Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Grigson only signs Alex Mack, Jairus Byrd, and Vontae Davis? All three guys are going to make at least $8M a year, so if he signed the three of them, they would obviously be the only FAs we could afford....save for the vet minimum guys you sign to fill out the rest of your camp roster.

Some people prefer a more moneyball approach to free agency, others want to see the biggest name guys brought in to rock the shoe. Last year I liked Grigson's approach for the most part. He filled a lot of the roster holes with adequate starters. This year I wouldn't mind at all if he signed the above. Alex Mack is regularly a top 3 center and could be even better with a decent QB playing behind him. Jairus Byrd is the best deep safety in the game; better than Earl Thomas and Devin McCourty. We all know how shutdown Vontae can be at his best, maybe having a reliable safety over the top would make him even better. 

Obviously I'm projecting a bit, but I don't think guard will be as big of a need next year, especially if we signed Mack. Thornton was not good in his rookie year, but he was playing one of the hardest positions to transition from college to the NFL. Olinemen, especially ones that switch positions, generally have a really hard time in their first year. Thornton will be better next year and I don't believe guard is as big a need.

So how would everyone feel if these were the only signings of the offseason?

I'd rather grab a center like EDS and use the difference between him and Mack to sign a LB like Karlos Dansby. I love the signing of Byrd and I think that Vontae being re-signed is a given.

So if these 3 moves all happened, I would like them, tho not as much as I would if we were to grab an ILB and a slightly lower level C.

My opinion is that would be a bad idea. We have to many other holes to fill, ILB, DL, CB, and maybe OG and OLB. We would then have to hit big in the draft and get a starting ILB, and either a high caliber D lineman or CB. I had rather spread the money around on 3 or 4 big names than 2 huge names. Example being, had you rather have Jones, Soliai, Dansby, and Shields, then a vet Center, or just Mack and Byrd? You never know what Grigs may do though. I do think he will target bigger name players this offseason, but not those two IMO.

Vontae is getting resigned so that's a non-issue. We don't NEED Byrd. But we really could use Mack.

So if we just did what you describe, I'd be disappointed. I'd like to see more mid-tier role players like last year.

I'd rather grab a center like EDS and use the difference between him and Mack to sign a LB like Karlos Dansby. I love the signing of Byrd and I think that Vontae being re-signed is a given.

So if these 3 moves all happened, I would like them, tho not as much as I would if we were to grab an ILB and a slightly lower level C.

I can't argue with either point made by Brian or Dustin. I'm a huge fan of Byrd though. I can't lie. Nothing more to add. 

Grigson only signs Alex Mack, Jairus Byrd, and Vontae Davis? All three guys are going to make at least $8M a year, so if he signed the three of them, they would obviously be the only FAs we could afford....save for the vet minimum guys you sign to fill out the rest of your camp roster.

Some people prefer a more moneyball approach to free agency, others want to see the biggest name guys brought in to rock the shoe. Last year I liked Grigson's approach for the most part. He filled a lot of the roster holes with adequate starters. This year I wouldn't mind at all if he signed the above. Alex Mack is regularly a top 3 center and could be even better with a decent QB playing behind him. Jairus Byrd is the best deep safety in the game; better than Earl Thomas and Devin McCourty. We all know how shutdown Vontae can be at his best, maybe having a reliable safety over the top would make him even better. 

Obviously I'm projecting a bit, but I don't think guard will be as big of a need next year, especially if we signed Mack. Thornton was not good in his rookie year, but he was playing one of the hardest positions to transition from college to the NFL. Olinemen, especially ones that switch positions, generally have a really hard time in their first year. Thornton will be better next year and I don't believe guard is as big a need.

So how would everyone feel if these were the only signings of the offseason?

Nice post man! Well thought too actually. You need to share your insights more often Peytonator. Good stuff.  :thmup:

Byrd would force Davis to raise his game a few more notches no question. That's my problem, when I love a safety like Byrd, I get greedy & focus on luxurious perks vs essential needs.  haha

I agree, that we will resign Davis, but I do not see Grigson going after Byrd or Mack.  As Grigson said last year, he does not go after big name FAs.  I would be fine with any one of the lower top tier Centers or FS.  Pick-up rest in draft or 2nd tier FA after draft.

