Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Kirk Cousins: Will he stay a backup in Washington....or...?

If I were the GM for one of the 4 teams listed, or any team that needed a quarterback, I would trade my 2nd for Cousins in a heartbeat, and use my top-half 1st rounder for trade bait.

While he is unproven and a 2nd is steep, its less steep than a 1st for a more unproven rookie.

And the rookies all seem to have their flaws.  Manziel is a coaches nightmare, Bridgewater is about as stout as a skeleton, and Bortles has a questionable resume.  I don't think any other potential 1st round quarterback is rated very high.  They are worthy of a low 1st rounder that wouldn't be that much different than my high 2nd I'm giving up for a young QB that has actually shown promise while playing in the NFL.

With the Combine quickly upon us, teams intensely putting together their Big Boards including their wants and needs, a rumor out of Washington says that Kirk Cousins could be had for possibly a 2nd round choice.  What would you do if you were:

• Houston
  • Cleveland
  • Jacksonville
  • Minnesota
  • etc.???

My thoughts are, right, wrong...crazy...not...that Cleveland should look to make that trade using a second rounder instead of drafting one of the rookies.  Cousins is well known throughout BIG 10 territory and plays well in all weather.  I trust him much more than an unproven Bridgewater or Manziel in the Great White North. 

Houston:  Make the trade and pick Clowney......others :)

This is my opinion...what is yours.  Lets have some fun!!

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000326630/article/report-skins-want-secondrounder-for-kirk-cousins

NFL%20Logos%20II.jpg

Heres my thoughts Bears in a 2 way with Cleveland ,Browns aquire Cousins and trade straight up for often injured Jay C.LOL just some wishful thinking on my part.Brother you know I love Cousins and his upside !

I'm surprised the Skins are so ready to deal Cousins. RG3 looked horrible this season & I don't have faith that RG3 will return to his rookie powerhouse status. You need a QB that is healthy & can win games or Gruden will get fired within a year. Owners are not giving coaches a 3 year window to flourish anymore with a deep Playoffs run. Win now as in this November & December not 2 seasons from now. 

Brother I fear RG is going to be another M. Vick ,in the sense often injured and not helping his team.

Amen to that Hoyer can play. I really like that kid. If Cleveland is patient, Hoyer could be the man in Ohio. Stop firing coaching staffs so darn much already. It's like Oakland 2.0. LOL! 

I must admit I forgot about Hoyer a little bit after his injury.  Will he become a solid every day QB?  Was the injury a fluke or will it be pesky like a Bradford...RG3??  I hope he stays healthy as I do all QBs (Unless they are out when they play us)   :spit:

Cleveland where NFL careers go to die. Man, I feel so sorry for Joe Thomas. I'd love to see him in blue & white. 

"Cleveland could be a pretty solid team next year"...How many decades have I heard that line now? LOL! The curse of irrelevancy that will never undergo metamorphosis. The more things change; the more they remain the same. 

There were times last year it looked like Cleveland was ready to turn the corner...only to have yet another QB go down....They have some talent on both sides of the ball.

I must admit I forgot about Hoyer a little bit after his injury.  Will he become a solid every day QB?  Was the injury a fluke or will it be pesky like a Bradford...RG3??  I hope he stays healthy as I do all QBs (Unless they are out when they play us)   :spit:

IMO if I were an NFL owner or Gm ,never go after the scrambling QB that likes running,there are very few who will hold up physically in this league.

Good point Brent. At least Cousins have played effectively in a baptism by fire NFL offense, which means more than a couple of college hopefuls who have not faced NFL LBs or DE's yet. 

Eye in the sky film gives you more to work with than a wet behind the ears rookie in shorts & a t-shirt at the Combine. True, you can draw up plays on the chalkboard, but there is no substitute for live rounds in the pass rushers gun IMO. 

Love this SW...you know that is how I roll!  :)

IMO if I were an NFL owner or Gm ,never go after the scrambling QB that likes running,there are very few who will hold up physically in this league.

That is why I like the body of Cousins vs. little legs Manziel.  I feel he will be hurt in no time flat.  He will get flattened...however :)

That is why I like the body of Cousins vs. little legs Manziel.  I feel he will be hurt in no time flat.  He will get flattened...however :)

In total agreement Brother,he wont last long in this league ,I like Bridgewaters chances in the league far more than Johnnys.You know I love Cousins.

If I were Cleveland's G.M I would trade a high 3rd for Cousins ...Then draft Watkins in the 1st...They already have a very good defense, and with Hoyer and Cousins at QB they can't go wrong..Then in the 2nd get the franchise back..Watkins, Gordon, and Jordan at TE will give them an explosive offense..Other route they could go is taking Manziel if he drops to 4 and picking up 1 of the many big time receivers with their 2nd 1st rounder..Let Manzeil sit behind Hoyer and develop a year ...Either scenario Cleveland is going to be very dangerous very soon bank on it..!

Heres my thoughts Bears in a 2 way with Cleveland ,Browns aquire Cousins and trade straight up for often injured Jay C.LOL just some wishful thinking on my part.Brother you know I love Cousins and his upside !

