Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Kirk Cousins: Will he stay a backup in Washington....or...?

BrentMc11

With the Combine quickly upon us, teams intensely putting together their Big Boards including their wants and needs, a rumor out of Washington says that Kirk Cousins could be had for possibly a 2nd round choice.  What would you do if you were:

• Houston
  • Cleveland
  • Jacksonville
  • Minnesota
  • etc.???

My thoughts are, right, wrong...crazy...not...that Cleveland should look to make that trade using a second rounder instead of drafting one of the rookies.  Cousins is well known throughout BIG 10 territory and plays well in all weather.  I trust him much more than an unproven Bridgewater or Manziel in the Great White North. 

Houston:  Make the trade and pick Clowney......others :)

This is my opinion...what is yours.  Lets have some fun!!

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000326630/article/report-skins-want-secondrounder-for-kirk-cousins

NFL%20Logos%20II.jpg

He still is rather unproven. Plus paying a 2nd round pick for Cousins is pretty steep at this point, considering that was the price for Alex Smith who had a lot better track record. If one of those teams, especially Minnesota could land him for say a 3rd and a future 6th round pick then I would be all for it. I would like to see him in a place where has weapons around him so if the Vikes could add a weapon or two to go along with Patterson, Peterson and Rudolph it could make sense. The Texans wouldn't be a terrible fit either. 

He still is rather unproven. Plus paying a 2nd round pick for Cousins is pretty steep at this point, considering that was the price for Alex Smith who had a lot better track record. If one of those teams, especially Minnesota could land him for say a 3rd and a future 6th round pick then I would be all for it. I would like to see him in a place where has weapons around him so if the Vikes could add a weapon or two to go along with Patterson, Peterson and Rudolph it could make sense. The Texans wouldn't be a terrible fit either. 

I agree with almost all of what you say.  Would say Cleveland seems extremely desperate...even Houston if they did?  You know what...they are desperate.   :)

I think Cousins is a starter.  If Houston traded for him AND drafted Clowney at number 1, O'Brien's boys would be back pretty quickly IMO.  What is the price?  This is why this is a fun one. 

I would give up a 2nd if I were Cleveland in a flat second. He's young, has a good arm, and experience. I would take him over any QB in this draft and wouldn't even have to think about it. Cleveland already has 2 1st rders(thanks to us) so why not give up a 2nd to get your QB. Frankly Cleveland would be stupid if they aren't on the phone already trying to get this done.

I agree with almost all of what you say.  Would say Cleveland seems extremely desperate...even Houston if they did?  You know what...they are desperate.   :)

I think Cousins is a starter.  If Houston traded for him AND drafted Clowney at number 1, O'Brien's boys would be back pretty quickly IMO.  What is the price?  This is why this is a fun one. 

I think Clowney will be an asset to whatever team drafts him. The only problem with Cousins is he has only had 4 career starts and in those starts he has a stat line of 6 TD/6 INT's, 269 YPG and a 56.8% completion percentage. I know his situation in Washington was mediocre at best and the potential is there to be a starting QB, I'm just not sure his ceiling is much higher than that of a Joe Flacco, so I'd be cautious to not overpay.

With the Combine quickly upon us, teams intensely putting together their Big Boards including their wants and needs, a rumor out of Washington says that Kirk Cousins could be had for possibly a 2nd round choice.  What would you do if you were:

• Houston
  • Cleveland
  • Jacksonville
  • Minnesota
  • etc.???

My thoughts are, right, wrong...crazy...not...that Cleveland should look to make that trade using a second rounder instead of drafting one of the rookies.  Cousins is well known throughout BIG 10 territory and plays well in all weather.  I trust him much more than an unproven Bridgewater or Manziel in the Great White North. 

This is my opinion...what is yours.  Lets have some fun!!

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000326630/article/report-skins-want-secondrounder-for-kirk-cousins

NFL%20Logos%20II.jpg

Cousins is starting caliber QB, IMO he won't stay long with Washington Pol-corrects. Where he ends up and when? Via trad or FA??? Who knows. I think those teams, mentioned in the article are astonished by Colts' rebuilding project and they want start up from scratch.

I definitely think one of the QB needy teams should go after him. Like another poster said, a 2nd rounder maybe seems a little high but Cousins has shown that he has potential to succeed in the NFL. He hasn't had a lot of time on the field but he's had more than any of the rookies, obviously, and he's looked competent at least. I'd like to see him get his chance with another team rather than back up RG3 in Washington.

If someone got him for a 3rd rounder, they'd have got themselves a steal.

I can't see Cleveland having any interest at all. We have a guy with a very similar skill set in Brian Hoyer. Cousins looked terrible last season. The only way that happens is if Kyle Shannhan somehow convinces Pettine and Farmer that he is somehow better than Hoyer, which I don't see happening. 