I agree, that we will resign Davis, but I do not see Grigson going after Byrd or Mack. As Grigson said last year, he does not go after big name FAs. I would be fine with any one of the lower top tier Centers or FS. Pick-up rest in draft or 2nd tier FA after draft.

I'm sure you have a better source than me, but my recollection was him saying he WOULDN'T go after big name FAs last year, not that it is against some kind of principles he has. I suspect his approach last year was all about necessity.

I agree, that we will resign Davis, but I do not see Grigson going after Byrd or Mack.  As Grigson said last year, he does not go after big name FAs.  I would be fine with any one of the lower top tier Centers or FS.  Pick-up rest in draft or 2nd tier FA after draft.

Do you happen to have a source where he said that?

I think it was more along the lines of he wouldn't go after FAs based on name, not that he wouldn't sign a big named free agent.

I've been on the Dansby train for a while now so it's hard for me to disagree. Really though, I think it's possible he was made to look slightly better than he is on a loaded Arizona defense. As for EDS, he had a good year no doubt, but he is also playing on an underrated Packer line where he lines up next to Josh Sitton. I worry he may be a bit of a system center. Alex Mack has balled it up since he entered the league, regardless of situation and what's around him. 

I bet we could get Desmond Bishop on a really cheap deal to help fill out the LB position. 

I'm sure you have a better source than me, but my recollection was him saying he WOULDN'T go after big name FAs last year, not that it is against some kind of principles he has. I suspect his approach last year was all about necessity.

Didn't we have as much cap space last year as this (or close).  With this said, what makes this year different from last year?  This year it is Byrd and Mack.  Last year it was Byrd and Vasquez. 

IMO, I do not see Grigson putting in cap purgatory by signing big name FAs, so when it comes time to sign our 2012 draft class we have problems.

Do you happen to have a source where he said that?

I think it was more along the lines of he wouldn't go after FAs based on name, not that he wouldn't sign a big named free agent.

It was on this forum with link and on Colts. com home page last year.

As for your last statement, are they not they same?

I would like to see Mack or Byrd come here like most others, but I do not see it.

Didn't we have as much cap space last year as this (or close).  With this said, what makes this year different from last year?  This year it is Byrd and Mack.  Last year it was Byrd and Vasquez. 

IMO, I do not see Grigson putting in cap purgatory by signing big name FAs, so when it comes time to sign our 2012 draft class we have problems.

Byrd was franchise tagged and Vasquez took less money to play in Denver. It's not like he was like "yeah I really don't want Byrd or Vasquez" lol

As for your last statement, are they not they same?

No. Brian Orakpo is a a big name free agent. If we didn't have Mathis I would expect Grigson would try to pursue him. He's big name and great. 

Last year Steven Jackson was a big name FA. He was old and washed up.

Going after a guy like Steven Jackson is an example of signing a guy based on his name. 

The difference in my mind is the number of holes to fill.  Last year, the Colts really needed almost everything but QB1 and TE.  This year, they need C, ILB, maybe DE, and depth.

I don't want them to put themselves in cap heck either, but they have money to spend on a few key upgrades, instead of needing improvement throughout.

If we win a Super Bowl or 2 is cap purgatory worth it? ???? Or do wanna keep losing in divisional round?

There wouldn't even be a cap purgatory. By the time our 2012 draft guys need contracts other big contracts like Mathis, Reggie and Toler would be off the books and guys like Cherilus, RJF, Landry, and Walden would be easily cuttable. 

This would really put the pressure on for some savvy drafting and vet minimum pick ups to compliment the strategy. But honestly, as long as the impact players stayed healthy I think the team would improve from where we were this year, and potentially by a lot.

I don't expect that Grigson will take this approach, but if he drafted as keenly as he did in 2012 I definitely could  see it resulting in a Superbowl  next year if the chips fall right.

I really want Byrd, but we need to protect Luck. The interior line has to get better, and we need to upgrade the center position in particular, but think we can do that aside from Mack.

If we had a ball-hawking FS, a punishing SS, and the corners can stay healthy, the secondary would be one of the top couple in the league. A true FS that allows Landry to roam free would pay huge dividends.