Are you making this trade for Tammie, the Bears, or yourself?  HA HA!  Just kidding Brother.  Interesting.  Starting to wonder if Cutler has plum lost it.  

tumblr_maifujtzd41rge9rdo1_500.jpg

In total agreement Brother,he wont last long in this league ,I like Bridgewaters chances in the league far more than Johnnys.You know I love Cousins.

I said this in another thread, but I will say it again.  There is a fine line between confident and cocky.  Manziel is cocky.  That gets you annihilated in the NFL.  You have to be smart AKA the Russell Wilson baseball slide  :thmup:

If I were Cleveland's G.M I would trade a high 3rd for Cousins ...Then draft Watkins in the 1st...They already have a very good defense, and with Hoyer and Cousins at QB they can't go wrong..Then in the 2nd get the franchise back..Watkins, Gordon, and Jordan at TE will give them an explosive offense..Other route they could go is taking Manziel if he drops to 4 and picking up 1 of the many big time receivers with their 2nd 1st rounder..Let Manzeil sit behind Hoyer and develop a year ...Either scenario Cleveland is going to be very dangerous very soon bank on it..!

Interesting....that offense would move the ball now wouldn't it?  :)  

Still wondering aloud what Houston will do with 1...Manziel?  Clowney....Bride-over-troubled Waters?  (OK...bad music joke.)  :)

Like BotT syas, draft is pretty deep.  if one of the 3 (Bridgewater, Manziel, Bortles) coming out doesn't completely wow you with their ability to be consistently good at the NFL level, then trade your #1 for a ton of picks, give up your second for Cousins and go for the AFC South crown again; I'm speaking to you Texans... (They really need a QB)

Cousins won't be top 10 QB, but likely right after that tier and with a solid team in place around him, he can get them to the SB.  and i'd hate that for Colts sake, but pleased the AFC South rep will rise again.

Like BotT syas, draft is pretty deep.  if one of the 3 (Bridgewater, Manziel, Bortles) coming out doesn't completely wow you with their ability to be consistently good at the NFL level, then trade your #1 for a ton of picks, give up your second for Cousins and go for the AFC South crown again; I'm speaking to you Texans... (They really need a QB)

Cousins won't be top 10 QB, but likely right after that tier and with a solid team in place around him, he can get them to the SB.  and i'd hate that for Colts sake, but pleased the AFC South rep will rise again.

Nice post...having a lot of picks looms large in this scenario!!  I agree with your assessment of Cousins as well.  Hwill have flashes of being that top 10 QB, but be in that second 10...just an opinion!!  

Preach Brother Jay Preach! :worthy: Give me a steady pocket passer any day of the week man. Like Brent said, speed sounds great until you get sacked & pancaked on the ground like flap jack.  haha

Even FX Stryker wisely stated in another thread that Luck's size & body frame helps with his overall durability. Hey FX, is your user name based on that scene from the comedy "Airplane?" 

No, I am not condoning physical violence against a woman or anyone else for that matter. I just remember watching this classic comedy in my younger days I guess. 

By the way, this was one of the most pleasant threads I have ever done.  Everybody had an opinion and nobody slammed on each other.  I do not see that much on here anymore and I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who posted here!!!

like-button2.jpg

By the way, this was one of the most pleasant threads I have ever done.  Everybody had an opinion and nobody slammed on each other.  I do not see that much on here anymore and I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who posted here!!!

like-button2.jpg

Refreshing to say the least Brother,even tho we are very like minded ,you and I even don't have the very same opinion on everything.Why cant we all have opinions of course without being ludicrous,that being said we don't have to try to outdo or undermine peoples comments,really we all need to learn to agree to disagree.Its good to have different points of view most of the time.  

Refreshing to say the least Brother,even tho we are very like minded ,you and I even don't have the very same opinion on everything.Why cant we all have opinions of course without being ludicrous,that being said we don't have to try to outdo or undermine peoples comments,really we all need to learn to agree to disagree.Its good to have different points of view most of the time.  

Like times 2

How-To-Facebook-Like-Your-Google-Search.

I wouldn't give up a 2nd for Cousins.  To me he's more like a 3rd.  

Just too unproven and I would say his ceiling is a good game manager.  

And honestly I'm rooting for the guy, but I just don't think he's worth a 2nd right now.  That isn't to say there isn't a team that wouldn't give up a 2nd rounder for him.  I just don't think he's worth it.  

That said honestly I think RG3 is going to tailspin into bust land and the Redskins should try and trade him away for a first.

That said, it's not likely that they would get that.  I think if they trade to trade away RG3 teams would be asking "what's wrong with him?" and not pull the trigger on the trade.  

RG3 will explode this season.

Brace comes off and now has a Coach who can develop him the right way.

I mean..good Lord.

Jay Gruden made Andy Dalton look good, guys. (remember that)

And yes.

Redskins should look to Cleveland to deal Cousins.

But not for a draft pick, but for Josh Gordon. (and whatever throw-ins necessary to make it happen)

We all know the Browns are a stupid mistake waiting to happen & this is what I would try to target if I'm Washington.