I think Clowney will be an asset to whatever team drafts him. The only problem with Cousins is he has only had 4 career starts and in those starts he has a stat line of 6 TD/6 INT's, 269 YPG and a 56.8% completion percentage. I know his situation in Washington was mediocre at best and the potential is there to be a starting QB, I'm just not sure his ceiling is much higher than that of a Joe Flacco, so I'd be cautious to not overpay.

Once again I agree, but I think Houston and Cleveland would have love to get to a Super Bowl or two with Cousins...errr....Flaccco :) You have got to watch overspending to consistently win the Not For Long!!  And what PicklesDeStefran said....poor Oakland...Minnesota...I will add Jacksonville...

I can't see Cleveland having any interest at all. We have a guy with a very similar skill set in Brian Hoyer. Cousins looked terrible last season. The only way that happens is if Kyle Shannhan somehow convinces Pettine and Farmer that he is somehow better than Hoyer, which I don't see happening. 

Hoyer is similar, and played very well....not going to argue that.  Cousins' however was not terrible IMO.

I like the MSU touch by the way BpG.  Is Hoyer progressing with his injury situation?

Cousins is starting caliber QB, IMO he won't stay long with Washington Pol-corrects. Where he ends up and when? Via trad or FA??? Who knows. I think those teams, mentioned in the article are astonished by Colts' rebuilding project and they want start up from scratch.

Straight up HCF!  Who would not be astonished?  Two years from almost going 0-16?  22-10 regular season?  Is there any way we got LUCK-Y?  :)

Hoyer is similar, and played very well....not going to argue that.  Cousins' however was not terrible IMO.

I like the MSU touch by the way BpG.  Is Hoyer progressing with his injury situation?

They just did a "Road to recovery" piece on him. He's running and rehabbing, working hard. Sounds as if all is well and he'll be ready for training camp. 

Cousins played very well in 2012 as did everyone on the Redskins offense. He didn't look good last season and with Kyle Shanahan being our new offensive coordinator plus having Hoyer who played better than Cousins last year as well as having the #4 overall pick, we're probably staying put. 

I think Kirk should go to Cleveland with his former OC and then the browns can use their higher picks for D and weapons for him

Kirk did his best with the garbage he had in Washington. With Cameron, Gordon and Cleveland's o line he will be a very good young QB. And not to mention they could also get a #2 WR and a RB their Offense could be real good

Ps. Would also love to see a Spartan be the one to bring the Browns out of their hole and not be wasted behind RGKnee. Go MSU!

They just did a "Road to recovery" piece on him. He's running and rehabbing, working hard. Sounds as if all is well and he'll be ready for training camp. 

Cousins played very well in 2012 as did everyone on the Redskins offense. He didn't look good last season and with Kyle Shanahan being our new offensive coordinator plus having Hoyer who played better than Cousins last year as well as having the #4 overall pick, we're probably staying put. 

I really enjoyed watching Hoyer play last year.  Good to see him up and running.

Cousins's isn't that good. I wouldn't give up a 4th let alone a 2nd for him.

How good do you really think the Bridgewaters and the Manziels are going to be...Bortles...etc?  

I think Cousins is pretty solid myself.  the 2nd really is the question, but I would definitely give a 4th...

How good do you really think the Bridgewaters and the Manziels are going to be...Bortles...etc?

I think Cousins is pretty solid myself. the 2nd really is the question, but I would definitely give a 4th...

I'd give the 2nd if they had to but if they could give a 3rd and maybe a 5th or 6th that would be great

It will end up being a 4th round pick by a team picking at the top.

Redskins have little leverage, all he is going do is sit behind RGIII and every team knows that and still trying to cope with all the draft picks lost to St Louis. So if they are really going move him, then all 31 other teams are going to make the market for him

Redskins will budge when it gets closer to draft day(might be on draft day) if the really have intentions on moving him

It will end up being a 4th round pick by a team picking at the top.

Redskins have little leverage, all he is going do is sit behind RGIII and every team knows that and still trying to cope with all the draft picks lost to St Louis. So if they are really going move him, then all 31 other teams are going to make the market for him

Redskins will budge when it gets closer to draft day(might be on draft day) if the really have intentions on moving him

Good stuff Htown...makes it interesting.

Cleveland would be a solid landing spot for him as long as Pettine is on board for the move. If they could land him for a mid round pick and hit on their two 1st round picks and add a RB like Ben Tate in free agency, then Cleveland could be a pretty solid team next year. There might be too much dis-function in that organization for anything to go right though. 

I'm surprised the Skins are so ready to deal Cousins. RG3 looked horrible this season & I don't have faith that RG3 will return to his rookie powerhouse status. You need a QB that is healthy & can win games or Gruden will get fired within a year. Owners are not giving coaches a 3 year window to flourish anymore with a deep Playoffs run. Win now as in this November & December not 2 seasons from now. 

