I want a WR that is a "#1 WR".  And by that I mean someone who can take the pressure off TY Hilton.  Hilton is so dangerous, that if we can get a "#1 WR" to take the coverage off of TY, we will be in good shape at WR.  Think Randy Moss and Wes Welker.  It's a complimentary thing...not a competition.

Disagree, Matthews definitly has #1 potential, He has great size(6'2), Very underrated speed...especially with the ball in his hands...He blocks well when asked to, He has to develop his route running and sometimes his decision making on screens is poor....going outside when he should go inside...Has to get better at making the tough catches, A bit lanky...Maybe lanky isn't the right word...But I think he could add a little more muscle, I dont think he is an automatic #1 wr right out of the gate when drafted but the potential is there........a definite #2, TY in my opinion would be best used as a #2 or slot wr where his speed could be better taken advantage of with "gimmicky" type plays.....End Arounds for example...He needs to be involved much more then that though of course

I don't have anything against Matthews- I think he'd be a great replacement for Reggie. I'm inclined to see I'd rather take another position, but ultimately, it should go to whoever can make the biggest impact on the team. Of all the players likely to fall to us, (including Mathews, Hageman, Gabe Jackson, Reynolds, Attaochu, Fuller, Jean-Baptiste, Sutton), I take Attaochu. I believe out of all of them, he's proved the most, has a good combination of rushing the passer from the LEO position, and dropping back in coverage.

As a replacement for Reggie Wayne.. No.

A 2nd/3rd rounder is not a replacement for a Hall of Fame caliber player like Reggie.

I wouldn't spend our 2nd round pick on a WR. Just don't think we need one that bad.

Also, we need to see what happens in FA.

Do you have some basis for that opinion other than him being a 2nd rounder? Because that's not a good reason to think he won't be a #1. Vincent Jackson was a late 2nd rounder, Brandon Marshall was a 4th rounder, Antonio Brown was a 6th rounder... I could keep going.

I like him, but my issue is that he's not a Reggie Wayne replacement.  I'm of the opinion that if we draft a WR, it should be someone capable of replacing Wayne.  Otherwise, he's just another TY Hilton.  And I don't mean that ot be a bad thing at all.  I'm just not sure that TY is that #1 guy.  TY is a jack of all trades and can do everything as good as anyone...but I want a WR that is a "#1 WR".  And by that I mean someone who can take the pressure off TY Hilton.  Hilton is so dangerous, that if we can get a "#1 WR" to take the coverage off of TY, we will be in good shape at WR.  Think Randy Moss and Wes Welker.  It's a complimentary thing...not a competition.

Not going to address the Randy Moss comparison (since Randy Moss is the most physically gifted receiver of all time). 

What is it about Matthews game that makes you think he's not a #1 guy? He catches a ton of passes, he gets vertical, he runs every route, great size, ability to snag balls up high, good hands, can beat physical coverage, etc. To me, he is the prototypical #1 receiver. More developed than Demaryius Thomas, more athletic than Eric Decker, better hands than both... Not sure what someone might think is missing from Jordan Matthews' game in order to view him as a potential #1.

I compare him to Year 4 Andre Johnson, just not quite as physical. But he's a much better receiver at this point than Johnson was coming out. 

Not going to address the Randy Moss comparison (since Randy Moss is the most physically gifted receiver of all time). 

What is it about Matthews game that makes you think he's not a #1 guy? He catches a ton of passes, he gets vertical, he runs every route, great size, ability to snag balls up high, good hands, can beat physical coverage, etc. To me, he is the prototypical #1 receiver. More developed than Demaryius Thomas, more athletic than Eric Decker, better hands than both... Not sure what someone might think is missing from Jordan Matthews' game in order to view him as a potential #1.

I compare him to Year 4 Andre Johnson, just not quite as physical. But he's a much better receiver at this point than Johnson was coming out. 

I know the Moss/Welker comparison overshot the purpose of my whole comment, but it was more for demonstrative purposes.  Taking your example of Andre Johnson, if he had a guy like TY Hilton in year 4, it would have been an extremely dangerous combo that made the whole better than the sum of its parts, which was the point I was attempting to drive home, albeit, rather candidly.

When you said he had great size, it made me wonder what I originally looked at, because I remember thinking as I was writing it, that he was shorter than 6 foot, which would have been a big part of my analysis (which is why I said he would have been another TY Hilton).  I must have accidentally looked at the wrong field in the data chart.  That part was obviously wrong and changes how I look at Jordan.  Another part of my analysis was that he didn't have the speed to be a solid X WR (4.55s 40 time before the combine was what I was seeing).  His running a 4.45 puts him in the above average range (and on par with Reggie Wayne's combine time, if memory serves).  So, I mean, taking my initial error and his combine, and count him as a guy who might have won me over a little bit after yesterday.