(gets Cousins out of the NFC Conference as well) (Hi Rams..lol)

You get RG3 another huge target in Josh Gordon along side Pierre Garcon.

Then they sign Emmanuel Sanders in FA for the Slot.

They're trying to work on a deal for Moss for cheap at the moment.

They have that stud rookie TE in Jordan Reed.

Use the draft for Defense & O-Line.

The NFC East is wide open, imo.

Shanahan quit on the team and they probably returned the favor.

The dude was controlling the Defense like the control freak he is.

If Gruden gets RG3 back to 2012 form (or close) & RG3 stays injury free?

And the Redskins can get him some weapons for his arsenal & some additional protection up front?

I can't say they will be the 10-6---2012 division champs again...

But they won't be the 3-13 crap fest they were last yr either.

If the Redskins can't get more than a 3rd rd draft choice from any team, for Kirk Cousins?

They should just keep him, imo.

They also have Brian Orakpo to dangle as well. (Franchise Tag) if need be.

RG3 will explode this season.

Brace comes off and now has a Coach who can develop him the right way.

I mean..good Lord.

Jay Gruden made Andy Dalton look good, guys. (remember that)

And yes.

Redskins should look to Cleveland to deal Cousins.

But not for a draft pick, but for Josh Gordon. (and whatever throw-ins necessary to make it happen)

We all know the Browns are a stupid mistake waiting to happen & this is what I would try to target if I'm Washington.

(gets Cousins out of the NFC Conference as well) (Hi Rams..lol)

You get RG3 another huge target in Josh Gordon along side Pierre Garcon.

Then they sign Emmanuel Sanders in FA for the Slot.

They're trying to work on a deal for Moss for cheap at the moment.

They have that stud rookie TE in Jordan Reed.

Use the draft for Defense & O-Line.

The NFC East is wide open, imo.

Shanahan quit on the team and they probably returned the favor.

The dude was controlling the Defense like the control freak he is.

If Gruden gets RG3 back to 2012 form (or close) & RG3 stays injury free?

And the Redskins can get him some weapons for his arsenal & some additional protection up front?

I can't say they will be the 10-6---2012 division champs again...

But they won't be the 3-13 crap fest they were last yr either.

If the Redskins can't get more than a 3rd rd draft choice from any team, for Kirk Cousins?

They should just keep him, imo.

They also have Brian Orakpo to dangle as well. (Franchise Tag) if need be.

haha if you think the browns will get rid of Gordon now your crazy they would just give the skins the pick they want to get him if necessary

If they can't get a second rd pick out of him...I think you have to keep him...he is great insurance policy for RGIII and it isn't like another year would cause his value to go down. At some point though you have to be all in on RGIII and get value out of Cousins because they have such little talent on defense and that OL. I would not be surprised to see him traded after the draft like during training camp if someone goes down or if a team doesn't like how the draft and FA goes. At that point his value goes up because of need and it would be a future pick....then they may get a second rounder for him. That draft was still an incredible talent pool for qbs. Fact he is a 4th rd pick is amazing because in this years draft...he is easily early 2nd rd quality.

That said honestly I think RG3 is going to tailspin into bust land and the Redskins should try and trade him away for a first.

That said, it's not likely that they would get that. I think if they trade to trade away RG3 teams would be asking "what's wrong with him?" and not pull the trigger on the trade.

I would not mind it if my team were to trade for RG3, despite his being injury prone. I would rather give up a first for him than a second or even a third for Cousins who reminds me of Christian Ponder. RG3 is a dynamic player who would play well with Adrian Peterson. I would take him over any of the QBs in this draft. The more I think about it the more I like it. However, given that Mike Zimmer is going into his first year as head coach, I see my team using the first pick on defense.

I would not mind it if my team were to trade for RG3, despite his being injury prone. I would rather give up a first for him than a second or even a third for Cousins who reminds me of Christian Ponder. RG3 is a dynamic player who would play well with Adrian Peterson. I would take him over any of the QBs in this draft. The more I think about it the more I like it. However, given that Mike Zimmer is going into his first year as head coach, I see my team using the first pick on defense.

I still like RG'knee' as well (OK I stole that one :))  

I wonder what your Vikes will do.....interesting!!

That said, it's not likely that they would get that.  I think if they trade to trade away RG3 teams would be asking "what's wrong with him?" and not pull the trigger on the trade.  

After next season, it's very possible that we wonder the same thing about Grigson re:Trent.  Not that I think he'll end up being a bust.  I want so badly for that trade to work in our favor, but it's not like we can ignore the possibility at this point, anyway.

After next season, it's very possible that we wonder the same thing about Grigson re:Trent.  Not that I think he'll end up being a bust.  I want so badly for that trade to work in our favor, but it's not like we can ignore the possibility at this point, anyway.

I'd be happy for him to just prove to be an effective tail back just to limit the damage.

Unless Trent turns into Adrian Peterson Jr. in the next two years, I don't think that trade will work out in our favor.  

Which is why you almost always don't take a RB with your first round pick.