Cleveland would be a solid landing spot for him as long as Pettine is on board for the move. If they could land him for a mid round pick and hit on their two 1st round picks and add a RB like Ben Tate in free agency, then Cleveland could be a pretty solid team next year. There might be too much dis-function in that organization for anything to go right though. 

Cleveland where NFL careers go to die. Man, I feel so sorry for Joe Thomas. I'd love to see him in blue & white. 

"Cleveland could be a pretty solid team next year"...How many decades have I heard that line now? LOL! The curse of irrelevancy that will never undergo metamorphosis. The more things change; the more they remain the same. 

I think Cousins is pretty solid myself.  the 2nd really is the question, but I would definitely give a 4th...

Good point Brent. At least Cousins have played effectively in a baptism by fire NFL offense, which means more than a couple of college hopefuls who have not faced NFL LBs or DE's yet. 

Eye in the sky film gives you more to work with than a wet behind the ears rookie in shorts & a t-shirt at the Combine. True, you can draw up plays on the chalkboard, but there is no substitute for live rounds in the pass rushers gun IMO. 

I was not that impressed with Cousins the last three games last year. He had some good and bad moments but the Skins should keep him as insurance for RG if another injury happened. He is a solid back up at this point.

Bingo! amfootball nailed it. Cousins is a safety net, who right now is raw, but so was Brady in 2001 & look where #12 is now. Proper instruction & tutelage means everything. Under the right guidance, Cousins could easily lead a franchise IMO. 

A 3rd round pick sounds about right. 2 is too high. Cousins body of work is not extensive enough to warrant that. I can't give up a 2nd round selection on a tiny window of NFL game experience as a GM. 

Straight up HCF!  Who would not be astonished?  Two years from almost going 0-16?  22-10 regular season?  Is there any way we got LUCK-Y?   :)

If Grigs can't resign Hasselbeck once his contract expires, I'd be on board with Cousins as our primary backup. Never gonna happen, but we can dream about it can we brother?  :P

I see something special in Cousins like a rundown house with good bones i.e. solid potential to become really good maybe even great under the right circumstances. 

Like I said before, I crave NFL experience because a great college career can lead to horrible draft selections say Josh McDaniels in Denver with Tim Tebow for instance. Enough said...

I'm torn on this one Brent. JJ Watt who graduated from UW-Madison is my guy & I will always follow his promising NFL career forever. Yes, JJ needs some additional help, but Clowney acted like a lazy celebrity at the University Of South Carolina. I hate guys who have done nothing on the NFL level acting like they have already arrived, don't have to work hard, & they are the big man on center stage when they haven't accomplished a darn thing yet. This is the big leagues son. Just shut the hades up, listen, & go to work. In short, I have serious reservations about Clowney's work ethic. 

You are right though: Houston is 1 franchise QB away from doing serious damage in the AFC South. That team is loaded & very, very dangerous. Yes, I love my beloved Colts, but the Texans scare the bleep out of me. If they get an elite QB, our division just got bloodier & a heck of a lot tougher. 

Cleveland where NFL careers go to die. Man, I feel so sorry for Joe Thomas. I'd love to see him in blue & white. 

"Cleveland could be a pretty solid team next year"...How many decades have I heard that line now? LOL! The curse of irrelevancy that will never undergo metamorphosis. The more things change; the more they remain the same. 

I had a lot of if's before I said they could be a good team. I don't think it'll all happen.

I too would not trade for Cousins. How many back-up QBs have come in and played well only to disappoint when they are named the starter on another team. I can think of Matt Flynn, Kevin Kolb, & Matt Cassel. Back -ups that have had continued success once thy are the starters seem to stay on the same team. For example, Foles and Kapernick did not change teams. The only QB in the recent past that has had relative success as a starter after being a backup on another team is Matt Shaub. Alex Smith does not count, as he had been the starter originally in SF. Can you think of anyone else?

So, no, I am not giving an early round draft pick for Cousins.

I too would not trade for Cousins. How many back-up QBs have come in and played well only to disappoint when they are named the starter on another team. I can think of Matt Flynn, Kevin Kolb, & Matt Cassel. Back -ups that have had continued success once thy are the starters seem to stay on the same team. For example, Foles and Kapernick did not change teams. The only QB in the recent past that has had relative success as a starter after being a backup on another team is Matt Shaub. Alex Smith does not count, as he had been the starter originally in SF. Can you think of anyone else?

So, no, I am not giving an early round draft pick for Cousins.

Kolb was good till AZ line got him killed

Kolb was never consistently good. He had two good games backing up McNabb. Afterwards, everyone thought he was the second coming of Dan Marino. When he competed against Vick for the starting job, he lost. He never did well in Arizona. Those 2-3 games in which he played well were aberrations.

Kolb was good till AZ line got him killed

Not really. He may have had potential but his production was still very similar in AZ as it was in Philly. He had a chance to be a starter there too but he still wound up missing time and has not played a full season yet. He also throws interceptions like crazy and always has honestly lol.